Alternatives to B&W PV1d - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-07-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking to finish up my home theater audio with a subwoofer. I currently have B&W CM7s, CM5s, and CMC2 powered by a Marantz AVR 7002. I recently auditioned three B&W subwoofers at my dealer (ASW 610, ASW 10CM, and PV1d).

The one I liked the most was the PV1d. I am new to the subwoofer world, and I realized I preferred when listening to subs was a clean, tight, fast response, musical bass, which is what the PV1d provided. I auditioned the subs using music that I know quite well to listen for pitch definition and clarity in the low bass, and I also listened to the same movie clip between all three subs.

My dealer and I agreed that my preference is bass that is not "boomy" or earth-shaking. I don't like the idea of the sub drowning out everything else. Perhaps the other term would be "polite." It's possible that the other two subs just weren't integrated well into the demo electronics I heard, but the PV1d was the only one that wasn't constantly calling my attention to the fact that a subwoofer was on.

While I don't know the exact dimensions of my family room, I would call it "medium." I realize that's little to no help.

My research on this forum indicates that B&W subs may not be the best value. I know that I don't want to pay more than $1500 or so for a sub, but I also don't know if that's the starting price point for the kind of sub that I seem to like. I've heard mention of and reviews of subs by SVS, HSU, and Emotiva as being better value, but I don't know where I could audition these subs to make sure I'm getting the sound I want. I also realize setup is a factor.

I hope the description makes sense, and if anyone could point me in the right direction or product, it'd be much appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-08-2012, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

A bit more info...

Room is about 20x15. Listening is roughly 60% movies and TV, 40% music. From what I was told, if it works well for music, it will work well for movies.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions on a sub that plays clean and tight, accurate and musical, that is not $1,500, I'd be grateful!

Thanks again...
post #3 of 12 Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
These are recommendations based upon stuff I've read, so take that into consideration.
Rythmik FV15HP
Rythmik F15HP
Power Sound Audio XS30
Power Sound Audio XV30
2 PSA XS30s or XV30s

Good luck in finding what you are looking for smile.gif

post #4 of 12 Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that's a good start. I've also heard Velodyne is worth a look, but do any models have the sound I'm looking for?
post #5 of 12 Old 04-15-2013, 05:54 AM

so what did you end up getting?
post #6 of 12 Old 04-15-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Ended up with the B&W PV1D. It was the only sub I could audition before buying. Granted, the price was higher compared to others, but it is a GREAT sounding sub, tight and accurate and very musical, which is what I was looking for. I learned a while ago not to buy anything I couldn't audition personally.

Also, I want to support my local dealer; who knows how many stores like this are going to be around in a few years, and I value being able to listen to things and have someone help me out before buying.

Ironically, the electronics in the sub started acting goofy last week and had to send it back for repair, but I'm confident they'll get it fixed. Never knew how much I appreciated having a good sub until it's gone!
post #7 of 12 Old 05-17-2013, 02:56 PM

Hey Trevor, where were you able to test out the PV1D? I am leaning towards this sub but am extremely hesitant to shell out $1700 without even hearing it and I can't find anyone who has it on display. Does anyone know a place in LA, San Diego, Arizona or Vegas that would have it on display?

Thanks,
Mark E
post #8 of 12 Old 05-17-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

I have a dealer where I live in the Chicago area where I was able to test them out. I would look at B&W's website for dealer locations, they should have one in the areas you mentioned.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 12:36 AM

I'm going to start getting a new system together and wanted to see what shops you would recommend I start looking at in Chicago? I have my eyes on the PM1 series but haven't heard them yet. I was going to head over to the Chicago Audio Consultants on Randolph tomorrow to see what they have set up. Anywhere else I should go?
post #10 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinewbie View Post

I'm going to start getting a new system together and wanted to see what shops you would recommend I start looking at in Chicago? I have my eyes on the PM1 series but haven't heard them yet. I was going to head over to the Chicago Audio Consultants on Randolph tomorrow to see what they have set up. Anywhere else I should go?

If you are willing to drive out to Naperville, Barrett's Technology Services (formerly Barrett's Home Theater) has been good to me. When I was there a few months ago, they had the PM1's in a surround display for demo purposes. I would call before driving out, assuming you live downtown Chicago.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 01:09 PM

Thank you so much for the reply! I am in the city and will try and make my way out there with some reference material soon. Thanks again!
post #12 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinewbie View Post

Thank you so much for the reply! I am in the city and will try and make my way out there with some reference material soon. Thanks again!

If you are out there and are able to talk to Ross DiGiacomo, tell him Trevor sent you! Ross has been good to me the past half decade or so!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page