New SVS SB1000 & PB1000 Subwoofers!! - Page 42 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1231 of 1239 Old 06-20-2014, 03:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 24
dprice18af -> I have never heard a BIC.

However, I can not see the BIC coming close to the same in performance as the SVS.

The SVS will DEF destroy the BIC below 30hz. But you stated for music... The SVS WILL be tighter with less distortion... By how much... I don't think a whole lot... The main benefit will be the additional extension, less distortion, higher reliability, and will sound a bit better (maybe a lot, but I think your subwoofer is somewhat decent)

The SB2000, will prob not go as loud as your BIC, but will DEF sound a fair bit better.... I think it may be better since you do not care for SPL nor ultra low extension. I feel for your purposes the SB2000 will walk the BIC.

Remember I have not listened to the BIC, just going by experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1239 Old 06-20-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittyfit View Post
dprice18af -> I have never heard a BIC.

However, I can not see the BIC coming close to the same in performance as the SVS.

The SVS will DEF destroy the BIC below 30hz. But you stated for music... The SVS WILL be tighter with less distortion... By how much... I don't think a whole lot... The main benefit will be the additional extension, less distortion, higher reliability, and will sound a bit better (maybe a lot, but I think your subwoofer is somewhat decent)

The SB2000, will prob not go as loud as your BIC, but will DEF sound a fair bit better.... I think it may be better since you do not care for SPL nor ultra low extension. I feel for your purposes the SB2000 will walk the BIC.

Remember I have not listened to the BIC, just going by experience.
Thank you for the suggestions and advice.
post #1233 of 1239 Old 06-20-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone using the SB1000 through the speaker level inputs. Curious to know how the sound would be seeing that you can't set the xover level below 50 Hz when used with fullrange speakers
post #1234 of 1239 Old 06-21-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 24
dprice18af -> This may help, though i'd throw it in.

I prefer the SVS PB1000 over the paradigm reference PW 2200 v1 and V3.... Also over ALL the velodyne subwoofers i have own and the Energy s12.3 or w.e it was that was highly regarded at the time. It was good but not great.
post #1235 of 1239 Old 08-26-2014, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This may be a dumb question but for now I have a sony receiver, I'm in the market for a marantz receiver so I will have something better soon ANYWAYS, what is this -3db,+3db mean and how do I adjust that? What crossover freq should I set this sub at? It'll be here friday.
post #1236 of 1239 Old 08-27-2014, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
This may be a dumb question but for now I have a sony receiver, I'm in the market for a marantz receiver so I will have something better soon ANYWAYS, what is this -3db,+3db mean and how do I adjust that? What crossover freq should I set this sub at? It'll be here friday.
I'm not sure in what sense you're referring to -3dB/+3dB, so I don't know how to answer that question. The crossover frequency should be set based on the speakers you have. Maybe that's what you mean by the -3dB thing--your other speakers, especially the front left and right, and the center channel, have a -3dB point. That would be the lower frequency where the speaker output drops by 3dB over the output within it's capable range(there is an upper frequency -3 dB point as well, but that doesn't matter so much when talking about a sub). You should probably set your crossover at least 10Hz higher than this, although advice here may differ. What you want is for your sub to pick up where your speakers start to lose output. If your speakers go really low, you may even want your sub to pick up before this point.

This question would be much easier to answer if we knew what your other speakers are, and a few other details about your setup.
post #1237 of 1239 Old 08-27-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post
I'm not sure in what sense you're referring to -3dB/+3dB, so I don't know how to answer that question. The crossover frequency should be set based on the speakers you have. Maybe that's what you mean by the -3dB thing--your other speakers, especially the front left and right, and the center channel, have a -3dB point. That would be the lower frequency where the speaker output drops by 3dB over the output within it's capable range(there is an upper frequency -3 dB point as well, but that doesn't matter so much when talking about a sub). You should probably set your crossover at least 10Hz higher than this, although advice here may differ. What you want is for your sub to pick up where your speakers start to lose output. If your speakers go really low, you may even want your sub to pick up before this point.

This question would be much easier to answer if we knew what your other speakers are, and a few other details about your setup.
Thanks for the info, this is for my living room set-up, it's a small 13x16 room with a Sony HW40ES projector, I have a 5.0 set of the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers (1 center, 2 floorstanding speakers, and two bookshelf as surrounds) then the SVS PB-1000, my receiver will be the marantz sr5008. As of now I had the floors set at 80hz, the center at 90hz, and the surrounds at 100hz, and my old subwoofer was set at 80hz(Andrew Jones sub)
post #1238 of 1239 Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
Thanks for the info, this is for my living room set-up, it's a small 13x16 room with a Sony HW40ES projector, I have a 5.0 set of the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers (1 center, 2 floorstanding speakers, and two bookshelf as surrounds) then the SVS PB-1000, my receiver will be the marantz sr5008. As of now I had the floors set at 80hz, the center at 90hz, and the surrounds at 100hz, and my old subwoofer was set at 80hz(Andrew Jones sub)
Without looking up the exact specs of those speakers, I don't see anything wrong with this setup except maybe the subwoofer crossover. If you mean the low-pass filter on the sub itself, you should just set this to its maximum or off position. On the PB-1000 this would be the LFE setting on the low-pass filter knob. The sub doesn't need to filter any frequencies, because your AVR should be doing that with the crossover frequencies you have set for the speakers.
post #1239 of 1239 Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post
Without looking up the exact specs of those speakers, I don't see anything wrong with this setup except maybe the subwoofer crossover. If you mean the low-pass filter on the sub itself, you should just set this to its maximum or off position. On the PB-1000 this would be the LFE setting on the low-pass filter knob. The sub doesn't need to filter any frequencies, because your AVR should be doing that with the crossover frequencies you have set for the speakers.
got it today, wow it's colossal. I got the sound isolation with it, set it at 80hz and 75% volume with the phaser at 0 and it's wonderful!
fredxr2d2 likes this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page