Add subwoofer to home stereo-noob - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 12-10-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, everyone!

I've been searching the net trying to solve my problem, but it seems I need more information.I am completely new to this.
Case: I'm trying to add a subwoofer to my stereo.I learned there are 2 ways to do that:
1. Adding a passive subwoofer with a crossover in it (the crossover will "choose"only the low frequencies for the subwoofer)
2. Adding an active subwoofer which has to have Line in and also Line/speakers out.
It is written on the back of the existing speakers:
High frequency (HF): 70 W (music) Impedance: 6 ohms
Low frequency (LF): 70 W (music) Impedance: 6 ohms

Sincerely speaking, I find the solution with the active subwoofer easier, but here comes another question:
The existing speaker cases has each two speakers inside, so there is a total of 4 wires going out and these wires are EACH connected into its place on the back of the stereo (so, a total of 8 wires for the two cases each of them going into 8 different sockets on the back of the stereo).
I do not know how to connect these 8 wires to the back of the active subwoofer (as I noticed, they have connections only for two speakers left/right).
I want to spend as little as possible, I want the cheapest solution, with a used/second hand subwoofer, something not very fancy.
The home stereo is Panasonic SA-PM28.For line-in it has the typical RCA plugs red and white, and for out it has the headphone socket.
http://www.usersmanualguide.com/panasonic/cd_stereo_system/sa-pm28
Please tell me what type of subwoofer to choose (watts, ohms, active/passive) and how to connect it to my stereo.
Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142

You need an active sub with speaker inputs and outouts.  

Leave the connections from the stereo to the high frequency speakers.

Feed the 4 wires for the low frequency output to the speaker inputs on the sub.  Then feed the outputs from the sub to the low frequency speakers.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 24 Old 12-10-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much, your answer makes a lot of sense.Only one dilemma remained: what about the watts and the ohms?
The original speakers say:
High frequency (HF): 70 W (music) Impedance: 6 ohms
Low frequency (LF): 70 W (music) Impedance: 6 ohms
What values should the subwoofer have?
Thank you.
post #4 of 24 Old 12-10-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

None of those specs are helpful.  Most subs with speaker in/outs are happy with 6-8ohms and the amp in the sub has no effect on the main speakers.  Just find something that fits your size and FR needs.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #5 of 24 Old 12-10-2012, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much, now I can start looking for my powered subwoofer.
I can't wait to find it. I hope I won't burn anything smile.gif.
Thanks again.
post #6 of 24 Old 01-28-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

I came across a polkaudio psw10 active subwoofer, with 100 wats power output dynamic and 50 wats power output RMS.The stereo speakers are 70 wats (music) input power at 6 ohms.I don`t know if stereo output power (70w) will burn the sub or if the sub output power for speakers will burn them being too high/too low.There is no mention about high level input/output on the back of the sub, only speaker level input/output.I am afraid not to burn/blow up something.Thank you very much.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-28-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosen View Post

I came across a polkaudio psw10 active subwoofer, with 100 wats power output dynamic and 50 wats power output RMS.The stereo speakers are 70 wats (music) input power at 6 ohms.I don`t know if stereo output power (70w) will burn the sub or if the sub output power for speakers will burn them being too high/too low.There is no mention about high level input/output on the back of the sub, only speaker level input/output.I am afraid not to burn/blow up something.Thank you very much.

That concern is why there are input level controls on most subs.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #8 of 24 Old 01-28-2014, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

I donot see any input level control, are they inside the sub? I suppose yes, but only because the polk audio manual does notsay anything about values, it shows only how to connect speakers.Please excuse my lack of knowledge, this question may sound stupid, but high level input=speaker level input?
post #9 of 24 Old 01-28-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I donot see any input level control, are they inside the sub? I suppose yes, but only because the polk audio manual does notsay anything about values, it shows only how to connect speakers.Please excuse my lack of knowledge, this question may sound stupid, but high level input=speaker level input?

Well, I should have said that the vast majority of subs have such a control.  OTOH, you have to realize that without such a control, you will not be able to balance the sub's level with that of your main speakers.  You need to find one with a level control, not so much for safety concerns (which are minimal), but for satisfaction.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #10 of 24 Old 01-29-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I understand, thank you very much.I will try to to do it with what I have for now.If this doesn't work, I will find another sub with input level control.I can't wait to try smile.gif.Thanks again.
post #11 of 24 Old 01-29-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 202
What is your budget?

The Polk PSW10 would work in your situation. All you need to do is run speaker wires from the CD player to the Speaker Level Input, and run cables from the Speaker Level Out from from subwoofer to speakers. You could look at the Bic V1020 or V1220 too

The power coming from your CD play will have no negative effects on the amp of the subwoofer. Besides while they claim 70watts I doubt it puts out more than 20watts. Manufactures especially with these small all in one units over state the power only listing the peak power which isn't the real number

YOU DON'T NEED A SUBWOOFER WITH INPUT LEVEL CONTROL.

As you turn up your stereo the cd player will be sending more power which will in turn raise the bass in the subwoofer as it will sense more bass is need.

To set up do as I said above., turn the crossover knob on the subwoofer to 80-100hz and the volume on the subwoofer to 0. Get to a comfortable volume with your speakers than turn the subwoofer gain up till you feel it blends smoothy with your speakers
post #12 of 24 Old 01-29-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

YOU DON'T NEED A SUBWOOFER WITH INPUT LEVEL CONTROL.
..................................................................................................................................To set up do as I said above., turn the crossover knob on the subwoofer to 80-100hz and the volume on the subwoofer to 0.

Sure you do.  How will you get the output of the sub to balance with that of the main speakers?  The referred-to Polk sub does not have any volume control.

Subs that lack level controls should be driven independently of the main speakers or matched, by the manufacturer, to the sensitivity of the main speakers.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #13 of 24 Old 01-29-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Sure you do.  How will you get the output of the sub to balance with that of the main speakers?  The referred-to Polk sub does not have any volume control.
Subs that lack level controls should be driven independently of the main speakers or matched, by the manufacturer, to the sensitivity of the main speakers.
I have used a subwoofer just like described with similar set up. I have experience with hooking subwoofers up like that to cheap CD players

Polk PSW10 has a volume gain on the amp

Now I have found with this situations that the gain knob on the subwoofer amp only affects the subwoofer. So really once you blend the subwoofer bass with your speakers to suit your ears you are golden.

When you turn up the volume on the CD player the added power is recognized by the subwoofer so it puts out more bass and the added power goes to the speakers increasing their volume. This is all done without touching the subwoofer gain knob on the sub amp since you already set it.

Now I have personally experienced setting up speakers to similar subwoofers like this as my stereo receiver didn't have subwoofer outputs. And the PSW10 amp had identical controls to the subwoofer I hooked up to.
post #14 of 24 Old 01-29-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

I have used a subwoofer just like described with similar set up. I have experience with hooking subwoofers up like that to cheap CD players

Polk PSW10 has a volume gain on the amp .

Hah!  You are correct that the PSW10 has a volume control.   I had Googled Polk PSW10 pics and accepted the first one that came up:

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #15 of 24 Old 01-29-2014, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Perfect, I was ready to make tests with the volum of both subwoofer and the stereo, but I am happy to learn that all work with the volume of the stereo only.This means that I will have a 2.1 system with only one volume knob for all 3 speakers AND the chance to increase/decrease bass amount how I please.Thank you, guys, I will connect my sub this week-end and I 'll let you know how it works.
post #16 of 24 Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

So , we were talking about INPUT level control, not about VOLUME control.It has no input volume control outside it, but volume control.
post #17 of 24 Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So , we were talking about INPUT level control, not about VOLUME control.It has no input volume control outside it, but volume control.

Same here.  The Volume works by controlling the input level on the sub.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #18 of 24 Old 01-29-2014, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Same here.  The Volume works by controlling the input level on the sub.
Oops! I didn't know that, I thought the input level and the volume are separate functions , thank you for this piece of info.And I thank you both for the good advice.I will let you know how my setup works.
post #19 of 24 Old 01-30-2014, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
I use a subwoofers high pass. Pre into sub, sub out into power amplfiers. Removes 80hz from the signal so amplifiers aren't amplying signals the speakers can't reproduce. Sounds a lot cleaner, also even though the standmounts are small they're quite bassy.

Would like sub with adjustable high pass try 50-80hz but it's just fixed. Not going to buy SB Ultra 13 just to get that feature.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #20 of 24 Old 01-30-2014, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I do the same thing,.
Variable high pass would be awsome or at least something that adjust together with the LPF
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

I use a subwoofers high pass. Pre into sub, sub out into power amplfiers. Removes 80hz from the signal so amplifiers aren't amplying signals the speakers can't reproduce. Sounds a lot cleaner, also even though the standmounts are small they're quite bassy.

Would like sub with adjustable high pass try 50-80hz but it's just fixed. Not going to buy SB Ultra 13 just to get that feature.
post #21 of 24 Old 01-30-2014, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Like I said SB Ultra 13 has variable high pass, as well of course adjustable low pass
Both adjustable, 31, 40, 50, 63, 80,100,and 125Hz. Not infinitely adjustable on one, or both though, I guess limitation of electronic processing over physical potentiometer

But £1400 for a subwoofer for Hi-Fi is a bit much.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #22 of 24 Old 02-02-2014, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

I've connected the sub to my stereo this week-end.It works great.The bass volume goes up at the same time as the one of the stereo, no problems.And the 15 min. auto turn off is great.I use a sansa clip+ for the aux in of the stereo.I used Michael Jackson's "Speechless", and Chesky's CD to test the new sound...everything is much better.All I have to do now is to raise my sub (it is on the floor)...put it on smth higher and find the real spot for it.It is not a 800$ sub, but it makes A LOT of difference.Thank you very much, gentlemen, you made my week-end!
post #23 of 24 Old 02-03-2014, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

You use a MP3 player, headphone out as a source?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #24 of 24 Old 02-03-2014, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, for the aux-in input of the stereo.It's a headphone output of sansa clip+ player.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor Series Psw10 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Cherry , Bic Venturi Subwoofer V1020 , Bic Venturi Subwoofer V1220 , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - V1220 by PriceGrabber.com