DON'T READ THIS! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got you! I need help choosing a subwoofer.

This is my first post and I am making it about my favorite thing... BASS! I have been a lurker for a while now. I am building an awesome HT system and I need all of your help. I am now in a position in life to finally blow some money on things that seem unimportant to the regular joe! So please help me out!

I am going to piece together a system in my cottage that I recently built behind my house. The building is just two rooms. A 15' x 22' theatre room with 11' celings, then a hallway leading to a bathroom. the hall leads away in a corner by the screen.

So far I have a Yamaha RX-A3010 reciever, a epson 8500ub projector with a eleite screen.
My audio setup is pathetic...it consists of two really old pioneer fronts(reeeally old), an old technics bookshelf speaker for a center. Then a cerwin vega sub ported box with two 8" drivers rated at 400 watts i think. the rear surrounds are pretty good as far as I can tell, they are acoustic research 208 ho brand new that a friend gave me about 6 months ago.

I may or may not buy a package front/surround/center system soon but I find it much funner piecing together a setup. So heres my specs:

Budget: Not over $1500, I can go more if its really exceptional. However I feel as though for $1000-2000 i should be able to really smash a room that size.
Size requirements: none really, but 36"x36"x36" is too big. No wife factor. She knows this is MY room.
Room Dimensions: 15x22x 11High, flat cieling, 6x10 shag carpet, 8ft couch, 3 leather chairs. hardwood floor over concrete slab
Primary uses: this is really a toss up, lots of blu rays, call of duty, and listening to music while reading 40% movies 35% games 25% music
Listening habits: This is a big factor. i like loud... really loud. concert loud sometimes. The other day my only neighbor who lives 300 yards away was noticing his windows rattling when shooting on call of duty. (Hes cool with it, he comes over to watch movies sometimes) I like hard, tight ,earthshaking bass!
Apperance: dont really care.
Timeframe: I am a very patient dude.

Another thing. i will put the sub wherever is sounds best, i think it would be cool to double it as a coffe table or side table, however nothing would stay on it! I hope you can give me some good advice I love GOOD sound, i have a few tube amps that I fire up sometimes. I am an audiophile third, my other passions are motocross and scuba and they take way too much time so i have to cheat and ask you guys for help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 451
In that criteria and under 1500, I would be looking at a Power Sound XV30, or Rythmik FV15HP, or two Hsu VTF3 mk4s, or two Power Sound XS15s. Over 1500 but under 2k, I would be looking at dual Hsu VTF15h, dual Power Sound XV15s, or a single SVS PB13/PC13 Ultra.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-20-2012, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
In the singles category, my bang for the buck choice would be the FV15HP; it's a heck of a lot of performance for under $1500, and frankly there's nothing outside of DIY proven to significantly outperform it under $2000.
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=51&mset=50
http://www.data-bass.com/systems

In the doubles category, the dual Hsu VTF 3.4s, VTF 15Hs and PSA XV15s shadyJ mentions would be a fantastic. I'd also add the Outlaw LFM-1EX and Epik Empire to the list there.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks for your advice, almost all those you both mentioned are ported enclosures. What is the reason for that? So far I think im leaning towards an svs pb13 or maybe a seaton sound submersive.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinflap View Post

thanks for your advice, almost all those you both mentioned are ported enclosures. What is the reason for that?

It's a matter of tradeoffs. A ported enclosure will typically have a big advantage around its tuning point relative to a comparable sealed subwoofer, but roll off very quickly beyond that. A simple example: a $5000 sealed Velodyne versus the PB13U in 20Hz mode:

Velo
http://www.data-bass.com/images/measurements/68/L%20DD18%2B%20SERVO%20GAIN%208%20CEA2010%20CHART.PNG

SVS
http://www.data-bass.com/images/measurements/53/L%20SVS%20PB13%2020HZ%20CEA2010%20PASS%20CHART.PNG

You'll notice at 20Hz, the SVS has a 7dB advantage in clean output capability; to put that into perspective, if you had a pair of Velo DD18+ stacked, the PB13U could still eek out a bit more output at 20Hz. OTOH, at 10Hz (infrasonics) you'll find the Velo still has useful clean output capability whereas the SVS does not. With a $2000 budget, I'm not sure how achievable bonafide 10Hz and below output is going to be, regardless of sealed vs ported, but the Rythmik and the PB13 can get you solidly into the teens with their various tuning modes. On the sealed side, the SubM is a good bet to get down deep, and a pair of Epik Empires can give a good accounting of themselves as well.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Would the OP have a good choice in a Danley DTS-10 kit? c.$1k for the kit excluding amp, giving ridiculous sound output from what I can read on here? smile.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemX View Post

Would the OP have a good choice in a Danley DTS-10 kit? c.$1k for the kit excluding amp, giving ridiculous sound output from what I can read on here? smile.gif

Given his stated size requirements, not so much.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page