post #1 of 13 Old 12-05-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Here's my situation:

I have a Yamaha RX-2700 receiver.

A friend gave me a couple problem subs. One was a Velodyne HGS10BG. Amp worked for a couple minutes after being turned on, then began crackling and stayed crackling. I replaced the caps but it didn't help and now the amp is basically dead.

The other is a significantly bigger Velodyne but I don't see model # anywhere on it. Amp is also dead. This one also now has a ripped cone (actually the foam outer ring).

Since neither have a working amp, what I am currently doing is running from the Sub Out of the Yamaha into an input on an old Onkyo stereo receiver, and from the regular speaker outs of that directly to the speaker of the sub (the smaller Velodyne since the big one is blown).

I saw the sale on the Epik Legend but was gutted when they sold out just a couple hours before I went to place my order.

So my question is, what should I do? How much difference would I see from my current jury-rigged setup to something like the Polk PSW505, currently at Amazon for $189, and in which direction? How big is the difference from the Polk to the Legend, which would be something like $650 with shipping whenever it comes back in stock (as opposed to $380 at the sale price with Discover Card promotion -- yep, I'm still just sick I missed it)? I see there is also the PA-150 at $425, the HSU STF-2 at $375.

For what it's worth, the front three speakers are Canton Karat CM4s. The surrounds are just the satellites that came with my initial HTIB, and are the only remaining elements of that HTIB that weren't replaced by donations from my friend.

I'd say $400 is my limit and I'd like to keep it well under unless this is something a layman would really hear a big difference in, justifying significantly more cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
I'd say $400 is my limit and I'd like to keep it well under unless this is something a layman would really hear a big difference in, justifying significantly more cost.
If you can scrape together another $99, you should most definitely consider the SVS PB-1000 ($499, shipped).

If not, the PA-150 is a well-regarded sub.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 821
The pa150 was going for $349 yesterday. Not sure if it still is.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #4 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How much is the sound of my Velodyne compromised by being powered by a cheap stereo receiver rather than its own amp?

Would the Polk be a step up from my current jury-rigged setup, or a step down?

Would the average person notice a significant difference between the Polk and the PA-150?

How much better is the Epik Legend than the PA-150? Would the average person notice a significant difference?

I've always been a bit behind on the audio, I had only a $300 HTIB until my friend began donating his older gear to me.

P.S. I'm not sure about the $350 PA-150, that's from Acoustic Sound Design and I'm a little skeptical of them. Their policies suck -- only a 7 day return policy, and then only for credit; 4% processing fee for a cancelled order even if the item hasn't shipped yet -- and all the positive reviews on resellerratings.com sound like they're written by the same person, and each positive reviewer has only reviewed them and no other store; and the bad reviews are really bad.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

How much is the sound of my Velodyne compromised by being powered by a cheap stereo receiver rather than its own amp?
Would the Polk be a step up from my current jury-rigged setup, or a step down?
Would the average person notice a significant difference between the Polk and the PA-150?
How much better is the Epik Legend than the PA-150? Would the average person notice a significant difference?
I've always been a bit behind on the audio, I had only a $300 HTIB until my friend began donating his older gear to me.
P.S. I'm not sure about the $350 PA-150, that's from Acoustic Sound Design and I'm a little skeptical of them. Their policies suck -- only a 7 day return policy, and then only for credit; 4% processing fee for a cancelled order even if the item hasn't shipped yet -- and all the positive reviews on resellerratings.com sound like they're written by the same person, and each positive reviewer has only reviewed them and no other store; and the bad reviews are really bad.
What is the size of the room? The Polk 505 would probably be a step up. The pa150 would be a giant leap. I dont have a pa150 but quite a few people here love them. Visit the Premier Acoustics PA-150 thread. The Klipsch RW-12d is what I have and love it. It will almost certainly be on sale again at Newegg for $299 delivered before Christmas but you have to be on the ball to catch it before it sells out. If you browse the latest updates for "subwoofers, bass and transducers" you can learn a lot instead of waiting for people to reply.

post #6 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I've been doing loads of reading here, just trying to figure out what would be my best bang for buck without making me wish, a year or two from now, that I'd spent a bit more for something significantly better, while still taking into account that I don't have a $20,000 system and am not obsessed with shaking the house.

Not sure on room dimensions exactly, will measure tonight. Will be moving next year, though, and don't know if space will be bigger or smaller.

Concerned with movies and games, music is distant second.

Contenders and best prices I've found:

• Polk PSW505 @ 190
  • BiC F12 @ < 200
  • PA-120 @ 220-230
  • BiC VK-12 @ 285
  • Klipsch RW-12d @ 300 if another Newegg deal pops up
  • BiC PL-200 @ < $330, not sure on what actual price would be
  • PA-150 @ 350
post #7 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, I've been doing loads of reading here, just trying to figure out what would be my best bang for buck without making me wish, a year or two from now, that I'd spent a bit more for something significantly better, while still taking into account that I don't have a $20,000 system and am not obsessed with shaking the house.
Not sure on room dimensions exactly, will measure tonight. Will be moving next year, though, and don't know if space will be bigger or smaller.
  • Polk PSW505 @ 190
  • BiC F12 @ < 200
  • PA-120 @ 220-230
  • BiC VK-12 @ 285
  • PA-150 @ 350
Thats quite a variety and they would all probably fine dependng on room size and how picky you are. Dump the 505 though. The pa150 would probably give you the most output and would help future proof you if you have a bigger room when you move.

post #8 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I guess what I mean by "bang for the buck" is "would I notice a very appreciable (and of course positive) difference from one to the other without directly A/Bing them one after the other?"

I think it's actually more likely that I'll have a smaller room when we move.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

• Polk PSW505 @ 190
  • BiC F12 @ < 200
  • PA-120 @ 220-230
  • BiC VK-12 @ 285
  • PA-150 @ 350

To be frank, likely there isn't sub on that list that won't make you want to move up to a better sub in a year or two. Once you hear the limits of those and get used to it (so that the newness rubs off) you'll want something more capable. wink.gif
post #10 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I'm going to have to hope that isn't true wink.gif

I wasn't itching to upgrade back when the bigger Velodyne still worked, before it got ripped up. I assume any of those above with an actual working amp should outperform it?
post #11 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

I wasn't itching to upgrade back when the bigger Velodyne still worked, before it got ripped up. I assume any of those above with an actual working amp should outperform it?

I would pop into this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396482/budget-subwoofers-discussions-opinions-and-questions-thread for advise.

I will say that "a year or two" is a long way off to never say never. biggrin.gif
post #12 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think that's a very safe assumption. Just because a lot of people here like to upgrade every month doesn't mean you will. Many are audiophiles that spend a lot of time lusting after the latest and greatest. I have seen a lot of people start at $200 and get talked into spending $600. Get what is within your budget. That thread he suggested is a good idea.

post #13 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, I guess what I mean by "bang for the buck" is "would I notice a very appreciable (and of course positive) difference from one to the other without directly A/Bing them one after the other?"
I think it's actually more likely that I'll have a smaller room when we move.
Really only your experience can answer that. Have you been around enough to be able to tell? And it depends on the rest of your setup too.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page