Help setting multiple (mixed) subwoofers... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NOTE: Sorry for the long read, but I need to cover all possible aspects and of course give you all the necessary information so you can help as there are many variables to consider. I have some friends that I want to get involved in this hobby and I wanted to consult first. I'm hosting a "get together" at my apartment with the purpose of showing them how great is to have a properly calibrated HT. Most of these guys spend their time at bars and hanging out too much. I'm trying to show them other ways to have fun and at the same time how to spend some Q-time with the rest of their family members and of course, for my personal use.

Now, to the subject:

As I have been advancing in my home theater project, I also have been encountering some obstacles on the way. There is a lot of threads about my situation but I haven't found one with the necessary information. Those threads have been abandoned without offering a final solution. With hope, I expect to finally create a complete thread that offers what many (like me) have been looking for.

I just moved to an apartment which has a 10' wide X 11' long X 9' height room. As my main interest is home theater, I'm looking for good frequency expansion - you know what I'm talking about - this so called chest impact & punch you get on movies. And as my current one doesn't go much below 38Hz, I'm looking for one that cover the gap. My sub is an old 12" MTX (Front Firing) with a FR of 38Hz-150Hz. I want to go dual, so I have to buy a different sub (I know this isn't ideal but, budget only allows this for the moment). I was considering the Hsu VTF-2 MK4 & the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX. Hsu was charging me almost $400 just for shipping. So, obviously that wasn't going to happen. A friend of mine who happens to work at an A/V store near my apartment new I was looking for a sub. This store is going out of business, so he managed to get me an Energy S10.3 Subwoofer for just $50. Yes, $50!!!. That price was too weird for me and I asked him to play with it for a few days just to see if there was something wrong with it. He didn't find anything wrong about it, so I asked him to bring it home.

So, now I will encounter a puzzle in order to make it work with my MTX. So, I need to know what is the best way to calibrate them and getting both subs to work well together using my receiver. My receiver is a Denon AVR2312ci which is a 7.2 and has MultiEQ XT. My main questions are about sub placement and calibration/setup. (I have not been able to find a thread with enough information to solve my puzzle)

1) I heard that Audyssey demands that both subs are supposed to be placed the same distance from the main listening position which in my case is almost impossible. I've read that one of the very few options is by placing the subs between the main speakers. I also about placing the best and most powerful sub on the middle at the front wall and the weaker one near my listening position - Why is this & what to do in this situation? (If there is a way to solve this)

2) I understand (maybe I'm wrong) that going with separate outputs might allow them to be easier to calibrate when running Audyssey as it calibrates them separately and at the same time. But, if we decide to go with only one of the LFE outputs on the receiver; - Do I calibrate both subs at the same time and leave them that way OR do I calibrate one at a time and then plug them together on that same output?

3) If I need to calibrate them one at a time and then plug them together on the same output; How do I calibrate each sub separately?. Run Audyssey one time for each sub for a total of 2 times?

I know there are guidelines for multiple subwoofers but I couldn't find a procedure or guidelines on setting different subs on the same setup.
Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
Hopefuly, these questions will solve my issues and help many others like me.

Thanks a lot!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-07-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone????... My main concern is how to calibrate/set their gain in order to get the best possible blend and output volume.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-07-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 210
With your receiver, your only option is for both subs to be on the same channel. The receiver may have 2 sub outs, but they're both on the same channel.

Audyssey recommends you place all your subs equidistant from the primary listening position, but doesn't demand it. If they are different distances, you can try to play with the phase to see what setting sounds best. Setting the phase isn't exactly the same as setting the distance, but it can help when two subs are at different distances. Having a proper distance setting isn't as important for subs as it is for other speakers.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-07-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 154
+1

as far as levels go, there are two schools of thought. One matches levels between the two subs at the listening position 9using a sound level meter). That way both subs are contributing equally to hwat you hear (although how they measure may change a lot after EQ).

The second sets each sub to have the same output in a very near field measurement. I mean like an inch from the driver. This assures that both subs are actually being driven equally and one won't go into distortion sooner than the other.

I'm agnostic on this one BUT if your subs don't provide a ton of overhead would probably recommend the nearfield measurement approach to avoid distortion. If I chose that approach I'd assume (but might never know for sure) that the relative contributions at the listening position (after the room has "had its way with" the subs' output) will be pretty much close enough to equal.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies, guys. I've been in contact with Chris from Audyssey and Gene from Audioholics and they have given me great suggestions. I also bought an SPL to help me set the levels. Hopefuly I will be able to begin setting my HT this weekend. FINALLY!!! biggrin.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 12-20-2012, 04:48 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOMV View Post

Thanks for your replies, guys. I've been in contact with Chris from Audyssey and Gene from Audioholics and they have given me great suggestions. I also bought an SPL to help me set the levels. Hopefuly I will be able to begin setting my HT this weekend. FINALLY!!! biggrin.gif

And good luck with your buddies as it's a big stretch from mindless bar entertainment (which I happily enjoyed in my twenties) to passive Home Theater entertainment which I now enjoy in my sixties.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page