Small sub for bedroom - $150ish - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I picked up a pair of Kef IQ10's on their Black Friday special for the bedroom.

Need a small sub to back them up. Small, tight, more musical. Room is 14x14.

I have a Dayton 10" sub that I bought a few years back but like to get something that is of better quality to match the Kef's.

Can go up to 200...even used would be great. I just want to fill in the bottom end, not shake the walls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Define small, tight, musical. Small is kinda easy, but measurements help. Tight is a strange word as is musical as they're completely subjective and vaguely defined. How does a sub match a Kef brand speaker? Personally I'd say keep the Dayton and save some money for a better sub, i.e. one capable of significant output (so you have sufficient headroom for now and the future) and/or extension (i.e. how low a frequency it can capably reproduce within a small range of the rest of the frequencies it can reproduce). But that's just me.

post #3 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 418
You could take a look at the martin Logan dynamo 300, or try to find a used Outlaw M8

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #4 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 1280
Martin Logan Dynamo 300 sounds like a great option - $150 shipped from Amazon right now.

I checked eBay and there's an S8.3 that fits in your budget: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-S8-3-Subwoofer-excellent-condition-/160931555524

The S8.3 is the "baby brother" of the popular S10.3 subwoofer that's often recommended as a great budget buy. It's pretty compact in dimensions (taller than it is deep or wide) so it takes up little floor space, and the SX.3 subs are all very tight and musical with little distortion.

There's also a Mirage Omni S8 (the Mirage twin of the S8.3 from Energy) on Amazon Warehouse for $166 shipped. Says it has some cosmetic issues but functionally perfect.

I think any of these three should fit the bill.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the recommendations.

I tried the Dayton, horrible...it was still playing the last note when the next one started.

So by tight I mean fast, no reverb, no rumble. A non-ported sub I think would fit my needs better.

I'll look into the Martin Logan and the Energy. It looks like the Energy is sealed, is the ML?
post #6 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

The .3 on the Energy is reflecting that it has one driver and two passive radiators from what I knew before being corrected by eljaycanuck! You just want a good sub, the descriptors are marketing terms; accurate is a better term than tight or fast. Why would a sub have reverb? Trouble is the better subs start mostly around $300 on sale, $500 and more otherwise IMHO. Just depends how much the budget means vs the performance you're willing to settle for but personally I don't think you're going to get a lot for $150. You might also look through this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364182/list-of-budget-subwoofers-300-and-less

post #7 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
The .3 on the Energy is reflecting that it has one driver and two passive radiators ...
Just an FYI: I've had hands-on experience with several S10.3s and an S8.3, and they are unmistakably single-driver, ported subs. They do not have passive radiators. (Given that there was an S10.2 before the S10.3, I suspect the .3 just a "series number" indicator.)

And, fwiw, they're both pretty impressive performers for their relative sizes. The S10.3 is a wicked little sub, and for $200 - IMveryHO - it can't be beat.

post #8 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Quote:
The .3 on the Energy is reflecting that it has one driver and two passive radiators ...
Just an FYI: I've had hands-on experience with several S10.3s and an S8.3, and they are unmistakably single-driver, ported subs. They do not have passive radiators. (Given that there was an S10.2 before the S10.3, I suspect the .3 just a "series number" indicator.)

And, fwiw, they're both pretty impressive performers for their relative sizes. The S10.3 is a wicked little sub, and for $200 - IMveryHO - it can't be beat.

Thanks, was taking from someone else's supposed hands-on description. I know some others do use that sort of indicator in the model number, too...I've always heard nice things about them, tho.

post #9 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 507
A couple of months ago, I had the opportunity - after several years of not hearing an S10.3 - to demo my buddy's S10.3 in my HT space. I did a quick-'n-dirty (three-point) calibration of the S10.3 and ran some clips, then did a similar calibration of my SS-18.1s and ran the same clips and, man, was that little 10" sub ever impressive!

Sure, it couldn't do what my dual 18" subs can do, but I was most impressed by the fact that it played reasonably loud, dug reasonably deep, hit reasonably hard in the mid-bass region and didn't make a bad sound that I could hear. Basically, it re-affirmed what I remembered about the S10.3: It's a wicked little sub! smile.gif

post #10 of 11 Old 12-01-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ended up with the Mirage S8.

I had a BB $225 gift card. They had the Mirage for $369, goes for around $329 online.

They had a problem with one of our deliveries on a washer and dryer we were taking care of with the manager, he saw we were buying the sub and knocked it down to $299.

So $75 out of pocket plus the tax on $300.

Really like the sub but it does seem a bit too big for the room. I had to keep turning it down. I have to place it and set it all up correctly but considering between the KEF IQ10's and the Mirage it was $325 out of pocket thats pretty hard to beat.

Now my next step is to replace the crappy Sony receiver in here.

Thanks for the suggestions. That sub does seem to hit the sweet spot in value.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-01-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
That little S8 is a great little sub, quite the overachiever. It was hard to part with it when I went with the bigger brother S10.3's, so I gave it to my farther in law so I can visit it. You should be very happy with it for a long time. smile.gif

toddRiffic

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page