Help choosing a sub w/ a $500 budget. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-08-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hey all, first post here and I'm a noob. I'll try to keep it short but detailed...
Recently had my Logitech Z-5500 crap out on me so decided to build a 'better' PC speaker system from scratch. This is a PC/entertainment system focused mostly on music listening btw. Think college dorm room living @ about 350sf with 9' ceilings...cinder block, wood cabinets, and drywall for the walls; floors are tile with Persian wool rugs covering 50% of the floor space. Right now I am running a pair of Tannoy 501a studio monitors off a PreSonus Audiobox usb external interface linked to my PC. The Tannoy's are amazing but I can feel their weakness in bass. I listen to 'everything' but have a desire to feel and hear the bass from dubstep. I'm not worried about my neighbors either btw smile.gif

Due to the limited space of my studio and my Audiobox's single L/R outputs, My choices in a sub are limited. It has to be less than 15" wide and 20" deep, with external outputs to connect to my Tannoy SM's...the smaller the better btw. The subs I found so far that fit my needs are the HSU STF-2, and the new SVS PB-1000 and SB-1000. Btw, the PB-1000 is just deep enough to fit under my desk but the driver will be firing directly into a wooden wall [literally, the cover for the front-firing sub will be touching the wood leaving 3" in the back for cables sticking out.] The only other placement for this sub is sitting on a 2ft high end-table literally right next to the left arm of my couch.

I would like to save money and pick up the STF-2 but I'm thinking that its 200W - no more no less - may not be sufficient in dB levels to hear/feel that bass...even though the sub will be sitting right under my desk...correct me if I'm wrong and you think this would suffice.

Concerning the SVS PB/SB-1000 - I really like what I'm hearing about SVS customer service and their warranties. The SB-1000 appeals to me mostly because of its small cabinet combined with a 12" driver. However, the PB-1000 10" driver says it can hit lower Hz at higher dB than the SB-1000's 12" driver...I'm confused about this:mad: Also, the PB is ported while the SB is sealed...since I am focusing on music, isn't sealed better? Btw, I really like that both of these subs have a 80Hz output to external speakers reducing the low frequencies to my Tannoy's limited 5" mid-drivers.

I'm torn here with SVS while keeping HSU as an option. If anyone else has any other subs that I haven't heard of yet, fitting my needs, please list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 994
First, watts don't directly translate to dB, depends on the efficiency of the driver as to what spl it can reach with a given amount of power. Ported subs can often have a lower tuning and higher spl than sealed but it's sub specific, just as some ported are fine with music but some sealed may be better. Size of woofer isn't everything, although a larger diameter can move more air. Nice feature on that line level output for powered speakers, hadn't seen that before. I don't know which I'd choose nor have I tried either brand, so no help there. Why not get rid of the end table? Subs don't need lots of breathing space so to speak...

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace79 View Post

Hey all, first post here and I'm a noob. I'll try to keep it short but detailed...
Recently had my Logitech Z-5500 crap out on me so decided to build a 'better' PC speaker system from scratch. This is a PC/entertainment system focused mostly on music listening btw. Think college dorm room living @ about 350sf with 9' ceilings...cinder block, wood cabinets, and drywall for the walls; floors are tile with Persian wool rugs covering 50% of the floor space. Right now I am running a pair of Tannoy 501a studio monitors off a PreSonus Audiobox usb external interface linked to my PC. The Tannoy's are amazing but I can feel their weakness in bass. I listen to 'everything' but have a desire to feel and hear the bass from dubstep. I'm not worried about my neighbors either btw smile.gif
Due to the limited space of my studio and my Audiobox's single L/R outputs, My choices in a sub are limited. It has to be less than 15" wide and 20" deep, with external outputs to connect to my Tannoy SM's...the smaller the better btw. The subs I found so far that fit my needs are the HSU STF-2, and the new SVS PB-1000 and SB-1000. Btw, the PB-1000 is just deep enough to fit under my desk but the driver will be firing directly into a wooden wall [literally, the cover for the front-firing sub will be touching the wood leaving 3" in the back for cables sticking out.] The only other placement for this sub is sitting on a 2ft high end-table literally right next to the left arm of my couch.
I would like to save money and pick up the STF-2 but I'm thinking that its 200W - no more no less - may not be sufficient in dB levels to hear/feel that bass...even though the sub will be sitting right under my desk...correct me if I'm wrong and you think this would suffice.
Concerning the SVS PB/SB-1000 - I really like what I'm hearing about SVS customer service and their warranties. The SB-1000 appeals to me mostly because of its small cabinet combined with a 12" driver. However, the PB-1000 10" driver says it can hit lower Hz at higher dB than the SB-1000's 12" driver...I'm confused about this:mad: Also, the PB is ported while the SB is sealed...since I am focusing on music, isn't sealed better? Btw, I really like that both of these subs have a 80Hz output to external speakers reducing the low frequencies to my Tannoy's limited 5" mid-drivers.
I'm torn here with SVS while keeping HSU as an option. If anyone else has any other subs that I haven't heard of yet, fitting my needs, please list.

I have a HSU VTF2 Mk3 which is similar to the STF2 and believe me it is more than powerful enough, unless you're trying to fill an auditorium it will absolutely rattle your house to pieces if you really crank it up. I love my HSU, I think I paid $700+ for it years ago (don't really remember) and I think it was worth every penny. I've heard tons of subs and this one really excels in that price range so I have no doubt that the STF2 will also be very good at its (very reasonable) price.

I almost bought an STF2 for my bedroom but decided to try the new SVS SB1000 instead, it isn't here yet so I'm anxiously waiting to see if I made the right choice. A ported sub will generally dig deeper into the low frequencies than a similar sealed design, that's the point of a port. It resonates at a frequency near the bottom of the sub's natural bass extension and adds a few Hz to its overall extension. I prefer the sound of sealed subs for music since they tend to have a more tightly defined attack and are less boomy, but a well designed ported sub will not have these problems. My HSU certainly doesn't unless I go to ridiculous volume levels with it (it's in a smallish room so that isn't a problem). It's also worth noting that, while the sealed SB1000 would theoretically be tighter and faster than a ported sub, the PB1000 has a 10" driver which may negate this difference. I wish I had just bought both the SB and PB and compared them side-by-side but oh well.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well I took the plunge and bought the PB1000 instead smile.gif. I was almost sold on the SB1000 because of its small footprint but after talking to SVS pre-purchase help over the phone I was informed the PB1000 would be better for my specific intentions concerning low frequency dubstep bass. He said the SB1000 will be better off for more common ranges of musical bass in the 40-80Hz range, but the PB1000 will really excel in that super low-range that is often found in electronic music. He even recommended the PB1000 over the SB12-NSD for my specific purposes. He also said that while the two (SB and PB,) have their differences, they aren't too noticeable when it comes to one over the other. I can't wait to test it out biggrin.gif I also can't wait to hear what the SB1000's reviews are going to be. Seems SVS might have some popular products at hand.

Btw, if anyone can recommend some good quality (20ft long,) cables I'd appreciate it. I'll need RCA to RCA. A good website would suffice too. Thanks.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Well I took the plunge and bought the PB1000 instead smile.gif. I was almost sold on the SB1000 because of its small footprint but after talking to SVS pre-purchase help over the phone I was informed the PB1000 would be better for my specific intentions concerning low frequency dubstep bass. He said the SB1000 will be better off for more common ranges of musical bass in the 40-80Hz range, but the PB1000 will really excel in that super low-range that is often found in electronic music. He even recommended the PB1000 over the SB12-NSD for my specific purposes. He also said that while the two (SB and PB,) have their differences, they aren't too noticeable when it comes to one over the other. I can't wait to test it out biggrin.gif I also can't wait to hear what the SB1000's reviews are going to be. Seems SVS might have some popular products at hand.
Btw, if anyone can recommend some good quality (20ft long,) cables I'd appreciate it. I'll need RCA to RCA. A good website would suffice too. Thanks.

Monoprice.com for all your cable needs. And congrats, can't really go wrong with SVS.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Congrats on your decision, you'll enjoy your addition I'm sure. Here is a great place for all connectors http://www.monoprice.com/

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #7 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to both! Another question though, It looks like I'm going to need a TS 1/4" adapter female to female but on Monoprice.com I found one that is TRS...I know that TS has one ring and TRS has two rings...will this still work to fit my needs? I'm not finding anything else.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

NM that last post, I found what I can work with. Is this stuff good quality though? The cables seem inexpensive compared to say Monster brand.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NM that last post, I found what I can work with. Is this stuff good quality though? The cables seem inexpensive compared to say Monster brand.

Not sure why you need the 1/4" TS/TRS connector....what are you running this through? Monoprice is a favored vendor among many here. Monster is overpriced, mostly about marketing (reasonable quality, just not magic). Here's a good article http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#connect

post #10 of 11 Old 12-10-2012, 03:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post

I have a HSU VTF2 Mk3 which is similar to the STF2 and believe me it is more than powerful enough, unless you're trying to fill an auditorium it will absolutely rattle your house to pieces if you really crank it up. I love my HSU, I think I paid $700+ for it years ago (don't really remember) and I think it was worth every penny. I've heard tons of subs and this one really excels in that price range so I have no doubt that the STF2 will also be very good at its (very reasonable) price.
I almost bought an STF2 for my bedroom but decided to try the new SVS SB1000 instead, it isn't here yet so I'm anxiously waiting to see if I made the right choice. A ported sub will generally dig deeper into the low frequencies than a similar sealed design, that's the point of a port. It resonates at a frequency near the bottom of the sub's natural bass extension and adds a few Hz to its overall extension. I prefer the sound of sealed subs for music since they tend to have a more tightly defined attack and are less boomy, but a well designed ported sub will not have these problems. My HSU certainly doesn't unless I go to ridiculous volume levels with it (it's in a smallish room so that isn't a problem). It's also worth noting that, while the sealed SB1000 would theoretically be tighter and faster than a ported sub, the PB1000 has a 10" driver which may negate this difference. I wish I had just bought both the SB and PB and compared them side-by-side but oh well.
Comparing your Mk3 to the stf2 is unrealistic. I had an stf2 in a small room and could barely hear it. It wouldn't rattle a bird house to pieces if I set it on top of it.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #11 of 11 Old 12-11-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Comparing your Mk3 to the stf2 is unrealistic. I had an stf2 in a small room and could barely hear it. It wouldn't rattle a bird house to pieces if I set it on top of it.

I'm glad I didn't get the STF-2. I'm wondering where the SVS PB1000 ($500 shipped,) sits compared to the other HSU subs; specifically the VTF-1 MK2 @ about $500 shipped, and the VTF-2 MK4 @ about $600 shipped. I like that the PB has a high-pass frequency output for my studio monitors reducing their bass. The VTF-2 seems to hit similar Hz as the PB1000 but with a 12" driver.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page