SVS SB12-NSD or PB-1000 ?! - AVS Forum
1 2 
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > SVS SB12-NSD or PB-1000 ?!
Dayter's Avatar Dayter 04:55 AM 12-30-2012
Hey guys ..

For a 2nd HT setup in a room of 20' * 16' dimensions ...

I 've heard that this new PB-1000 resembles in every way the bigger brother PB-12 NSD without its ultimate loudness capabilities .

Which of these two would be better , the sealed compact SB-12 NSD or the new ported PB-1000 ?

lamonsasa's Avatar lamonsasa 08:14 AM 12-30-2012
call svs , they will explain to you the difference.. the pb12 nsd is 60% more subwoofer than the pb1000, the 1000 doesnt have the punch or extension that the pb12 has, the pb12 has more power, larger woofer, it just cant be the same..
eljaycanuck's Avatar eljaycanuck 09:56 AM 12-30-2012
Quote:
... it just cant be the same..
It isn't the same but, according to Ed Mullen of SVS, it is similar:
Quote:
The PB-1000 performance envelope (FR, max output, bandwidth uniformity) is similar to the PB12-NSD - it just can't play quite as loud. So if you love the PB12-NSD's overall performance characteristics, you'll feel right at home with a PB-1000.

lamonsasa's Avatar lamonsasa 10:00 AM 12-30-2012
i read that also when i was buying my pb12 and i called svs and spoke to doug and jack as well, they said that its not the same and it cant be the same, a 10 inch woofer cant sound the same as a 12 inch woofer, also, the pb12 has the top peerless woofer while the pb1000 has a similar peerless woofer but not the same one, again, quality of components. yes the 1000 is great im sure, but it cant be the same as the pb12, if it was the same there would be no pb12. and it doesnt just play louder, it plays deeper and has more punch due to the 12 inch woofer vs 10 inch.
eljaycanuck's Avatar eljaycanuck 10:03 AM 12-30-2012
Quote:
yes the 1000 is great im sure, but it cant be the same as the pb12 ...
It's not the same, it's similar. I'm happy to take Ed Mullen's word for it. YMMV, of course. smile.gif
lamonsasa's Avatar lamonsasa 10:06 AM 12-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

It's not the same, it's similar. I'm happy to take Ed Mullen's word for it. YMMV, of course. smile.gif

lol did u not read what i said, i spoke to not only Ed, but also with Dough and Jack from SVS when i was buying my pb12. they said its similar but not the same, im quoting what they said to me , " the pb12 is 60% more subwoofer than the pb1000", you can call them and they will tell you the same thing lol. and not only in regards of output, but extension and thump in the chest power due to the size of the woofer.

its all good man im just trying to post a fact( Fact directly from SVS), not an opinion.
CHASLS2's Avatar CHASLS2 11:18 AM 12-30-2012
I have a new SB12 NSD coming this week. Size was the main factor, so i sold my PB12-NSD.
NewToHT's Avatar NewToHT 11:38 AM 12-30-2012
You all are off.... The OP asked which would be better for his situation...The New PB-100 or the SB-12NSD....... NOT THE PB-12.....!!

With that said......call SVS biggrin.gif
Prime316's Avatar Prime316 11:43 AM 12-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToHT View Post

You all are off.... The OP asked which would be better for his situation...The New PB-100 or the SB-12NSD....... NOT THE PB-12.....!!
With that said......call SVS biggrin.gif

When you're right, you're right. It seems that everyone wants to justify their purchases as the best. That's how a lot of people here get equipment they neither want nor need.
lamonsasa's Avatar lamonsasa 12:59 PM 12-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

When you're right, you're right. It seems that everyone wants to justify their purchases as the best. That's how a lot of people here get equipment they neither want nor need.

lol biggrin.gif

i was just trying to tell the OP that the pb1000 and pb12 nsd are not in the same league due to several key factors which i mentioned above.
Dayter's Avatar Dayter 01:13 PM 12-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

lol biggrin.gif
i was just trying to tell the OP that the pb1000 and pb12 nsd are not in the same league due to several key factors which i mentioned above.

GUYYYYYYS !!

I was asking about the difference between the SB-12 NSD and the PB1000 not the PB-12 NSD !!! .. Just as NewToHT said ..

I'm wondering if the PB-1000 is somewhat resembling the bigger brother PB-12 NSD in terms of extension , accuracy and response , how would the Pb-1000 compare to the sealed SB12-NSD model from the other family ... ?!
Prime316's Avatar Prime316 01:32 PM 12-30-2012
Quote:

lol biggrin.gif

Lol, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayter View Post

GUYYYYYYS !!
I was asking about the difference between the SB-12 NSD and the PB1000 not the PB-12 NSD !!! .. Just as NewToHT said ..
I'm wondering if the PB-1000 is somewhat resembling the bigger brother PB-12 NSD in terms of extension , accuracy and response , how would the Pb-1000 compare to the sealed SB12-NSD model from the other family ... ?!

Just as he told you. It's best to call Svs to see what they have to say once you tell them your needs for the sub.
Dayter's Avatar Dayter 01:48 PM 12-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Just as he told you. It's best to call Svs to see what they have to say once you tell them your needs for the sub.

I think i'LL bother them . I've talked to them too many times regarding a similar issue but was comparing the PB-12 NSD TO SB12-NSD , paired to my paradigm MilleniaOne 5.1 setup in a small room , and the preferred the SB-12 Nsd for the low dynamic capabilities of the satellites as well as my listening room small space (1100 cubic feet .. Now , i'm gonna install another HT room , with the Paradigm's Studio 20 line in a larger room , and wanna compare these , especially if you know that I'm preparing to have another PB-12 NSD for this room in future .... smile.gif
Trace79's Avatar Trace79 06:57 PM 12-30-2012
When I was considering my purchase with SVS, Doug from SVS specifically told me that the SB12-NSD, and SB-1000 would be more accurate in the 40-80Hz range but even the SB12-NSD wouldn't have the output of the PB-1000 at low ranges below 35Hz...something needed in electronic music as well as movies. Also, he said the tightness and accuracy between the SB and PB lines would be minimally noticeable without a trained ear.

Something to think about.
Dayter's Avatar Dayter 04:38 PM 12-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace79 View Post

When I was considering my purchase with SVS, Doug from SVS specifically told me that the SB12-NSD, and SB-1000 would be more accurate in the 40-80Hz range but even the SB12-NSD wouldn't have the output of the PB-1000 at low ranges below 35Hz...

So , here is the first in goal reply smile.gif

It does mean that the PB-1000 will outgun the SB-12 NSD at low frequencies regarding power output , although the PB-1000 is pushing 300 rms extending to 19 HZ while the SB-12 NSD is pushing 400 rms and extending to 23 hz down ...

is this right ?
nashou66's Avatar nashou66 04:54 PM 12-31-2012
I just got off the phone with Doug. I wanted to try out two different subs a ported and Sealed and he told me not to go that route. And actually told me to go with dual PB1000's. He said they
do excellent musically and will have the extension I want for movies. I dont listen very loud and even with my large close to 4k cubic foot room he said these will do fine.

So looks like Im going dual PB1000's when I save the dough.

So the SB 12 is 649, the PB1000 is 499 but two PB1000's are 949. For 300 dollars more than the SB 12 I think its a great buy with the dual PB1000's.

maybe you should go that route?

Athanasios
lamonsasa's Avatar lamonsasa 05:03 PM 12-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

I just got off the phone with Doug. I wanted to try out two different subs a ported and Sealed and he told me not to go that route. And actually told me to go with dual PB1000's. He said they
do excellent musically and will have the extension I want for movies. I dont listen very loud and even with my large close to 4k cubic foot room he said these will do fine.
So the SB 12 is 649, the PB1000 is 499 but two PB1000's are 949. For 300 dollars more than the SB 12 I think its a great buy with the dual PB1000's.
Athanasios

yes 2 pb1000s are even better than a single pb12 so thats a good way to go.
Auditor55's Avatar Auditor55 05:05 PM 12-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace79 View Post

When I was considering my purchase with SVS, Doug from SVS specifically told me that the SB12-NSD, and SB-1000 would be more accurate in the 40-80Hz range but even the SB12-NSD wouldn't have the output of the PB-1000 at low ranges below 35Hz...something needed in electronic music as well as movies. Also, he said the tightness and accuracy between the SB and PB lines would be minimally noticeable without a trained ear.
Something to think about.

If he's telling you that, why would anyone ever buy there more expensive SB12-NSD?
nashou66's Avatar nashou66 05:15 PM 12-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

If he's telling you that, why would anyone ever buy there more expensive SB12-NSD?

For the accuracy in the 40-80hz range.

Athanasios
Dayter's Avatar Dayter 05:23 PM 12-31-2012
Quote:

Athanasios

It seems so dude ...

I was thinking of having another PB-12 NSD in the future so I think the PB-1000 would blend accurately with this intention . Second to your choice . smile.gif

But what does you mean by the SB-12 NSD having more accuracy at the 40-80 hz range ?

I couldn't get that , and why ......
nashou66's Avatar nashou66 05:30 PM 12-31-2012
Quote:

It seems so dude ...
I was thinking of having another PB-12 NSD in the future so I think the PB-1000 would blend accurately with this intention . Second to your choice . smile.gif
But what does you mean by the SB-12 NSD having more accuracy at the 40-80 hz range ?
I couldn't get that , and why ......

A few post's back Trace79 said the SB series is more accurate in that range as told by SVS's Doug. So
you wont get the output of the PB series going with the SB series but you gain accuracy.

Athanasios
Auditor55's Avatar Auditor55 05:30 PM 12-31-2012
Quote:

For the accuracy in the 40-80hz range.
Athanasios

It was also stated:
Quote:
Also, he said the tightness and accuracy between the SB and PB lines would be minimally noticeable without a trained ear.

That statement sounds like you need be some kind of golden ear audiophile to distinguish a difference. Again, based on what SVS is telling you, it doesn't make a lot of sense to purchase an SB12-NSD at $150 dollars more.
Dayter's Avatar Dayter 05:37 PM 12-31-2012
Quote:

A few post's back Trace79 said the SB series is more accurate in that range as told by SVS's Doug. So
you wont get the output of the PB series going with the SB series but you gain accuracy.
Athanasios

So , it means that the ported PB-1000 subwoofer (rated 300w r.m.s) is pushing more power output at all frequencies than the sealed SB-12 Nsd ( rated 400 r.m.s) .. ?!!

Is this correct ? !
Quote:

It was also stated:
That statement sounds like you need be some kind of golden ear audiophile to distinguish a difference. Again, based on what SVS is telling you, it doesn't make a lot of sense to purchase an SB12-NSD at $150 dollars more.

Sure , how to justify paying 150$ more for a subwoofer which would be less powered (according to claims here) , with the only benefit of having more accuracy at the range of 40-80 hz with a die hard audiophile ear .. ?!!!

Weird ...
nashou66's Avatar nashou66 06:05 PM 12-31-2012
Not sure but i'll go out on a limb. For one the NSD series uses better materials, woofers, electronics etc. And with the larger woofer you probably get a louder sub along with the larger amp power rating. The extension might not be as low but the you gain accuracy.
I bet you don't have to have a golden ear to tell the difference if you try to achieve the same volume level in DB's from both subs.At that point the PB1000 would
probably not be able to keep up.

I can't see the level the Sb NSD goes to but the PB1000 is just above 90 DB's, I thinkt he SB NSD hits closer to 100 DB's before dropping off, But the Graph is not clear
on the web site.

Athanasios
lamonsasa's Avatar lamonsasa 06:08 PM 12-31-2012
Quote:

So , it means that the ported PB-1000 subwoofer (rated 300w r.m.s) is pushing more power output at all frequencies than the sealed SB-12 Nsd ( rated 400 r.m.s) .. ?!!
Is this correct ? !
Sure , how to justify paying 150$ more for a subwoofer which would be less powered (according to claims here) , with the only benefit of having more accuracy at the range of 40-80 hz with a die hard audiophile ear .. ?!!!
Weird ...

some people dont like ported subs because of their size, thats why they buy sealed subwoofers.
Dayter's Avatar Dayter 06:10 PM 12-31-2012
Quote:

Not sure but i'll go out on a limb. For one the NSD series uses better materials, woofers, electronics etc. And with the larger woofer you probably get a louder sub along with the larger amp power rating. The extension might not be as low but the you gain accuracy.
I bet you don't have to have a golden ear to tell the difference if you try to achieve the same volume level in DB's from both subs.At that point the PB1000 would
probably not be able to keep up.

So , how would they claim that the SB-12 NSD would outperform the PB-1000 only in terms of accuracy ? it should also excel in power as well ........ !
Dayter's Avatar Dayter 06:12 PM 12-31-2012
Quote:

some people dont like ported subs because of their size, thats why they buy sealed subwoofers.

So , you mean that the ported is better than sealed even if a certain ported sub is having smaller woofer , weaker amp than the sealed competitive ? It's the case here ... smile.gif
nashou66's Avatar nashou66 06:22 PM 12-31-2012
They are slightly different sounding. Some say Ported sound Boomy while Sealed sound musical.

That is why Doug told me not to mix a ported with a sealed in a dual set up. He also told
me the dual SB12 NSD would go louder but not as deep as the dual PB1000's( due to the ports) but
since I do not listen at loud levels( close to reference) the PB1000's would be good enough for my needs and save me some money.
Aslo they have a nice upgrade policy, so if these aren't my cup of tea I can return them for a different sub/s.

I think the best bet would to call and ask. He should still be answering. I was usprised he answered and talked to at 6pm new years eve ! biggrin.gif

Nashou
CHASLS2's Avatar CHASLS2 06:23 PM 12-31-2012
Quote:

Someone like me. With the changes i am making to my bedroom i was forced to sell my bigger PB12 NSD for the much smaller SB12 NSD. I should get it this Wends.
Dayter's Avatar Dayter 06:27 PM 12-31-2012
Quote:

They are slightly different sounding. Some say Ported sound Boomy while Sealed sound musical.
That is why Doug told me not to mix a ported with a sealed in a dual set up. He also told
me the dual SB12 NSD would go louder but not as deep as the dual PB1000's( due to the ports) but
since I do not listen at loud levels( close to reference) the PB1000's would be good enough for my needs and save me some money.
Aslo they have a nice upgrade policy, so if these aren't my cup of tea I can return them for a different sub/s.
I think the best bet would to call and ask. He should still be answering. I was usprised he answered and talked to at 6pm new years eve ! biggrin.gif
Nashou

I will . but I'm in Egypt . and such technical call would cost me all my christmas money tongue.gif

hmm.. I think I would finally go with a PB-12 NSD ... it got the AUDIOHOLICS bassaholic large room rating , which means that it would provide adequate headroom in rooms ranging from 3000-5000 cubic feet and people listening at high levels ( like me) .... pretty promising reviews ...

Happy new year . smile.gif
Tags: Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer
1 2 

Up
Mobile  Desktop