NXG Technology NX-BAS-500 12" - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #91 of 173 Old 04-24-2014, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Wow, sold out again?  The folks at NXG should up their production capacity if they wanna make some real cash.  These things sell like hotcakes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 173 Old 05-01-2014, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

I got that email the other day. They are estimating availability as 8 weeks from now...
post #93 of 173 Old 06-13-2014, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jim,

Do you have any plans to review thew F-12 or the PL-200?

Regards,
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Icon13

No offense Jim, but I feel your review lacks credibility as far as budget subwoofers are concerned. You praise the NXG as being the best, but you have admitted to never hearing th F-12, PL-200 or PA-120 (recalling other threads). How can you make opinion/statement on budget subwoofers if you have never even heard the others that are highly regarded in the same class?

And this is not intended as a personal attack; I would be very interested in reading your reviews on the others too.

Making a comment like 'lacks credibility' and then trying to backpedal with 'is not intended as a personal attack' are clearly contradictory statements. But assuming for a minute that your intentions are indeed honorable...

I have an abundant frame of reference on budget subwoofers. That's how I got started in this business, and it's a product category I still review to this day, so there's a lot of historical perspective for me to draw from. And to clarify; not hearing every subwoofer in a particular price segment is irrelevant. That's like saying someone who writes about inexpensive cars has no credibility because he hasn't driven all of them, or at least the ones that you've deemed to be the standard bearers. That last part is significant, because who is to say the 3 you mention actually are the leaders in this market? The F-12 does sell a lot, and seems to have quite a few satisfied owners, but the PL-200 and PA-120 are not huge sellers. They may be good subwoofers but their market share isn't very large, so I'm not sure they constitute the yardstick you seem to feel they do.

I'd also like to know where I said the NXG was the best. I did say "I would have absolutely no problem recommending" it, a sentiment I still maintain, but at no time did I ever say it was the best. There is no such thing - in any category for any product - because different people while have different wants and needs. Given that, there can never really be a best of anything. 'best' is too nebulous for me to use.
post #94 of 173 Old 06-13-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by James004 View Post
Jim,

Do you have any plans to review thew F-12 or the PL-200?

Regards,
James
Sort of; BIC sent me an H-100.

They told me the F-12 and PL-200 had plenty of press already but the H-100 doesn't, so they asked me to look at that one instead. I have it sitting in my other room already, so I'll probably publish that in July.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #95 of 173 Old 06-13-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Sort of; BIC sent me an H-100.

They told me the F-12 and PL-200 had plenty of press already but the H-100 doesn't, so they asked me to look at that one instead. I have it sitting in my other room already, so I'll probably publish that in July.

Thank you. It looks promising. Designed by HSU and specs of Frequency Response: 24Hz - 200Hz (+/-3dB)

non of there other models give the +/-3db in there stated freq response.
It is strange how they have so many similar models.
post #96 of 173 Old 06-25-2014, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
FYI - received from NXG support this evening...

Just wanted to give you the heads-up that the NX-BAS-500 subwoofer is now back in stock at U.S. our distributor.
It should be available immediately from our internet resellers and very soon from our local stocking dealers.
We have an Amazon marketplace partner that is authorized but Amazon themselves are not at this time.

Regards,
NXG Support
post #97 of 173 Old 06-25-2014, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I checked all the online retailer they list on the nxg site but all still have zero stock, is there another option to check other than amazon and the 4 retailers listed on the site?
post #98 of 173 Old 06-25-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docethic View Post
I checked all the online retailer they list on the nxg site but all still have zero stock, is there another option to check other than amazon and the 4 retailers listed on the site?
No, I dont believe so.
post #99 of 173 Old 06-25-2014, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docethic View Post
It's available now on Amazon from AV House

http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

Last edited by squash42; 06-26-2014 at 08:16 AM.
post #100 of 173 Old 06-27-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi guys,

I'm considering this subwoofer (or building one of my own) for my setup but am not in a rush to spend money at this time. I currently have the following equipment:

Onkyo TX NR807
Infinity Primus P362 x 2
Infinity Primus C350
Infinity Primus P163 x 2 (yes, I ended up buying the surrounds late, so they are the "new" version)

The room I have everything in is roughly 18'x18.8', and I'll upload a floor plan if that helps. Ceilings are 9 ft. Floor is carpeted. One long wall is glass and steel and leads to a balcony, while the opposite side has an open bar leading to the kitchen and a foyer leading to the front door. It's not an exact square, and the main viewing/listening area is closer to being 10'x12' with the rest of the area for dining.

Would this sub suit the room? From what I've read on Avsforum and what a friend tells me, if I'm not spending $500-600+ on buying/building a sub then it isn't worth it. I've given serious consideration to that and thought I would wait things out and use the P362 towers for bass, as they supposedly get down to 38Hz. Sadly, I am missing something..I gave away an old HTiaB (onkyo sr 800 I believe) and therefore do not have the included sub anymore and I do feel there is a difference.

I'm hesitant to get a large sub, unless I can do what one avsforum member did and incorporate it into a side table (link). However, they seem rather large for the space I have, based on the existing furniture.

Another possibility is this. On a side note, how long can I make the legs on a down-firing subwoofer? What do I gain/lose in my quest for a side-table sub?

Based on the list of budget subs (link there are a few other options I was looking at, including the various offerings from BiC. Most of these are available below $300, but supposedly have MSRP of $4 - 600.

Thanks!

EDIT: hmm the edit function is not letting me clean this up...

Last edited by zeez; 06-27-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Cleaning up the links and formatting
post #101 of 173 Old 06-27-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeez View Post
Hi guys,

I'm considering this subwoofer (or building one of my own) for my setup but am not in a rush to spend money at this time. I currently have the following equipment:

Onkyo TX NR807
Infinity Primus P362 x 2
Infinity Primus C350
Infinity Primus P163 x 2 (yes, I ended up buying the surrounds late, so they are the "new" version)

The room I have everything in is roughly 18'x18.8', and I'll upload a floor plan if that helps. Ceilings are 9 ft. Floor is carpeted. One long wall is glass and steel and leads to a balcony, while the opposite side has an open bar leading to the kitchen and a foyer leading to the front door. It's not an exact square, and the main viewing/listening area is closer to being 10'x12' with the rest of the area for dining.

Would this sub suit the room? From what I've read on Avsforum and what a friend tells me, if I'm not spending $500-600+ on buying/building a sub then it isn't worth it. I've given serious consideration to that and thought I would wait things out and use the P362 towers for bass, as they supposedly get down to 38Hz. Sadly, I am missing something..I gave away an old HTiaB (onkyo sr 800 I believe) and therefore do not have the included sub anymore and I do feel there is a difference.

I'm hesitant to get a large sub, unless I can do what one avsforum member did and incorporate it into a side table (link). However, they seem rather large for the space I have, based on the existing furniture.

Another possibility is this. On a side note, how long can I make the legs on a down-firing subwoofer? What do I gain/lose in my quest for a side-table sub?

Based on the list of budget subs (link there are a few other options I was looking at, including the various offerings from BiC. Most of these are available below $300, but supposedly have MSRP of $4 - 600.

Thanks!

EDIT: hmm the edit function is not letting me clean this up...
yea its back in stock...is this worth consideration......im thinking of getting one my self.........anybody own one so can have some feed back on this......
post #102 of 173 Old 06-27-2014, 01:54 PM

yea its back in stock...is this worth consideration......im thinking of getting one my self.........anybody own one so can have some feed back on this......thanks....
post #103 of 173 Old 06-27-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo64 View Post
yea its back in stock...is this worth consideration......im thinking of getting one my self.........anybody own one so can have some feed back on this......thanks....
Try reading this thread.
post #104 of 173 Old 06-27-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Onkyo TX NR807
Infinity Primus P362 x 2
Infinity Primus C350

Would this sub suit the room? From what I've read on Avsforum and what a friend tells me, if I'm not spending $500-600+ on buying/building a sub then it isn't worth it. I've given serious consideration to that and thought I would wait things out and use the P362 towers for bass, as they supposedly get down to 38Hz.
I have a passing familiarity with the NXG sub, so I'll take a crack at this one...

Given your room is about 3000 ft^3 my guess is it would be a bit overwhelmed. It will definitely work, and provide bass your towers simply can't, but that much space will leave little in the way of headroom and you might find it runs out of breath when you crank the volume. A pair would certainly be better but then you're getting into the $500 range where you can start looking at an SVS PB1000 or Rythmik LV12R. That would be a different decision then.

What are your goals for this sub? HT, music, some combination of both perhaps? Do you enjoy loud volumes or are your listening habits more subdued?

post #105 of 173 Old 06-27-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I have a passing familiarity with the NXG sub, so I'll take a crack at this one...

Given your room is about 3000 ft^3 my guess is it would be a bit overwhelmed. It will definitely work, and provide bass your towers simply can't, but that much space will leave little in the way of headroom and you might find it runs out of breath when you crank the volume. A pair would certainly be better but then you're getting into the $500 range where you can start looking at an SVS PB1000 or Rythmik LV12R. That would be a different decision then.

What are your goals for this sub? HT, music, some combination of both perhaps? Do you enjoy loud volumes or are your listening habits more subdued?

Hi Jim, thank you for replying.

I listen to music and watch movies, so it will have to serve a dual role. I don't feel that I blast the volume very high, but that is a relative statement to make. If it helps, please note that the volume indicator on the receiver rarely displays a value higher than -27db when watching movies. Generally, I keep it below -30db. For music, I have not checked.. but I think the same volume levels would apply.

My goal would be to have the lower frequencies covered with accuracy, not spend a lot and be able to feel something when the bass is going. I think that is something that I am missing at this point. The down-firing, front-ported subwoofer that came with the Onkyo Sr-800 had the following specs (according to onkyo):

10" driver
bass reflex enclosure
built in 230 watt amplifier
(10 7/8)w x (20 1/16)h x (16 7/16)d

I remember being able to feel bass. Scenes I can think of include the following:

1) The Golden Compass: The dirigible parking in the city
2) Revenge of the Sith: Opening scene when they fly between two starships
3) Superman Returns: The pulse when the lights go out
4) ST- First Contact: medley of shots when the borg are over-running the ship.. two borg get shot down and then the third has adapted and shielded itself.. i really felt a zing when that happened.

There are others, but those are the clearest in my head right now.

here is a rough sketch of the room.. it's not to scale

EDIT: ps, I downloaded the Reference 2 Bass disc that some members kindly created to try and see how they sound. I had some issues and not all the scenes actually had audio, but it didn't seem too bass-y.
post #106 of 173 Old 06-27-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I listen to music and watch movies, so it will have to serve a dual role. I don't feel that I blast the volume very high, but that is a relative statement to make. If it helps, please note that the volume indicator on the receiver rarely displays a value higher than -27db when watching movies. Generally, I keep it below -30db. For music, I have not checked.. but I think the same volume levels would apply.
Given you listen at fairly restrained levels a single NXG might suffice, but don't expect the deep bass to loosen your fillings. I would suggest you set the crossover on your AVR for 60Hz though, so as not to stress the speakers.

post #107 of 173 Old 06-28-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Try reading this thread.
well then...is this a sealed sub or is it ported.........
post #108 of 173 Old 06-28-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
well then...is this a sealed sub or is it ported.........
Post #14 on Page 1 has a link to Jim Wilsons review.
post #109 of 173 Old 06-28-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Given you listen at fairly restrained levels a single NXG might suffice, but don't expect the deep bass to loosen your fillings. I would suggest you set the crossover on your AVR for 60Hz though, so as not to stress the speakers.
Hmm. I'm going to try listening at higher volume for a few nights and see how worried I get about the speakers, my ears and my neighbors. I'm at -15db now and I don't know if it's practical to do this all the time.. Given the relatively close distance I think this may be a max. My lady may kill me, too. Will update.
post #110 of 173 Old 06-28-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmm. I'm going to try listening at higher volume for a few nights and see how worried I get about the speakers, my ears and my neighbors. I'm at -15db now and I don't know if it's practical to do this all the time.. Given the relatively close distance I think this may be a max. My lady may kill me, too. Will update.

Well, if you don't update us then we'll know what happened...

post #111 of 173 Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Well, if you don't update us then we'll know what happened...
-15db is definitely too loud.. it is great to hear the surrounds so loud, but it also begins to tire me out very quickly, and I find that I can't leave it at that volume because if there are any spikes in the audio then it is too much. I could never watch the opening cannonade of Master & Commander at that level, for example. I think this sub will probably do it for me, unless I build one.

One last question which I felt was not fully covered in your review.. does it get as low as it claims to do? Is it very accurate?
post #112 of 173 Old 07-02-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
-15db is definitely too loud.. it is great to hear the surrounds so loud, but it also begins to tire me out very quickly, and I find that I can't leave it at that volume because if there are any spikes in the audio then it is too much. I could never watch the opening cannonade of Master & Commander at that level, for example. I think this sub will probably do it for me, unless I build one.

One last question which I felt was not fully covered in your review.. does it get as low as it claims to do? Is it very accurate?
For how low it goes, take a look at the test results in this review:
http://www.nxgtechnology.com/images/...500_review.pdf

One caveat, even though he is using CEA-2010, Brent Butterworth's methodology and equipment are such that his track record shows his numbers are higher than what many others report using the same CEA-2010 standard. The only measurements I would directly compare his to are his own for other subs and not use them as a point of comparison to test results from other reviewers for other subs. Brent did test the PB-1000 so it is fair to compare his measurements for both subs. This should give a framework of relative performance difference in terms of output at given frequencies
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...r-measurements.

The tests do show the NXG starts to roll off below 30 hz. There is output at 20hz but it is substantially lower and depending on the room and set-up may or may not be very audible. For reference, each 10 db difference is generally perceived as a doubling in volume to the human ear. at 20 hz, the PB-1000 can be over twice as loud.

I haven't heard the NXG so I can't comment on accuracy.
post #113 of 173 Old 07-02-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its accuracy was discussed in the review; for the money I thought it did very well, and didn't come across as a 'one note' subwoofer. NXG claims 18Hz, but I didn't experience that myself. I found solid output into the mid 20's, so with room gain you can expect a little better, but don't count on too much below that. Pretty typical though - most inexpensive subwoofers don't plumb the depths all that well.

post #114 of 173 Old 07-02-2014, 01:45 PM

so all in all from what im gathering the nxg is a very good sub for the 260 price tag.......
post #115 of 173 Old 07-02-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
so all in all from what im gathering the nxg is a very good sub for the 260 price tag.......
Did you even read the review?
post #116 of 173 Old 07-02-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I felt it was.

post #117 of 173 Old 07-02-2014, 05:27 PM

thanks jim.. i respect your reviews....keep up the good work
post #118 of 173 Old 07-02-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you. I'm glad my evaluations have proven helpful to you.

post #119 of 173 Old 07-02-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
+1
post #120 of 173 Old 07-05-2014, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Opinions on the next best sub(s) after the $300 range that will out perform the NXG?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page