Is this accurate? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Comparing two subs in my budget, the hsu stf-2 for 375 or the klipsch rw-12d for 300. Been reading so much all of the details are running together. Would it be oversimplifying the comparison to say that the stf-2 is cleaner and more accurate and the rw-12d is more powerful and hits harder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorage View Post

Comparing two subs in my budget, the hsu stf-2 for 375 or the klipsch rw-12d for 300. Been reading so much all of the details are running together. Would it be oversimplifying the comparison to say that the stf-2 is cleaner and more accurate and the rw-12d is more powerful and hits harder?
Yes. It would be oversimplifying but also true. I have had them both and easily prefer the RW12 for music and movies.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

I have flipped about five times but as of now I am leaning towards the rw-12d. $75 less, stronger output and an extended return window from newegg are pushing me in that direction. I like the stf-2, appreciate the quality of the brand, and I have read nothing but good things on the forums, but I keep thinking it may be underpowered for a big room.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have flipped about five times but as of now I am leaning towards the rw-12d. $75 less, stronger output and an extended return window from newegg are pushing me in that direction. I like the stf-2, appreciate the quality of the brand, and I have read nothing but good things on the forums, but I keep thinking it may be underpowered for a big room.
I made that exact mistake. I got the stf2 thinking it would be better for music and when I got it I could barely hear it. It cost me $110 in shipping ($43 to get it and $67 to return it) to find out it wasn't what I wanted. Hsu received it back on 12/4 and they told me I would be lucky to get my money back by Christmas! I got the RW12 from Newegg on 12/3 and love it. My room is small too so if you have a big room don't waste your time and money with the stf2.

post #5 of 11 Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I see you bought an RW12. I hope you are happy with it. After you get it all set up let us know.

post #6 of 11 Old 12-10-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Really looking forward to it arriving. I feel like I really researched this one to death and the more I read the more I feel I made the right choice. The budget subwoofer thread was a huge help.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-10-2012, 02:34 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:

Really looking forward to it arriving. I feel like I really researched this one to death and the more I read the more I feel I made the right choice. The budget subwoofer thread was a huge help.

You made a good choice in the RW-12d. The trick is, believe. Set that puppy up and don't look back cause in the price range, there ain't better. Well, with the exception of having two of these babies in your system. tongue.gif
post #8 of 11 Old 12-10-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

It doesn't get any better once you step up to the bigger subs. I researched for two weeks trying to decide between a Rythmik FV15HP or an SVS PB12+. After all the reading and debating I did, for me it basically came down to coin flip and I went with the Rythmik.

I plan on doing what BeeMan just mentioned...hooking it up, getting it dialed in and never looking back. I should be receiving mine by the end of the week and cannot wait to get it integrated into my system.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-10-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I agree, and I am pretty confident I can manage my expectations. I don't expect it to perform like a $1000 sub, I just want a noticeable upgrade from my dayton 10 and that should be a slam dunk. Just the fact that the sound and vision shootout was comparing this model to some heavy hitters costing twice as much or more makes me feel good about it.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

I agree, and I am pretty confident I can manage my expectations. I don't expect it to perform like a $1000 sub, I just want a noticeable upgrade from my dayton 10 and that should be a slam dunk. Just the fact that the sound and vision shootout was comparing this model to some heavy hitters costing twice as much or more makes me feel good about it.

Oh no doubt you will enjoy it. I was pondering getting a couple of them, then I found out what my Christmas bonus was going to be and I sprung for one of the heavy hitters.

I am going to be upgrading from a cheap 8" Boston Acoustic sub so I cannot wait to hear and most importantly FEEL the difference.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-11-2012, 11:53 AM

Liked: 27
I think both you guys will be very pleased. I had a 8" sub and then ordered 2 RW12-d's, only had one hooked up at first and it was a major difference. Now with both hooked up it's very nice especially when I up the db's for the sub put the avr at -10db's and play some Halo or BF3, the chain gun in the warthog has a nice punch to it.biggrin.gif

Panasonic TC-P65VT50
Denon 2113ci
Panasonic DMP-BDT220P
Ascend CMT-340SE L/R
Ascend CMT-340SE Center
Ascend CBM-170SE Surrounds
Klipsch RW12-D x 2
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page