Newbie - RW-12D +JBL L880 + RX-V663 + YPAO - Please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Got the Klipsch RW-12D recently when it was on sale. Trying to setup a 2.1 system with a Yamaha RX-V663 + 2 JBL L880 Floor standing speakers.

I hooked up the RW-12D to Sub1 Out of the receiver. Set the Lowpass = 120Hz, gain = -15DB, EQ = Flat, Phase = 0 on the sub. Ran the Auto Setup in YPAO on the yamaha receiver. Although I could hear some low "volume" test sounds from the subwoofer while the setup was run, don't see any appreciable bass out of the sub woofer when I play dvds or watch music videos/movies on FIOS.

After the YPAO had run, I noticed in the results that the front speakers were set as "Large" and Cross Over at "40Hz", SWFR phase as "Reverse".

Any tips on setting this up correctly? Or am I not going to see any major bass with my combination of receiver and speakers? Appreciate any help/guidance.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Set your speakers to small and your crossover to 80Hz. Give that a whirl.Sorry but I can't remember if your YPAO will EQ the sub. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Denon AVR-4520CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3
post #3 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Stanley is correct in the suggested settings. YPAO does not eq the sub. What volume did the 663 set the sub at? You may have to turn the sub volume up to -8 or so and run Ypao again. You want to keep playing with the sub volume until ypao sets the sub volume on the receiver near 0.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #4 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. Some additional questions.

1) When you say set cross over at 80Hz, you mean on the 663 correct? So I leave the lowpass setting on the subwoofer at 120 Hz?

2) Also I believe it set the volume levels at -3.5dB for the front speakers and +4.0 db for the sub? Does this make sense?

3)I believe I have to go to into manual setup in YPAO to set the cross over and speaker size. So after I select the speaker size and cross over, do I start YPAO with Setup = "Auto"?

Thanks,
post #5 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP JE View Post

Thanks for the response. Some additional questions.
1) When you say set cross over at 80Hz, you mean on the 663 correct? So I leave the lowpass setting on the subwoofer at 120 Hz?
2) Also I believe it set the volume levels at -3.5dB for the front speakers and +4.0 db for the sub? Does this make sense?
3)I believe I have to go to into manual setup in YPAO to set the cross over and speaker size. So after I select the speaker size and cross over, do I start YPAO with Setup = "Auto"?
Thanks,
I just looked up your speakers. Those are some damn fine speakers. Now I understand the ypao settings. How do you like them?

If you are sure that you ran ypao correctly and are still at frnts -3.5 and sub at +4 then you are done with ypao. It seems that the 663 thinks that your mains have about as much bass as the sub!
Go into speaker setup on the 663 and set your speakers to small and the crossover to 80. Set the "Music" sub crossover to 80 and use Punch. Set the "Movie" crossover to "Off" LFE Mode and use Depth. Obviously when listening to music use music and movie use movie. If you want to change the sub volume use the speaker setup menu on the receiver where it is +4.
Let me know how this works out for you. Room size and placement are also critical but this should be a definite improvement.

post #6 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response again. Because of my speakers (L880s) is it possible that I might not see a appreciable difference with the addition of this sub?

So I did another auto setup in YPAO. Once the auto setup was complete, manually changed speakers to small and set cross over on the AVR as 80Hz. Then I changed the lowpass on the sub as you suggested for music and movie. But no appreciable difference. May be I should pick some of the bass movies to test the system out.

Does it matter whether I listen in the 2 Ch Stereo, 7 Ch Stereo, Sci Fi, settings on the receiver? Do they change the bass settings?

My room is about 15x 13 opening to a eat-in kitchen are that is about 20 x 8. Media center is in one corner of the room with the sub sitting in front of the two floor standing speakers for now.

Thanks,
post #7 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 12:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP JE View Post

Thanks for the response again. Because of my speakers (L880s) is it possible that I might not see a appreciable difference with the addition of this sub?
So I did another auto setup in YPAO. Once the auto setup was complete, manually changed speakers to small and set cross over on the AVR as 80Hz. Then I changed the lowpass on the sub as you suggested for music and movie. But no appreciable difference. May be I should pick some of the bass movies to test the system out.
Does it matter whether I listen in the 2 Ch Stereo, 7 Ch Stereo, Sci Fi, settings on the receiver? Do they change the bass settings?
My room is about 15x 13 opening to a eat-in kitchen are that is about 20 x 8. Media center is in one corner of the room with the sub sitting in front of the two floor standing speakers for now.
Thanks,
You have a placement problem. I was going to mention that before but wanted to see how mch difference the proper settings would ake. I figured this because ypao set the mains low and the sub high. placement is sually the issue for some thing like that. The receiver is trying to make up for lack of bass from the sub. When you ran the ypao this time what were the volume settings? If properly placed you will definitely notice the difference. Your speakers are nice but cant go narly as low as the rw.
Those dsp modes do not change the bass settings (2 ch, 7ch, sci fi, etc).
You ned to do the sub crawl(google it). It would help a lot just by putting it in a corner for starters. Placement is critical and can be a pain but is absolutely necessary to get the best out ofyour sub.
Get it placed properly and the run the ypao again and use the settings i gave you and you will be amazed at the difference.
Sorry about the crappy typing. I am on a tablet andin a hurry.

post #8 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 12:38 AM

Thanks again for your response. That's at least good to know that I'll notice a difference with the sub hooked up properly. I'll try reading up on sub placements and crawl and see where I could place it. There aren't a whole lot of places where it could go though. Anyways appreciate your help.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp2006 View Post

Thanks again for your response. That's at least good to know that I'll notice a difference with the sub hooked up properly. I'll try reading up on sub placements and crawl and see where I could place it. There aren't a whole lot of places where it could go though. Anyways appreciate your help.
1 of the 4 corners is most likely the spot and any of them would proably be better than out towards the middle next to your mains. I would start with the most comvenient corner. Place it with the cone pointing toward the room. If you have a friend rotate it while you are sitting in "your spot" then you can decide how it sounds best. If not then sit down and listen to it for a minute and then get up and rotate it 45 degrees or so and sit back down, etc. You may find it sounds best pointed at the corner rather than the room. You can also try moving it closer and farther away from the corner. A corner is most likely so try the most convenient one first and hopefully you can get it to sound satisfactory there. It might take you a week playing around with volume (dont be afraid to turn up the sub but do it on the receiver), placement and phase but it will be worth it. IMPORTANT: After you move it to the corner the first thing you wanna do is run ypao repeatedly adjusting the volume on the sub until the receiver sets the sub volume near 0. Then plug in the 80 hz crossover and speakers to small. Then you can take your time playing around and fine tuning it.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Yamaha Rx V663 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V663 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page