Rattling in the room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 12-07-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
After months of trying to figure out what the hell was rattling in my home theater. I finally found the culprit. My HSU VTF3 MK4 was rattling the base boards next to my subwoofer! I was actually shocked that the power from this thing was shaking the base boards! If I apply a little pressure to the base boards the rattling stops. Soooo how can I get it to stop? I was thinking more nails but I routed all the speaker wires behind the base boards and I don't want to run the risk of hitting the wires. What do you guys think I can do?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 12-08-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
No tips our ideas? frown.gif

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
post #3 of 50 Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Go to Home Depot and get some wider baseboard molding.

Use wire runways: http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=wire+management

Got nuthin else

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
post #4 of 50 Old 12-08-2012, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nails can have play. Remove one or more of the nails, and stick a screw in there, tight. Otherwise I'd get a drillbit and drill slowly, then nudge any wires out of the way before fastening it.
post #5 of 50 Old 12-09-2012, 10:44 AM

Liked: 10
Not an expert on this, but Auralex GRAMMA pads cut down on room rattle. You could of course couple this with doing work on your baseboards but this would certainly help.
post #6 of 50 Old 12-09-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by spddy101 View Post

Not an expert on this, but Auralex GRAMMA pads cut down on room rattle..
I am, and they don't cut down on room rattle, as that's caused by objects, the floor included, vibrating in resonance to the sub output. They can cut down on the vibration of the floor caused by the floor resonance being transferred back to the cabinet. But so can a piece of carpet or carpet padding.
Quote:
Nails can have play. Remove one or more of the nails, and stick a screw in there, tight. Otherwise I'd get a drillbit and drill slowly, then nudge any wires out of the way before fastening it.
+1, and screws can be easily removed if need be.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 50 Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by spddy101 View Post

Not an expert on this, but Auralex GRAMMA pads cut down on room rattle.

+1 on the Gramma. It definitely quieted down the things rattling in my room.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #8 of 50 Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

+1 on the Gramma. It definitely quieted down the things rattling in my room.
What kind of floor do you have? i.e. tile over concrete, etc. Did you notice any sound improvement from the sub? Some people claim they get better low end. I have my RW12 sitting on a folded bathroom rug which is an improvement over the bare tile floor. Although a Gramma would look much nicer I am not willing to spend that much simply for appearance. If I thought I could get any significant sound benefit over just the rug then I would do it.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #9 of 50 Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

I am, and they don't cut down on room rattle, as that's caused by objects, the floor included, vibrating in resonance to the sub output. They can cut down on the vibration of the floor caused by the floor resonance being transferred back to the cabinet. But so can a piece of carpet or carpet padding.
+1, and screws can be easily removed if need be.
26 out of 29 people on Amazon say they really like theirs. Are they all looney or just dont realize that a piece of carpet works just as well? I know you have probably answered this before (probably a dozen times).

post #10 of 50 Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

26 out of 29 people on Amazon say they really like theirs. Are they all looney or just dont realize that a piece of carpet works just as well? I know you have probably answered this before (probably a dozen times).
More times than I should have. If Grammas did what they claim they'd have objective data on their site to back up those claims.They don't have that data, because it doesn't exist. I have measured the results of using various isolation techniques, and they don't jibe with Gramma's claims, nor do those claims jibe with the fundamental principles of audio. As for what honest users claim to hear, just as many honest users claim to hear differences in speaker cables, and for the same reason: Placebo Effect. If you think that something has to make a difference, it will.

post #11 of 50 Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 AM

Liked: 801
Two easy fixes. A simple wooden toothpick to wedge the baseboard or a spot of glue that's allowed to dry. If the baseboard needs to be removed, simply cutting the glue joint with a razor blade, without damage, will take care of the baseboard removal.

I think there's a case of resonance as opposed to a need to separate the sub from the floor. When I do frequency sweeps, everything from the subwoofer, to glass panes in curio cabinets to the grill on the fireplace rattle. Nothing that a few well placed toothpicks won't fix.

For isolation purposes, I'll use anything conveniently at hand, whether bubble wrap, rubber grommets or carpet pad.

-
post #12 of 50 Old 12-11-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

What kind of floor do you have? i.e. tile over concrete, etc. Did you notice any sound improvement from the sub? Some people claim they get better low end. I have my RW12 sitting on a folded bathroom rug which is an improvement over the bare tile floor. Although a Gramma would look much nicer I am not willing to spend that much simply for appearance. If I thought I could get any significant sound benefit over just the rug then I would do it.

My floor is suspend over the basement, in a 60 year old house, so not the sturdiest of foundations for pounding bass. Old windows don't help the cause either.

Bare tile flooring is one of the worst things you could have, so placing your sub on anything to separate the two will be of value. The Gramma would be a better isolator then your bathroom rug, but it's tough to gauge "significant sound benefits" I'm afraid.

In my case there's no placebo effect; the Gramma has made a noticeable difference. Only rarely does anything in my room rattle now, which is a far cry from what it once was. I would say the sound is a bit cleaner, but that's potentially due to the lack of extraneous noises and subsequent drop of resonance.

I do think Auralex charges too much for it though. If you're a competent DIYer I'm sure you could closely approximate it's capabilities for half the cost. I don't think the SubDude and Gramma are properly sized either; neither of them seems wide enough for a surprising percentage of subwoofers (at least the ones I've been getting lately). But for me -- and countless others -- isolators are a worthwhile thing to have. If you aren't a DIYer then it's pretty much the only choice it seems.

post #13 of 50 Old 12-11-2012, 06:32 AM

I'm not the best on trying to save money but this is a killer deal, carpet/rug pad at Amazon.

It's great for holding hall runners in place, separating subs from wood floors and protecting a floor's finish from pottery based floor art.

-
post #14 of 50 Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do think Auralex charges too much for it though. If you're a competent DIYer I'm sure you could closely approximate it's capabilities for half the cost. I don't think the SubDude and Gramma are properly sized either; neither of them seems wide enough for a surprising percentage of subwoofers (at least the ones I've been getting lately). But for me -- and countless others -- isolators are a worthwhile thing to have. If you aren't a DIYer then it's pretty much the only choice it seems.
You can duplicate it by cutting one of these into a few pieces:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Pack-Lite-Camping-Pad/9856753

post #15 of 50 Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You can duplicate it by cutting one of these into a few pieces:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Pack-Lite-Camping-Pad/9856753
Many thanks to you and Jim. I really dont notice anything rattling in my room but I'm sure that it is a good idea to keep it off of the tile floor. The camping pad seems like a good idea and would look better than a bath rug. There is enough there to cut and triple it up and I have Gorilla glue to glue the 3 pieces together. That would give me 1.2" I am going to keep an eye out for one in black (to match the sub) or burgundy (to match the tile).

post #16 of 50 Old 12-12-2012, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
hi i have a klipsh rw12 sub on a hardwood floor in a room 22x12 8 ft cielings. when watching a bluray or tv movie a lot of things in the room rattle.have the setting on the sub to-15 and -3 in the reciever. if i was to get some sort of padding for under the sub should it be the same size as the sub or farer out on the front and sides of the sub.
post #17 of 50 Old 12-12-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny 21 View Post

...if i was to get some sort of padding for under the sub should it be the same size as the sub or farer out on the front and sides of the sub.

If I understand everybody's comments correctly, even small circles sufficient to isolate the sub's feet from the floor would be sufficient; isolation.
post #18 of 50 Old 12-12-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hi i have a klipsh rw12 sub on a hardwood floor in a room 22x12 8 ft cielings. when watching a bluray or tv movie a lot of things in the room rattle.have the setting on the sub to-15 and -3 in the reciever. if i was to get some sort of padding for under the sub should it be the same size as the sub or farer out on the front and sides of the sub.

All you need to do is isolate the subwoofer cabinet, so there's really no benefit to getting something larger.

post #19 of 50 Old 12-12-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

If I understand everybody's comments correctly, even small circles sufficient to isolate the sub's feet from the floor would be sufficient; isolation.

That won't help I'm afraid - you'll need something a bit more substantial then a small circle that only separates the feet from the floor.

post #20 of 50 Old 12-12-2012, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
so i should make the pad the same size as the bottom of the sub no overhang
post #21 of 50 Old 12-12-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:

All you need to do is isolate the subwoofer cabinet, so there's really no benefit to getting something larger.

It doesn't matter the size. What matters is the degree (efficiency) of the isolating material.

Quote:

That won't help I'm afraid - you'll need something a bit more substantial then a small circle that only separates the feet from the floor.

Most room rattling is a sign of resonance as opposed to connectivity. Frequency sweeps highlight this point as one makes note of rattles at different frequencies. The example I gave was intended to show that in this case, size doesn't matter as it's about the efficiency of the isolation effort. A thin, flat mat the size of NY state won't necessarily aid the matter but four efficient isolators, each the size of a coat button, can.

Quote:

so i should make the pad the same size as the bottom of the sub no overhang

What's important is, the feet of the subwoofer being isolated from the floor; disconnected so any energy from the sub is not transferred to the flooring.

-
post #22 of 50 Old 12-12-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

What's important is, the feet of the subwoofer being isolated from the floor; disconnected so any energy from the sub is not transferred to the flooring.
-
This points out the fallacy of the isolation theory. For the sub to transfer energy to the floor the sub cabinet would have to be vibrating in its passband so badly as to make it totally defective. Well made subs do not vibrate in the subwoofer passband. Whatever panel vibration that is present lies in the midrange, and midrange doesn't cause the floor or anything else to vibrate. The only exception would be where the forces generated by the motion of the cone push and pull the cabinet into and away from the floor, ie., an up-firing driver, which AFAIK no one uses.

post #23 of 50 Old 12-12-2012, 06:32 AM

Is a down firing sub that much different than an up firing sub?
post #24 of 50 Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:

This points out the fallacy of the isolation theory. For the sub to transfer energy to the floor the sub cabinet would have to be vibrating in its passband so badly as to make it totally defective. Well made subs do not vibrate in the subwoofer passband. Whatever panel vibration that is present lies in the midrange, and midrange doesn't cause the floor or anything else to vibrate. The only exception would be where the forces generated by the motion of the cone push and pull the cabinet into and away from the floor, ie., an up-firing driver, which AFAIK no one uses.

Fluid Dynamics.

Not everybody is into bandpass enclosure design. Not knocking it, just saying, bandpass enclosure design lacks aesthetic appeal over that of a direct radiating design and fluid dynamics demands that enclosure energy will be transferred. Where am I going wrong?

-
post #25 of 50 Old 12-12-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsky HiFi View Post

Why? Do you know of an upfiring sub?

post #26 of 50 Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 AM

I can think of a couple.
post #27 of 50 Old 12-12-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I can think of a couple.
Can you post links or name them? I would like to check them out.
Bigsky HiFi likes this.

post #28 of 50 Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 AM

Bossobass.com and Wilson-Benesch's "Torus Infrasonic Generator"
post #29 of 50 Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Bossobass.com and Wilson-Benesch's "Torus Infrasonic Generator"
I see. Those look like some very nice subs. I am not sure but the impression that I got from Bill was of a sub that had a cone that fired into the cabinet. That is what I thought you were referring to.

post #30 of 50 Old 12-12-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, as the feet incorporated in a downfiring would prevent any panel flex from being transmitted to the floor because no panel is in contact with the floor. Of course said panel flex would be in the midrange anyway, and for that matter adding feet to an up-firing, front firing, side firing or rear firing accomplishes the same thing.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page