Old 12-06-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locoelectrician View Post

Interesting, looks like the behringer will be reduced to "pretty blinking light" duty.
You can use it as a "glorified set of tone controls" just like they show on their website:

biggrin.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
FYI, by comparison to the "Ultragraph pro FBQ-3102", the Anti-Mode, 8033S II, has 32 filters between 5-250Hz vs the Behringer which has twelve sliders between 20 - 250Hz.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I think it's time to try some room placement changes as well. My son and I were experimenting a little tonight and noticed that at lower levels were perfect, however the closer to 0db we get and even more so when we go +, the bass drops off pretty bad (compared to when we were running all 15s). However, if we stand in certain parts of the room the sound gets drastically better. At high volume, the 15s alone seemed to "sound" better although you lose the "feel" the 18s provide. What is the general thoughts of corner loading (my main sub experience was with car audio in the early 90s)? I've read many sub placement guides but wondered, knowing what I have, if anyone had any good best guesses as to where to start? As it stands, all 4 are symetrical, and facing the listening position.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I think it's time to try some room placement changes as well. My son and I were experimenting a little tonight and noticed that at lower levels were perfect, however the closer to 0db we get and even more so when we go +, the bass drops off pretty bad (compared to when we were running all 15s). However, if we stand in certain parts of the room the sound gets drastically better. At high volume, the 15s alone seemed to "sound" better although you lose the "feel" the 18s provide. What is the general thoughts of corner loading (my main sub experience was with car audio in the early 90s)? I've read many sub placement guides but wondered, knowing what I have, if anyone had any good best guesses as to where to start? As it stands, all 4 are symetrical, and facing the listening position.

A few posts ago, I listed 3 measurement systems. Measurements are the *only* tools you can use to optimize a multi-subwoofer system. Anyone who tries to predict your response or to suggest optimal subwoofer locations is, at best, guessing. Got yourself some measurement gear and learn how to use it. That is the *only* viable answer.

Short of that, you can only depend on automated Room Correction systems which might work very well... or... maybe not. Myself, I use Audyssey XT32, but I always check the results afterwards with measurements. I prefer to "Trust, but verify." Thank you Ronald Reagan!

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Old 12-06-2012, 07:02 PM

I'm going tag out and let better qualified give their opinion. The best I can do is encourage adding an EQ box like an Anti-Mode, putting together a room analyzer package and doing the sub crawl on the floor to find the best placement locations. Other than that it's time for room treatments as it sounds like your bass is being killed by the acoustics (geometry) of the room.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

A few posts ago, I listed 3 measurement systems. Measurements are the *only* tools you can use to optimize a multi-subwoofer system. Anyone who tries to predict your response or to suggest optimal subwoofer locations is, at best, guessing. Got yourself some measurement gear and learn how to use it. That is the *only* viable answer.
Short of that, you can only depend on automated Room Correction systems which might work very well... or... maybe not. Myself, I use Audyssey XT32, but I always check the results afterwards with measurements. I prefer to "Trust, but verify." Thank you Ronald Reagan!
Craig

I saw those and appreciate it, but funds have run low this close to Christmas. Is there any way to use the audyssey mic plugged into my laptop with some decent freeware or inexpensive software?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I saw those and appreciate it, but funds have run low this close to Christmas. Is there any way to use the audyssey mic plugged into my laptop with some decent freeware or inexpensive software?
The Audyssey mics are batch calibrated with a generic calibration file that is proprietary to Audyssey and pre-loaded in the Audyssey software. Without the calibration file, the mic is pretty useless for measurements using any other system. I suppose you could send it out to one of the microphone calibration companies. They could generate a cal file for it which you could load into some other measurement system, but that seems like overkill for a cheap, $3 mic.

OmniMic and XTZ come with a pre-calibrated mic, and the associated calibration file is pre-loaded into their software. That is a big part of what makes them "Plug 'N Play". REW has a method to load a calibration file for any mic, assuming the calibration file is known and available. However, the steepest part of the learning curve for REW is getting the appropriate cal file, figuring out how to load the cal file into the program and verifying it's performance.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 PM

This was the best deal I found on a calibrated microphone.

When you receive the microphone, attached is a small serial number. The buyer logs onto their Dayton's website, enters the microphone's serial number and you download and save the calibrations figures for entry when calibrating your EQ program.

As to learning REW, that's a whole nuther story.

-
Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:

I've read many sub placement guides but wondered, knowing what I have, if anyone had any good best guesses as to where to start? As it stands, all 4 are symetrical, and facing the listening position.
At least now you know how not to place them. Don't feel bad, probably the most common error when placing subs is to do it as you did. But low frequency sound waves and visual symmetry don't mix. For starters I'd put two in the front corners, aimed at the corners, the other two on each side wall, halfway back in the room, also aimed at the walls, from six to twelve inches away. Which will work better up front versus on the sidewalls is a crapshoot not knowing the frequency response of either.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

You can use it as a "glorified set of tone controls" just like they show on their website:

biggrin.gif
Craig

I love that pic. I'm gonna get me a graphic EQ and instead of the smiley face curve, I'm gonna have the "McKayla is not impressed" face curve.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

I'm almost too embarrassed to post this, but I may be deserving of the idiot of the year award. We started moving subs around tonight and trying different things when I noticed one of the 18s was hooked up backwards. I can't believe it sounded as good as it did with 1 of the 4 subs 180 out of phase. Explains some of the crazy holes I had as well as how the sound got worse as the volume went up. I'm planning on ordering a mic and taking a crash course in REW. Thank you all for all the help and advice.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

Yes, I just use my AVR's mic with TrueRTA software.

Tags
Audyssey