Would SVS SB-12 NSD be a fine match to Paradigm MilleniaOne 5.0 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everybody .

What's your opinion regarding adding this SVS SB12 NSD (649$) sealed subwoofer to my new paradigm milleniaone satellite 5.0 config ?

I have read some reviews about this subwoofer and were recommending .

DO you think will blend well with my setup , or better thin of any other choice especially from paradigm ( paradigm SE sub , or the Ultracube , .... ) ??

Many thanks in advance . smile.gif

wink.gif

I shall be telling this with a sigh..
Somewhere ages and ages hence..
Two roads diverged in a wood and I..
I took the one less-travelled by..
And that has made all the difference..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 515
1. SB12-NSD. wink.gif
2. You can add pretty much any sub to pretty much any set of speakers. The key is to properly integrate the sub into / calibrate the sub to your HT set-up.
3. Questions include:
i) How big is your room?
ii) What is your budget for a sub?
iii) What are your listening preferences (i.e., % movies vs. %music)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Hi ,

Thanks for your care , eljaycanuck .

1) My room is round 14' * 11'

2) My budget is anyway between 500-800$ - keeping in mind not to get an overqualified sub for the tiny satellites .

3) My listening preferences are : 75% HT , 25% MUSIC

cool.gif

post #4 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 896
If your budget is up to $800 and you're using it for 75% HT there's probably a few better choices other then a SB12-NSD. Why not go with a PB12-NSD?
post #5 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmmm ..

Not quite sure ..

I know that most reviewers are recommending the ported PB-12 NSD over the sealed SB-12 NSD , which has better ratings and frequency responses .

My main issue would be the weight of the ported one , which would cost me a lot more shipping it to my location in Egypt .

But wanted to know , would it be quite different having the one you recommended over my choice ?

And by the way , to what extent these two would compare to Paradigm's subwoofers like SE sub or Ultracube 10 or 12 ?

I know they totally run in a pretty different league from the Paradigm SUB 12 already .

post #6 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
1) My room is round 14' * 11'
2) My budget is anyway between 500-800$ - keeping in mind not to get an overqualified sub for the tiny satellites .
3) My listening preferences are : 75% HT , 25% MUSIC
The PB12-NSD is a great HT sub - and word has it that the newer version is also quite good for music (the older version, which I used to own, IMO was not so good for music) - but given the relatively small size of your room and your preference for a lower shipping weight, I'd stick with the SB12-NSD.

It's compact, well-built and well-rated; it will do very well with music; and, for movies, in addition to providing plenty of output, it should also provide decent extension (down to 20Hz, or better, in-room).

The Paradigm Studio SUB 12 is a great sub, but in an entirely different league from the SB12-NSD, in both performance and - perhaps even more so - in price. Personally, I'd avoid the other Paradigm subs - I don't believe you get the same sort of value you'd get with an SVS sub.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

The Paradigm Studio SUB 12 is a great sub, but in an entirely different league from the SB12-NSD, in both performance and - perhaps even more so - in price. Personally, I'd avoid the other Paradigm subs - I don't believe you get the same sort of value you'd get with an SVS sub.

Thanks Eljay a lot smile.gif

It seems I'll make my decision with this little SVS-SB12 to complete my tiny MilleniaOne setup .

By the way , I've seen your HT pics .Looks pretty attractive , and because my second dedicated HT room would be most probably consisting of Paradigm studio line , hust wanted to share thoughts with you .
What's your impressions and conclusions about your Studio 60 , CC690 performance .

And what's your evaluation for the Craigsubs SS 18.1 in general ?

post #8 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Eljay a lot smile.gif
Glad to help. smile.gif
Quote:
It seems I'll make my decision with this little SVS-SB12 to complete my tiny MilleniaOne setup .
IMO, the SB12-NSD will be a very good match to your speakers.
Quote:
By the way , I've seen your HT pics .Looks pretty attractive ...
Thanks! biggrin.gif
Quote:
What's your impressions and conclusions about your Studio 60 , CC690 performance .
My Studio 60v4s are an upgrade from my previous Monitor 7v4s. They are, overall, a noticeable step up in performance and sound quality. Clean highs, solid mid-range and decent bass. Really nice for music - even on their own (i.e., w/ no sub) - and great with HT, too.

I bought a used CC-590v5 to replace my old center, but the day I picked it up, I had a chance to A/B it against my buddy's CC-690v5. One listen, and I went out that same afternoon and bought a CC-690v5 (and later sold the CC-590v5). The CC-690 is a big, beautiful, rich-sounding CC speaker. I absolutely love it! cool.gif
Quote:
And what's your evaluation for the Craigsubs SS 18.1 in general ?
In general, I'm very happy with the SS-18.1s. They dig deep (mine are flat to ~17Hz in my ~3,375 cu.ft. HT space; my buddy's are flat to ~10Hz in his ~2,025 cu.ft. HT space); they play loud and do it cleanly; they're tight/accurate; and, IMO, they look pretty good, too. smile.gif They were a noticeable step up from my previous SVS PB12-NSD.

post #9 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Eljay .

I won't leave you alone .

Finally , found a canadian Paradigm expert fanatic , and I did love this brand .

So , Would i notice any great difference between the Studios 100 over the 60's ? ( I listened to these 100's at a near local dealer and the blew me up mated with the Sub12 )

2nd : If I decided to go with the SVS PB-12 NSD , would you recommend to get this Craig's SS-18.1 over it ? ( which would cost me nearly the same overall price )

wink.gif

post #10 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Finally , found a canadian Paradigm expert fanatic , and I did love this brand .
Expert? No. A fan? Definitely! smile.gif
Quote:
So , Would i notice any great difference between the Studios 100 over the 60's ? ( I listened to these 100's at a near local dealer and the blew me up mated with the Sub12 )
A few months after I bought my gently-used S60s, I spoke to the guy who sold them to me. He had replaced them with S100s and he commented that the difference between the two models was the fuller/deeper bass that the S100's three-way design offered when playing the speakers on their own (in "pure direct" two-channel mode, w/ no sub).

Although I don't know for certain, I do suspect that the S100's advantage over the S60s would be diminished once a sub is (or subs are) factored into the mix.
Quote:
2nd : If I decided to go with the SVS PB-12 NSD , would you recommend to get this Craig's SS-18.1 over it ? ( which would cost me nearly the same overall price ) wink.gif[/SIZE]
If ChaseHT weren't in a state of "flux" these days, I would recommend dual SS-18.1s over a single PB12-NSD or even over something else in a (more or less) comparable price range. But even if it weren't in that state, I don't think I'd recommend a single SS-18.1 over a PB12-NSD.

post #11 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Eljay a lot .

Appreciate all your advises and recommendations ..

Gonna post my new setup too share thoughts smile.gif

post #12 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad to help, and I look forward to reading your comments on your new HT purchases! smile.gif

post #13 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
There are many people that I've recommended the SB12 for their MilleniaOnes. They are a combination that is practically perfect together, the SB12 is very well matched. It's a better sub than the Paradigm Monitor Sub 12

I've owned a lot of Paradigm gear and love their stuff for home theater, but few speaker companies can beat out companies like SVS' offerings

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #14 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

They are a combination that is practically perfect together, the SB12 is very well matched. It's a better sub than the Paradigm Monitor Sub 12
s

Sure, Warpdrive . I've received the same feedback from Jack and Ed at SVS customer service .
They assured that the the best match would be the SVS-SB12 NSD .

N.B : We're not talking about the Paradigm Monitor SUB 12 up , we were discussing the Paradigm Reference SUB 12 which is a butt-kicker , earth-quaker , mind-blower subwoofer from a totally different league than these .. smile.gifwink.gif

Btw : would you think that PB-12 NSD would be overqualified for these MilleniaOnes ? rolleyes.gif

post #15 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Dayter - The MilleniaOne's get universally good reviews and I've been considering trying them. How are you liking them so far? How does the mid-range sound to you?
post #16 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

Dayter - The MilleniaOne's get universally good reviews and I've been considering trying them. How are you liking them so far? How does the mid-range sound to you?

And they deserve every little word written on them without any exaggeration .

Those little babies will reshape your look to what a satellite speaker system could do .

They sound more , totally more than they look .

Great build . awesome cosmetics . sexy sleek design and touch .

After my listening experience those MilleniaOnes are nicely neutral , slightly laid back , with excellent accuracy and imaging , and a decent , pretty decent soundstage . The mid-range is kinda thin due to its dynamic limitation , yet powerful and amazingly detailed .

Can't go wrong with these ... smile.gif

post #17 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayter View Post

Sure, Warpdrive . I've received the same feedback from Jack and Ed at SVS customer service .
They assured that the the best match would be the SVS-SB12 NSD .
N.B : We're not talking about the Paradigm Monitor SUB 12 up , we were discussing the Paradigm Reference SUB 12 which is a butt-kicker , earth-quaker , mind-blower subwoofer from a totally different league than these .. smile.gifwink.gif
Btw : would you think that PB-12 NSD would be overqualified for these MilleniaOnes ? rolleyes.gif

I think yes, the PB12 might be overqualified for it, but the time you turn the PB12 loud enough to stretch it's capabilities, you'd be past the limits of the M1s. It would still sound great (due to the SVS's very linear bandwidth) together in terms of them blending together.

I'm very familiar with the Reference Studio Sub12, but if you are going to spend that much on a sub, then you should be also looking at the SVS SB13 Ultra, which would again start making the Reference Studio Sub 12 start to look pale for less $

post #18 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

I'm very familiar with the Reference Studio Sub12, but if you are going to spend that much on a sub, then you should be also looking at the SVS SB13 Ultra, which would again start making the Reference Studio Sub 12 start to look pale for less $

So , would you think that SVS-SB-13 ultra performance would exceed that of Paradigm studio sub 12 ?
I was thinking of having this in my 2nd dedicated HT room with the paradigm studios 100 or 60 v5 ...... wink.gif

post #19 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayter View Post

So , would you think that SVS-SB-13 ultra performance would exceed that of Paradigm studio sub 12 ?
I was thinking of having this in my 2nd dedicated HT room with the paradigm studios 100 or 60 v5 ...... wink.gif

yes I know so. I was originally going to buy a Ref Sub12, but I ended up buying a SB13. I would say the SVS wouldn't lose *that* much to the Sub15, it's really very good.

post #20 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Sure will keep in mind . Many thanks wink.gif

post #21 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 03:28 PM

Liked: 801
Not sure what just happened here. confused.gif

Quote:
My main issue would be the weight of the ported one , which would cost me a lot more shipping...

What would be the difference in shipping between the small body and the ported body? The ported body has the better numbers and would be worth the added freight costs if maybe the equivalent of $50.00 USD.
post #22 of 24 Old 12-16-2012, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You could always find some compromise with the cylinder version PC12-NSB @ 49lbs vs the PB12-NSD @ 66lbs. The SB12-NSD is 35lbs so if that extra 14lbs for the PC12 is that much of a difference to be worth it, I wouldn't know.
post #23 of 24 Old 12-17-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Not sure what just happened here. confused.gif
What would be the difference in shipping between the small body and the ported body? The ported body has the better numbers and would be worth the added freight costs if maybe the equivalent of $50.00 USD.

No , the ported one ( PB-12 NSD ) is weighed 66 pounds while the sealed SB-12 NSD is just 35 pounds which is a half !
The ported will cost me like 300$ more to ship it to Egypt ..... smile.gifmad.gif

post #24 of 24 Old 12-24-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

If your budget is up to $800 and you're using it for 75% HT there's probably a few better choices other then a SB12-NSD. Why not go with a PB12-NSD?

I used a PB12 NSD with my Millenia 5.0 speaker setup and it did great.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page