50% Music, 50% movies. Will this be a good idea for a dual SVS set up? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I watch lots of Music BD's and about the same with movies. I also want to build a better music set up in My Dedicated theater room.
its 15x 30 x 8.5 high. I used the old SGTHT spread sheet to find the best room size and seating position for all my seats
which is suppose to eliminate any nulls.

My Speakers are Phase Tech. i had the PC3's but just got an older pair of PC 800's for the LR fronts.

So I have decided on SVS for my subs after hearing Cliif's SVS dual subs in his Theater with the G90 CRT stack. Its just sick!!

But he has ported, as he watches more movies and gaming.

So I was thinking if I should go with:

Dual SB12 NSD's

Or a single PB12 NSD and a single SB12 NDS( my thinking I'll get the best of both in this set up.

Is my line of thinking wrong or just a little off?

Athanasios
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 587
My basement HT space is ~15' x 30' x 7.5' = ~3,375 cu.ft. I had one PB12-NSD in it and considered getting a second. (I ended up with dual ChaseHT SS-18.1s instead.) In your space, I would consider dual PB12-NSDs at a minimum.

For a little more money, dual PSA XV-15s ($799/ea., shipped) would be a very solid option.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Your area is big. I, like you have a ton of music DVD's and Blurays. (I like Phase Tech, btw, had a pair of them about 7 years ago).
I like sealed subs for music. I did have a pair of Epik Legends, and they were fabulous with music. (in an 1,800 cu ft enclosed
listening area). Currently I'm running a pair of PSA XV-15s, and I must say they are pretty tight, with a lot of output, and not
much hangover from being ported. Great with music IMO. $799 as per above, and 5% discount with duals.

I really think this sub gives you the best of both worlds, as in music and home theater. JMO

vardo
Old 12-29-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the replies so far. Thing is my Screen wall is tight. the Phase tech PC 800's take up the sides. I have the PC33 center and the Adcom 3 Channel Amp on the floor up front.
The screen comes down to just above the hight of the PB12 . those other subs I looked at are too tall. They'd get in the way of the screen.

So what i want to ask has anyone done what I propose use two different style of Subs, ported and Sealed in the same space?

I really dont want to put the Sub in the back or sides( no room near the seating area either).

Athanasios
Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I use sealed subs with my XV-15's. They are dual Dayton Titanic MK3 10" sealed subs, 14" cubed.
The reason I use them tho is because my room is 20'L and I sit near the middle, thus a null in sound.

Each Dayton sits behind my two home theater recliners. And the gain is set at a very low level.

But that doesn't answer your question. You want to combine sealed, and ported together as your
"main subs", and personally I think that will present problems, trying them to play nice together.

Someone else may chime in with better advice. I know there has to be someone out their that
has dual subs, one ported and one sealed, and they could give you their impression of
them being their main subs.

vardo
Old 12-31-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I just called SVS and talked with Doug. He actually recommended for my listening style and level to get dual PB1000's.

I think this is how I am going to go. Ill save some coin and an additional 5% for the dual sub savings they give.

Thanks for the responses.

Happy New year!!!

Athanasios