Klipsch RW-12D x 2 vs. Rythmik FV15HP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys, long time reader first time poster here so please take it easy on me.

I currently have a set of Klipsch RF83 fronts, Klipsch RC-64 center channel, and matching surrounds. I'm running them off of a Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH receiver. It has served me well, but I would like to add a subwoofer to the system.

My room is dedicated with dimensions of 23x16x10. Eventually I would like to upgrade my Pioneer receiver to something along the lines of a Marantz 7701 and discrete amplifiers, as well as upgrade my projector and screen to something high-end. but one step at a time. Given that I am using a throw away Yamaha subwoofer (that I am embarrassed to even post the part number) the biggest bang for the buck for me right now is going to be subs.

Given the direction I am trying to go do you guys think it would be worth it to try and pick up two of the $300 RW-12D Klipsch subwoofers, or should I just suck it up and buy the Rhythmik FV15HP? Realistically I can make the Rhythmik happen, but I think I need a little encouragement to spend the extra money. $600 for two RW-12Ds sounds much more attractive to me, but I am not sure realistically what the output difference is going to be.

Thanks guys,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Since you can afford the FV15HP, go for it. Dual RW-12ds may provide (significantly? moderately? negligibly?) smoother FR at your primary listening position, but the FV15HP will provide better overall performance than the RW-12ds, including significantly more extension.

But if the thought of duals really tempts you, I believe duals of either of these should outperform the RW-12ds while still coming in at a few hundred less than the FV15HP:
- SVS PB-1000 ($499, shipped; current sale includes free return shipping)
- Epik Legend (currently on sale for $399/ea., shipped - add to cart to see the sale price)
post #3 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My vote for the FV15HP too, I purchased one about 3 weeks ago.....STRONG and ACCURATE output.

I also have Klipsch mains and you have the wonderful RF83s.......forget about upgrading to another receiver-amp combination. Your Klipsches are very efficient and spending that loot on a separate multi channel amp is a waste of money imo, for the negligible gain. I have the RF42s, the smallest RFs with my FV15HP and I love em.
Plus, the low bass frequencies being reproduced by the Rythmik sub frees up power on your AV receiver - RFs. Bass requires the greatest power demands in the usable sound frequency reproduction.
I run my rythmik in conjuction with my 42s set to large....its the way I prefer the sound reproduction. But most set mains to small and use AVR for low pass to sub, high pass to mains.
I also owned a F15 before it drowned' I am a staunch fan of Brian's engineering efforts.

PS.....read some of the user reviews of the Marantz 7701, not all are happy with its performance, quirks. Since I lost most of my AV equipment 3 months ago, my AVR is a $230 Sony receiver and it does very well for the moddest price. First time I ever bought my receiver at walmart :-)
I have a Denon AVR in a closet I paid $1200 many years back.....super stereo performance still, strong quality amps. Big fan of Denon and Yamaha products too.
And your Pioneer Elite specs are pretty strong too. I'd keep it and be happy.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the advice guys. I will take a look at the Epik empires as well. I am not sure how two of them would compare in output to the other options. I need to do some more reading I guess. Dual empires are on sale right now for $1499, which is pretty comparable in price to a single FV15HP. Good lord, too many options. I think deep in my heart I want the FV15HP, but the practical side of me says if I can get the same experience out of two cheaper subs than that is a good investment. On the other hand, I could always add a second FV15HP next year and shake the neighbor's house as well. biggrin.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Consider this too......we read a lot of amp failures here on AVS with the Epics. I have read of one amp failure in 2 years with Rythmiks. Now I will grant you Chad may sell more Epics, but clearly they have amp issues. I don't know how many posts I've read about hot amps as normal, especially the Legends. Or users complaining about email response times from Chad. Most times cheaper or two for one isn't the best buy in the end. Rarely do I regret long term spending my money on a higher quality product, be it subs or furniture or bed sheets.

Or purchase a Submersive HP and call it a year or two. But the Sub HP is like $2400 delivered. Or a gorgeous Funk Audio 18.0 or the top of the line 18.3.
Or maybe a JTR S2.....
post #6 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
I think deep in my heart I want the FV15HP, but the practical side of me says if I can get the same experience out of two cheaper subs than that is a good investment. On the other hand, I could always add a second FV15HP next year and shake the neighbor's house as well. biggrin.gif
If you can afford to buy one FV15HP now and another next year, never mind cheaper subs. Get an FV15HP now. If it's all you need, then you got the sub you really wanted to get. If it turns out you need (or want) a second one, you'll have two awesome subs that you really wanted. And, perhaps most importantly, you'll have no regrets. smile.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Buying cheap always costs me more in the long run. I suppose my dual F12's says what I chose... smile.gif

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Fv15hp Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page