No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #993 of 1234 Old 09-19-2013, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post

Has any one else noticed a drop off in bass in the 50 to 80hz region with the Pb1000? Or is it just.me having room nodes.

I had this problem before, it's placement. Try rotate the sub to fire in a different direction. Or just different placement all together. I assume you have a measurement mic? (This also means that a sealed sub with gradual roll off is better for your room, vs the more flat pb1000)
post #994 of 1234 Old 09-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post

I had this problem before, it's placement. Try rotate the sub to fire in a different direction. Or just different placement all together. I assume you have a measurement mic? (This also means that a sealed sub with gradual roll off is better for your room, vs the more flat pb1000)

Well actually I opted to switch it with the downward firing and slightly more powerful PC12-NSD cylindrical sub. It's being delivered tomorrow, just in time for the weekend. Unfortunately I'm working another long day Saturday ( I've got to pay for these things somehow ) but will have lots of time on Sunday to play. If you scroll back you'll see the logic behind the upgrade - being the smaller footprint ( allowing for more placement positions ) and the downward firing driver, in addition to an increase in output. I'm sure it's going to be great smile.gif

post #995 of 1234 Old 09-20-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

We need to find you a new sub to have fun with smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Agreed.

Let me know what you have in mind - I can probably come up with a suggestion or three... wink.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #996 of 1234 Old 09-20-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post

Quote:

Well actually I opted to switch it with the downward firing and slightly more powerful PC12-NSD cylindrical sub. It's being delivered tomorrow, just in time for the weekend. Unfortunately I'm working another long day Saturday ( I've got to pay for these things somehow ) but will have lots of time on Sunday to play. If you scroll back you'll see the logic behind the upgrade - being the smaller footprint ( allowing for more placement positions ) and the downward firing driver, in addition to an increase in output. I'm sure it's going to be great smile.gif

With the PC be in the same physical location as the PB was? If the drop off you're experiencing is due to a room null changing the driver orientation isn't going to prove all that beneficial I'm afraid. The wavelength is going to be the same, even with the PC's driver being perpendicular to what the PB's was, meaning the null will still exist.

post #997 of 1234 Old 09-20-2013, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

With the PC be in the same physical location as the PB was? If the drop off you're experiencing is due to a room null changing the driver orientation isn't going to prove all that beneficial I'm afraid. The wavelength is going to be the same, even with the PC's driver being perpendicular to what the PB's was, meaning the null will still exist.

Well the PC opens up more placement options in fact, so will be able to fit it into a couple more spots (obviously smile.gif ). Thus far I've been relying on bass sweeps for frequency response at the LP, but will be ordering an UMM-6 as soon as it's off back order from my Canadian dealer. I'd order the UMIK ( as it's JUST off back order ) but it will take even longer from Hong Kong plus I'd have to deal with duty and extra taxes. I'm confident I'll get this up to snuff eventually, if not immediately. Worse case scenario I've just replaced one sub for a more powerful one with a better amp.

post #998 of 1234 Old 09-20-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Well the PC opens up more placement options in fact, so will be able to fit it into a couple more spots (obviously smile.gif ). Thus far I've been relying on bass sweeps for frequency response at the LP, but will be ordering an UMM-6 as soon as it's off back order from my Canadian dealer. I'd order the UMIK ( as it's JUST off back order ) but it will take even longer from Hong Kong plus I'd have to deal with duty and extra taxes. I'm confident I'll get this up to snuff eventually, if not immediately. Worse case scenario I've just replaced one sub for a more powerful one with a better amp.

Jim is bang-on so try to be flexible and experiment with subwoofer position and/or listening location. Sometimes moving either even a few feet can get you out of a mid-bass null and into a more benign/neutral modal pattern. Having the ability to map out the modal pattern and peaks/nulls is helpful as you'll be able to spot problematic combinations right away and avoid them.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #999 of 1234 Old 09-20-2013, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post

Jim is bang-on so try to be flexible and experiment with subwoofer position and/or listening location. Sometimes moving either even a few feet can get you out of a mid-bass null and into a more benign/neutral modal pattern. Having the ability to map out the modal pattern and peaks/nulls is helpful as you'll be able to spot problematic combinations right away and avoid them.

Will do Ed. Again I'm sure that I'll get there one way or the other. I'm already pleased with the level of service I've got from your Canadian distributor Sonic Boom Audio - and have every confidence that the SVS is going to be an excellent addition to my home theater ( or as others like to call it, their living room wink.gif )

post #1000 of 1234 Old 09-20-2013, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Well I got my PC12 in today, and though I've only had time to calibrate it in one position, I can tell I'll be happier with it. First off, where the PB1000 had me turn the gain to the 12 o'clock position to get within the requisite +/- 3db in Auddyssey, this gets there at 1/4 gain, or the 9 o'clock position I suppose. Set at 1/4, the bass is absolutely UNBELIEVABLE from it for my room . I had time to run a bass sweep, and although I still have some work to do with room nulls, the sheer power was stunning! literal waves of bass hitting me. I ( according to the bass sweeps ) am even getting a substantial amount at 15hz! .. Very very impressive. Even at low levels ( as I'm listing to music after work at the moment at - 45 on the Denon ) It puts out a very complimentary and refined oomph. I'll look forward to messing around with my USB mic when it comes in, but in the mean time I can say I'm quite happy. Sweet subwoofer man!

post #1001 of 1234 Old 09-20-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:

Well I got my PC12 in today, and though I've only had time to calibrate it in one position, I can tell I'll be happier with it. First off, where the PB1000 had me turn the gain to the 12 o'clock position to get within the requisite +/- 3db in Auddyssey, this gets there at 1/4 gain, or the 9 o'clock position I suppose. Set at 1/4, the bass is absolutely UNBELIEVABLE from it for my room . I had time to run a bass sweep, and although I still have some work to do with room nulls, the sheer power was stunning! literal waves of bass hitting me. I ( according to the bass sweeps ) am even getting a substantial amount at 15hz! .. Very very impressive. Even at low levels ( as I'm listing to music after work at the moment at - 45 on the Denon ) It puts out a very complimentary and refined oomph. I'll look forward to messing around with my USB mic when it comes in, but in the mean time I can say I'm quite happy. Sweet subwoofer man!

Congrats! Glad that worked out so well for you. biggrin.gif

New sub day is always a happy day!!!
Sean Spamilton likes this.

post #1002 of 1234 Old 09-21-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 70
Quote:

The NSD subs are definitely a step-up over the 1000 series - and you also get the added benefit of the smaller footprint and more placement flexibility - the PC form factor can't be beat in that respect. Glad it's working out well for you!
steve nn and Sean Spamilton like this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #1003 of 1234 Old 09-21-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I keep meaning to come back and post my impressions of the SB-1000 in my computer desktop setup. Work is keeping me too busy to write up something long (which was my intent). Now that it has broken in (or it broke in my listening, depending on your perspective), this subs is awesome for a computer desktop setup. I have a Mirage Prestige S10 sub (same as Energy V-SW10 sub). The Mirage is generally considered a musical sub for the $300 range. But most of the time I left it off. Just didn't impress me enough.

But the SB-1000. . . WOW! I think it's a combination of the much better SQ AND being able to use a 80hz crossover (due to the 80hz high pass filter). I'm listening to EDM much more now because of how it creates just a more engulfing soundfield with the awesome bass response.

So for anyone on the fence about getting the SB-1000 for a computer desktop setup or for a small room for music listening, I don't see how you could be disappointed unless your expectations are way out of whack for what you can get in this price range smile.gif

I'm fielding options for my own computer room, which also houses my two channel setup. A couple questions smile.gif
What's the size of your desktop setup's room?
What's the useful extension of the SB1000 in your room?

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #1004 of 1234 Old 09-26-2013, 01:29 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdan View Post

Mine seemed to take about ~12hrs. Not long at all I thought. The biggest difference made was upping the gain on the sub dial to 2 o'clock. I then did a re-EQ with Audyssey and the sub trim was set to 0.5dB. With a reference offset of 10 for TV and 0 for BDP it is ideal. My sub is corner reinforced as this was the best crawl location I could determine with my aging ears.

I was used to "bass all the time" with cheap subs. Muddy and clouded during TV and BDP. I thought that was what it is supposed to be like. Now it is subtle when it's supposed to be and impacting when called on. "I've seen/heard the light" so-to-speak with a more quality sub like the PB! I'm also finding it really tight for music which I was surprised.
I think this is my issue with the PB-1000 also. Came from some piece of shite Sony sub to this and Im used to bass booming and being there all the time. THis sub is more like a speaker for the low range, not a boom machine. My problem now is I'm running my ipod through the sub so I can use the high pass out to my amp (have a 2 channel system) and I have the volume at 10 oclock ish. But people are saying 2 oclock is the best setting... Could it be the headphone volume on my ipod shouldnt be maxed? maybe like 2 notches down?
post #1005 of 1234 Old 09-26-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
Quote:

Congrats! cool.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #1006 of 1234 Old 09-26-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyM22 View Post

I have the volume at 10 oclock ish. But people are saying 2 oclock is the best setting... Could it be the headphone volume on my ipod shouldnt be maxed? maybe like 2 notches down?

That's very general advice you have gotten that probably doesn't hold true for many situations because the gain(volume) setting is dependent on the strength of the input signal AND the bass response of your sub in your room relative to where you are listening. So for one room, 10 might be right. For another with the exact same equipment playing the same song the same way, could be 12 because of where the sub is relevant to the listener and how room acoustics are affecting bass output.

At the same time, some headphone amps on tablets, phones, etc. may work better if turned down a notch or two. And it depends on whether or not you are using replaygain/volume leveling on music playback or adding bass EQ boost. The trick is that you don't want your iPod to be clipping the signal.

post #1007 of 1234 Old 10-01-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 94
Still very impressed with my pb-1000. I can't wait to hear how it does in over 10000 cubic feet lol. I should have a good feeling of it after this weekend since we move into the new place tomorrow.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #1008 of 1234 Old 10-03-2013, 11:07 AM

Liked: 11
Can someone measure the stock PB-1000 feet on the 15" side? I need to know the maximum width measuring from the outside of each foot. It would be greatly appreciated!

Jon
post #1009 of 1234 Old 12-08-2013, 11:13 AM

Hello Friends

I purchased a new SB12-NSD and I think there is a problem. Sometimes, during very deep bass passages, the entire sub vibrates and then rattles. The sub is on level hard wood flooring. It's not often, but it does rattle. Is this normal for a sealed sub?

Any help is appreciated,

Thank you.

post #1010 of 1234 Old 12-08-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
No, that's not normal. It sounds as though something (the driver?) is loose. If it's not something as simple as tightening a couple of screws, I'd contact SVS and have them trouble-shoot it with you over the phone.
cel4145 likes this.
post #1011 of 1234 Old 12-08-2013, 05:14 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Still very impressed with my pb-1000. I can't wait to hear how it does in over 10000 cubic feet lol. I should have a good feeling of it after this weekend since we move into the new place tomorrow.

Did you post your observations of this sub in this size space somewhere?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

post #1012 of 1234 Old 12-09-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

No, that's not normal. It sounds as though something (the driver?) is loose. If it's not something as simple as tightening a couple of screws, I'd contact SVS and have them trouble-shoot it with you over the phone.

Oh dear. That is terrible news. I really cannot be arsed to get it exchanged. I'll try tightening the screws. Thanks for the response.

-SadPanda.

post #1013 of 1234 Old 12-09-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitaface View Post

Did you post your observations of this sub in this size space somewhere?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

i havent posted my results anywhere yet because i still only have one pb1000 and i was really wanting to wait till i had two of them. But i can tell you im really impressed. i have it near field on the left side of the main listening position. obviously there isnt any pressurization going on but it does still perform admirably at the volumes i listen at in here. the rest of my speakers are the newer Pioneer towers and i just picked up the center channel. ill grab a pair of the bookshelves as soon as they go on sale. tongue.gif. I cannot turn it up too loud in this space because the ringing starts to get really bad (17' ceilings, hardwood floors, big open space). im really only adding the second one to minimize localization.

i know no one would ever recommend a sub like this in a space this big, but i bet this setup would be plenty for most sane people. but then again, those people wouldnt be coming on here if they were sane, would they!! biggrin.gif

it may be a couple of years till i can start building my next dedicated space, but until then, im satisfied with the way this setup sounds.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #1014 of 1234 Old 12-09-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Strangely, I tried the subwoofer again with the same song at the same levels and I could not reproduce the rattling. It's very odd.

post #1015 of 1234 Old 12-10-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadPanda83 View Post

Strangely, I tried the subwoofer again with the same song at the same levels and I could not reproduce the rattling. It's very odd.

I'm with eljay; grab a screwdriver and try snugging down everything. If the driver was bad I doubt the sound would come and go using the same source material.

post #1016 of 1234 Old 01-01-2014, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I wish to add a second sub to go with a PB1000. What would be a good idea? Considerations: I wish to spend less on the second sub, and I'm looking for Canadian retailers. Thanks.
post #1017 of 1234 Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunx View Post

What would be a good idea? Considerations: I wish to spend less on the second sub, and I'm looking for Canadian retailers. Thanks.

In truth, a good idea is to encourage you to ignore the specifications of your request. Why? Dumbing down a subwoofer system is "NEVER" a good idea.

I think SVS is your best bet for a Canadian supplied subwoofer. At minimum, add a second PB-1000 to match your current subwoofer.

Please, in all sincerity, do not dumb your subwoofer system down by introducing a mismatched, weaker subwoofer.

Please.
post #1018 of 1234 Old 01-01-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
I wish to add a second sub to go with a PB1000. What would be a good idea?
Another PB-1000.
Quote:
Considerations: I wish to spend less on the second sub, and I'm looking for Canadian retailers.
Don't cheap out on a second sub. Get another PB-1000 from sonicboomaudio.com.
steve nn likes this.
post #1019 of 1234 Old 01-01-2014, 07:27 AM

Liked: 17
Canada has an SVS retailer
Sonicboomaudio.com

Great guys, easy to deal with

GAMERTAG: ORYX

post #1020 of 1234 Old 01-01-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunx View Post

I wish to add a second sub to go with a PB1000. What would be a good idea? Considerations: I wish to spend less on the second sub, and I'm looking for Canadian retailers. Thanks.
Ask for a discount for a repeat customer.

-46" SAMSUNG
-ENERGY RC-50'S
-ENERGY RC-LCR
-ENERGY RC-10'S
-SVS PC12 PLUS
-PIONEER ELITE SC-25
-OPPO BDP 103D
http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/1459339/default/
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page