Is my Behringer Feedback Destroyer Obsolete with Audessy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am finally upgrading components in my Home Theatre after 8 years. I have a Behringer Feedback destroyer that I use strictly as an multi EQ for my SVS subwoofer. It is in between the subwoofer output on my Denon 3803 receiver and the sub itself. I set it up measuring tones 20 hz to 120 hz with a SPL meter to account for my room variances and get a fairly flat curve. Is this type of setup now obsolete if I setup using a newer AVR with Audessy or would it still serve a purpose? thanks for any help. Jeff.

I'm Jeff and I approve this message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-01-2013, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
As near as I can figure it, the BFD does only a part of what Audyssey can do. The feedback destroyer can cut (or boost) specific frequency ranges. It does a good job as a parametric equalizer. Audyssey, though, corrects not only in the frequency domain but in the time domain. It corrects more room issues than simple deviations from flat frequency response.

In short, your BFD (and mine) don't seem to have much of a role to play anymore. That being said, if you like it, or want more freedom to experiment with EQ curves, or for that matter if you just really love using REW, I don't see the harm. I suppose you could even use both methods of equalization, taking your FR close to flat with the BFD and then letting Audyssey fine tune things. I would suggest that if you do this you treat the BFD as a part of the sub, and follow the general advice that once you leave all sub settings alone after running Audyssey.

post #3 of 4 Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I have just recently now "upgraded " to the newer Denon 3313. I had upgraded my projector and some players and was needing to upgrade to HDMI from all my old DVI connections. My intentions was to keep the Behringer inline between the AVR and SVS Sub as a multi eq to ensure a flat curve through the lower ranges where room setup and furniture can really impact those (essentially same purpose it always had). Then run audessy setup and let the AVR/Audessy run the show. Sound ok, or no improvement to Audessy on its own?

Essentially what you are suggesting here:
"I suppose you could even use both methods of equalization, taking your FR close to flat with the BFD and then letting Audyssey fine tune things. I would suggest that if you do this you treat the BFD as a part of the sub, and follow the general advice that once you leave all sub settings alone after running Audyssey."

I'm Jeff and I approve this message.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 157
AFAIK, a fair number of folks around here run both. The usual advice is feedback destroyer first, then run Audyssey. The worst it can really do is make Audyssey's job easier. So usually no harm, no foul, and some potential for improvement . . . . Unless you're just dying to ebay the Berhinger . . .
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page