HSU 5.1 for home theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello,

I am looking at doing a 5.1 setup for 90% plus blu ray movies and haven't found much in searches on how well these would work for home theater.

I currently have the klipsch quintet iii with a 10 inch klipsh subwoofer and yamaha receiver.

I am looking to upgrade all of it. Looking at the HB-1 MK-2 for front L/R and surrounds, HC-1 MK-2 for center and VTF-3 MK4 for sub(s). Not sure on receiver yet.

My room is 20x20x8 with only an opening on the side for a doorway.

After hearing speakers from def tech and energy, I would say I prefer the horn sound. I have heard a very nice reference klipsh 5.2 setup in a freinds home and really liked it.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 318
The HSU speakers are supposed to be pretty solid, but in a 20x20x8 room I think they would be overwhelmed by the volume of space.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 451
They will do fine in there, they can handle higher volumes pretty well, although they aren't as powerful as compression driver speakers like Klipsch Reference, and the treble won't be as hot. They would be better for large rooms than typical dome tweeter on a flat baffle, like Polk, Energy, and so on. A Hsu caliber sub is definitely going to be needed in that space.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 826
The sub is probably fine but for close to $1000 with shipping for the other 5 I am sure that you can do better than 5 bookshelf speakers. Dont care if they are Hsu or not. Especially for a room that size. Bics are fine speakers and use horn tweeters. Many people say that they sound very similar to the Klipsch that your friend has. Get you a couple of towers for around $500 and spend the rest on a nice center and a couple of decent surround speakers.
What kind of Yamaha receiver do you have? I have the RX-V671 and I love it.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #5 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The sub is probably fine but for close to $1000 with shipping for the other 5 I am sure that you can do better than 5 bookshelf speakers. Dont care if they are Hsu or not. Especially for a room that size. Bics are fine speakers and use horn tweeters. Many people say that they sound very similar to the Klipsch that your friend has. Get you a couple of towers for around $500 and spend the rest on a nice center and a couple of decent surround speakers.
What kind of Yamaha receiver do you have? I have the RX-V671 and I love it.

Thanks for the replies,

I have an older HTR-6030, I will check out the RX. I have a new mitsubishi 82 inch dlp and it has 3 hdmi inputs, just enough for my dbs, xbox and blu ray player. My receiver also has just enough audio inputs (1 coax, 2 optical) so it works for now, but I know I need to upgrade.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by undsioux7 View Post

Thanks for the replies,
I have an older HTR-6030, I will check out the RX. I have a new mitsubishi 82 inch dlp and it has 3 hdmi inputs, just enough for my dbs, xbox and blu ray player. My receiver also has just enough audio inputs (1 coax, 2 optical) so it works for now, but I know I need to upgrade.
If you are patient and diligent you can probably find the 671 for around $300 for Christmas. Amazon just had it for $299. MSRP is $599 but it usually sells for around $450. I paid $385 and have no regrets.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page