RCA connectors too big to fit through floor...thinner options for extending cable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am trying to hook up a subwoofer across the room from my receiver, and I have a hole in my floor by the subwoofer that is about the size of a pencil, so I cannot fit the ends of the RCA cables through the hole, but the actual wire would fit easily. My first thought was to cut the RCA cable, feed it through the hole and then splice it back together in the basement....but I wasn't having much luck getting the solder to stick to the wires and was a bit concerned about the outer and inner RCA wires coming into contact with one another...

So, here is my question...

Is there any way to extend RCA (audio Red/White) cables, but with a narrower connector than the standard RCA ends? Would converting to 3.5mm on both ends ruin the audio quality? Any other ideas?

I know this is probably an unusual question, but I really don't want to make the hole in my floor bigger if I don't have too, as I have refinished hardwood floors. Thanks for any help or ideas anyone has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-28-2012, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I would get a coaxial cable, preferably RG6 quad shield. You can buy an RCA attachment that goes on the end of coax. I don't know exactly where to get it, but I have some. They come in two parts. One attaches to the end of the cable and makes a BNC connection, the other is the RCA connection and it has two little bumps on it and it inserts and twists onto the bnc attachment. Too bad you don't live near me or I would give you a pair.

I think these may help...
http://www.newark.com/aim-cambridge/25-7510/rf-coaxial-adapter-rca-jack-bnc/dp/54M7978?in_merch=Popular%20RF/Coaxials

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=soho&cs=ussoho1&sku=A0479606&ST=SO_Desktop%20Accessories&dgc=ST&cid=248711&lid=4318526&acd=s_pla_SO43
post #3 of 20 Old 12-28-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMich97 View Post

My first thought was to cut the RCA cable, feed it through the hole and then splice it back together in the basement.....
It would be a lot easier to cut the connector off the sub end, feed it through the hole, then put on a new connector.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 20 Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 AM

Liked: 10
Google DIY RCA Interconnects.. Build a set of RCA. Like these below and run the wire thru and last put the RCA ends on.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/diySilver/

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/DIY-Shielded-RCA-Interconnect-Cables/
post #5 of 20 Old 12-30-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I would get a coaxial cable, preferably RG6 quad shield. You can buy an RCA attachment that goes on the end of coax. I don't know exactly where to get it, but I have some. They come in two parts. One attaches to the end of the cable and makes a BNC connection, the other is the RCA connection and it has two little bumps on it and it inserts and twists onto the bnc attachment. Too bad you don't live near me or I would give you a pair.
I think these may help...
http://www.newark.com/aim-cambridge/25-7510/rf-coaxial-adapter-rca-jack-bnc/dp/54M7978?in_merch=Popular%20RF/Coaxials
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=soho&cs=ussoho1&sku=A0479606&ST=SO_Desktop%20Accessories&dgc=ST&cid=248711&lid=4318526&acd=s_pla_SO43

Thanks KidHorn...

So, would I just connect the Newark part onto the end of a coax cable and then the Dell part onto that one? I'm not familiar with BNC, so not 100% clear on this one. I do like the idea of not having to solder anything, as I was having a really hard time trying to solder a couple wires together the other night (just not my strong suit I guess).

Bill / mantha3,

Thanks for your help as well. Some very good points and suggestions (which I may inevitably use), but hoping to find a way to do this without soldering anything (if possible), since I don't seem to be very good at soldering (or just not using the right metals or something).
post #6 of 20 Old 12-31-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, would I just connect the Newark part onto the end of a coax cable and then the Dell part onto that one?

Yes. That's exactly what you would do. As someone mentioned above, you may want to buy a RG6 coaxial subwoofer cable and then cut off one end and fit the pieces only on the cut end after feeding the cable. It will make things easier. Also, you'll need to be careful whenever you pull on the plug. Mine have come loose fairly easily. It's not hard to put back together again, but you should try to avoid it.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

OK, cool.

So, with that said, wondering if I could just use one of these?

http://www.cablingplus.com/products/fs59rcau-icm-rg59-compression-rca-connector

....on some RG59 cable I have already.

Also curious on any suggestions for a cheap way to strip RG59 or RG6, as most of the tools I've been seeing online run around $30.

Thanks again!
post #8 of 20 Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

OK, cool.

Also curious on any suggestions for a cheap way to strip RG59 or RG6, as most of the tools I've been seeing online run around $30.

Thanks again!

Check locally? Radio Shack etc. It's better to be able to strip and terminate the end correctly. You don't want a sloppy end.

ymmv.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

Check locally? Radio Shack etc. It's better to be able to strip and terminate the end correctly. You don't want a sloppy end.
ymmv.

Thanks for the suggestion....searched Radio Shack and found this one for $11:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102872
post #10 of 20 Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, cool.
Thanks again!

I guess that would work too. Not sure how to connect one of those.
post #11 of 20 Old 12-31-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

I guess that would work too. Not sure how to connect one of those.

You'd need a compression tool in addition to that cable stripper.

A possible solution that doesn't involve making your own cables would be to use a 3.5 mm headphone cable. The ends are usally smaller than an RCA jacks. Use headphone to RCA cables to connect it to your receiver and subwoofer. You'd only need mono cables, but stereo cables may be easier to find and cheaper.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-31-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

So, could my solution actually be this simple:

Buy one of these:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021817&p_id=9769&seq=1&format=2

Connect the dual RCA's to my sub, feed the 3.5mm end through the holes and then connect one of these to the 3.5mm tip and thus into my AVR after it is through the holes:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042902&p_id=7241&seq=1&format=2

If I could do it that simple, that would be great!
post #13 of 20 Old 01-01-2013, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

A possible solution that doesn't involve making your own cables would be to use a 3.5 mm headphone cable. The ends are usally smaller than an RCA jacks. Use headphone to RCA cables to connect it to your receiver and subwoofer. You'd only need mono cables, but stereo cables may be easier to find and cheaper.

You can always try it, but coaxial cable is preferred for subwoofers. Subwoofers have issues that no other speakers have in that their cables can pick up a 60Hz hum from your electrical wiring and then amplify it. Coaxial cable will have a shield to help protect the central conductor from this.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-01-2013, 04:33 AM

Liked: 801
A sharp (new) drill bit being used to expand an existing hole, isn't going damage the finish of a floor. Any fresh edges can easily be touched up with readily available stains and furniture finish touch-up sticks.

Cruise your local hardware store, grab an old guy that's a clerk and tell them your story. They'll get you going in a heartbeat.

-
post #15 of 20 Old 01-01-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You can always try it, but coaxial cable is preferred for subwoofers. Subwoofers have issues that no other speakers have in that their cables can pick up a 60Hz hum from your electrical wiring and then amplify it. Coaxial cable will have a shield to help protect the central conductor from this.

Would the 3.5mm be more susceptible to the hum than standard cheap RCA wire? When I use the cheap RCA wire (running across the room to test), it's fine. ...just wondering if the 3.5mm would be more likely to have issues or not. If not, I'll give it a shot. If it's more likely to have an issue, I'll just have to decide if I want to give it a shot or not.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-01-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would the 3.5mm be more susceptible to the hum than standard cheap RCA wire?
No. Why is this thread still going on? Cut the RCA off the end of the cable you have, put it through the hole, put a new connector on. If you can't solder it use a solder-less connector.

post #17 of 20 Old 01-01-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

No. Why is this thread still going on? Cut the RCA off the end of the cable you have, put it through the hole, put a new connector on. If you can't solder it use a solder-less connector.

Bill, thanks for your help, but I'm new to this and looking to learn as I go, so that's why I've had multiple questions. ...and so here is the dilemma/question. I currently have the following cables:

This long RCA cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021803&p_id=2008&seq=1&format=2

Then this RCA splitter to go into my AVR:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021803&p_id=663&seq=1&format=2

If I cut the end off the long cable, I would need a solderless connection for that thin RCA cable, which I would need to know where to get one, as my googling didn't find one.

If I switch and use Coax (RG6 or RG59) cable, then I need to buy both a tool to strip the cable and also a compression tool to attach the fitting (from what I understand), which starts to add up ($40-$50 maybe)....not to mention Coax not being a very flexible cable to bend through holes, etc. So, if the 3.5mm works and I can just buy a cheap 3.5mm cable ($3) and convert that ($1), I accomplish everything for around $5 and use a thinner cable than Coax, while avoiding soldering and avoiding stripping wires.
post #18 of 20 Old 01-01-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eofc6569qqI

post #19 of 20 Old 01-02-2013, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would the 3.5mm be more susceptible to the hum than standard cheap RCA wire? When I use the cheap RCA wire (running across the room to test), it's fine. ...just wondering if the 3.5mm would be more likely to have issues or not. If not, I'll give it a shot. If it's more likely to have an issue, I'll just have to decide if I want to give it a shot or not.

Probably not, but 3.5mm cables are typically very thin and you may run into a resistance issue if the run is long. Like I said, you can try it out and see if it works. If it doesn't, you're only out a few bucks.
post #20 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page