$1,300 to spend on a subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Ok, so I just got word on my bonus from work and am allocating $1,300 of it towards upgrading my puny 8" Boston Acoustic sub from my old MCS100 HTIB system.

Right now I have my eye on the SVS PC-12 plus but was wondering if there are any other options I should be looking at within this price range. I have already looked in the used market in my area and I do not see anything tantalizing so I plan on going the new route. I know that other in this price range would the likes of the HSU VTF-15H, Rythmik FV15, Epik Empire (although they seem to be sold out and I know of their amp problems), and the CHT VS-18.1 w/ SA1000 amp (although I really don't want to deal with a stand alone amp).

My question is for anyone who may have heard any or all of these to better guide me in the direction of the sub that will get me the most for my money.

Right now I am leaning towards the SVS because I heard they have great customer service to go along with a great product...for some reason I also love the look of their cylinder subs.

The room I am in right now is approx. 12x14 with 8 foot ceilings so I know the subs I am looking at may be a bit overkill, but I am really trying to future proof myself as much as possible so I figure I would go bigger now and save from upgrading once I get into a bigger room.

Also, I am not looking for the the sub that plays the lowest loudest., I am more looking for a nice all around sub that provides a good amount of that mid bass slam that everyone talks about. The closest I have had to a real sub was my BIC VK-12 that I sold to a buddy when I started upgrading so I am sure anything I plan on getting now will be way above anything I have ever experienced before.

I have done so much reading on this and other sites that I think I and overwhelmed at the moment and want to make sure I am leaving any contenders out. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My short list for $1300

1) http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xv30 $1399

2) http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html $1000

3) http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html $1274

4) Obviously, the SVS Plus

Good Luck
post #3 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDeez View Post

My short list for $1300
1) http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xv30 $1399
2) http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html $1000
3) http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html $1274
4) Obviously, the SVS Plus
Good Luck

I knew I was forgetting one with the Power sound Audio sub. The only thing with that sub is I cannot find much about it on the net and even though it is probably a good sub I have a hard time buying something that does not seem to have many reviews out about it.
post #4 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 698
that's because it was just released yesterday smile.gif

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #5 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The XV30 has been out for a short while. However the sealed version, the XS30, was released over this past weekend. As soon as I can get my svs pc13 sold locally, I'm picking up dual XS30's. Might start with just one, which is right below the OP's budget.
post #6 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer View Post

The XV30 has been out for a short while. However the sealed version, the XS30, was released over this past weekend. As soon as I can get my svs pc13 sold locally, I'm picking up dual XS30's. Might start with just one, which is right below the OP's budget.

your correct I misread the model smile.gif

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #7 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Ok, so I just got word on my bonus from work and am allocating $1,300 of it towards upgrading my puny 8" Boston Acoustic sub from my old MCS100 HTIB system.
. . .
The room I am in right now is approx. 12x14 with 8 foot ceilings so I know the subs I am looking at may be a bit overkill, but I am really trying to future proof myself as much as possible so I figure I would go bigger now and save from upgrading once I get into a bigger room.

Also, I am not looking for the the sub that plays the lowest loudest., I am more looking for a nice all around sub that provides a good amount of that mid bass slam that everyone talks about.
The room is ~1,344 cu.ft. Even if you were to double the size of the room, a single one of any of these subs for under $1,300 (shipped) should provide plenty of performance:
- PSA XV15 ($799, shipped)
- HSU VTF-15H ($879 + shipping)
- Rythmik FV15 ($1,124 + shipping)

If you can push your budget a bit over $1,300, I'd add these two:
- SVS PB12-Plus ($1,399, shipped)
- Rythmik FV15HP ($1,274 + shipping)
post #8 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

The room is ~1,344 cu.ft. Even if you were to double the size of the room, a single one of any of these subs for under $1,300 (shipped) should provide plenty of performance:
- PSA XV15 ($799, shipped)
- HSU VTF-15H ($879 + shipping)
- Rythmik FV15 ($1,124 + shipping)
If you can push your budget a bit over $1,300, I'd add these two:
- SVS PB12-Plus ($1,399, shipped)
- Rythmik FV15HP ($1,274 + shipping)

TBH I was looking at the PB12-plus but figured I could save a couple hundred by going with the cylinder plus in my smaller room even though I have a the space for a box I figured the smaller footprint may be better for me.
post #9 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Are you going to be able to ear anything except bass with those little htib speakers and a $1300 sub? Sounds like an $800 sub would be just fine and you could spend $500 on a better l/c/r combo.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #10 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am only using those satellites for surrounds and heights at this point. My front sound stage is comprised of three eD[c]12.
post #11 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For those interested, here is a crappy pic of the front of my room. Since this pic I have removed the table in the front right of the pic and that is where I plan to put my sub.

post #12 of 41 Old 12-04-2012, 02:24 PM

Liked: 11
Rythimk FV15hp would be my vote. Brian is a subwoofer genius.
post #13 of 41 Old 12-05-2012, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
My vote goes to the PSA XS30. Of course I'm a little bias considering I just bought two of them.
post #14 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I have narrowed my choices down to either the SVS PB12-plus ($1,399 shipped) and the Rythmik FV15HP with the 550 amp (($1,318.00 shipped). Now my only issue is do I want to go with the SVS because it would be more aesthetically pleasing to my setup or go with the Rythmik and get a little more bang for the buck as far as performance is concerned.

When I talk about the aesthetics keep in mind once my media room is finished I plan on using the sub as a stand for my mains and the eD with their three ports sitting on top of the SVS with three ports would look super sexy and would put the tweeter at an optimal height (43"). I still think the Rythmik with the two ports would look really nice too, but with that being a couple inches higher would put my tweeters at about 45" which is a little higher than my ear when sitting in my chair.

My bonus check will be going into my bank account tonight and I plan on purchasing one of the two tomorrow, so I guess I will do a little more reading tonight and make a decision tomorrow.

One thing though, for anyone who has heard both subs would the bump in performance in the Rythmik be worth it. I know the SVS is little more expensive and a smaller driver, but IMO the look is really good and your are getting a nice veneer finish compared to the vinyl finish of the Rythmik.
post #15 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've had my PB12-Plus for a year and can highly recommend it...its amazing. I'm 95% home theater and have it in a 3500 cu ft. great room. I still like to pull the grille and admire the driver.....there's something about a stitched cone!
post #16 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The FV15HP competes with the Ultra, you can check the numbers on data-bass.com. I'd consider it a better buy than the PB 12 Plus.
post #17 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 PM

I just purchsed the PC12 plus and it's definately worth the $1199 price tag.
post #18 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
None of those subs would dissapoint. I'd drop the epik and cc subs. Epik seems to be a hit and miss on customer service and CC is going out of business, or selling it to family or selling half of it.....rolleyes.gif

Bond gave you the best advice though.
Your overall performance is going to blow. Your room isn't huge so you can be spend less on your sub and more of your other speakers. You'll have a much happier wih the result imho.

P.S. HSU has a nice 5.1 package. I think it's called Hybrid 3, it's a 5.1 setup with the vtf-3 mk4 sub.for a hair over $1300.00 (there are other packages as well).
I do own dual 15Hs but i'm not tied to a brand.

--edited for the p.s.
post #19 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The Rythmik FV15HP w/H550PEQ3 amp, will have comparable output to the SVS PB13 Ultra and cost $1312 shipped.
post #20 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

Bond gave you the best advice.
Your overall performance is going to blow. Your room isn't huge so you can be spend less on your sub and more of your other speakers. You'll have a much happier wih the result imho.

I think you missed what he is using for his L/C/R.  They are high sensitivity speakers.  They will keep up with his sub choices. The htib are only for his surrounds.

post #21 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey Smigro - tough question isn't it? Well, the Rythmic is a Servo based design, the SVS is not. What's the difference? Who knows. I have an older Servo based sub (Not Rythmic) and it just sounds boomy, especially compared to my SVS. In your size room, I really really doubt there will be much of a difference though between the two subs.

Room treatments and size of room are what will affect the sound of the sub. All things being equal, either sub will more than blow you out of your chair. So, if it's down to aesthetics, you've found your sub. The rest of the comments are just subjective based on what people own or are a fan of. In other words, both are fantastic subwoofers and for the price you will not do better same dollars spent on a B&M sub - in fact you'd have to pay double at least to get the same performance from a B&M store. So go with what will fit you, you'll be happy!

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #22 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1908 View Post

Quote:

Bond gave you the best advice.

I think you missed what he is using for his L/C/R.  They are high sensitivity speakers.  They will keep up with his sub choices. The htib are only for his surrounds.

You're right Bill, I did miss that he was using the eD speakers. Damn, all that typing for naught. tongue.gif I'd still drop CC and Epik off the list for the listed reasons.
post #23 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

I have a servo 18" Velo that I thought it was boomy and not very musical. I have the servo Rythmik F15 and F12 and they are definitely not boomy and are very musical. I also have a SVS PB12+ and it falls somewhere between the two, imo.

There are more than one servo system on the market and they not all the same.
post #24 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

None of those subs would dissapoint. I'd drop the epik and cc subs. Epik seems to be a hit and miss on customer service and CC is going out of business, or selling it to family or selling half of it.....rolleyes.gif
Bond gave you the best advice though.
P.S. HSU has a nice 5.1 package. I think it's called Hybrid 3, it's a 5.1 setup with the vtf-3 mk4 sub.for a hair over $1300.00 (there are other packages as well).
I do own dual 15Hs but i'm not tied to a brand.
--edited for the p.s.

I appreciate the insight on the subs and what you stated is why I am only considering the two on my list.

In regards to my surround speakers,I am pretty sure I will be ok with what I have. I was only referencing the Boston MCS system so you could get an idea of the crappy sub I have. I am running high efficiency eD cinema series 12" speakers across the front that are 97 dB efficient so I am pretty sure they will be able to keep up with whatever subs plan to get.
post #25 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right you are Bill. I have plans on getting high efficiency surrounds, but since eD has gone under not sure what brand I want to get to go with the eD's. I am thinking some CHT SHO10's but not sure yet.
post #26 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

Hey Smigro - tough question isn't it? Well, the Rythmic is a Servo based design, the SVS is not. What's the difference? Who knows. I have an older Servo based sub (Not Rythmic) and it just sounds boomy, especially compared to my SVS. In your size room, I really really doubt there will be much of a difference though between the two subs.
Room treatments and size of room are what will affect the sound of the sub. All things being equal, either sub will more than blow you out of your chair. So, if it's down to aesthetics, you've found your sub. The rest of the comments are just subjective based on what people own or are a fan of. In other words, both are fantastic subwoofers and for the price you will not do better same dollars spent on a B&M sub - in fact you'd have to pay double at least to get the same performance from a B&M store. So go with what will fit you, you'll be happy!

This is kind of what I was thinking Krunch, either way I will be happy. I guess it is up to whether I can control my OCD from steering away from a more bang for the buck sub instead of going with the most aesthetically pleasing sub.

Well I do not think I can read anymore on these subs as I have pretty much read and re-read everything on the net about them. Guess I will just have to sleep on it and see where my mind leads me tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone wo gave me insight on this very tough choice for me. I guess tomorrow you will see me n either the SVS or Rythmik threads talking my new purchase.
post #27 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan View Post

I have a servo 18" Velo that I thought it was boomy and not very musical. I have the servo Rythmik F15 and F12 and they are definitely not boomy and are very musical. I also have a SVS PB12+ and it falls somewhere between the two, imo.
There are more than one servo system on the market and they not all the same.

Thanks again for all the insight you have given me between this and IM's Bear.
post #28 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

Quote:

Right you are Bill. I have plans on getting high efficiency surrounds, but since eD has gone under not sure what brand I want to get to go with the eD's. I am thinking some CHT SHO10's but not sure yet.

I have had them twice (sho-10) and I think they will exceed your expectations. You can't beat them for the price and I think their pretty good for music too. I wouldn't hesitate grabbing some while you still can just incase things don't work out over there.

post #29 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Don't know how you feel about used equipment but have you checked the classifieds on this site? Maybe someone is in your area selling a decent sub or two.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #30 of 41 Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Don't know how you feel about used equipment but have you checked the classifieds on this site? Maybe someone is in your area selling a decent sub or two.

I check here, on craigslist and audiogon every day but the stuff locally is really not what I am looking for.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page