Black Friday / Holiday Budget subwoofer - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 57 Old 11-24-2012, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have plenty of older appliances that are still chugging along, they were definitely made to last. I've also had plenty of newer, keyword, appliances and PC parts fail on me personally, on the electronics level. Whether that's a newer result of cheap consumers demanding cheap products, with the inevitable result being more failures, or the greedy manufacture feeding consumers cheaper and cheaper products that they can't resist of course, the end result is still the same. More money to the maker for the shoddy product built and endlessly replaced. More money being the bottom line few businessmen can look passed, imo, few of whom wouldn't look at this new system of buy-soon to fail-replace as anything but good for their business.

It isn't all encompassing at this point, far from it. But I think it will only become more common in the future. A 10 year old receiver or microwave still plugs along today, gratefully, but who's to say where today's will be 10 years from now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 11-24-2012, 02:12 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermeslyre View Post

Whether that's a newer result of cheap consumers demanding cheap products, with the inevitable result being more failures, or the greedy manufacture feeding consumers cheaper and cheaper products that they can't resist of course, the end result is still the same.

Nothing is stopping anybody from buying the good stuff.....other than a lack of fat in their wallet.

-
post #33 of 57 Old 11-24-2012, 02:14 PM

I have a severe lack of fat in my wallet, as do plenty of americans I assume. So, for me, it's either buy into the system or be left out.

I'm a fool so I call. cool.gif
post #34 of 57 Old 11-24-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermeslyre View Post

I have a severe lack of fat in my wallet, as do plenty of americans I assume. So, for me, it's either buy into the system or be left out.
I'm a fool so I call. cool.gif

Nobody's a fool. The good stuff costs and it's always been that way. Some things we can afford, other things we can't and until I win the lottery, most things are going be a compromise.

I gave up cigars and I'm getting rid of a truck I don't use (insurance and registration) which frees up about $140.00 a month to spend on toys; compromise.
post #35 of 57 Old 11-24-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
herm some customers joke about Samsung products calling them shamsung because many people have had problems with the brand.
post #36 of 57 Old 11-24-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

All the time I see negative reviews about lg alliances failing on people.
post #37 of 57 Old 11-24-2012, 02:26 PM

With the measure of "just good enough" becoming more and more common to us peons, my poor grandma could afford "last for 30 years Good" in her time, the future looks a lovely shade of grim for us youngsters! IMO.

But I'll shut up the pessimistic talk now.
post #38 of 57 Old 11-24-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

herm some customers joke about Samsung products calling them shamsung because many people have had problems with the brand.

It's not just electronics either, my old Ford (Found On Road Dead) is a good example too! biggrin.gif
post #39 of 57 Old 11-24-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:

In LCD TV's, computer monitors and Blu-ray players, I'm a huge Samsung fanboy as I haven't had troubles with anything by Samsung. Yes, things, after four years of constant daily use have worn out but that's to be expected.

As to Ford, big Ford fanboy here. The 99, F-250 has 165k miles on it with only normal maintenance of brakes, tires, oil, belt, plug boots, hoses, battery, a few smog parts and a internal tank fuel pump needing to be serviced. Engine and transmission have been fine.

-
post #40 of 57 Old 11-24-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

the pictures look good on samsung tvs and the speakers sound good on them, but people that I know who have had them had problems in two to three years.
post #41 of 57 Old 11-24-2012, 04:00 PM

Location: Left of the right coast and right of the left coast.
Liked: 14
Quote:

Do you work in the electronics dept. of a store or something? Or did you just happen to come across a posse of disgruntled Samsung owners, who all have similiar issues, mulling it over by the watercooler? All products have a certain failure rate. In my experience Samsung has been some of the most trouble free products I have owned.
post #42 of 57 Old 11-24-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Hmm Are we still talking about Black Friday/ Budget subwoofers? Ahh yes the Klipsch RW-12D is a good buy at 300 lol. Mine has 165,000 miles on it and hasnt needed a new amp just a few new wires etc...rolleyes.gif

Denon AVR 3312
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #43 of 57 Old 11-24-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

do you like klipsch sub better then mordaunt short subs cchunter? I see that you have a klipsch pic on your profile. did you get the klipsch speakers with 8 inch woofers for black friday at best buy? I agree with you that klipsch subs sound good.
post #44 of 57 Old 11-24-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

since bic subs get talked about a lot on here do you all think they sound pretty good or not really? I hear a lot of talk about bic f12
post #45 of 57 Old 11-24-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

beeman the only samsung item that I have is a dvd player. I only use it for a cd player since I have a playstation 3. Someone threw it away in a box outside of the garbage can. I know that people throw away working electronics sometimes, but most of the time they are defective. It had the cables already hooked up in the back of it and a remote so I took a chance and brought it home. I am not sure if the dvd part works good on it, but for cds it sounds fine.
post #46 of 57 Old 11-25-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:

beeman the only samsung item that I have is a dvd player. I only use it for a cd player since I have a playstation 3. Someone threw it away in a box outside of the garbage can. I know that people throw away working electronics sometimes, but most of the time they are defective. It had the cables already hooked up in the back of it and a remote so I took a chance and brought it home. I am not sure if the dvd part works good on it, but for cds it sounds fine.

If it fails, see if you can get customer service to warranty it. tongue.gif

"Yes, I found it in the back and yes all the wires were hooked up......and there's no rational reason it shouldn't be working perfectly fine."
post #47 of 57 Old 11-25-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 27
FYI, the Klipsh RW-12D on Newegg is now $500 (and still out of stock).
post #48 of 57 Old 11-25-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:

do you like klipsch sub better then mordaunt short subs cchunter? I see that you have a klipsch pic on your profile. did you get the klipsch speakers with 8 inch woofers for black friday at best buy? I agree with you that klipsch subs sound good.
Yes I do like the Klipsch RW-12D. Great sub for 300.00. I would take it over a BIC sub anyday. If money wasnt an option I would buy a SVS Ultra/13. That is my dream sub. Hopefully someday I will have one or maybe 2. smile.gif I have the Reference Series Klipsch speakers, much better sounding in my opinion than the Synergy or Icon series.

Denon AVR 3312
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #49 of 57 Old 11-25-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

In your lifetime, how many of your appliances have failed? That will be your rate of return on investment.
I have had lots of stuff fail on me. As a matter of fact, I have had lots of stuff fail on me and I don't buy junk. Most stuff today is mass produced junk, brand name or not. The OP is smart by passing on the item without a warranty. I always buy the extra warranty on anything I can.
post #50 of 57 Old 11-25-2012, 06:36 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

since bic subs get talked about a lot on here do you all think they sound pretty good or not really? I hear a lot of talk about bic f12
Yeah I really want to know what people think about the bic subs because I'm on a tight budget and want to know what people think of the bic subs.

-Ben
post #51 of 57 Old 11-25-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim33 View Post

Yeah I really want to know what people think about the bic subs because I'm on a tight budget and want to know what people think of the bic subs.

I'm no expert but I did own two of them for a month. I would say the Bic F12 is a good basic sub. They weren't giving me the bottom end I wanted so I returned them.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #52 of 57 Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 PM

Liked: 10
The BIC PL200, for what it is, is a well regarded subwoofer. Its performance is not anything spectacular, but considering it can be had any day of the week for $279 delivered I say it is a good value. The Klipsch unit in question - at $300 on sale is probably a better value.

I just recently purchased a set of BIC PL-89's and a matching PL-28 center. They are very good speakers for the price. Can I buy better? Of course. Do I think I will get twice the performance for twice the price - no.

The LFM-1 EX however, for its current sale price of $599 delivered offers a surprising amount of output and is what would get my money if I were on a strict budget.

I am personally trying to decide between the LFM-1 EX and the XV-15. The Outlaw performance on paper is not far off of the XV-15, and is currently $200 cheaper delivered.

You can find a review and measurements of the PL200 here.
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=47
post #53 of 57 Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

I managed to get the Klipsch from Newegg on yesterday. How exactly does one set it up when it comes? I noticed it comes with speaker input and subwoofer input so I bought a subwoofer cable from Amazon on a lightning deal. I am planning on using that, but I can certainly use speaker cables if that would be better. How does one set the hz at which the subwoofer starts working (not sure what the correct name for this is). How do I determine the correct setting for my speakers? I am currently using the speakers from the Logitech Z-680s but I am contemplating upgrading to the Pioneer Andrew Jones designed FS52 (x2) + C22. I know this is the wrong forum to ask this, but anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?
post #54 of 57 Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsianMan View Post

I managed to get the Klipsch from Newegg on yesterday. How exactly does one set it up when it comes? I noticed it comes with speaker input and subwoofer input so I bought a subwoofer cable from Amazon on a lightning deal. I am planning on using that, but I can certainly use speaker cables if that would be better. How does one set the hz at which the subwoofer starts working (not sure what the correct name for this is). How do I determine the correct setting for my speakers? I am currently using the speakers from the Logitech Z-680s but I am contemplating upgrading to the Pioneer Andrew Jones designed FS52 (x2) + C22. I know this is the wrong forum to ask this, but anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

set all speakers to small

80HZ crossover (thats the term you were looking for)

any RCA cable will do. fgo from AVR sub out to either R or L input on the sub

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

post #55 of 57 Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Connect the subwoofer output on your AVR to the L or R inputs on the RW-12d, as indicated above and on page 3 of the owner's manual:
Quote:
RW-10d / RW-12d / RSW-10d
“LINE IN” - This input is designed as the standard or default input for the subwoofer. It accepts signals from the Left and Right channel pre-amp, subwoofer or LFE outputs of your electronics via the RCA jack inputs. Connect to the “RIGHT” and/or “LEFT/LFE” inputs on the subwoofer’s rear panel (Refer to figures 3 and 5).

In your AVR's speaker set-up menu, set all speakers to "small". Then, because the speakers are actually quite small - which means they probably don't offer low(er)-frequency extension much below 120Hz or 100Hz - set the crossover in the set-up menu to 120-140Hz to start.

Give it a listen, and raise/lower the crossover setting to suit your ears.
post #56 of 57 Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

set all speakers to small
80HZ crossover (thats the term you were looking for)
any RCA cable will do. fgo from AVR sub out to either R or L input on the sub

Thanks Brian! I have some more questions if anyone can answer (or alternatively point to a good guide).

Is the crossover set on the subwoofer or receiver and does the level depend on the subwoofer or speakers (or both)? Is there an advantage to using a splitter and outputting to left/right simultaneously vs. just left or right (only one sub). How would this change if I had 2 subs? Speaking of two subs, is it generally considered better two get the same sub or is it better to have different subs?
post #57 of 57 Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Use the AVR for bass management (including crossover) and defeat the crossover (or low-pass filter (LPF)) on the sub itself. From the owner's manual:
Quote:
“Lowpass” - This screen is used to adjust the subwoofer’s upper frequency limit to achieve a proper blend with your system’s main speakers. ... This filter can be adjusted from 40Hz to 120Hz, as required, or defeated if the low pass filter function is being performed by your system’s electronics. Use the Left/Right cursor keys to adjust the lowpass filter. To defeat this filter press and hold the Right cursor key until “Lowpass OFF LFE Mode” is displayed.
Quote:
Is there an advantage to using a splitter and outputting to left/right simultaneously vs. just left or right (only one sub).
Aside from perhaps providing a higher trigger voltage for the auto on/off function, no.
Quote:
How would this change if I had 2 subs?
You'd split the connection from the AVR's subwoofer output and run one line to a single input on each sub.
Quote:
Speaking of two subs, is it generally considered better two get the same sub or is it better to have different subs?
Two of the same.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page