Cambridge Soundworkds P1000 not working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-25-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I could really use some help. I bought one of these subwoofers years ago and used it regularly for many years. I put it away for a year and recently brought it back out in a new location.

Running through the setup on my receiver, I can't get the sub to make any sound. This sub has a seperate control module and the indicator light on the controller is showing that it's receiving a signal from the receiver. My concern is that the problem lies with the cable between the controller and the sub. It uses a cable that looks like a telephone cable. The stock cable was not long enough for this installation so I used a telephone connector to mate it to a 4 pin telephone chord. In another installation where I used this sub, I seem to remember there being something different about the "telephone cable" used to connect the two pieces of the sub which caused me some problems in that installation. I tried using a different 4 pin telephone cable to connect the two pieces but still no luck.

The sub is definitely getting power. I checked all the connections to make sure they're tight. The controller is also getting power and definitely getting a signal. All the cables are also connected to the appropriate jacks. The volume nob on the controller is about halfway up. Any other ideas for trouble shooting this? I would hate to be forced to buy a new sub. I always liked this one. Everything is getting power and everything is connected properly so I can't imagine why I can't get any sound at all. The only thing I can think of is this "telephone" cable. I'll probably call Cambridge Soundworks on Monday, but this model is discontinued and the company has changed hands a few times the last few years so I'm not sure how far I'll get with that. Plus, my sub is a couple of years out of warranty despite coming with a 10 year warranty. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-27-2012, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You can connect a dvd/cd or mp3 player directly to the sub's inputs. Turn down the volume. If it plays, then your amp is ok and you may need to replace the (rca or telephone-type connector) cable from the AVR to the sub. You can check the driver (unlikely to have gone bad) by connecting a 9 volt battery to the plus and minus terminals to determine if it moves. Some sub amps fail after they have not been used for awhile. Electrolytic capacitors in the amp fail with both age and heat.

You can consider purchasing a new plate amp from Parts Express or OAudio but may need to do some cutting/pasting to get it to fit.

In the under $300 range, individuals in this forum like the BIC PL-200; under $400, the Hsu STF-2. There are a few other models that individuals recommend.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page