New home theater to fill... HSU or? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The room dimensions are 15'x17' with a ceiling that goes from 10' to about 14' recessed. Guesstimating puts that at 3000 cu. ft. (15*17*12) to fill with delicious bass.

Let's call the budget around $700, I could squeeze money out of something else if need be, but the reverse is true also, any money saved is money for other components. I have some experience with HSU in the form of the STF-2 and while a good product, it just doesn't put out the bass I want in a room smaller than mine - granted it is a more of a multi-purpose room with a theater thrown in and that may have something to do with it. This isn't the case for my theater room, and I want a good experience everytime. I was looking at the VTF-3, or possibly dropping to the VTF-2 if you guys think that would suffice. The other option I considered was going dual subs, but I would need some advice on that.

Thanks in advance, look forward to suggestions and will post back as I continue to do research if I come across anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i have a 16X30 great room with 8.5 ft ceilings and was using one outlaw lfm-ex and it filled the room but now I have two of them and it is even better
Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but after doing weeks and weeks of research on about 7 different subs I bought some subs from Power Sound Audio. You should take a look, you can get a XV15b stock for $719.00. That's a hell of a lot of sub for only $719.
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/outlet-center/products/xv15b
Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but after doing weeks and weeks of research on about 7 different subs I bought some subs from Power Sound Audio. You should take a look, you can get a XV15b stock for $719.00. That's a hell of a lot of sub for only $719.
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/outlet-center/products/xv15b

What is your setup? Room size? Were you as pleased with them as you hoped?

edit: sold out at the moment, measurements look pretty nice though. Will look into them more, thanks for the rec!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1222
Sockfoot, my room is basically 14x20x8 with a 6ft opening into a 10x10 area. I haven't received my subs yet, I just ordered dual XS30s and they won't be shipping till around the 14th. I was going to go with dual XS15s and then I changed my mind to dual XV15s, and then Tom at PSA told me to hold off and I'm glad I did. I had a budget of $2500 for my upgrade though. So that's why I looked at about 7-8 different subs and set ups. The cheapest option would have been dual XS15s and the high end of my budget would have been a single JTR Captivator S1.

I'll let you know what I think once I have the subs in my theater but about best that's 2-3 weeks away.

Tom was one of the main guys over at SVS, so he knows his stuff and has TOP notch customer service. I'm sure there's a long list of guys that would agree with that. I would honestly have to say in the end dealing with Tom was a bigger reason I ended up going with the XS30s. Though I'm sure some of the other subs I looked at would have had good customer service too.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 649
I think a VTF2 will be able to take care of that room but a VTF3 will really do the trick. The VTF3 is a very big step up from a STF2, believe me I upgraded from a STF2 to a VTF3. The VTF3 would kill in there.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I think a VTF2 will be able to take care of that room but a VTF3 will really do the trick. The VTF3 is a very big step up from a STF2, believe me I upgraded from a STF2 to a VTF3. The VTF3 would kill in there.
That is great to hear, and with the Holiday sale dropping $50 off the VTF3 right now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Sockfoot, my room is basically 14x20x8 with a 6ft opening into a 10x10 area. I haven't received my subs yet, I just ordered dual XS30s and they won't be shipping till around the 14th. I was going to go with dual XS15s and then I changed my mind to dual XV15s, and then Tom at PSA told me to hold off and I'm glad I did. I had a budget of $2500 for my upgrade though. So that's why I looked at about 7-8 different subs and set ups. The cheapest option would have been dual XS15s and the high end of my budget would have been a single JTR Captivator S1.
I'll let you know what I think once I have the subs in my theater but about best that's 2-3 weeks away.
Tom was one of the main guys over at SVS, so he knows his stuff and has TOP notch customer service. I'm sure there's a long list of guys that would agree with that. I would honestly have to say in the end dealing with Tom was a bigger reason I ended up going with the XS30s. Though I'm sure some of the other subs I looked at would have had good customer service too.
Thanks for the second reply! I am a couple months away from installation, but want to get started on the research now and possibly even hit a sale (like the VTF3). I should have no problem waiting to hear what you have to say about them, keep me in mind!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Bump during the day for all you non night owls!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm the absolute king of night owls.....but it's only 5:20 PM PCT.

ShadyJ is right on the VTF-3/4 is terrific, $750 shiped.

Also the Power Sound Audio for $750 (XS-15) has some good reviews from users.
I have the XV-15, which is ported, so it digs down a little deeper.

Can't go wrong with either. But the HSU is ported (two 4" ports on the back),
Power Sound is sealed, but 15" driver, 500w Bash amp.....so it's a tough
choice.

Having heard and owned the VTF-3/3, I know it will knock your socks off. biggrin.gif
(In your listening area of course).

vardo
Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Socks knocked off is what I am going for here.

I don't mind buying things in stages, but I don't want to have to re-buy a particular piece. Do it right the first time! Appreciate the rec's so far, anyone else have anything else to throw in?
Old 12-07-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Socks knocked off calls for something special. I would consider the HSU VTF-15H, there are many owners on this forum. You don't want to get the urge to upgrade...

I also like the Power Sound XV-15. Sealed doesn't give you quite the slam (with regard to the XS-15 mentioned by my buddy Vardo). smile.gif
Old 12-07-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Socks knocked off calls for something special. I would consider the HSU VTF-15H, there are many owners on this forum. You don't want to get the urge to upgrade...
I also like the Power Sound XV-15. Sealed doesn't give you quite the slam (with regard to the XS-15 mentioned by my buddy Vardo). smile.gif

I did take a gander at the VTF-15H ... man those response charts are hot. I suppose I can keep it in mind, maybe adjust in the budget elsewhere.. but that is about a $220 increase ($650 vs $870 - plus shipping, obviously) for the piece.

Any nods to a couple cheaper subs instead of one big dog?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockfoot View Post

I did take a gander at the VTF-15H ... man those response charts are hot. I suppose I can keep it in mind, maybe adjust in the budget elsewhere.. but that is about a $220 increase ($650 vs $870 - plus shipping, obviously) for the piece.
Any nods to a couple cheaper subs instead of one big dog?

For sheer slam, no. However, if you have a wide seating area, multiple subs do a better job of hitting them all evenly. But for a single listening position, a single powerful sub is the way to go for maximum SPL.