Just want to say thank you! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been a member of this forum for many years, and spend most of my time lurking. Sometimes, I feel like many of you don't realize how valuable your knowledge, opinions, and suggestions are. This forum in particular is where I first learned about the possibilities that exist in the realm of subwoofers. Until coming here, I had never even considered a DIY solution.

I had a problem in my living room, with nulls around 40Hz and 80Hz, right at my primary listening position. I have a THT, which shakes the foundations at most points in the room, but it couldn't touch me where I spent most of my time. I added a Table Tuba to the back of the room, hoping that would smooth out the response and help me, and it did, but only up to a point.

I knew what my components were capable of, and I was really disappointed in my results. I looked at treating the room, building DIY bass traps, and all manner of everything else. I spent a day perusing threads on here, looking for tips, construction techniques, and materials suggestions, before I would start building something.

I stumbled across a thread, I don't remember who it was, I don't remember how long ago it was from. It described the characteristics of sound in a rectangular space (which is pretty close to what I'm working with), and it nailed my experience almost to the letter. The poster suggested adding a 2nd subwoofer at the midway point in the room.

I couldn't believe it could be so simple. I moved my TT (given the size, there aren't many places I can put my THT), placed it almost exactly at the midpoint in the room, and suddenly, the sound I had lost was magically returned to me.

It's not perfect, but it's within 2db of where it should be, and that's a FAR better result than I was ever getting before.

I still plan to build some room treatments, but I no longer have the sense of urgency, since acting upon this simple, yet effective tip.

I have no friends that are into this hobby to the extent that I am. I have no local experts or anyone that I can really trust. So thank you, to all of you that share your collected wisdom. At this time of year, it's normal to be thankful for all we have, and rest assured I am certainly thankful for all the people here who have provided me so much information (and entertainment) over the years.

Chimpuat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Are we related?

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page