Outlaw EX and MCACC setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-02-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to dial in the Outlaw EX with a Pioneer 1019. Finally found the mic...ran full Auto then saved the speaker settings at small and xover at 80hz and did it again. MCACC had me lower the sub volume to 2 before it would run. After calibration, MCACC put the sub level at -4.5. Base was gone, at least how I liked it the past few days. I bumped up the volume on the sub itself to 4, and put the level on the receiver to 0. Am I doing this right? I've read what sounded like conflicting reports...some read turn the sub volume up on the sub, others said use the receiver to get more volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-02-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Did you check to see if it reset your main speakers to large after MCACC ran? Everything else seems right when you run through the settings MCACC set? You might just like more bass, too. Generally you use the volume adjustment on the avr, (and think it's recommended as long as it's within a +/- 5 setting from zero),, but as long as you're not setting the sub's gain towards it's max I don't think it's generally an issue (what's "2" or "4" on the scale of the sub's settings? If on a scale of 5 that's a lot different than if it's on a scale of 10...).

post #3 of 10 Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

4 out of 10 right now, or 11 o'clock to the eye. I set all speakers to small after the initial MCACC setup, boosted the sub level on the AVR back to 0, I'd like to go up another db but was waiting to hear from more informed peeps. Thanks. Just didn't want to mess anything up!
post #4 of 10 Old 12-02-2012, 06:25 PM

Liked: 15
I have a Pioneer 1120 and my Outlaw EX arrives on Wednesday, so I'll see if I have anything to add to this thread.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoDan View Post

4 out of 10 right now, or 11 o'clock to the eye. I set all speakers to small after the initial MCACC setup, boosted the sub level on the AVR back to 0, I'd like to go up another db but was waiting to hear from more informed peeps. Thanks. Just didn't want to mess anything up!

If it sounds like its distorting when you crank it up to louder levels, then back off. You can't always hear distortion but that's what damages speakers, even within rated wattage it's possible to overdrive a speaker. This is a new-to-you sub I take it, what did you have before?

post #6 of 10 Old 12-02-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, brand new. Had an Onkyo from a box setup so nothing to compare it to, first real sub. No one I know has one either and people all have the grin factor when they hear it. I understand "clipping" from car stereo speakers and distortion of sound and the damage it can cause. I thought I would dial in all the speakers the way I read and turn up the sub volume itself to the way I wanted it. Is it better to use the AVR to up my volume and leave the sub on volume 3-4 or can I just turn the sub volume knob to 5 and call it good?
post #7 of 10 Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Well on my subs right now in the last setup, I have the gain on each sub around 30% and set at 77 dB at my main listening position during Audyssey setup (2 dB higher than recommended), and my avr sets the subs (I run 3) at -.5. One thing about setting it via your avr is that you can change it easily up or down with your remote (usually, I can for a given input or material) and always have a repeatable setting number, whereas the dials on the subs often don't have click settings to do so accurately (and depending where you have placed the sub, that's sometimes not so easy either) It's always about what's pleasing to you in the end. You might be running it hot, or maybe just compensating for nulls in your room. Without measurements hard to know how your room is interacting with your sub across the frequency range; MCACC doesn't do a lot for a sub either (on your model believe just sets distance/level). Did you do a sub crawl to determine best location for your sub? Any other kind of setup?

post #8 of 10 Old 12-02-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

No sub crawl, only one location for now. I love the way it sounds from the two main listening seats in my room. I only turn the volume way up on movies since that's the best sound anyway. I love feeling the base. What are the pro's/con's for using the AVR to control the volume (of the sub) as opposed to the sub itself?I know how I want to hear the sound, just don't understand which way is better for the electronics themselves. I appreciate the help so far! No other kind of setup, just learning the way...
post #9 of 10 Old 12-02-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Go here for tons of info on subwoofers and HT setup http://www.avsforum.com/t/824554/setting-up-your-home-theater-101.

Dual Submersive HP's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New HT Room -  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I hooked up an Outlaw LFM-1 Plus to Pioneer 1021-k for a 2.1 system. Sub set to gain of 5 (12 o'clock), max output, no port plugs, EQ bypass. I set fronts to SMALL, XO at 80hz. Ran MCACC calibration - fronts were auto set at 0.0 and -0.5dB, but sub came in at -12dB.

It sounded just right, the balance between fronts and sub, smooth transition, not too much, not too little bass. But all casual listening at low nighttime levels with toddler sleeping in next room (I managed to run the calibration before bedtime)
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page