Issue with my new Paradigm Monitor 12 sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-27-2012, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When playing my system at low to moderate volumes the signal produced by the sub will be intermittent. I have it positioned fairly close to my listening position, and when the signal cuts back in there is a soft popping sound that I can often hear. This tends to happen every couple or few seconds.

When the volume is turned up (or if there is a lot more bass content) the signal will stay on continuously and the sub sounds terrific. The intermittent signal occurs primarily when watching TV because I tend to listen at a lower volume than when watching a movie on disc. If I turn off the amp (shutting down the speakers) the cutting in and out of the subwoofer is very obvious.

The sub is being fed by an Onkyo PR-SC5509 processor. I'm using the Blue Jeans LC-1 cable.

Do any other Monitor 12 owners notice this issue? Anything I can do to correct it, besides cranking up the subwoofer level (I won't sacrifice an accurate response to mitigate this)? Is there a firmware upgrade for the sub?

For my movie viewing it isn't an issue at all, but I can't imagine Paradigm intended for the sub to function this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 350
What do you have the subwoofer trim level set at in your receiver? What about the gain knob on your subwoofer, what do you have that set for?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 11 Old 12-28-2012, 06:27 AM

Liked: 11
Sounds like the auto turn-on feature isn't very sensitive on that sub?? I'd guess the trim setting on your Receiver is set way to low and/or your crossover setting is lower than 80Hz. My sub did the same thing when I had my gain set way to high on my SvS PB10-NSD and Audyssey set my sub trim level to -10db.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-01-2013, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

I tried setting the level in the processor at +7, then reducing the volume on the sub accordingly to return to the same output. It helped some but is still less than acceptable. In fact it's driving me nuts. I have the crossover set at 70hz (I could localize it at 80hz).

I think I'm going to try returning the sub. At this point I want a sub that can be switched to full on (no signal sensing) or that switches on with a 12v trigger. It's a shame because otherwise the sub sounds great, and it's built in Canada!
post #5 of 11 Old 01-01-2013, 05:08 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimbaud View Post

I tried setting the level in the processor at +7, then reducing the volume on the sub accordingly to return to the same output. It helped some but is still less than acceptable. In fact it's driving me nuts. I have the crossover set at 70hz (I could localize it at 80hz).
I think I'm going to try returning the sub. At this point I want a sub that can be switched to full on (no signal sensing) or that switches on with a 12v trigger. It's a shame because otherwise the sub sounds great, and it's built in Canada!

As a suggestion, increase your signal strength by adding a "Y" splitter. Attach both subwoofer input connections to the "Y" splitter and then attach the "Y" splitter to the subwoofer cable and see if this fixes the signal strength problem.

Be aware, doing this will increase your signal strength by about 3dB - 5dB so you may need to turn the gain down at the subwoofer to compensate for the expected volume increase the above suggestion will cause.

-
post #6 of 11 Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 PM

Liked: 10
I'm having the exact same problem with my brand new Monitor 12. It is driving me insane! I've been able to replicate the problem by increasing/decreasing the input levels. The sub turns off primarily with speech and other low level inputs. there is then a very slight popping sound when it comes back on(infuriating!). If I increase the LFE level or turn the gain all the way up, it will stay on. Trouble is, it's far too boomy - even with the crossover below 80. My plan is to call the dealer in the morning and see about returning the thing altogether. Whatever Paradigm is using for sensing a signal is not good enough...which is too bad since the overall performance is quite good. Any suggestions for a replacement?
p.s. I tried the splitter idea - no change.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wheeler View Post

I'm having the exact same problem with my brand new Monitor 12. It is driving me insane! I've been able to replicate the problem by increasing/decreasing the input levels. The sub turns off primarily with speech and other low level inputs. there is then a very slight popping sound when it comes back on(infuriating!). If I increase the LFE level or turn the gain all the way up, it will stay on. Trouble is, it's far too boomy - even with the crossover below 80. My plan is to call the dealer in the morning and see about returning the thing altogether. Whatever Paradigm is using for sensing a signal is not good enough...which is too bad since the overall performance is quite good. Any suggestions for a replacement?

Thanks for posting Joe. I'd already decided to return my Monitor 12, but this helps affirm my decision as being the right one.

I purchased a SVS SB12-NSD sub before this one and found the quality control to be lacking, so I'm a little gun-shy about going with internet-direct (and Chinese-built) at this point. I'd love a Paradigm Studio Sub 12 but can't afford it. It has a 12v trigger option, and of course I could use the PBK I already purchased for the Monitor 12. I definitely want to stick with a sealed sub for my smaller room and listening tastes.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wheeler View Post

The Y adapter didn't resolve the issue? That's surprising because hooking it up that way effectively doubles the input sensitivity, which almost always does the trick.

Is there an always-on setting for the power, or is it just auto? It's hard to tell by the spec's they have published, but it seems as though auto might be the only setting.

Another thing to try would be turn the subwoofer gain up to around 75% and then lower the subwoofer trim setting in your receiver an equivalent amount. That might assist with the sub staying on, while also mitigating the boominess.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #9 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 AM

Prognosis, the auto on function is defective. We need to go in. and this time we're going in uncompressed; BluRay.

-
post #10 of 11 Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

I returned the sub to the dealer. A Paradigm rep happened to be there at the same time, and he said if the signal was cutting out while the blue light remained on then the sub was defective. That was exactly what was happening with mine. The dealer offered a swap for a new Monitor 12 sub or store credit. After mine and Joe's experience I no longer trusted that model.

Paradigm was the only sub manufacturer the dealer carried that I was interested in. I wanted to stay with a sealed unit, and after some listening, reading, and debating I settled on the Seismic 110. I originally had no intention to go with a 10" unit but I couldn't afford the Studio 12. And honestly, the 110 didn't sound awesome at the dealer (to be fair, they just did a quick set-up job for me). If I had to reach to this price bracket I would have preferred to wait to check out the new JL Audio E series, but this dealer didn't carry JL Audio, and so I felt hostage to the situation.

Fortunately, after just some quick tweaking the sub sounds better in my room than it did at the dealer. I haven't even run PBK or Audyssey yet. This sub is built like a tank (heavy aluminum enclosure)! I was going to hook it up with a 12v trigger, but the shop was out of the mono cables. So I switched it to auto-on, and even at low levels / light bass content it hasn't cut out once. I still would have like to compare it to the new JL Audio 12", but it is a relief to have a properly working and good sounding sub.

So BeeMan, you were right.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-03-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimbaud View Post

So BeeMan, you were right.

.......eek.gif

.......biggrin.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers