Klipsch RW-12d on sale for $299 at Newegg.com again today! - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2776 Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

The problem I have with that is the very loud "THUNK" they make when they're turned on. So I leave mine on standby.
60 Minutes, maybe not, but the CSI themes sound GREAT.
smile.gif

That's why I like to leave my sub in standby also. I get that "THUNK" that you describe, although it certainly isn't loud, it doesn't sound healthy. On second thought , it probably would be load if my receiver volume was turned up but I have a habit of always turning my receiver all the way down when not in use.

Anyway, that's one reason I wouldn't buy the Klipsch, you never know if the standby mode is going to work or not. I don't care how much energy it uses in the on position or the standby position and I understand some folks who say it doesn't bother them if it works or not. When I buy something I want it to work like it's suppose to work and it's that simple.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2776 Old 03-07-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:

And they can go pretty much anywhere, since frequencies <80Hz are omnidirectional (you can't tell where they're coming from).
I, too, suggest 2 Klipsch.
They can go anywhere but where you place a sub can make a big difference in how it sounds.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1083 of 2776 Old 03-07-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 252

True, but I wanted to make sure he wasn't dissuaded just because he can't put them next to the other speakers near the TV.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #1084 of 2776 Old 03-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
So I played with my RW-12D a bit today. I love this subs ability to get loud, but after some time dissapointed by its lack of detail in sound.

Having read a bit about polyfill I decided to try stuffing the inside cabinet of the 12D with some polyfill to see if it made a substantial difference. While I have not ran any real big tests, just some initial listening impressions checking out a few scenes of movies and some music, it appears there is a bit better response. Listening to a few scenes in cloverfield, explosions seemed more pronounced, if there were two explosions, you heard to seperate explosions not just some big loud noise that shook the house.

I did not re-run audyssey or anything and im sure some charecteristics of its output have changed, tommorow/this weeked I plan on setting up REW and playing around a bit taking some measurements.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #1085 of 2776 Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm very interested in seeing your results Shady195.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #1086 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 231

For anybody interested in buying, the sub is still on sale at newegg through 3/11 for $299 with promo code EMCXTXR223.

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by! --Douglas Adams
post #1087 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 AM

Liked: 12
A day late, but my kill-a-watt test results with 2 of the subs.
As I expected, when the physical power switch is off, 0 watts power draw. If you tested this and get any power draw with the switch off, I'd suggest checking your testing method or you have a sub with a problem and I'd be calling Klipsch.
In standby or when playing very low volume, 15 watts.
I would have thought standby would have been less, but i can live with that or maybe I didnt wait long enough. The display said standby, but I might try again and wait a bit longer to see if there is some additional delay sleep mode or somthing.
Also, as some recently mentioned a loud or not so loud thump when turning on, neither of mine do that.
Dead silent when powering on or off. Going into or out of standby also.
Could not measure the difference the display on or off made.
post #1088 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by glugus2000 View Post

As I expected, when the physical power switch is off, 0 watts power draw. If you tested this and get any power draw with the switch off, I'd suggest checking your testing method or you have a sub with a problem and I'd be calling Klipsch.
I would have thought standby would have been less, but i can live with that or maybe I didnt wait long enough. The display said standby, but I might try again and wait a bit longer to see if there is some additional delay sleep mode or somthing.
Also, as some recently mentioned a loud or not so loud thump when turning on, neither of mine do that.

How about when playing a movie with good bass content at reference? smile.gif

post #1089 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
OMG!!!

I just bought one from Newegg! $299 with promo code. I can't wait to FEEL it!
post #1090 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 09:31 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:

... but i can live with that...

Based upon the local tiered electric utility schedule, over a year, at an added $0.31.kw hour, that 15w drain costs one about $41.00/year. Based on one's discretionary income, will depend on how this number will impact their psychic.

(24 hrs in a day times 365 days in a year times 15W/hr, times)/1kW, times $0.31/kw hrs lets one know monetarily, over a year, how much electricity is being sucked out of the wall.

As a retired person, we're sensitive to issues of this kind and when one adds a pair of these little wall piggies, you're now at $82.00/yr and when a few more wall warts are added to the mix, things start to add up.

Just saying.

-
post #1091 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

From what I understand the thump is a house wiring ground issue. It is harmless unless it is very loud which would be very unusual. Some people will also hear it when you turn something on or off that is on the same circuit. A light switch for instance. Ground loop interference I believe it is called.

post #1092 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 09:43 AM

Haven't read up on what "refrence level" even means. Will do some reading soon but I'm sure it would be louder than we normally listen.
But, i did turn it up a few notches playing Dreadlock Holiday by 10cc which has some pretty good base notes.
The kill-a-watt peaked at about 30 watts.

I'll play some more this weekend while the wife is working.
post #1093 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 09:46 AM

Could be ground problem, but since the sub doesn't have the 3rd wire, ground I'd tend to think more amp design or something.
I know the sub I bought and I'm guessing all the rw-12ds have a digital/class D amp so power on thump should not happen.
post #1094 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Question ...

when my Klipsch RW-12d arrives - how will I know if it has a loose port tube? Is this something I feel before powering the unit on? If the port tube is damaged, should I have Newegg send me a replacement?
post #1095 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post

Question ...

when my Klipsch RW-12d arrives - how will I know if it has a loose port tube? Is this something I feel before powering the unit on? If the port tube is damaged, should I have Newegg send me a replacement?
You will know. It will be rattling. Mine was completely off and rattling around in the speaker.

post #1096 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 AM

If it is loose, you may hear it rattle around when you move the box.
To check, the opening at the bottom front of the sub is large enought to look and feel into to see if it is loose.
I didn't call when both subs came in with loose port tubes.
After looking at how they are made, i think Klipsch skimped during assembly.
The tube runs from the port at the bottom front, up at a 45 degree angle pointing at the back top of the cabinet.
The port is, im guessing 20 or more inches long and has no support for the end up inside the cabinet and the glue holding it in the opening, just isn't up to the task.
A small support piece on the inside from the port to the cabinet would have prevented this problem.
The port tube has a flange with holes which appear to be for some screws, so a couple 2 or three inch screws and spacer would have prevented this.
If I get bored one day, I may open one up and see what I can come up with.
Here is a crude drawing that hopefully illistrates what I'm talking about.;
post #1097 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If it is loose, you may hear it rattle around when you move the box.
To check, the opening at the bottom front of the sub is large enought to look and feel into to see if it is loose.
I didn't call when both subs came in with loose port tubes.
After looking at how they are made, i think Klipsch skimped during assembly.
The tube runs from the port at the bottom front, up at a 45 degree angle pointing at the back top of the cabinet.
The port is, im guessing 20 or more inches long and has no support for the end up inside the cabinet and the glue holding it in the opening, just isn't up to the task.
A small support piece on the inside from the port to the cabinet would have prevented this problem.
The port tube has a flange with holes which appear to be for some screws, so a couple 2 or three inch screws and spacer would have prevented this.
If I get bored one day, I may open one up and see what I can come up with.
Here is a crude drawing that hopefully illistrates what I'm talking about.;
Good info.

post #1098 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post

Well, you might not actually be turning off your subs. Neither of my subs turn off when the switch is set to "Off". The subs essentially draw the same base power 24/7 as when the switch is set to "On". Misleading on the part of manufacturers who design that way - to have an "Off" switch that doesn't actually turn the sub off.

Also plenty of people own electronic items, but also try to be good citizens and smart about electric usage. I don't think one should exclude the other. If you research the subject, good progress has been made in terms of standby power usage due to public pressure and standards implementation, but clearly some subwoofer manufactures have a ways to go.
What kind of subs do you have that they do not turn off in the off position? I won't argue the point because that may be the case on different amp manufactures, but I know on mine when they are turned in the off position, they are off. As I said in that post, I am not worried about the electrical usage, I am more concerned of prolonging my amps for when they are needed. Anything plugged in draws power at some level, that is why you are supposed to unplug things that are not being used. I have made attempts to save electric by putting lights on timers, I have also converted all my lights to LED's, unplugged items not in use and have done other things in other areas to help as well. But when it comes to your H/T and electronics, they use power on and off and if people are worried about that, then maybe they need to find another hobby or unplug everything when not in use, just saying.

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #1099 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 AM

Liked: 13
My home theater can be idle for 5-6 days at a time. I just have everything running into a nice surge suppressor and flip it all off with one switch and back to standby the same way. The only problem I have is with the biggest electrical suction device, my Dish receiver, starting it up can take over 5 minutes, the guide can take even a few more minutes it seems to be that some of my programming goes away occasionally have to call if / when I need it back, . My daily watching is via another receiver that stays on.
Almost all electronics seem to have gotten worse as everything is in standby for the remote wake up or running clocks or updater or schedules of some kind off is relative and usually a hard switch can make it happen. Sorry not sub related but I do appreciate the Klipsch sub kill-a-watt report, thank you very much for the info and 15 watts in standby seems surprisingly high to me.

post #1100 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A DVR uses much more power than anything else in Standby.

post #1101 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
When I originally set up my sub I had set it to always on. That is how the instructions on my AVR told me to set it up (Sony STR-DN1010). A couple of nights ago I switched it to go into standby. Last night when I got home from work it was in standby. I turned on my AVR, which was also in standby, and it was set to my Dish Network receiver, which was also in standby. My sub stayed in standby mode until my Dish receiver came out of standby. My AVR, without any sound input, did not produce enough noise to cause the sub to come out of standby.
post #1102 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhopper View Post

When I originally set up my sub I had set it to always on. That is how the instructions on my AVR told me to set it up (Sony STR-DN1010). A couple of nights ago I switched it to go into standby. Last night when I got home from work it was in standby. I turned on my AVR, which was also in standby, and it was set to my Dish Network receiver, which was also in standby. My sub stayed in standby mode until my Dish receiver came out of standby. My AVR, without any sound input, did not produce enough noise to cause the sub to come out of standby.

That is pretty common. My SVS sub doesn't come out of standby even with sound playing when it is at an extremely low volume (i.e. -40db).

Energy RC-70s (2) | Energy RC-LCR | Energy CB-5s (4) | SVS PB-2000 | Pioneer VSX-1020K | Samsung UN65F8000 | PS3 | PS4 | Apple TV (2nd gen) | DirecTV HR34 HMC | Harmony Ultimate
post #1103 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 796
15W is on the high side, but not sure it will encourage me to turn the Klipsch off or not on a daily basis; I do use it daily. I know that some Onkyo AVRs were reported at 45W in standby (with the option for pass thru I believe; so you can use the HDMI but "save" the use of the avr and just use your tv speakers rolleyes.gif ). I'm not eco-proper I'm sure, but then I don't have an air conditioner and one of my two furnace thermostats is set for 62 usually (the other generally is off unless it's really cold), and only during waking hours when I'm home, so don't feel too bad about it smile.gif.

post #1104 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post

That is pretty common. My SVS sub doesn't come out of standby even with sound playing when it is at an extremely low volume (i.e. -40db).

In another thread, someone had reported that Klipsch customer service told them that a very low level "noise" would keep the rw-12d from going into standby, and had recommended using a Y-adapter to split the LFE out to use both the R&L input into the sub. I am not using a Y-adapter, just have the LFE out going into the L input on the sub.
post #1105 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 12:46 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhopper View Post

In another thread, someone had reported that Klipsch customer service told them that a very low level "noise" would keep the rw-12d from going into standby, and had recommended using a Y-adapter to split the LFE out to use both the R&L input into the sub. I am not using a Y-adapter, just have the LFE out going into the L input on the sub.

I have been thinking about trying this but have seen contrary info. Has anyone here tried it and did it work?
post #1106 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 252

I would think that would just ADD to the signal.

I would start with a better RCA cable, or just trying to reroute it away from other sources of interference.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #1107 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:

I would think that would just ADD to the signal.
I would start with a better RCA cable, or just trying to reroute it away from other sources of interference.

I guess they may think that having the R port open, it leaves a places for stray "noise" to enter. You may be right that a better RCA cable may fix the "My sub won't go into stanby" issues. I am using the video (yellow) portion of a 3 RCA cable that came with my Dish receiver. The video portion is thicker than the red and white portion, so I felt it might be a little higher quality.
post #1108 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

How easy would it to be hook up an additional Klipsch RW-12d and have them in front in each corner? Would it be overkill for a room that measures 10' x 24'? Should you ever put a subwoofer in the back?
post #1109 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 01:39 PM

Liked: 14
re: Y cable/standby

If I had a Y cable I'd try it. If I heard someone say they tried it and it worked I'd run out and buy a Y.
And then there were some folks who said don't do it because it might cause problems so I was hesitant.
post #1110 of 2776 Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 PM

Liked: 801
My understanding, that's an older unit problem. If worried, give customer service a call and ask if they think doing this will cause a problem.

I had mine hooked up with a "Y" for fifteen years and then found out from Klipsch's customer service that doing so "MAY" cause a problem. Great, the horse left the barn decades ago and "NOW" they tell me that leaving the barn door open "MAY" cause a problem. eek.gif...tongue.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Subwoofers , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page