Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony MHCEC909iP Mini Hi-Fi Shelf System
Code:
Cliffs:  Worst case scenario, have I done permanent damage 
and limited the life of the stereo?

Side note: This smell did not occur for the first 8 hours, but only after I played 4-5 base heavy songs at 75% volume.

I bought this for my senior citizen father for Christmas, and have been playing with it to break it in and what not (heard 50-100 hours makes it sound better).

Anyway, after about 8 hours on it, I played 4-5 songs in a row with a lot of continuous bass and smelled a funny, almost electrical burning smell from about 6 feet away. Traced it back to the subwoofer. I immediately shut it off and searched the web.

Read everything from it's normal, to voice coil over heating, to glue melting, etc...

My father dedicated his entire life to philanthropy (mentally retarded adults) and is now retired, in very poor health, and possibly on his way out of this world. I do not live anywhere near him, and he and my mother can barely work a VCR.

How nervous should I be about this? I don't think I have to worry too much about the safety aspect from what I have read, but say it is worst case scenario - have I done permanent damage and limited the life of the stereo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guysakar View Post

How nervous should I be about this?
Very. An electrical smell indicates burned insulation on the voice coil or amp power transformer.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Very. An electrical smell indicates burned insulation on the voice coil or amp power transformer.

So should I send the system back?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 115
The smell will never go away, about 6 years ago, I bought one of the Sony HIFI systems, and after awhile the so called Subwoofer started to have a burning smell.

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
Old 12-08-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

The smell will never go away, about 6 years ago, I bought one of the Sony HIFI systems, and after awhile the so called Subwoofer started to have a burning smell.

Did the sub eventually blow? I am a mechanic and know almost nothing about audio. Once a car overheats, it has black death all over it - it will never be the same. I am just wondering, if I did over heat the voice coil, is it similar to overheating a car in that it will never be the same, and better to just get my father a new system?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 115
No the subwoofer never blew, my mom has it right now, I don't think she uses it, but it works fine just after like 30 min of use or so, that smell keeps coming back.

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
Old 12-08-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:

if I did over heat the voice coil, is it similar to overheating a car in that it will never be the same, and better to just get my father a new system?
It means damage has occurred, and that may lead to eventual failure.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I have a Sony MHCEC909iP Mini Hi-Fi Shelf System
Code:
Cliffs:  Worst case scenario, have I done permanent damage 
and limited the life of the stereo?
Side note: This smell did not occur for the first 8 hours, but only after I played 4-5 base heavy songs at 75% volume.
I bought this for my senior citizen father for Christmas, and have been playing with it to break it in and what not (heard 50-100 hours makes it sound better).
Anyway, after about 8 hours on it, I played 4-5 songs in a row with a lot of continuous bass and smelled a funny, almost electrical burning smell from about 6 feet away. Traced it back to the subwoofer. I immediately shut it off and searched the web.
Read everything from it's normal, to voice coil over heating, to glue melting, etc...
My father dedicated his entire life to philanthropy (mentally retarded adults) and is now retired, in very poor health, and possibly on his way out of this world. I do not live anywhere near him, and he and my mother can barely work a VCR.
How nervous should I be about this? I don't think I have to worry too much about the safety aspect from what I have read, but say it is worst case scenario - have I done permanent damage and limited the life of the stereo?

Hello Guysakar,

Good afternoon! Amanda Maffei here with the Sony Support team. We're sorry to hear that about your father's Mini Hi-Fi Component System. And the smell that you're describing we do take very seriously. So what we recommend is calling: Priority Service: 239-768-7547 Hours:

■Mon-Fri 8:00am-12:00am (Midnight) ET
■Sat-Sun 9:00am-8:00pm ET

Let them know your name, phone number, and any other contact information that you would like to provide. Our Technical Support team will assist you further from there. Thank you, and we do hope we can get this problem resolved for you.

-Amanda Maffei

Sony Support USA