Subwoofer Ownership – Your Path to Satisfaction - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,301
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
If you had to, based on your experience, List the top 5 quality/perfprmance drivers currently available on the market.
jlpowell84 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-18-2013, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bass addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A padded room
Posts: 4,420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

If you had to, based on your experience, List the top 5 quality/perfprmance drivers currently available on the market.

That's open to too much speculation. With the exception of a handful on here, most people have never had more than 1 or 2 premium subs available at one time; let alone 5. If you've only owned one or two; how do you know they would be considered a top 5 driver?

Quality and performance aren't necessarily synonymous with each other. I've owned some quality drivers that I wouldn't consider stellar performers; and I've owned some that performed, but weren't high on quality.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

bass addict is offline  
Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 16,921
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Well based on specs and some measurements I would say
RE XXX
LMS 5400
FTW-21
UXL-18

So far but there are many drivers that can have the same type of performance in multiples. These are if you need one or two subs.

Marantz 7702 Atmos
3 Inuke NU4-6000 amps for all speakers.
Speakers- 7 Behringer B215XL's, 4 212xl's for ceiling speakers.
Front subs 12 SI 18ht ported SLLT powered by Inuke 6000
Rear subs 2 XXX ported SLLT powered by IPR2-7500.
MKtheater is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 06:17 AM
Member
 
enterthedragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Anyone ever try an MTX Jackhammer?


All hype.

I bet this would out perform a Jackhammer.

http://youtu.be/49mpKRrE_7Q

enterthedragon is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,301
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
I've read the RE xxx xmax is overrated.
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,301
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Well based on specs and some measurements I would say
RE XXX
LMS 5400
FTW-21
UXL-18

So far but there are many drivers that can have the same type of performance in multiples. These are if you need one or two subs.

Where would you say the Captivator/OS driver fits in there?
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,301
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
A dual config that looks like a cap s2 except the RE XXX drivers would be beastly. Prob cost not much short of them either
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 16,921
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Just a guess until they get tested. Based on specs it would be below the rest because it has less displacement than the rest. The RE XXX was tested in a box much too small for it and still did excellent. It would be much better in a bigger box.

Marantz 7702 Atmos
3 Inuke NU4-6000 amps for all speakers.
Speakers- 7 Behringer B215XL's, 4 212xl's for ceiling speakers.
Front subs 12 SI 18ht ported SLLT powered by Inuke 6000
Rear subs 2 XXX ported SLLT powered by IPR2-7500.
MKtheater is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,301
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Just a guess until they get tested. Based on specs it would be below the rest because it has less displacement than the rest. The RE XXX was tested in a box much too small for it and still did excellent. It would be much better in a bigger box.

Just guessing on a whim...what do you think 2 of these bad boys in a rightfully sized box would do? 8ft for 2 according to RE's site.
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Member
 
enterthedragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

A dual config that looks like a cap s2 except the RE XXX drivers would be beastly. Prob cost not much short of them either

No way the XXX could fit in a box remotely close to the same size as the Cap S2. I want to say the basket/magnet depth is like +13" deep.

Do it...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1448650/fs-pair-of-re-xxx18s-final-price-drop/0_100
enterthedragon is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 16,921
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
The RE XXX is a beast in the right size box, 8 cubic feet is good, for one of them! These are the ultimate IB drivers with 13 liters of displacement.

Marantz 7702 Atmos
3 Inuke NU4-6000 amps for all speakers.
Speakers- 7 Behringer B215XL's, 4 212xl's for ceiling speakers.
Front subs 12 SI 18ht ported SLLT powered by Inuke 6000
Rear subs 2 XXX ported SLLT powered by IPR2-7500.
MKtheater is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,301
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthedragon View Post

No way the XXX could fit in a box remotely close to the same size as the Cap S2. I want to say the basket/magnet depth is like +13" deep.

Do it...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1448650/fs-pair-of-re-xxx18s-final-price-drop/0_100

The are 14 and change...was just on the website. It recommends 4 cubic ft ideally for one driver
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 16,921
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

The are 14 and change...was just on the website. It recommends 4 cubic ft ideally for one driver

That is for a car. 4 cubic feet is good for a LMS 5400, this beast needs 8 cubic feet. Just ask the guys that own and have measured them.

Marantz 7702 Atmos
3 Inuke NU4-6000 amps for all speakers.
Speakers- 7 Behringer B215XL's, 4 212xl's for ceiling speakers.
Front subs 12 SI 18ht ported SLLT powered by Inuke 6000
Rear subs 2 XXX ported SLLT powered by IPR2-7500.
MKtheater is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,301
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

That is for a car. 4 cubic feet is good for a LMS 5400, this beast needs 8 cubic feet. Just ask the guys that own and have measured them.

I see. What exactly is an IB? I googled it. Looks like subs facing the opposite way?
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,301
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Damn, I could pick up those from beast right now

How do these subs fair with SQ? It is an important factor for me. I have read these subs are beasts and built for high output but also have good SQ
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 16,921
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
As good as the others. The others will have more midbass than these.

Marantz 7702 Atmos
3 Inuke NU4-6000 amps for all speakers.
Speakers- 7 Behringer B215XL's, 4 212xl's for ceiling speakers.
Front subs 12 SI 18ht ported SLLT powered by Inuke 6000
Rear subs 2 XXX ported SLLT powered by IPR2-7500.
MKtheater is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,301
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

As good as the others. The others will have more midbass than these.

But they will provide enough mid bass right? 2 or 4 of these would cover it all?
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bass addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A padded room
Posts: 4,420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I see. What exactly is an IB? I googled it. Looks like subs facing the opposite way?

Infinite baffle. In a nutshell; you are using an opposing rooms space as the box. No coloration of sound amongst other benefits.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

bass addict is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,301
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Infinite baffle. In a nutshell; you are using an opposing rooms space as the box. No coloration of sound amongst other benefits.

So I would build the box and mount the subs with the magnet out? Can the be mounted normal?

Forgive all my questions. I'm like that new guy at a job who just doesn't know all the terminology yet smile.gif
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 16,921
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Enough depends on your goals but yes they will have lots of Midbass. Look at the ported XXX to get an idea of Midbass. An IB is like a sealed sub but with a huge enclosure and less power where the sealed sub has a small enclosure and lots of power. The IB uses a room like an attic or crawl space for the box so you can put a line array on your walls with the backs facing in the other room for a very simple design. The bad is that room will get the same bass wave so if not contained will rattle that room as much as the intended room. That is the only reason I have not gone IB yet, I have my bass in my sealed room.

Marantz 7702 Atmos
3 Inuke NU4-6000 amps for all speakers.
Speakers- 7 Behringer B215XL's, 4 212xl's for ceiling speakers.
Front subs 12 SI 18ht ported SLLT powered by Inuke 6000
Rear subs 2 XXX ported SLLT powered by IPR2-7500.
MKtheater is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,301
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Enough depends on your goals but yes they will have lots of Midbass. Look at the ported XXX to get an idea of Midbass. An IB is like a sealed sub but with a huge enclosure and less power where the sealed sub has a small enclosure and lots of power. The IB uses a room like an attic or crawl space for the box so you can put a line array on your walls with the backs facing in the other room for a very simple design. The bad is that room will get the same bass wave so if not contained will rattle that room as much as the intended room. That is the only reason I have not gone IB yet, I have my bass in my sealed room.

Well considering I don't own a home yet I would be building a sealed enclosure
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,301
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
How would a 12.2 cubic ft enclosure do with two of these bad boys? 48x22x20.
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Member
 
enterthedragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

How would a 12.2 cubic ft enclosure do with two of these bad boys? 48x22x20.

That would be pretty gangster...

Tell you what... 54mm xmax sure would be fun to look at! $1000 for a pair is one hell of a deal!

These subs are VERY power hungry. VERY VERY power hungry.
enterthedragon is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,301
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
How would this amp do with 2 RE XXX's?
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=248-7986
Also if they are 2 Ohm subs, would I just wire them separately to their own binding posts? So have two sets of binding posts on the box. And opinions on a 12.2 ft3 enclosure. Should I shoot for a little more air?
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 07-20-2013, 09:07 AM
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 16,325
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Maybe more like a Lab Gruppen 14000 (or clone)....at least that was what I was thinking when he said very power hungry....
lovinthehd is offline  
Old 07-20-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,301
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Yea I had them cross my mind. I hear they are really costs effective but can be problematic. There is just a lot I don't know with DIY, not sure if it's the best route at this point. As in I have enough money from gear sales and could begin moving forward in a DIY sub build slowly. DECISIONS! I was thinking those Peavey amps because it says they put out 3700 watts a channel 2 ohm. The 2 RE XXX beast has are 2 ohm...Hmm maybe not, I just ran through the numbers and with the sensitivity rating (86.2) we are at 4096 watts at 121 db (2048 at 119) but that would be good right? The enclosure and room gain will add how many db's?

Also, how would these subs do with decay time, distortion, etc?

But this is a sexy pic!
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 07-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Member
 
enterthedragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

How would this amp do with 2 RE XXX's?
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=248-7986
Also if they are 2 Ohm subs, would I just wire them separately to their own binding posts? So have two sets of binding posts on the box. And opinions on a 12.2 ft3 enclosure. Should I shoot for a little more air?
Haha.. One channel per voice coil. Yeah, that'll do....
enterthedragon is offline  
Old 07-20-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,301
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
^Yeah, I'm sure they would max out the amp if one channel per sub. It seems the LG clone amp is the only feasible way to go with these.
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 07-20-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,301
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Well boys, I'm flying out to Oahu in a few hours. Lata!
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 07-20-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 2,571
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Yea I had them cross my mind. I hear they are really costs effective but can be problematic. There is just a lot I don't know with DIY, not sure if it's the best route at this point. As in I have enough money from gear sales and could begin moving forward in a DIY sub build slowly. DECISIONS! I was thinking those Peavey amps because it says they put out 3700 watts a channel 2 ohm. The 2 RE XXX beast has are 2 ohm...Hmm maybe not, I just ran through the numbers and with the sensitivity rating (86.2) we are at 4096 watts at 121 db (2048 at 119) but that would be good right? The enclosure and room gain will add how many db's?

Also, how would these subs do with decay time, distortion, etc?

But this is a sexy pic!

The RE XXX 18 is a monster, here is the pic to prove it next to Dayton RS 18" and Maelstrom-X 18" on either side of the King:



The reports of needing big power are true, it would help if you lived next to a nuclear power plant biggrin.gif The XXX lives in low bass land but don't expect too much mid-bass, better have big mains to provide that. The LMS Ultra may be a better all around choice unless your willing to go whole hog with the XXX. If you have space then multiple SI or Dayton RS 18" subs are a good choice as well.
mjaudio is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Dayton Audio Dvc385 88 15 Dvc Series Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Jtr
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off