Dual subwoofer setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I need some help adding a second subwoofer.

I have about a 13x16 room with a PB13 Ultra in the right front corner.

I have the itch to add a second subwoofer, which would go in the back left corner of the room.

My question is:

If I add a sealed subwoofer, would I get the best of both worlds, or the best of neither?

My plan is to add either a PB12-plus or an SB13 to my current setup. Second PB13 may be ideal but a little more than I want to spend.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTide View Post

I need some help adding a second subwoofer.
I have about a 13x16 room with a PB13 Ultra in the right front corner.
I have the itch to add a second subwoofer, which would go in the back left corner of the room.
My question is:
If I add a sealed subwoofer, would I get the best of both worlds, or the best of neither?
My plan is to add either a PB12-plus or an SB13 to my current setup. Second PB13 may be ideal but a little more than I want to spend.
Thanks for any input.
If you use a dissimilar sub with your PB13 Ultra, how will you account for the maximum output differences? The LF roll-off differences? The different transient responses of a ported sub vs. a sealed sub? How will you integrate and optimize the subs? Do you have any measurement equipment?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #3 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Plenty of people have been able to successfully blend ported and sealed subs, but it generally takes a lot of work. As Craig John notes above, there are many factors that should be weighed when deciding what to do, and how to get it done properly. In some (many?) cases, this work isn't done, and the resulting system is less than the sum of its parts. As such, I generally tend to discourage people from blending dissimilar products if they are not well versed in the process, or lack a desire to measure + tinker + measure +adjust + measure +move items + measure + adjust again + measure +move items again + measure +...........+ measure, and enjoy the process while they are doing it.

In your case, I'd look at the PC13 for a similar price ($1699) of the SB13U, and check their outlet specials to see if one comes up there for about the same price as the SB13. Shy of that, the ported Plus has a similar roll-off, tuning, and close output levels, so that would be plan B.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #4 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Plenty of people have been able to successfully blend ported and sealed subs, but it generally take a lot of work. As Craig John notes above, there are many factors that should be weighed when deciding what to do, and how to get it done properly. In some (many?) cases, this work isn't done, and the resulting system is less than the sum of its parts. As such, I generally tend to discourage people from blending dissimilar products if they are not well versed in the process, or lack a desire to measure + tinker + measure +adjust + measure +move items + measure + adjust again + measure +move items again + measure +...........+ measure, and enjoy the process while they are doing it.
In your case, I'd look at the PC13 for a similar price ($1699) of the SB13U, and check their outlet specials to see if one comes up there for about the same price as the SB13. Shy of that, the ported Plus has a similar roll-off, tuning, and close output levels, so that would be plan B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

If you use a dissimilar sub with your PB13 Ultra, how will you account for the maximum output differences? The LF roll-off differences? The different transient responses of a ported sub vs. a sealed sub? How will you integrate and optimize the subs? Do you have any measurement equipment?
Craig

Ok I'm getting the picture that it would be difficult to blend in a sealed sub.

In that case, would the SVS PB12-plus be a suitable mate for the PB13 ultra? My PB13 uses the older BASH amp design.

The only equipment I would be using is Audyssey on the Denon 4520 to integrate the subs. I'm not sure how tolerant this system is for different sub types, sizes, etc.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTide View Post

Ok I'm getting the picture that it would be difficult to blend in a sealed sub.
In that case, would the SVS PB12-plus be a suitable mate for the PB13 ultra? My PB13 uses the older BASH amp design.
The only equipment I would be using is Audyssey on the Denon 4520 to integrate the subs. I'm not sure how tolerant this system is for different sub types, sizes, etc.

While another Ultra would be ideal, a DSP Plus would work well. The new DSP Sledge Plus's have almost the same amount of output of the BASH Ultra's, and again, a very similar roll off and tuning. Your 4520 has very good on-board eq capabilities, with a normal amount of care regarding setup, you should be able to get the two to play very well together.

Some suggestions, be sure to use the same tuning on both subs (20hz, 16hz, or sealed), and you could try placing the Plus in whichever location is physically closer to help make up for some of the peak output differences.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page