post #901 of 1234 Old 07-21-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtCocain View Post

Thanks, yes. I am more interested to know which will give me the better sound. The neighbors i will worry when I get a complaint smile.gif

In my case it's eliminated virtually all the unwanted vibrations that were causing things to rattle. That alone tends to make things sound better because there's no longer a cacophony of noise interrupting my viewing pleasure.
KurtCocain likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1234 Old 07-28-2013, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

If you get a chance, come back and let us know how things worked out?..

So far so good. I talked to the neighbor that shares my living room wall and he said he didn't hear anything. That was only after a few days but he hasn't come over and said anything else since. Nobody else has come knocking either luckily. I'm glad I went with the PB instead of the SB. This room is large and I've noticed that this sub certainly isn't overkill. I'm sure that people can hear it but hopefully it's minimal and not too bad. I'd hate to be the ass bothering people, but at the same time I'd hate to not have a sub if people don't even mind.

Denon 2113, Klipsch RF-52, RC-35, RB-61, SVS PB-1000
Chicago
post #903 of 1234 Old 07-28-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by auceny View Post

So far so good. I talked to the neighbor that shares my living room wall and he said he didn't hear anything. That was only after a few days but he hasn't come over and said anything else since. Nobody else has come knocking either luckily. I'm glad I went with the PB instead of the SB. This room is large and I've noticed that this sub certainly isn't overkill. I'm sure that people can hear it but hopefully it's minimal and not too bad. I'd hate to be the ass bothering people, but at the same time I'd hate to not have a sub if people don't even mind.

Ah that’s great! You’re quite fortunate from the sound of things! Heck I’ve gotten into plenty of trouble being in different houses. Yeah the PB has more to give in the lower frequencies so since it’s no bother, you made the right choice! What have you listened to so far?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #904 of 1234 Old 07-29-2013, 12:44 AM

Liked: 11
I received my pb1000 from SVS last Thursday and have several issues. The first one was that the unit did not work out of the box. A huge disappointment since I was very excited to hear the sub after reading good reviews. I thought it may be on my end so I double and triple checked everything before I called up SVS. When I was 100% sure it wasn't my setup, I called up SVS and they offered to send me a new one, or have me open the box from the back and do some diagnostics, I went with the 2nd option. Looking at the amp, everything appeared fine. I followed the wires going to the drivers and felt that one of them was not connected, so I simply plug it back in, and voila, the sub works!

I have used the sub over the weekend about 8-10 hrs and it sounds great! However, I find that it is difficult for it to wake up from standby. When it is on standby (red light) I have to turn up volume really loud ( louder than my normal listening volume ) and wait for a very strong bass signal in order for the subwoofer to turn on. I've adjust the gain on the receiver (Denon 1913) and increase the gain by +5 above what Audyssey set it as, but it doesn't really help. When I'm watching movies from my cable box at normal listening volume, the sub would turn off at certain times, I assume from not receiving enough bass signal. However I know that there is bass and the volume is normal. I could just set the sub to always ON instead of auto/standby, but it's kind of annoying that I can't use Standby option with consistency.

The last issue is that there is a faint but audible 'space like' noise coming from the driver. It's almost like white noise but not quite. It is intermittent, doesn't come on all the time..but when it does, it doesn't go away, even if I unplug the signal input from the AVR. The only way to get rid of it then is to turn the sub off and back on. It is audible from my couch which is 10 feet away, and I find it very annoying. Is this normal with SVS subs?

Any tips, advices, suggestions before I call up SVS? Thanks!

Sony 70" KDL-70R550A - Definitive Tech BP8 - Definitive Tech Procenter 2000 - Polk r15 - SVS PB1000
post #905 of 1234 Old 07-29-2013, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
Quote:

In your situation the best advice imo would be to make that call. If a new sub is warranted, maybe they can take care of you in a way that you “don’t” have to go subless for a few days or so if they feel you do have a problem??

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #906 of 1234 Old 07-29-2013, 04:42 AM

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionboy View Post

I have used the sub over the weekend about 8-10 hrs and it sounds great! However, I find that it is difficult for it to wake up from standby. When it is on standby (red light) I have to turn up volume really loud ( louder than my normal listening volume ) and wait for a very strong bass signal in order for the subwoofer to turn on. I've adjust the gain on the receiver (Denon 1913) and increase the gain by +5 above what Audyssey set it as, but it doesn't really help. When I'm watching movies from my cable box at normal listening volume, the sub would turn off at certain times, I assume from not receiving enough bass signal. However I know that there is bass and the volume is normal. I could just set the sub to always ON instead of auto/standby, but it's kind of annoying that I can't use Standby option with consistency.

The last issue is that there is a faint but audible 'space like' noise coming from the driver. It's almost like white noise but not quite. It is intermittent, doesn't come on all the time..but when it does, it doesn't go away, even if I unplug the signal input from the AVR. The only way to get rid of it then is to turn the sub off and back on. It is audible from my couch which is 10 feet away, and I find it very annoying. Is this normal with SVS subs?

I wasn't happy with how much volume was required to wake up the sub, either, so I ran a trigger wire. That was easy for me, since the sub sits not far from my receiver. It works great--the sub comes on immediately as soon as the receiver is powered on.

I'm trying to imagine what a "space like" noise is, but if it's intermittent it could be a connection problem in the amp or a failing component. I would probably want this taken care of.
post #907 of 1234 Old 07-29-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

In your situation the best advice imo would be to make that call. If a new sub is warranted, maybe they can take care of you in a way that you “don’t” have to go subless for a few days or so if they feel you do have a problem??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

I wasn't happy with how much volume was required to wake up the sub, either, so I ran a trigger wire. That was easy for me, since the sub sits not far from my receiver. It works great--the sub comes on immediately as soon as the receiver is powered on.

I'm trying to imagine what a "space like" noise is, but if it's intermittent it could be a connection problem in the amp or a failing component. I would probably want this taken care of.

My amp doesn't have 12v trigger output so it doesn't look like I can use that option. frown.gif

The best way I can explain the noise is if you cover both your ears with your hands in a quiet room, you can hear wind-like noises, now imagine hearing that coming from the subwoofer 10-15 feet away.

I'm not sure if a replacement will result in the same problems, if so I would rather go with a different brand/company.

Sony 70" KDL-70R550A - Definitive Tech BP8 - Definitive Tech Procenter 2000 - Polk r15 - SVS PB1000
post #908 of 1234 Old 07-29-2013, 09:51 AM

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionboy View Post

My amp doesn't have 12v trigger output so it doesn't look like I can use that option. frown.gif

The best way I can explain the noise is if you cover both your ears with your hands in a quiet room, you can hear wind-like noises, now imagine hearing that coming from the subwoofer 10-15 feet away.

I'm not sure if a replacement will result in the same problems, if so I would rather go with a different brand/company.

Does your amp have a switched outlet? If not, I'm not sure what to suggest. I've read that auto-on sensitivity is an issue with many makes of sub, but I have no objective comparison.

I'd tell SVS about the noise and see if you can get a new amp (or a new sub). I don't hear any such noise (although I will not claim that my hearing is anything to go by). The only thing I can think of is a very low frequency signal. Below the port resonance frequency things can get a bit odd. I've run some sub test audio files that go down to 5 Hz. At some point, the port seems to be pretty much like a hole in an inflatable water floaty--any pressure generated by the driver just wooshes out. It kind of does sound like a wind or exhaling sound. I have no idea whether prolonged low frequency signals will produce a prolonged wooshing sound, or if this is just a transient pressure bleeding. I'm certainly no expert, and this is just anecdotal. I would get the sub replaced.

BTW, I've had my PB-1000 for several months now, and I'm quite pleased with it. It's in a large space, about 3800 cubic feet, but it can still thump. It won't crush my chest, but it can shake the whole house and can be heard from the street.
post #909 of 1234 Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I haven't seen the back plate of the PB-1000 up close, but I imagine it has both an input for both Left and Right channels like other SVS subs. If so, use a Y-Adapter to plug the LFE cable from your receiver into both ports on the sub. This should help the sub to wake up and stay awake. You may need to lower the gain a hair as using a y adapter sometimes results in a gain of 3db. As for the noise, you may have a defective unit so I would call up SVS. Their customer service is excellent so they will take care of you.
post #910 of 1234 Old 07-29-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

Does your amp have a switched outlet? If not, I'm not sure what to suggest. I've read that auto-on sensitivity is an issue with many makes of sub, but I have no objective comparison.

I'd tell SVS about the noise and see if you can get a new amp (or a new sub). I don't hear any such noise (although I will not claim that my hearing is anything to go by). The only thing I can think of is a very low frequency signal. Below the port resonance frequency things can get a bit odd. I've run some sub test audio files that go down to 5 Hz. At some point, the port seems to be pretty much like a hole in an inflatable water floaty--any pressure generated by the driver just wooshes out. It kind of does sound like a wind or exhaling sound. I have no idea whether prolonged low frequency signals will produce a prolonged wooshing sound, or if this is just a transient pressure bleeding. I'm certainly no expert, and this is just anecdotal. I would get the sub replaced.

BTW, I've had my PB-1000 for several months now, and I'm quite pleased with it. It's in a large space, about 3800 cubic feet, but it can still thump. It won't crush my chest, but it can shake the whole house and can be heard from the street.

No switch outlet. I agree it sounds very good in my 3000 cubic feet room, very low and clean bass, that's why I want to give it another chance. Hopefully my replacement will not have these 2 issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

I haven't seen the back plate of the PB-1000 up close, but I imagine it has both an input for both Left and Right channels like other SVS subs. If so, use a Y-Adapter to plug the LFE cable from your receiver into both ports on the sub. This should help the sub to wake up and stay awake. You may need to lower the gain a hair as using a y adapter sometimes results in a gain of 3db. As for the noise, you may have a defective unit so I would call up SVS. Their customer service is excellent so they will take care of you.

Thanks for the tip. I agree SVS has been good to work with so far.

post #911 of 1234 Old 08-03-2013, 11:51 AM

Liked: 13
Hi all

I've been reading this forum (subwoofer section) actively for 3 weeks now but just now decided to join and post smile.gif

I'm about to buy my first subwoofer, SB-1000 has the lead right now. It's a lot of money for a student but as an AV enthusiast and a musicology student I decided to go for it. I still have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone could give me an answer for. Currently I have two Wharfedale 10.2 bookshelves and a Wharfedale 10 CM centre speaker on an Onkyo HT-r548 receiver.

1) Our living room is 1950 ft^3. I have never had any complaints from our neighbours and I would like to keep it that way. We live in an apartment on the first floor and the only neighbours are upstairs and beyond the wall on the other side of the room 16 feet away. Would SB-1000 give us enough bass without upsetting the neighbours (too much).

2) WAF is an obstacle (believe me, if you think you had it rough, you don't know anything wink.gif ), and the gloss white SB-1000 would be acceptable. Does anyone have photos of the white sub in their AV/living room?

3) I listen to latin music (cuban timba) 75 % of the time. There's a lot of nice funky bass played by 5-string electric basses in timba but they are not generally mixed that high. With 10-15 musicians in a band the bass is just an instrument among others. It's easy to hear the effect of a sub if you listen to music that has an emphasis on low frequencies but does anyone have experience with latin dance music (salsa, timba etc) and subwoofers? One song I'd really like to hear with a subwoofer: http://youtu.be/77FNPWo_v5U? (Pupy Pedroso - Báilalo hasta fuera). The big bass hits home at 3:08 and keeps to low notes after that.

To sum it up I'm looking for a musical subwoofer that gives detail and feeling. Would SB-1000 give me that given that I'm a sub newbie?

On a sidenote, as I haven't found any detailed reviews of subwoofers and latin music, I plan to write one when I get the sub. I've been making a list of songs with great low-freq stuff and I plan to review the effect a sub has on Latin music. I know there are a lot of people listening to that kind of music and I think many would like to hear if getting a sub would be worth it for them.
post #912 of 1234 Old 08-03-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 838
The sb1000 will serve you very well assuming your wife doesnt read your post.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #913 of 1234 Old 08-05-2013, 01:15 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The sb1000 will serve you very well assuming your wife doesnt read your post.

Thank you for your input smile.gif Also, she knows that I appreciate our clean, organized apartment and I think she would respect me going an extra mile to get us something she would approve of. Respect the WAF = respect your wife!
post #914 of 1234 Old 08-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Liked: 67
N00b, reporting for abuse.

Just moved, which took a bit. Unpacked, discovered my sub was deceased. Ordered a PB1000 through Amazon this AM, hoping for the best. 13'x13'x8+' room, but there are no doors, so technically, the entire house is one space (1000sqft or so living space). It'll be supporting my venerable (read: old) CSW Models Six and Seventeen, fed from my almost as old Onkyo (pre-HDMI, has S-Video) receiver.

The size and accuracy of the SB would have been welcome (one wall is an arch, one bears the door to the kitchen, and a radiator absorbs a yard of another wall), but I couldn't see it dealing with all that open space.

How bad an idea would it be to fit a removable plug (Nerf football, maybe cut in half?) to the port, and running it "sealed" while listening to music?

That might be the highest parentheses:words ratio in my internet career.
post #915 of 1234 Old 08-10-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post

Just moved, which took a bit. Unpacked, discovered my sub was deceased. Ordered a PB1000 through Amazon this AM, hoping for the best. 13'x13'x8+' room, but there are no doors, so technically, the entire house is one space (1000sqft or so living space). It'll be supporting my venerable (read: old) CSW Models Six and Seventeen, fed from my almost as old Onkyo (pre-HDMI, has S-Video) receiver.

The size and accuracy of the SB would have been welcome (one wall is an arch, one bears the door to the kitchen, and a radiator absorbs a yard of another wall), but I couldn't see it dealing with all that open space.

How bad an idea would it be to fit a removable plug (Nerf football, maybe cut in half?) to the port, and running it "sealed" while listening to music?

That might be the highest parentheses:words ratio in my internet career.
Hmmm I dunno if I would plug that port. You should email Ed at SVS and he can tell you if you can or not. I just recvd this sub maybe 2 weeks ago and I love it for music. For a ported sub it's pretty tight and controlled. My room is only 18x12.

-46" SAMSUNG-ENERGY RC-50'S-ENERGY RC-LCR-ENERGY RC-10'S-PSA XV15se-PIONEER ELITE SC-25-OPPO BDP 103Dhttp://www.avsforum.com/g/a/1459339/default/
post #916 of 1234 Old 08-10-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, you certainly came to the right forum at least... wink.gif

Quote:

Plugging the port would be an ill advised strategy. SVS does make subwoofers designed with that ability, but the PB1000 is not among them (otherwise they would list that as one of it's features). Of greater concern is the space though; if the total open space is really 1000 SF then you have at least 8000 ft^3 if the ceilings are merely 8' tall, which I suspect they won't be. That is absolutely cavernous, and that little PB1000 will simply be overwhelmed. Unless there's some way to physically section off an area I'm afraid you're going to need a lot of very large subwoofers if you want to hear the bass at all.

post #917 of 1234 Old 08-10-2013, 07:18 PM

Fair enough, Tang.

Jim: you're correct, I rebuilt a section of wall, and a 4×8 sheet hangs from the crown molding to the baseboard, so it's closer to 9', except in the larger bedroom, which has a drop ceiling. Living space is listed at 1070, the only doors are to the exterior, basement, bathroom and mudroom. Realistically, including the stairwell, it would be over 9000 cuft.

I can't, nor do I wish to pressurize the whole house. I have curtains in the portals to control how much I air-condition. I thought about sandwiching high mass vinyl between the curtains, but that wouldn't be remotely soundproof.

I can position the PB adjacent to the couch, and hope for the best, and then add this to the list of reasons to locate the living room/media room to an upstairs space, where standard sized portals promote the hanging of a door.
post #918 of 1234 Old 08-11-2013, 04:55 AM

Upon further reflection (no pun intended), the curtains may help more than I've assumed. I don't need soundproofing, I need to interfere with airflow. If the curtains enable me to air condition the enclosed rooms 5-10 degrees cooler than the hall and stairs, they might limit the volume the sub will "see" as well.

A little leakage would probably help more than hurt, as the room is disturbingly cube-shaped.
post #919 of 1234 Old 08-11-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't, nor do I wish to pressurize the whole house. I have curtains in the portals to control how much I air-condition. I thought about sandwiching high mass vinyl between the curtains, but that wouldn't be remotely soundproof.

You may not want to pressurize the entire space, but that won't prevent the sub from attempting to do that very thing. It's how they work I'm afraid.

Since a subwoofer will always try to fill everything within the physical boundaries you may get some discernible results from the type of barrier you're proposing, but I can't say for certain because I've never attempted anything like that. Perhaps someone else has and will chime in with their experience.

post #920 of 1234 Old 08-11-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

You may not want to pressurize the entire space, but that won't prevent the sub from attempting to do that very thing. It's how they work I'm afraid.

Oh, I get that, I meant I don't have the floor space, budget, or space between houses to fill the entire house with 19Hz @ -3dB. wink.gif

Absolute worst case, I give up and return the sub. Second worst case, I have to wait until I finish renovations sufficient to get 20th century electrical on the second floor, and remove 1977's finest paneling from the larger room upstairs, and then hang a door. Third worst case, it kinda works, and I get something going on below 50Hz.

I have no idea what ill will these people bore towards doors. They were all chopped up and made into work benches in the basement.
post #921 of 1234 Old 08-11-2013, 03:38 PM

Liked: 10
Considering the PB or CB 1000, currently have a Definitive technology ProSub1000 and wondering if this would be an upgrade. The room is my living room which is about 16x13 .
post #922 of 1234 Old 08-11-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhunter View Post

Considering the PB or CB 1000, currently have a Definitive technology ProSub1000 and wondering if this would be an upgrade. The room is my living room which is about 16x13 .

Depends upon what you're looking to achieve, and how the sub would be used (HT, music, some combination of both). Your room is small enough so any of them will work up to their full potential, but if depth is what you're after I suspect the PB1000 would be a noticeable improvement. DefTech is notorious for embellishing the spec's they provide, whereas SVS is known for the opposite. The PB1000 has an honest F3 of 18Hz, but I would be willing to bet the ProSub doesn't (in spite of the fact DefTech claims that).

post #923 of 1234 Old 08-11-2013, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My PB-1000 is also hard to wake from standby, I switched it to always on nowadays...
post #924 of 1234 Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Depends upon what you're looking to achieve, and how the sub would be used (HT, music, some combination of both). Your room is small enough so any of them will work up to their full potential, but if depth is what you're after I suspect the PB1000 would be a noticeable improvement. DefTech is notorious for embellishing the spec's they provide, whereas SVS is known for the opposite. The PB1000 has an honest F3 of 18Hz, but I would be willing to bet the ProSub doesn't (in spite of the fact DefTech claims that).

This is for movies specifically as I do not listen to music much on this system. I am looking for something that goes deeper and offers a little more presence. The Def Tech is great for the money, just want to move up to the next step and have always had good luck with SVS. Considering getting the Compact and the PB to test them out in comparison.
post #925 of 1234 Old 08-12-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Considering getting the Compact and the PB to test them out in comparison.

What's a "compact'?

post #926 of 1234 Old 08-12-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Perhaps he's referring to the Outlaw LFM-1 compact? It is a discontinued 10" ported sub of similar design to the plus and EX models.
post #927 of 1234 Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM

I was referring to the SB-1000 which is labeled as a compact

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb-1000
post #928 of 1234 Old 08-12-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was referring to the SB-1000 which is labeled as a compact

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb-1000

You can probably save yourself some time and just go for the PB1000. Given your circumstances that's what you'll more than likely end up keeping. And that's coming from someone who has heard both... wink.gif

post #929 of 1234 Old 08-12-2013, 03:09 PM

Thx Jim..makes sense, I think if I tested both out it would be hard not to go for the depth and feel that you mention in your review. I am placing the sub in the rear of the room next to the listening position so thought the sealed box may be better suited. After talking with SVS neither have an advantage in that placement scenario.
post #930 of 1234 Old 08-19-2013, 12:10 PM

It turned up Saturday! Haven't had time to really wring it out, but a quick setup and listening test (the cable's music channels, and Skyfall) reveals some promise. I need to dig out my RatShack dB meter and generate some test tones.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page