Different Dual Subs Question? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok here goes.
Is it actually bad to add a second sub to my system that doesn't match the primary sub in size or watts or is it just not preferred?
I have a 20l x15w x12h three walled sunken living area open to the rest of the house above.
The setup is all in a floor to ceiling full wall built-in bookshelf.
Sharp 65" SE LCD,
Pioneer Elite SC-67 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-62fd
Mac Mini media server and Apple TV
Klipsch RB 61 II l/r and RB 52 II center
Ceiling Klipschs for the surrounds
Paradigm 14" DSP-3400 Sub on the front wall below and right of the TV

I'm 90% happy with the way it all sounds now but every time I tweak something it just gets better.
I sold the Yamaha Aventage and got the Pioneer SC-67and that really helped everything. (probably just a setup issue and aesthetics but still its gooood)
I finally ran the PBK (had it for a year) on the Paradigm sub and wow. What a difference! Really tamed the response curve. No more BOOM
My wife even likes it a LOT now.

But while sounding MUCH better, the PBK software revealed a significant suckout of response centering at around 100hz that it helped but couldn't totally fix.
My thinking was to attempt to round out the sound by getting another smaller Paradigm PBK enabled sub (maybe a 10" or an SE) in a sealed cabinet to bring different strengths to the game.
My logic told me that the big 14" DSP-3400 with the ports would handle the bottom end and then a sealed 10" could add punch to the middle and hopefully fill the suckout hole at 100hz
I don't have the room to go bigger than a 10" cabinet because of location constraints and that is even pushing it with the wife. I am even thinking about a Milleniasub just for its form factor which would really be the best scenario as I could hide it between the couch and the short wall.

The DSP-3400, though huge, fits perfectly in its dedicated cubby next to the equipment shelves and really it sounds good now... but I know it can get better.
Then I spoke to a salesman about all this who told me no,no,no. That I shouldn't do this. But was he just trying to sell me two new Sub 12s?

So... back to my question... is it considered death to have two different subs in the same room - or is it really no big deal and just might work.
It would be nice to hear from the theorists and hopefully someone who has tried this as well.
Thanks

By the way my AVR has 2 sub outs for the main zone if that makes a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-23-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 388
It might or might not work well. It depends on a lot of factors. However, if you expect to drop in a 2nd sub in a random location, plug it into your receiver, run an automated setup and get the desired results you're probably barking up a tree. Even with 2 identical subs there's no guarantee of good results expecting automation to sort it out. Good results usually require a lot of repeated cycles of measurement and adjustments.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-23-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgaiduk View Post

My logic told me that the big 14" DSP-3400 with the ports would handle the bottom end and then a sealed 10" could add punch to the middle and hopefully fill the suckout hole at 100hz
Logical, yes. But incorrect. That's not how it works. If there's a suckout it's caused by room modes, and room modes are fixed with proper sub placement and/or using multiple identical subs. Suckout at 100Hz probably indicates either the sub or listening position is about 2.8 feet from a boundary, and that should be an easy fix. Incorrect polarity on the sub is another possibility.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-23-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Actually you are correct. I am impressed. The big sub is about 18" in from the right front wall. It is unfortunately inside fixed cabinetry however. The planned location for the second sub was the left rear of the room or "caddy corner". My location options are very inflexible and I consider myself lucky that my response curve looks as good as it does and that it sounds as good as it does. I'm just trying to tease out a little more sound.
It sounds like the acoustics of the room may be a bigger obstacle than mismatched subwoofers if I am reading between the lines correctly?
post #5 of 5 Old 12-23-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgaiduk View Post

It sounds like the acoustics of the room may be a bigger obstacle than mismatched subwoofers if I am reading between the lines correctly?
The acoustics is always the 800 pound gorilla in the room. Adding a second sub is usually the best cure. Introducing the variable of a different sub just complicates matters even more.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page