Klipsch RW-12d on sale for $299 at Newegg.com again today! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2776 Old 02-17-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post

I would love to have multiple subs but I think my neighbors would want me out of my apartment, lol! What I'm really looking for is a good, musical sub that can dig deep and hard! I'm just looking for the best sound reproduction that I can afford and get away with here. Good sound quality at low to medium volume is very important to me because I don't want to damage my hearing anymore than I have already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Personally, you're going want more than a single RW-12d if wanting to replicate expected DNB like in a club. More like four RW-12d's would be more like it or a pair or three of upper output ID subwoofers but now you're pushing $3k or more. It's all going be dependent on how far you want to push the issue or what your expectations are going be. 

The Klipsch makes a great starter sub. You can add another to it when the opportunity arises. It's my second, and I was able to get it to blend very nicely with the one I had before.

Still not club DnB, perhaps, but great for family room movies.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2776 Old 02-17-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by wader2k View Post

I noticed the Klipsch comes with 4 little bitty stick on pads in a baggy. They seem awful small in comparison to the feet on the sub, but I assume this is where they are intended for?
Made me wonder about floor treatments. My floor is is basically wood panels. Would it typically be better to sit the sub on a carpet square or leave it on the hard wood surface?
Carpet square.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #723 of 2776 Old 02-17-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Carpet square.
Carpet yes, square, no. You need to have carpet/rug covering at least 75% of the floor, otherwise the midrange and high frequency smear will be overwhelming.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #724 of 2776 Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We have area rugs covering at least 75%...just none in the places I'm likely to position the sub/speakers.

Which reminds me....It is possible I will be mounting bookshelves on stands. Most of the stands I've seen have carpet spikes.
I assume folks don't use these on wood floors either.
post #725 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:

Most of the stands I've seen have carpet spikes.
I assume folks don't use these on wood floors either.

All depends on if the wife is watching or not. tongue.gif

My wife is so protective of her wood in our home, we have to put a nylon chopping plate over the wood chopping block. biggrin.gif

(true story)
post #726 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:

All depends on if the wife is watching or not. tongue.gif

My wife is so protective of her wood in our home, we have to put a nylon chopping plate over the wood chopping block. biggrin.gif

(true story)

8^)

btw. My granddad was a beekeeper...does your username have anything to do with bees or just a nickname?
post #727 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ7 View Post

I had a quick look at the manual for that Sony AVR and it lets you set an independent crossover for each class of speaker (front, center, surround). So you should definitely set the crossover higher for your center, given it's very limited output on the low-end. Based on what you've told us about the speakers, I would recommend something between 120 and 150 Hz– this depends on how generous JBL was with their specification. It's true you'll be able to localize the sub somewhat, when it is playing these upper bass frequencies. But that's much better than losing the freqs entirely smile.gif

And as others have mentioned, this means you should bypass the LPF in the sub... you receiver is capable of handling this, and allows for per-speaker settings.

I finally had a few minutes to hook up the sub yesterday. I set the center and surrounds at 120 and the fronts to 60. I haven't had a chance to do the auto-calibration on the AVR yet. I'm not sure where I put the microphone. Hopefully I can find it and run the auto-calibration this week. Everything sounds good so far, based on some general tv watching.
post #728 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Glad your liking it, btw, how come you have the center and surrounds at 120? It seems really high, also if you have a tri pod, you will want to put it on your couch, then put the microphone ontop of the tri pod, if you dont have a tripod, then just put the microphone on the top back of the couch.

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, EMOTIVA XDA-2, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
post #729 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:

8^)

btw. My granddad was a beekeeper...does your username have anything to do with bees or just a nickname?

I was a bee killer. eek.gif

In answer to your question, both regarding having to do with bees and a nickname as one day, when knocking at the door of a customer to announce my arrival, the young son on the other side of the door yelled out to his mom: "Mom, the BeeMan is here!" and that's been me ever since.

The honey bees are safe as I'm now retired from the bee killing game. tongue.gif

An aside, as to the number in my name, apparently, there were a lot of people before me who had signed up wanting to use that moniker and I signed up decades ago.
post #730 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1173
Quote:

Which reminds me....It is possible I will be mounting bookshelves on stands. Most of the stands I've seen have carpet spikes.
I assume folks don't use these on wood floors either
Spikes give a more solid grip of the stand with carpet. With bare floors you want rubber feet.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #731 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:

...The honey bees are safe as I'm now retired from the bee killing game. tongue.gif

Hehe. Granddad found a nest in the attic and decided to take up a new hobby. Captured the queen and started a hive in the back. Nothing like fresh honey on the comb!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Spikes give a more solid grip of the stand with carpet. With bare floors you want rubber feet.

Thanks for the info!!
post #732 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
the deal for $299 is over now. seems like it's on sale quite frequently. Does anyone know the trend that newegg does with this sub?

post #733 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 202

They just need time to loosen up some more ports.

wink.gif

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #734 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 09:59 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post

the deal for $299 is over now. seems like it's on sale quite frequently. Does anyone know the trend that newegg does with this sub?

It has been on sale every weekend for the last few weekends. They will keep selling them until Klipsch doesn't have anymore of them to sell.
post #735 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

Glad your liking it, btw, how come you have the center and surrounds at 120? It seems really high, also if you have a tri pod, you will want to put it on your couch, then put the microphone ontop of the tri pod, if you dont have a tripod, then just put the microphone on the top back of the couch.

I have some small JBL speakers that are only rated to 120. The fronts are rated to 40. I'm hoping to be able to upgrade the center soon, but a new TV is first on my list.
post #736 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 12:27 PM

Liked: 10
I have been using mine now for about 5 days and have around 20 hours on it. I have to say this thing is powerful. I still haven't done any kind of calibration. I am just monkeying around with the settings, but man this things pounds. I popped in Fantastic 4 last night and at -25 on the Marantz just shook the house. I think one is enough for my room size.
post #737 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 PM

Indeed ....watched Finding Nemo last nite. The whale scene and the little girl thumping the aquarium were outstanding! My wife said she'd never HEARD the whale before. Felt is more like it!
post #738 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Is there a current code that is working?
post #739 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by SightSeeker1 View Post

Is there a current code that is working?

I believe the latest code expired yesterday.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
post #740 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:

Indeed ....watched Finding Nemo last nite. The whale scene and the little girl thumping the aquarium were outstanding! My wife said she'd never HEARD the whale before. Felt is more like it!

Yep, now's the time to head over here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts if you haven't already to start making a list smile.gif

post #741 of 2776 Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 PM

Liked: 11
lovinthehd,

Thanks for the link. I've had mines for about 2 weeks and I also watched Finding Nemo over the weekend as well and wader2k is correct, the sceen with th little girl tapping on the tank was shaking my whole room (even the wife was impressed)...lol. One is more than enough for my room and now I have to do something about my return vent because its rattles like crazy on bass scenes. I will have to start making my list asap,

Thanks!
post #742 of 2776 Old 02-19-2013, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Look at post #327

You could PM him also.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1420999/klipsch-rw-12d-subwoofer-only-299-save-70/300

Or you can contact Newegg to report the problem and request an RMA, as well as return shipping label, and request a new one. That's what I did. I have returned 2 subs now due to loose port tubes (which as was discussed earlier have nothing to do with Klipsch or Newegg, it is 100% rough handling by UPS during shipping) and the RMA process is easy. Each time they give me an RMA and return shipping label with no hassle, they receive it and "test" it out (only took a day), then immediately shipped out a replacement. The way UPS chucks packages around it shouldn't be surprising that a high number of subs have port tubes knocked loose.

So I'm not sure why some people said that Newegg forces them to go through Klipsch warranty unless its after the first 30 days. And if that's the case it's your own fault for not checking it sooner. As soon as I receive mine I hook it up and test it out to make sure there are no issues, if there are, I can return within the 30 days and there are no problems.

So people saying Newegg doesn't do well when dealing with defective merchandise doesn't know what they are talking about, I've NEVER had a problem when I had an issue with defective merchandise, and I even got a refund on a product where the product specs/description were misleading (PSU for computer that wasn't rated to output the wattage they listed in it's description). If you want to return it just because you don't want it anymore, than Newegg will be much less generous then Amazon, but for defective merchandise they should be the same.
post #743 of 2776 Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Yep, now's the time to head over here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts if you haven't already to start making a list smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by XclusiveTN View Post

lovinthehd,

Thanks for the link. I've had mines for about 2 weeks and I also watched Finding Nemo over the weekend as well and wader2k is correct, the sceen with th little girl tapping on the tank was shaking my whole room (even the wife was impressed)...lol. One is more than enough for my room and now I have to do something about my return vent because its rattles like crazy on bass scenes. I will have to start making my list asap,

Thanks!

I've noticed that thread before, will definitely be checking it out!

I haven't really pushed it yet....but I may have to rethink positioning of a few things in the living room. My biggest concern is an upright China cabinet with 2 complete sets of depression glass - not too far from the sub right now. The sub is probably going to move to the other wall alongside the couch. Is there a problem with 50 feet of RCA cable to the sub??!
post #744 of 2776 Old 02-19-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post

Or you can contact Newegg to report the problem and request an RMA, as well as return shipping label, and request a new one. That's what I did. I have returned 2 subs now due to loose port tubes (which as was discussed earlier have nothing to do with Klipsch or Newegg, it is 100% rough handling by UPS during shipping) and the RMA process is easy. Each time they give me an RMA and return shipping label with no hassle, they receive it and "test" it out (only took a day), then immediately shipped out a replacement. The way UPS chucks packages around it shouldn't be surprising that a high number of subs have port tubes knocked loose.

So I'm not sure why some people said that Newegg forces them to go through Klipsch warranty unless its after the first 30 days. And if that's the case it's your own fault for not checking it sooner. As soon as I receive mine I hook it up and test it out to make sure there are no issues, if there are, I can return within the 30 days and there are no problems.

So people saying Newegg doesn't do well when dealing with defective merchandise doesn't know what they are talking about, I've NEVER had a problem when I had an issue with defective merchandise, and I even got a refund on a product where the product specs/description were misleading (PSU for computer that wasn't rated to output the wattage they listed in it's description). If you want to return it just because you don't want it anymore, than Newegg will be much less generous then Amazon, but for defective merchandise they should be the same.

I am glad to hear that, but many others on here are not having that experience. In fact, there are more negative stories than positive ones. I am not sure if it was this thread or the other thread dedicated to this sub and sale, but someone received a defective unit that wouldn't even power on and Newegg is refusing to take it back. They are "investigating" and filing a claim with UPS and will let him know the outcome in 2 weeks. They won't take it back and won't send a new one until they finish their investigation. Other people in these threads have gotten the wrong power cord or it was missing altogether and Newegg refused to help. Same thing with the broken pegs on the grill. People are having to go to Klipsch directly for help because Newegg isn't cooperating. I am not saying anyone is lying here, but most people don't seem to be having your luck with their customer service department with these issues.

Energy RC-70s (2) | Energy RC-LCR | Energy CB-5s (4) | SVS PB-2000 | Pioneer VSX-1020K | Samsung UN65F8000 | PS3 | PS4 | Apple TV (2nd gen) | DirecTV HR34 HMC | Harmony Ultimate
post #745 of 2776 Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post

I am glad to hear that, but many others on here are not having that experience. In fact, there are more negative stories than positive ones. I am not sure if it was this thread or the other thread dedicated to this sub and sale, but someone received a defective unit that wouldn't even power on and Newegg is refusing to take it back. They are "investigating" and filing a claim with UPS and will let him know the outcome in 2 weeks. They won't take it back and won't send a new one until they finish their investigation. Other people in these threads have gotten the wrong power cord or it was missing altogether and Newegg refused to help. Same thing with the broken pegs on the grill. People are having to go to Klipsch directly for help because Newegg isn't cooperating. I am not saying anyone is lying here, but most people don't seem to be having your luck with their customer service department with these issues.

Not all of that is accurate. If someone has a defective unit and Newegg is refusing to take it back, that doesn't sound right unless it is past the 30 day return window, in which case Newegg would probably tell them to go through Klipsch warranty. Whenever you return something that is defective they "inspect" it once they receive it to verify it is in fact defective. They did this with one of mine, in a day i got an email saying they verified it was defective and they immediately sent out a replacement. So just because someone said that Newegg won't take back a defective product doesn't sound right, as under normal circumstances they do (they've done it for me twice already in the past month).

For people who got the wrong cord, no cord, or have a broken grill, Newegg WILL do something, however all they can do is give you a return label to ship the whole thing back and then they'll send out a replacement. Most people (including myself) found it easier to just contact Klipsch warranty support as they can send just a grill instead of having you return the whole sub. So again, it isn't Newegg isn't cooperating, but all they can do is exchange the whole sub and can't just send out a power cord or new grill.
post #746 of 2776 Old 02-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 231
Quote:

I noticed the Klipsch comes with 4 little bitty stick on pads in a baggy. They seem awful small in comparison to the feet on the sub, but I assume this is where they are intended for?
Made me wonder about floor treatments. My floor is is basically wood panels. Would it typically be better to sit the sub on a carpet square or leave it on the hard wood surface?

My RW-12d is on a hardwood floor and resonates and performs awesomely.  It is no match, of course, for a much larger sub.  But, for what it is, and for $299 from newegg, one of the best bangs for the buck on new I have gotten.

i listen sometimes at high volumes, so high the grill rattles.  I just take it off then . . . Beautiful in motion without the grill, so no problem.  Just pop the grill back on when listening at lower volume or when off to keep dust of the woofer.

In six months, at times at high volumes, the sub has not moved a hair in all of that time.  So, try it on hardwood without a carpet square . . . The poly feet, cheap as they are, work extremely well on hardwood floors without a carpet square, and then, there is no carpet square that might scoot from high volume listening.

The Klipsch design engineers are simply gifted.  The RW12d is a trusted design with exceptional engineering in a $299 package.  The the little poly feet work great for me on a hardwood floor, just as designed.

Let us know, whatever you do, how it works out best for you.

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by! --Douglas Adams
post #747 of 2776 Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Carpet yes, square, no. You need to have carpet/rug covering at least 75% of the floor, otherwise the midrange and high frequency smear will be overwhelming.

+1--great fact to know.  Thanks so much, Bill . . . That helps me understand why I am getting great results on a hardwood floor without a carpet square.  Appreciate the info.

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by! --Douglas Adams
post #748 of 2776 Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 PM

Liked: 11
Hi All - Just read through 25 pages of this thread, lol. I am trying to decide on a new sub purchase - my current sub was damaged in a move for work and is just the sub that came with Harman Kardon HKTS 18 system (its a 10" 200W piano black sub), worked well enough as I didn't have anything to compare it to and liked it enough.

I am trying to decide between the Klipsch Rw-12D, Cadence CSX12 or the Lava LSP12. They are all roughly the same price so price isn't a concern. I also have an option to pick up an older used B&W ASW1000 sub that I can't find much if any info on for about half as much.

Between the Klipsch, Cadence and the Lava, what does everyone recommend bewteen those three? My room is about 14x14 and open to a kitchen area about 10x6, 9ft celings, tile floor. I have ready everything I could find on the three of them but can't make up my mind...kind of leaning towards the Cadence.
post #749 of 2776 Old 02-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljn21 View Post

Hi All - Just read through 25 pages of this thread, lol. I am trying to decide on a new sub purchase - my current sub was damaged in a move for work and is just the sub that came with Harman Kardon HKTS 18 system (its a 10" 200W piano black sub), worked well enough as I didn't have anything to compare it to and liked it enough.

I am trying to decide between the Klipsch Rw-12D, Cadence CSX12 or the Lava LSP12. They are all roughly the same price so price isn't a concern. I also have an option to pick up an older used B&W ASW1000 sub that I can't find much if any info on for about half as much.

Between the Klipsch, Cadence and the Lava, what does everyone recommend bewteen those three? My room is about 14x14 and open to a kitchen area about 10x6, 9ft celings, tile floor. I have ready everything I could find on the three of them but can't make up my mind...kind of leaning towards the Cadence.

So, you have read 747 posts in this Klipsch (not Cadence or Lava) sub thread, and you still have not decided, and you are asking us whether we would confirm your lean toward purchasing the Cadence sub instead of the Klipsch sub in the title of this thread?

Let me simplify the 747 posts you just read  . . . The Klipsch RW-12D is the best bang for the buck for a 12" sub out there for $299!!!!!!!

Every Cadence owner should sell their sub and buy the Klipsch RW-12D!!!!

Have I auditioned a Cadence sub in a room in a side-by-side comparison with a Klipsch RW-12D?  No.  I don't need to.  I am too busy enjoying the amazing thump from my RW-12D right now than trying to figure out if a different similarly priced sub could be better . . . 

Questions?

I would call a "troll alert" here, except you only have 14 posts.  Which means, you are paralyzed, thinking you might make the wrong decision.  We have all been there early on as we learned.

Seriously, at this point, pull the trigger on one so you can enjoy any thump in music and movies, since your other one got destroyed in the move.

You cannot go wrong with the RW-12d.  Mine is set between a pair of La Scalas.  And I am very pleased with the sub.

All he best in your decision.

post #750 of 2776 Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 PM

Liked: 24
Best bang for your buck sub also belongs to the bic pl200. I've had a chance to demo both. Honestly rw-12 is a great sub. But it's not the best sub at $300
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Subwoofers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page