Is there deep bass in the HDTV audio spec? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got received my Hsu VTF-3 MK4. I tested with a bluray (The second Matrix) and I heard very low bass. Then I watched a series of random TV shows and didn't really hear that much bass.

I wonder wondering, are HD channels capability of handling deep bass, or is that not in the audio spec. I don't know if it was just the content that I was watching or if TV channels are just not capable of transmitting audio in the low 20hz-ish frequencies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
TV shows generally don't put much low bass onto their soundtracks because 99% of watchers listen to their shows through the internal TV speakers and wouldn't hear it anyway.
Interestingly the Weather Channel until fairly recently didn't high-pass their audio, and you could hear not only footsteps in the studio but trucks passing by outside the studio. They must have been using internal TV speakers for monitoring and didn't know the difference.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post

I got received my Hsu VTF-3 MK4. I tested with a bluray (The second Matrix) and I heard very low bass. Then I watched a series of random TV shows and didn't really hear that much bass.
I wonder wondering, are HD channels capability of handling deep bass, or is that not in the audio spec. I don't know if it was just the content that I was watching or if TV channels are just not capable of transmitting audio in the low 20hz-ish frequencies.
If you have your speakers set to "Large" and you're watching "stereo" content, nothing will be sent to the subwoofer.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

If you have your speakers set to "Large" and you're watching "stereo" content, nothing will be sent to the subwoofer.

My speakers are set to small. Many of the shows that I watch make my Denon receiver say PL II C, or Dolby D, so I assume they are full range 5.1 tracks.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

TV shows generally don't put much low bass onto their soundtracks because 99% of watchers listen to their shows through the internal TV speakers and wouldn't hear it anyway.
Interestingly the Weather Channel until fairly recently didn't high-pass their audio, and you could hear not only footsteps in the studio but trucks passing by outside the studio. They must have been using internal TV speakers for monitoring and didn't know the difference.

That's pretty funny.

What about movie-like TV shows, like 24 or something like that?

What about movies on the HBO HD channel?

What about the same movie on a non-premium channel, like TBS or TNT?
post #6 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
AFAIK, broadcast HDTV uses plain old dolby digital. The one that people could hear all the subbass on Master and Commander DVD, but that had been rolled off on the BluRay. Bass is much easier to encode, afaik, since while you need roughtly 44,000 bits per second to cleanly record 20,000 hertz, to record 20 Hz, you'd need 40 only bits per second (no need for extra bandwidth since you're not brickwalling at that frequency). Whatever bass is in the recording ought to get through the dolby encoding process just fine unless somebody intentionally cuts it off.

I know that frequent participant FilmMixer mixed one or more episodes of the HBO miniseries Pacific. He used the same multimillion dollar mixing stage (great to have a job with cool toys) as he uses for major motion picture releases. I'd be surprised it HBO or anybody else took extra time and cash to change the sound on a movie they broadcast . . . but I've been wrong before.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:

That's pretty funny.

Is 24 on any more? I get good bass when watching it on Netflix wink.gif

post #8 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Quote:

That's pretty funny.
Every network has the ability to high pass the content wherever they choose to, so you may or may not get the same audio bandwidth as contained on the original source. They can compress it too, so there won't be as much dynamic range, and a lot of those dynamics lie in the LFE content.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page