Klipsch RW-12d on sale for $299 at Newegg.com again today! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2776 Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm on the fence with ordering this sub before the sale ends tomorrow.

I can deal with the various loose tubes and even the damaged grill pegs, but in the Newegg feedback comments several folks said the sub would not go into standby and even Klipsch couldn't fix it.

Can anyone here comment on this. Is it a universal problem or just a few units or maybe even operator error?
I definitely do not want to have to power off the sub every time it's not in use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by wader2k View Post

I'm on the fence with ordering this sub before the sale ends tomorrow.

I can deal with the various loose tubes and even the damaged grill pegs, but in the Newegg feedback comments several folks said the sub would not go into standby and even Klipsch couldn't fix it.

Can anyone here comment on this. Is it a universal problem or just a few units or maybe even operator error?
I definitely do not want to have to power off the sub every time it's not in use.
It should be of no concern. Very few people have mentioned this problem.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #633 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 04:47 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:

Many, many times it's been mentioned regarding problems with the auto-on function. It's not just a Klipsch centric problem. Some of the problem has been shown to be a weak gain signal reaching the sub so the auto-on circuit fails to detect the needed current surge necessary to cause power up. The cure has been shown to be the simple connection of both the L and R inputs, via a "Y" splitter. This increases the original gain signal and helps overcome the insensitivity of the detection circuit.

If the detection or relay circuitry is defective, then it needs to be returned or if possible, routed around by using the on/off switch.

The point, history has shown the auto-on feature to not be dependable technology and this point needs to be taken into consideration when discussing problems with this feature. In our case, we're old school and our subs don't have an auto-on feature and we're use to manually turning the subs on and off.

So direct response to your questions, yes, this is a universal problem, that does have work around solutions such as the addition of a "Y" splitter. And as previously mentioned, in the final, when all else fails, there's the old fashion way of doing things, at the back of the unit, manually turning the units on and off.

-
post #634 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 05:25 AM

Liked: 10
yeah I kept the box since I don't have all my speakers and receiver yet to test out the sub.
post #635 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismosr View Post

yeah I kept the box since I don't have all my speakers and receiver yet to test out the sub.

Personally, it's a garage stacking pain to save all these dead boxes on the off shoot that they're going be called on to ship the product back for any warranty/repair work but what can ya do? And then there's the whole moving thing and the need to protect your gear while in transient. With boxes like this, ya just can't win. tongue.gif
post #636 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

You have nothing with an RCA line level output or even something with a speaker level output? I don't think I've been in that position for 44 years now smile.gif so it seems a bit strange to me....

Lovin,
are you talking about the speakers ? i'm kind a new with this stuff. I'm waiting for a pair of BIC Acoustech PL-89 and PL-28 center, UPS says it will be delivered this coming monday. This will be use primarily for movies and music 75/25%.
post #637 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Personally, it's a garage stacking pain to save all these dead boxes on the off shoot that they're going be called on to ship the product back for any warranty/repair work but what can ya do?

I'm hoping that would not the case with my sub when I turn it on.. crossing fingers or I could just drive it to them since we are in the same city in new jersey.=)
post #638 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismosr View Post

I'm hoping that would not the case with my sub when I turn it on.. crossing fingers or I could just drive it to them since we are in the same city in new jersey.=)

Then as long as not needed in a move, you're golden. I have to save every box to the point of OCD, which, like most here, I'm blessed with. I have the boxes for the 60" TV, the AVR, the center channel and many other various computer related boxes and yes, these boxes take up a boatload of valuable real estate in the garage.
Rasta Linus likes this.
post #639 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So I got one of these RW-12d subwoofers via UPS that was DOA.
I just got off the phone with a CSR from newegg again.
I am still waiting for the result of their "investigation".
They say that one possibility is that they will issue me a refund,
and invite me to dispose of the RW-12d myself. Great. I may get to dispose of a 50lb DOA subwoofer myself...

In any case, if this actually turns out to be the outcome, then is it worth it to open her up and try to repair the damage?
So far the subwoofer LCD screen does not power on and the sub turns off automatically after about 5 seconds of use... and when it is on it sounds terrible.
Although I can see no apparent damage from the exterior of the unit...
post #640 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfD View Post

In any case, if this actually turns out to be the outcome, then is it worth it to open her up and try to repair the damage?

Maybe you have a simple Amp problem and you can get an inexpensive replacement from Klipsch or Parts Express. If they're going give it to you, what the hey, turn it into entertainment as opposed to throwing it away. That's a great box and driver that's still good and IIRC, you can use it as a passive sub and add an outboard amplifier on the cheap. Seriously, if they're going give it to you, use this as a chance to see what you can learn.
post #641 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Many, many times it's been mentioned regarding problems with the auto-on function. It's not just a Klipsch centric problem. Some of the problem has been shown to be a weak gain signal reaching the sub so the auto-on circuit fails to detect the needed current surge necessary to cause power up. The cure has been shown to be the simple connection of both the L and R inputs, via a "Y" splitter. This increases the original gain signal and helps overcome the insensitivity of the detection circuit.

If the detection or relay circuitry is defective, then it needs to be returned or if possible, routed around by using the on/off switch.

The point, history has shown the auto-on feature to not be dependable technology and this point needs to be taken into consideration when discussing problems with this feature. In our case, we're old school and our subs don't have an auto-on feature and we're use to manually turning the subs on and off.

So direct response to your questions, yes, this is a universal problem, that does have work around solutions such as the addition of a "Y" splitter. And as previously mentioned, in the final, when all else fails, there's the old fashion way of doing things, at the back of the unit, manually turning the units on and off.

-
He was asking if he should be concerned specifically about the RW12 having problems with the auto on feature.Thats why I said he need not be concerned. I have seen very few people complain that the RW12 auto on feature was not working properly.

post #642 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 07:37 AM

Thank you for the replies Bond and BeeMan!

I just jumped off the fence and will be placing an order today. This will join my newly acquired Yamaha RX-673.

Now I need to decide on the remaining speakers for a 5.1 setup and put it all together.
post #643 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I had an "awesome sub" moment last night. I put on Flight Of The Phoenix plane crash demo. My lamp is next to my RW-12D and the light started flickering with the shacking of the sub and then bink! My new sub blew out a light bulb. First, I was glad my wife wasn't in the room, second, I gave myself a high five. I think I'm going to have to move my lamp.
Rasta Linus likes this.
post #644 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just jumped off the fence and will be placing an order today. This will join my newly acquired Yamaha RX-673.

Now I need to decide on the remaining speakers for a 5.1 setup and put it all together.
Nice receiver. I have the 671.

post #645 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:

.....biggrin.gif
post #646 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Nice receiver. I have the 671.

Cool! I've been reading thru the official 673 thread. Will prob read the 671 thread next for grins.
What speakers are you running? I haven't quite decided between bookshelves or towers up front.
post #647 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Cool! I've been reading thru the official 673 thread. Will prob read the 671 thread next for grins.
What speakers are you running? I haven't quite decided between bookshelves or towers up front.
7.1. All klipsch except a Bic pl26 center and using front prescence instead of back surround. RW12 and a Bic F12 for subs.

post #648 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM

Cool. The only Klipsch towers in my price range were the 42ii's.

I was considering the BIC similar to this http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Acoustech-PL-76-Theater-System/dp/B001UH9HFQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_4
but I might go with bookshelves instead
post #649 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Cool. The only Klipsch towers in my price range were the 42ii's.

I was considering the BIC similar to this http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Acoustech-PL-76-Theater-System/dp/B001UH9HFQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_4
but I might go with bookshelves instead
You should seriously consider these with the matching center and surrounds.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-FS52-LR-Designed-standing-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2S4/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360778219&sr=1-3&keywords=pioneer+jones

post #650 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 242

Too bad you missed the x1 series when newegg was clearing them out (anyone see a pattern here?).

That's what I have.

The x2 series has bookshelves, also (BS22).

All are out of stock at newegg.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #651 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 AM

I've seriously looked at the Pioneer set.
Then I got sidetracked reading about the Cambridge Audio S30's and Infinity 363's and so forth and so on. Without trying them in the room it is hard to choose.
The Pioneer setup would be the easiest to just pull the trigger on at this point, but reading the speaker forum here keeps me guessing. Sometimes too much info can be a hindrance.

Bottom line I want the best sound I can get for my money. Remaining budget is around $800 (1000 if I stretch) for 2 fronts, center, and 2 surrounds....
I plan on pulling the trigger before 2 days is up.

edit: the main thing that seemed to draw me away from the Pioneer was the lower efficiency compared to Klipsch, BIC, anything with horns, etc. They are also 6 ohms if I remember right.
post #652 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 PM

Liked: 12
Received mine today, haven't opened the inner box yet but I hear something rattling. I hope its just the power cord. Will find out more when I unbox tonight. Crossing my fingers!
post #653 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've seriously looked at the Pioneer set.
Then I got sidetracked reading about the Cambridge Audio S30's and Infinity 363's and so forth and so on. Without trying them in the room it is hard to choose.
The Pioneer setup would be the easiest to just pull the trigger on at this point, but reading the speaker forum here keeps me guessing. Sometimes too much info can be a hindrance.

Bottom line I want the best sound I can get for my money. Remaining budget is around $800 (1000 if I stretch) for 2 fronts, center, and 2 surrounds....
I plan on pulling the trigger before 2 days is up.

edit: the main thing that seemed to draw me away from the Pioneer was the lower efficiency compared to Klipsch, BIC, anything with horns, etc. They are also 6 ohms if I remember right.
The efficiency rating means nothing if you are buying the set. The 673 can handle that quite well. Especially if you want to stay under $800 the Pioneer are the best bang for the buck in my opinion. What sets them apart from some others in that field are that they are great for music also. Not just something loud for ht. If you have a medium to small room and are not specifically looking for the horn type of sound you cant go wrong with them. I didnt know about them when I got my stuff or I would have gotten them.
Browse this thread and ask around.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point/3810#post_22959178

post #654 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:

edit: the main thing that seemed to draw me away from the Pioneer was the lower efficiency compared to Klipsch, BIC, anything with horns, etc.

Our mains are Klipsch, Epic, CF-3's which are the older brothers to the RF-7 II's and they have an efficiency rating of 100dB/1w/1m. The center channel is the newly released RC-64 II and it has a rating of 99dB/2.83v/1m. The beauty of such efficient speakers is the ease in which they're able to reach reference levels without need for a separate amplifier.

Beware of Klipsch speakers with horns in them as horns have a tendency to throw sound at the listener and if not to a person's liking, will be a huge turnoff. Both the Epic, CF-3's and the RF-7 II's are a nominal 8 ohms. If you haven't already, if you're able, before buying, I'd recommend auditioning any of the Klipsch horn loaded speakers you do decide you'd like to buy.
post #655 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 03:16 PM

Again, thanks for the input BeeMan and Bond!

I've read threads here until my eyes are bleeding - that thread and many more.
At this point I need to find a best buy and listen to some horn loaded speakers to determine if I care for them.
The Pioneers are tempting, but I want the best I can afford and indecision is haunting me.

My last real system was 15 years ago. It was also a midlevel Yamaha Rcvr and a Klipsch SW-8 sub. I had some sort of ADS LR Mains with a center and surrounds I don't remember.. The RW-12D has to be an upgrade to the SW-8.

I have been suffering with an RCA HTIB system for several years and can't wait to get this all set up alongside my new 60" Vizio!
post #656 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Again, thanks for the input BeeMan and Bond!

....biggrin.gif

---snip---

I have been suffering with an RCA HTIB system for several years and can't wait to get this all set up alongside my new 60" Vizio![/quote]

....frown.gif

That's sad but when you do get set up, it's will be a "Beautiful day in the neighborhood" and you will smile, smile, smile.

....biggrin.gif
post #657 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 03:23 PM

You know what's really sad....I've been contemplating running the Yamaha into the speakers that came with the RCA HTIB....but I just can't do it! Gotta wait!
post #658 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 03:45 PM

Ok, so here is my update. I received my 2 RW12-D subs yesterday. The boxes both had slight damage (see the pic) but the subs themselves were perfect with no damage. Both subs had disconnected ports. I think it was warehouse forklift tines that did this, not UPS.

Today, I fixed the first one. I removed the amplifier panel and used some standard duct tape. I put several pieces around the inside of where the port mounts (I don't have a hot glue gun) and then re-inserted the port tube. I then used several more pieces around the outside of the port tube/port junction. It is now nice and solid in place. I can glue it later if I need to, but I think it will be fine. I just had to test it out!

So I pulled my HSU-STF2 sub. Here is a comparison shot of the 2 side by side

I used the same single LFE connection to the RIGHT RCA input. Seemed to work fine. I plugged it in and powered it up. Everything looked good. LCD screen was fine and the proper power cord was in the box.

I set the sub to DEPTH, 0db on the volume, set the crossover to 80hz and left the rest. I think put in the HD-DVD of Transformers just for a quick test run.

I have to say that the Infinity is different than the HSU. The HSU output is tight and very controlled. The soundstage is narrower. The Klipsch output is much broader. You can really feel it and it does a great job of filling in the lower end. I think it is sloppier than the HSU, but I only had about 30 minutes to goof with it before I needed to get my son at school so I will have to play with it more to get a better idea. It is in the exact spot as the HSU (8 inches from the back was and about 2 feet from the side wall).

Here are the stats of my system currently.

Front Left/Right - Paradigm Titan V2
Center - Paradigm CC270 Center V2
Rear - Paradigm Atom V2
AMP - Marantz SR5002
Toshiba HD-DVD XA2

I bought the 2 of them for my new dedicated theater room build I will be doing over the next 8 months or so (while doing other parts of the house at the same time). My gut is telling me that 2 might be too much for my room.
My Marantz is a great little receiver, but does not have the benefit of Audyssey for correcting, nor did I do a bunch of setup with an SPL meter etc. It is just setup with my Video Essentials and my ears. I think that it will make a great sub once I get it tuned.

I might return the other on after I play with this one tomorrow. See if I can get it set just right. I can say that there is a noticeable difference between FLAT, PUNCH and DEPTH. I think PUNCH might be the best choice if you like your base tight. But again, without really digging in, it is very subjective at this point. My room is quite large with the theater being a 12x25 section of a 35x25 family room. The new theater will be about 15x22 with acoustical treatments, riser etc along with base traps, so that will make a difference. I will most likely just keep the other one just in case. smile.gif

I will report more tomorrow.
post #659 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Keep in mind that it will cost you to return the hsu. It cost me $67. Im still glad I did it and got the rw. The rw is way better than the stf2. The stf2 is a bedroom sub imo.

post #660 of 2776 Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM

Hehe, I have had the HSU for about 9 years now and it is working great! I plan on keeping it and using it on the dedicated gaming TV later. I meant return the extra Klipsch. smile.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Subwoofers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page