Is it okay to plug a 350w sub into a 4-way surge protector? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Good to know the equation. What's the old saying: Rather than give a man a fish, it is better to teach him how to fish.

That's the religious saying but the real story is, the fisherman is doing it for their own good..........................so people will leave them alone and they can get back to fishing. tongue.gif

"There, that's how you tie a fisherman's knot. Now stand way over there, I'm told it's a good place to fish." tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

How many amps would you estimate a plasma tv using 400 watts might pull?
3, give or take. The main source of power consumption is the screen, so the draw is pretty much constant, but the 400 watt rating is probably a smidge high.
Amps are a different story, as a 500 watt amp that's only 50% efficient would draw 1000 watts at full power. But amps are seldom run at full power or anything close to it. At average listening levels they usually coast along at 10 to 20 watts.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #33 of 37 Old 12-05-2012, 05:42 AM

Oh, goody, the last thing I need to do is, one-by-one, then combined, measure the mains and the center channel. The subs are enough of a challenge to deal with.

..................................rolleyes.gif

"And what do you do for relaxation?"

"Drive myself crazy with Home Theater sound."

..................tongue.gif
post #34 of 37 Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

How did this diverge into ground loops?
Because one of the main reasons for them is plugging into different outlets, and that's very often the case when powered subs are remotely located from the rest of the electronics. As to being an 'annoyance', tell that to someone who can't get rid of the 60Hz noise that they create.

Oops, sorry, fly-by posting and did not make the connection. I was addressing the "risk of damage" issue he raised, not the level of frustration entailed trying to troubleshoot a ground loop (something I have done many, many times; the annoyance at home is nothing compared to the frustration of spending hours setting up for a live performance and then dealing with a ground loop 1/2 hour before performance! Or during, when the guitar player suddenly decides to move over and switch from pluggin in "here" to "over there" to be closer to the lead singer...)

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #35 of 37 Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Or during, when the guitar player suddenly decides to move over and switch from pluggin in "here" to "over there" to be closer to the lead singer...)

eek.gif

How thoughtful.

(Sound engineer: face plant.)

LOL
post #36 of 37 Old 10-09-2013, 04:46 PM

Liked: 10
I just installed whole house surge...and 2 of the 3 electricians giving me estimates still recommended using outlet protectors too.

I have a subwoofer (400W RMS, 800W peak), amplifier 945W (135W*7), a wireless router, a DVR, a PS3 250W, and a CD player.....all 6 devices that I am planning to plug into a Monster Cable MP HT 850 Home Theatre PowerCenter (2590 joule rating with 1,875W limit).
post #37 of 37 Old 10-09-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I think a lot of people plug all or most of their gear to run off one circuit. You are never using all the max power of the gear's spec. I run 2 amp(250 watts), TV, cable box, BDP, avr, SUB amp all off a 15 amp circuit with no problem. The highest I have eve seen the power console/conditioner go was a 960 watts and amp never past 7. I spin off some of the other gear to a second circuit. A 15 amp circuit is capable of 120 volt, around 1800 watts. Unless you have gear that calls for a 20 amp circuit, you should be fine.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page