Klipsch RW-12d on sale for $299 at Newegg.com again today! - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 2776 Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Angler55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mouth of the AuSable River, Michigan
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Newegg has the Klipsch RW-12d on sale again for $299.99 with free shipping!

Al
Angler55 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 2776 Old 02-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Senior Member
 
highdefav1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looks like they go a whole new shipment of refurbs....biggrin.gif
highdefav1 is offline  
post #543 of 2776 Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
GrooveRite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I helped my brother open up his new RW-12D today that I had him buy thanks to you guys and I'm happy to report that it was in BRAND NEW/MINT condition! No loose port and the right cable was there. Only strange thing was that there were 2 instruction packages. He got a winner and I was happy! smile.gif The sub sounds GREAT!!! So much better than my MLT-2 sub thats for sure, lol! Thanks again guys!

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
GrooveRite is offline  
post #544 of 2776 Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
GrooveRite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to ask this question here but I think some people here would be the best to answer my question.......

........how much better would a PSA XV-15 be over the RW-12D? Would the difference be significant or not by much?

I only ask this because hearing my brothers RW-12D yesterday really impressed the HECK out of me! So I'm wondering how much better the PSA would sound over the RW-12D to justify the purchase. I'm no audiophile but I can tell when I'm hearing quality sound.

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
GrooveRite is offline  
post #545 of 2776 Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Angler55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mouth of the AuSable River, Michigan
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post

Sorry to ask this question here but I think some people here would be the best to answer my question.......

........how much better would a PSA XV-15 be over the RW-12D? Would the difference be significant or not by much?

I only ask this because hearing my brothers RW-12D yesterday really impressed the HECK out of me! So I'm wondering how much better the PSA would sound over the RW-12D to justify the purchase. I'm no audiophile but I can tell when I'm hearing quality sound.

That's not a fair comparison. The build quality alone would go to the PSA. That thing weighs 92 pounds. It's built much better and is well over twice the cost of the Klipsch.

Al
Angler55 is offline  
post #546 of 2776 Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Member
 
Kurth01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Opened up my Klipsch RW-12D from Newegg last night, and the top two grommets that hold the grill on to the sub are broken-off inside the speaker face. The sub seems to work fine, but I'd like a grill that attaches. I'd contact Klipsch directly and ask them to just send me a new grill, but with the grommets broken off inside the attachment holes in the speaker, that won't do me much good.

I went to get an RMA from Newegg, and the automated system wants me to pack up the speakers and pay to ship the back. That seems unfair to me given that they shipped me a defective/broken product. I'm going to call Newegg on Monday. Ay thoughts on what kind of customer service I can expect from them?

To be honest, if they give me a decent discount on the sub off the $299 I paid for it, I probably won't even bother with a return. Packing up and shipping that sub back to them will be a royal pain in the ass, even if they do pay the shipping.
Kurth01 is offline  
post #547 of 2776 Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,224
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 853
That's not unheard of but rare. I don't remember all the details of what happened to the other people.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #548 of 2776 Old 02-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Senior Member
 
sojodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I know, I know, this is a dumb question, but here it goes. I have a Klipsch sub10 and I just ordered the Rw12. Is it ridiculous to run two subs that have different size drivers?
sojodave is offline  
post #549 of 2776 Old 02-03-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,224
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojodave View Post

I know, I know, this is a dumb question, but here it goes. I have a Klipsch sub10 and I just ordered the Rw12. Is it ridiculous to run two subs that have different size drivers?
That's not dumb at all. There is certainly nothing ridiculous about it. You may have a little difficulty getting them dialed in but I don't see any reason why you couldn't use them together. I am using a Bic F12 and an RW12 and was told by several people that they wouldn't work together but after some trial and error it sure sounds good to me.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #550 of 2776 Old 02-03-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojodave View Post

I know, I know, this is a dumb question, but here it goes. I have a Klipsch sub10 and I just ordered the Rw12. Is it ridiculous to run two subs that have different size drivers?

I run dissimilar subs with good results. One way to find out is to try and see how you like it. Like a single sub, room position can play a great role as does the room itself.

lovinthehd is offline  
post #551 of 2776 Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Senior Member
 
highdefav1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurth01 View Post

Opened up my Klipsch RW-12D from Newegg last night, and the top two grommets that hold the grill on to the sub are broken-off inside the speaker face. The sub seems to work fine, but I'd like a grill that attaches. I'd contact Klipsch directly and ask them to just send me a new grill, but with the grommets broken off inside the attachment holes in the speaker, that won't do me much good.

I went to get an RMA from Newegg, and the automated system wants me to pack up the speakers and pay to ship the back. That seems unfair to me given that they shipped me a defective/broken product. I'm going to call Newegg on Monday. Ay thoughts on what kind of customer service I can expect from them?

To be honest, if they give me a decent discount on the sub off the $299 I paid for it, I probably won't even bother with a return. Packing up and shipping that sub back to them will be a royal pain in the ass, even if they do pay the shipping.

I would just contact Klipsch and advise them the grill pegs were broken. I've read others had that problem and they received a new grill from Klipsch. The pegs shouldn't be too difficult to remove from the attachment holes. Try taking a small screw and insert it into the broken peg and when it catches, pull.
highdefav1 is offline  
post #552 of 2776 Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 AM
Member
 
Kurth01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefav1 View Post

I would just contact Klipsch and advise them the grill pegs were broken. I've read others had that problem and they received a new grill from Klipsch. The pegs shouldn't be too difficult to remove from the attachment holes. Try taking a small screw and insert it into the broken peg and when it catches, pull.

I had that thought and tried briefly to dig out the old, broken-off pegs, but they're really difficult to get out. Tried a small screwdriver, tweezers and a needle-nosed pliers, but I can't get a hold of them. If I really dug in around the sides, I might be able to pop them out, but it would certainly mar the face of the speaker. And if that doesn't work, I'm afraid Newegg/Klipsch will give me a hard time about a return if the speaker face has been messed up. A catch-22.

I'm going to call Newegg today, and I'll see what They advise.

Btw, what's with the buzz I'm hearing about how these subs are refurbished? Certainly not being sold by Newegg as such. And although mine arrived damaged, it appeared to be new. I'd be pissed if I found out there had been some deceptive marketing going on here . . .
Kurth01 is offline  
post #553 of 2776 Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 AM
Newbie
 
jthirdeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
People who have not bought the sub assuming.... nothing more. I own 2 and bought them 2 months from each other and both of mine were NEW!!! I've owned refurbs before and these are NOT refurbs!!!
jthirdeye is offline  
post #554 of 2776 Old 02-04-2013, 05:30 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurth01 View Post

I had that thought and tried briefly to dig out the old, broken-off pegs, but they're really difficult to get out. Tried a small screwdriver, tweezers and a needle-nosed pliers, but I can't get a hold of them.

Do you have a cordless/corded drill available? If so, drill a small pilot hole in the broken stub and screw a small screw into the newly created pilot hole. The insert can be wedged with a small toothpick size item so the plug won't spin as you drill the hole. The plug will come right out when you pull on the screw that was inserted into the broken plug.

I'm sure you can cobble together new inserts to replace the broken ones such as a proper size screw head to match the existing guide hole the cover nubs insert into.

Why would you want to do this? If you have to return the item, it's much cheaper and easier to affect your own "moused" repair then to repackage and send the whole unit back. My comments are not about consumer rights, or the right and wrong of it all. My comments are intended to hopefully suggest a way you can save time and money and get moving forward again.

The ideal would be for Newegg or Klipsch to send you a new cover. A suggestion, give Klipsch a call, "politely" tell their customer service your story and see if they'll send you a new cover grill.

Hope the above helps with giving you ideas on how to easily solve this breakage problem.
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #555 of 2776 Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
toofast68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorthEast Ohio, USA
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthirdeye View Post

People who have not bought the sub assuming.... nothing more. I own 2 and bought them 2 months from each other and both of mine were NEW!!! I've owned refurbs before and these are NOT refurbs!!!

 

No disrespect, but not sure your message is accurate...

 

Quite a few people, INCLUDING ME bought one and there are just a few odd things going on...like for example all the "hot glue" strings holding the port together inside the sub, certainly does not look factory.

 

So maybe they are not refurbs that got used at someone's house...but maybe they were factory seconds that someone reworked and fixed...that would explain all the missing/wrong cords and a few other things.

 

Once again...these are a great value and mine works fine..just I am not 100% sure this is 100% original factory work.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

toofast68 is offline  
post #556 of 2776 Old 02-04-2013, 06:16 AM
Senior Member
 
RiverSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurth01 View Post

Btw, what's with the buzz I'm hearing about how these subs are refurbished? Certainly not being sold by Newegg as such. And although mine arrived damaged, it appeared to be new. I'd be pissed if I found out there had been some deceptive marketing going on here . . .

I think it's a combination of several things. First, this sub has long been discontinued and exclusively available through newegg.com. This raises speculations of B-stock/refurbished etc. Second, Newegg hasn't explained how they still manage to keep finding these units. Third, retail on these is much higher than the $300 it sells for in almost weekly sales. That's an almost too good to be true price for a new 12" sub that hits 25Hz. Those who're afraid of biting or missed the deal and bought something else for $300ish can't accept that it could be new.

Frankly, I'd buy it at this price even if it were through an anonymous seller with good reputation on e-bay and not a retailer such as newegg. As long as the sub is brand new (which it is) and comes with original Klipsch warranty paperwork (which it does) I don't mind whatever you call it. It's still the most rational choice for budget-minded consumers. NOTHING appears to beat it for $300.

Insert pithy comment here
RiverSide is offline  
post #557 of 2776 Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Angler55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mouth of the AuSable River, Michigan
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post

I think it's a combination of several things. First, this sub has long been discontinued and exclusively available through newegg.com. This raises speculations of B-stock/refurbished etc. Second, Newegg hasn't explained how they still manage to keep finding these units. Third, retail on these is much higher than the $300 it sells for in almost weekly sales. That's an almost too good to be true price for a new 12" sub that hits 25Hz. Those who're afraid of biting or missed the deal and bought something else for $300ish can't accept that it could be new.

Frankly, I'd buy it at this price even if it were through an anonymous seller with good reputation on e-bay and not a retailer such as newegg. As long as the sub is brand new (which it is) and comes with original Klipsch warranty paperwork (which it does) I don't mind whatever you call it. It's still the most rational choice for budget-minded consumers. NOTHING appears to beat it for $300.

Well, these subs, the Klipsch RW-12d, are not Newegg exclusive. They can be purchased at many different places as you can see on Amazon. Whether they are refurbs or not, I have no idea.

Al
Angler55 is offline  
post #558 of 2776 Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
 
RiverSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler55 View Post

Well, these subs, the Klipsch RW-12d, are not Newegg exclusive. They can be purchased at many different places as you can see on Amazon. Whether they are refurbs or not, I have no idea.
Al

Should have been more specific.. I was referring to the $300 subs being sold by newegg.com. That price raises alarms and concerns of refurb or B-stock etc. when everyone else seems to be asking at least $350 shipped if not much more..

Insert pithy comment here
RiverSide is offline  
post #559 of 2776 Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post

Should have been more specific.. I was referring to the $300 subs being sold by newegg.com. That price raises alarms and concerns of refurb or B-stock etc. when everyone else seems to be asking at least $350 shipped if not much more..

Just saying, how much is it worth to Newegg to do this by actively keeping their name before multiple forums full of nerds in this fashion? confused.gif.....tongue.gif
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #560 of 2776 Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Member
 
Kurth01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Do you have a cordless/corded drill available? If so, drill a small pilot hole in the broken stub and screw a small screw into the newly created pilot hole. The insert can be wedged with a small toothpick size item so the plug won't spin as you drill the hole. The plug will come right out when you pull on the screw that was inserted into the broken plug.

I'm sure you can cobble together new inserts to replace the broken ones such as a proper size screw head to match the existing guide hole the cover nubs insert into.

Why would you want to do this? If you have to return the item, it's much cheaper and easier to affect your own "moused" repair then to repackage and send the whole unit back. My comments are not about consumer rights, or the right and wrong of it all. My comments are intended to hopefully suggest a way you can save time and money and get moving forward again.

The ideal would be for Newegg or Klipsch to send you a new cover. A suggestion, give Klipsch a call, "politely" tell their customer service your story and see if they'll send you a new cover grill.

Hope the above helps with giving you ideas on how to easily solve this breakage problem.

Thanks for the helpful tip. I think that would definitely work.

After I looked into what it would cost me to ship the sub back to Newegg ($75 using their UPS labels), I also gave Newegg a call. Before I could even raise an objection to having to pay shipping to return the damaged sub, the CSR said she was going to email me pre-paid labels and would expedite the return process on their end. I told her I appreciated that, but, to be honest, I would also be happy to just get a discount off the sub since packing up and returning that monster would be such a pain. She said she could give me 10% off the sub as a store credit. I told her I was hoping for something a little more substantial, and asked her for 20%. We settled on 15% off the sale price (i.e. $45) in store credit. I figured, if I had the option to purchase one of these subs for $255 with a defective grill that I could likely fix, I'd probably jump at it. Given that I'm planning on purchasing a set of the DefTech SM 350s they have on sale for $179, I figured that $45 in store credit would come in handy. Seemed like a win/win.

It got better for me, too, after I called Klipsh and told them my situation. They said they'd send me a new grill out right away. So, now all I have to do is dig out the sheared-off pins in the sub. Looking at it again, and considering the tips people here have provided, I think that should be a piece of cake.

The only concern I have is that the Klipsch guy told me there was no question but that this kind of damage was caused during shipping. I told him the packaging was pristine (both the interior and exterior cartons and the styrofoam packaging), but he said there was no question the sub had been dropped or mishandled somewhere along the way during shipment or storage at Newegg and this caused the pins to shear. Makes me a little nervous about any other damage that might have been done, but the sub looks spotless on the outside and plays great, so who knows? It's under warranty anyway, so if something stops working or I discover something else that's wrong, it's not like I don't have recourse.

I'd also add that Newegg and Klipsch were excellent to deal with about this, so this experience hasn't done anything to lessen the chances I'd make a purchase from them again.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!
Kurth01 is offline  
post #561 of 2776 Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,224
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Thanks for the follow up.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #562 of 2776 Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurth01 View Post

Thanks for the helpful tip. I think that would definitely work.

.......biggrin.gif

Quote:
It got better for me, too, after I called Klipsh and told them my situation. They said they'd send me a new grill out right away. So, now all I have to do is dig out the sheared-off pins in the sub. Looking at it again, and considering the tips people here have provided, I think that should be a piece of cake.

.......biggrin.gif

Quote:
The only concern I have is that the Klipsch guy told me there was no question but that this kind of damage was caused during shipping. I told him the packaging was pristine (both the interior and exterior cartons and the styrofoam packaging), but he said there was no question the sub had been dropped or mishandled somewhere along the way during shipment or storage at Newegg and this caused the pins to shear. Makes me a little nervous about any other damage that might have been done, but the sub looks spotless on the outside and plays great, so who knows? It's under warranty anyway, so if something stops working or I discover something else that's wrong, it's not like I don't have recourse.

I'd also add that Newegg and Klipsch were excellent to deal with about this, so this experience hasn't done anything to lessen the chances I'd make a purchase from them again.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

.......biggrin.gif
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #563 of 2776 Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Senior Member
 
sojodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I've been on a trip and I got home last night to a huge box. I opened it up, tried to shake it to see if there is anything loose, and all looks good. The grill even comes off and on. I turned it on and set the volume to -10 and ran Audyssey. I got a -8.5. Kept turning it down until I got a -2 on the AVR. I was all the way down to -17 on the sub. I was connecting straight to the left connection and took off my double sub connection. I have a Denon 1613 that has the multieq Audyssey and my room is roughly 15 x 20. Is -17 too low?
sojodave is offline  
post #564 of 2776 Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,224
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojodave View Post

I've been on a trip and I got home last night to a huge box. I opened it up, tried to shake it to see if there is anything loose, and all looks good. The grill even comes off and on. I turned it on and set the volume to -10 and ran Audyssey. I got a -8.5. Kept turning it down until I got a -2 on the AVR. I was all the way down to -17 on the sub. I was connecting straight to the left connection and took off my double sub connection. I have a Denon 1613 that has the multieq Audyssey and my room is roughly 15 x 20. Is -17 too low?
No. Thats pretty standard. Leave it there and adjust the sub volume with the avr if necessary.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
post #565 of 2776 Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
 
bobby2478's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I had a similar problem where the pin on the grill was broken off, however the rest of the sub looked and worked great with no issues. I called Klipsch and they are sending me a replacement grill free of charge. So no issues. Klipsch is very good on this sort of thing by the way, I have their 2.1 promedia computer speaker set and my cat chewed through the speaker wires. I called and inquired about a replacement set of cables expecting I'd have to pay for a replacement, and they sent me a replacement set of speaker wires for free as a warranty replacement. So my experience has been great with Klipsch.

Also good exeperience with Newegg. One of the subs I got had a loose port tube, so I had Newegg take it back and send me a replacement. I received my replacement the other day and this one also has a loose port tube and a broken peg on the grill. I called Newegg and they are going to replace this one also for free. So overall, whenever I've had an issue, they've taken care of it. Also, I would bet money the port tube being knocked loose was caused by UPS during shipping: they are TERRIBLE with handling of packages in shipping.

I would not assume just because of the defective units people have received these are refurbs. Like I said, shipping damage is real with the way UPS throws things around, even if the box isn't pierced and the unit isn't scratched.
bobby2478 is offline  
post #566 of 2776 Old 02-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Angler55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mouth of the AuSable River, Michigan
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post

I had a similar problem where the pin on the grill was broken off, however the rest of the sub looked and worked great with no issues. I called Klipsch and they are sending me a replacement grill free of charge. So no issues. Klipsch is very good on this sort of thing by the way, I have their 2.1 promedia computer speaker set and my cat chewed through the speaker wires. I called and inquired about a replacement set of cables expecting I'd have to pay for a replacement, and they sent me a replacement set of speaker wires for free as a warranty replacement. So my experience has been great with Klipsch.

Also good exeperience with Newegg. One of the subs I got had a loose port tube, so I had Newegg take it back and send me a replacement. I received my replacement the other day and this one also has a loose port tube and a broken peg on the grill. I called Newegg and they are going to replace this one also for free. So overall, whenever I've had an issue, they've taken care of it. Also, I would bet money the port tube being knocked loose was caused by UPS during shipping: they are TERRIBLE with handling of packages in shipping.

I would not assume just because of the defective units people have received these are refurbs. Like I said, shipping damage is real with the way UPS throws things around, even if the box isn't pierced and the unit isn't scratched.

I agree that Klipsch and Newegg are reputable companies and have excellent custumer service most of the time and all of these port issues suggest something else. Build quality could have been much better for these subs even at the discounted price.

Al
Angler55 is offline  
post #567 of 2776 Old 02-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Member
 
shashchatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
First, a shout out to Newegg. I ordered the sub last week for $349, right before they went on sale. I just sent them an email, and though they said that they usually don't match the price fluctuations on their own site, since mine was still in transit they would credit me back $50. I am a satisfied customer.

About the RW-12Ds that seem to be arriving damaged must have gone through some pretty rough shock to get damaged like that. Mine came not only in the strong foam inserts in the original Klipsch packaging, but a 2nd layer of 2-inch foam all around and a second box that Newegg packs it in. Mine showed up with no issues whatsoever.
shashchatter is offline  
post #568 of 2776 Old 02-06-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojodave View Post

I've been on a trip and I got home last night to a huge box. I opened it up, tried to shake it to see if there is anything loose, and all looks good. The grill even comes off and on. I turned it on and set the volume to -10 and ran Audyssey. I got a -8.5. Kept turning it down until I got a -2 on the AVR. I was all the way down to -17 on the sub. I was connecting straight to the left connection and took off my double sub connection. I have a Denon 1613 that has the multieq Audyssey and my room is roughly 15 x 20. Is -17 too low?
No. Thats pretty standard. Leave it there and adjust the sub volume with the avr if necessary.

+1

lovinthehd is offline  
post #569 of 2776 Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Newbie
 
masterli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On sale again with coupon code EMCXVXN98. Ends 2/13. Debating on getting a second one heh. Truly changed my thoughts on subs. I have a decent Velodyne DLS4000R which is a bit more musical but moved to a bigger place and the extra power of the rw-12d literally transformed my setup. I think it's a perfect fit for my Polk RTi line up. As many already said, there are better subs obviously but cheaper than my "better" DLS4000R but in my situation the Klipsch wins. Thinking of pairing another one with my Polk LSi's. Bit of a mismatch but for that price I'd be more than happy.
masterli is offline  
post #570 of 2776 Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Member
 
Freddyknuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Bridgewater, MA
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post

I had a similar problem where the pin on the grill was broken off, however the rest of the sub looked and worked great with no issues. I called Klipsch and they are sending me a replacement grill free of charge. So no issues. Klipsch is very good on this sort of thing by the way, I have their 2.1 promedia computer speaker set and my cat chewed through the speaker wires. I called and inquired about a replacement set of cables expecting I'd have to pay for a replacement, and they sent me a replacement set of speaker wires for free as a warranty replacement. So my experience has been great with Klipsch.

Also good exeperience with Newegg. One of the subs I got had a loose port tube, so I had Newegg take it back and send me a replacement. I received my replacement the other day and this one also has a loose port tube and a broken peg on the grill. I called Newegg and they are going to replace this one also for free. So overall, whenever I've had an issue, they've taken care of it. Also, I would bet money the port tube being knocked loose was caused by UPS during shipping: they are TERRIBLE with handling of packages in shipping.

I would not assume just because of the defective units people have received these are refurbs. Like I said, shipping damage is real with the way UPS throws things around, even if the box isn't pierced and the unit isn't scratched.
I have a broken pin on my grille too. I called Klipsch yesterday and they were very helpful. They are sending me out a brand new grill as well. I told him I has a loose port upon arrival too and he assured me that these events were occuring during shippment. He said they have been working with NewEgg on the problem and that's why they are double boxed now. He said that has greatly cut down on shipping damage and returns but there is still some. My grill is in the mail. smile.gif

Freddyknuckles is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Subwoofers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off