My Bic America F-12 Hums When My Home Theater System Shuts Off and Will not Auto Power Down - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-07-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung Ht-E550W Home theater system and 4 Boston Audio SX Satellite Speakers with a BIC America F-12 Powered Sub. The only "good" way I can hook up my sub to the system using decent wire is by connecting via two female spade connectors into a 24K gold solder RCA connector. This is the only Sub Out on the system. The sub works GREAT while the home theater system is on, however when I turn it off with the sub in the "auto off" position, the sub hums violently, I can stop the humming by puling out slightly on the RCA connector, but essentially that is disconnecting the sub from the system entirely. I have made sure the speaker wire is not running near anything electrical or magnetic, and am using 16 gauge Audiophile wire. My questions are what would make it hum once the system is powering down, and why is it not shutting off when the system shuts off if it is in "auto shutoff" mode???? I have tested both the wire and the RCA plug for correct ohms and polarity is correct. I am kind of a newb with all of this so I hope someone can help me out here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-07-2012, 11:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrutherford View Post

I have a Samsung Ht-E550W Home theater system and 4 Boston Audio SX Satellite Speakers with a BIC America F-12 Powered Sub. The only "good" way I can hook up my sub to the system using decent wire is by connecting via two female spade connectors into a 24K gold solder RCA connector. This is the only Sub Out on the system. The sub works GREAT while the home theater system is on, however when I turn it off with the sub in the "auto off" position, the sub hums violently, I can stop the humming by puling out slightly on the RCA connector, but essentially that is disconnecting the sub from the system entirely. I have made sure the speaker wire is not running near anything electrical or magnetic, and am using 16 gauge Audiophile wire. My questions are what would make it hum once the system is powering down, and why is it not shutting off when the system shuts off if it is in "auto shutoff" mode???? I have tested both the wire and the RCA plug for correct ohms and polarity is correct. I am kind of a newb with all of this so I hope someone can help me out here.
Obviously a bad connection somewhere. The auto off takes 10-15 minutes to turn off. Is it never turning off?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3 of 7 Old 12-08-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrutherford View Post

The only "good" way I can hook up my sub to the system using decent wire is by connecting via two female spade connectors into a 24K gold solder RCA connector.
Nothing about your set up description makes sense. By the way you describe it you're running out of the speaker connections on the receiver into the line level input of the sub.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-08-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Part of the problem is that he doesnt have a receiver. Its one of those DVD player 5.1 systems for $179 at Walmart. Thats why I didn't spend a bunch of time trying to diagnose it. But the sub should not stay on if its set to auto.

post #5 of 7 Old 12-08-2012, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As Bond said, he doesn't really have a true receiver, and it was only designed for a passive sub. So he's basically taking some speaker wire from the DVD player to a homemade RCA connection to get sound to the sub.

My guess is there's probably an issue with that connection. If it's a hum, I guess it could also be a ground loop (is everything plugged into the same outlet?). These DVD player "receivers" are usually set up for small, low impedance (2-4 ohm) speakers, as well, so using the speakers/sub you have (I would guess 8 ohm) may be causing some issue. Maybe the amp is burning out. You should really consider getting an actual receiver... you can get one for under $200 that will work far better than what you're using, and you already have all the speakers and a sub.

But the sub isn't shutting off because the Auto-off feature works by shutting down when there's been no signal to the sub for 10-15 minutes. If you're getting a hum, the sub is probably seeing that as a signal, so it will never shut off.

EDIT: After reading again, I think what you mean is you get the hum only when the system is shutting down, not all the time or the whole time it's off. That wouldn't be a ground loop, and probably isn't an amp issue, either. Most likely the solder connection.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-08-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by card-me View Post

As Bond said, he doesn't really have a true receiver, and it was only designed for a passive sub. So he's basically taking some speaker wire from the DVD player to a homemade RCA connection to get sound to the sub.
He should be using the speaker level inputs on the sub amp, driven by the output intended for the passive sub.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-08-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Seems like a $200 receiver would be cheaper than replacing everything when the place burns down. I would be afraid to leave the house with some rigged up stuff like that going on. Yes. I know that's irrational.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page