NXG Technology NX-BAS-500 12" - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 132 Old 07-05-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro24 View Post
opinions on the next best sub(s) after the $300 range that will out perform the nxg?
svs pb1000
Maestro24 likes this.
Bond 007 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 132 Old 07-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Member
 
bargugl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro24 View Post
Opinions on the next best sub(s) after the $300 range that will out perform the NXG?
I have not heard them, but based on measurements, I'd put the Hsu STF-2 as the next very modest step up. Then after that is the $500 SVS PB-1000 and possibly the Reaction Audio BPS 212. There's a serious gap of selection right now in between the under $300 category and the $500+ category. There were a few internet direct sub companies that had decent subs there a couple years back, but they have either all gone under or moved out of the category. Also not really any fire sales of higher priced subs from the big brands right now either (like the Klipsch RW-12D/Jamo 650/Energy S10.3 from a bit back).
Maestro24 likes this.
bargugl is offline  
post #123 of 132 Old 07-05-2014, 09:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro24 View Post
Opinions on the next best sub(s) after the $300 range that will out perform the NXG?
$500-Reaction BPS-212, SVS PB-1000

$600-Hsu VTF-2 Mk 4, Rythmik LV-12R
Maestro24 likes this.
Gmash is offline  
post #124 of 132 Old 07-06-2014, 01:46 AM
Member
 
collven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jim, I have a question about your procedure when you reviewed this. I received mine yesterday from Radio Shack and will probably be setting it up Monday, after letting it break in a bit. When you set your review unit up, where did you set the volume on the sub itself?

My receiver doesn't have Audyssey or anything, so I will set the levels manually. Everywhere I look, people seem to have different opinions on where the subwoofer's volume should be set. I've read halfway, 3/4 or even all the way up. Does it depend on the receiver? Basically whatever puts me at 0 or even -1 or -2 for the sub level in the setup?
collven is offline  
post #125 of 132 Old 07-06-2014, 06:43 AM
Member
 
James004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargugl View Post
I have not heard them, but based on measurements, I'd put the Hsu STF-2 as the next very modest step up. Then after that is the $500 SVS PB-1000 and possibly the Reaction Audio BPS 212. There's a serious gap of selection right now in between the under $300 category and the $500+ category. There were a few internet direct sub companies that had decent subs there a couple years back, but they have either all gone under or moved out of the category. Also not really any fire sales of higher priced subs from the big brands right now either (like the Klipsch RW-12D/Jamo 650/Energy S10.3 from a bit back).
Are there any subs in or near this price range that have parametric EQ?
James004 is online now  
post #126 of 132 Old 07-06-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by collven View Post
Jim, I have a question about your procedure when you reviewed this. I received mine yesterday from Radio Shack and will probably be setting it up Monday, after letting it break in a bit. When you set your review unit up, where did you set the volume on the sub itself?

My receiver doesn't have Audyssey or anything, so I will set the levels manually. Everywhere I look, people seem to have different opinions on where the subwoofer's volume should be set. I've read halfway, 3/4 or even all the way up. Does it depend on the receiver? Basically whatever puts me at 0 or even -1 or -2 for the sub level in the setup?
It depends on a multitude of factors; distance from the sub, size of the room, capability of your mains, personal preference for loudness, sensitivity of the gain knob, etc. In general though my process is to tune by ear until I feel the unit is broken in, just to get a sense for its performance. After x number of hours (x being determined by what the manufacturer suggests, or about 15 if they don't specify) I'll set the gain at 50% and run Audyssey. If Audyssey comes back with a -12 I'll drop the gain some and run it again. Repeat until Audyssey is happy, at which point I'll usually adjust the gain up some because I've often found it likes the sound to be a bit weaker then I do.

Historically that process has meant things are set at 40%-60% gain on the sub amp and 0dB as the output level from my AVR. The AVR level is more critical for me than the sub gain; I would much prefer to boost the output by way of the subwoofers amplifier than the input level. The latter could introduce additional signal noise, so I tend toward keeping the input level lower and the subwoofers gains higher if I need to make adjustments. I don't recall ever having to go as high as 3/4th's though, but that would be my absolute limit regardless. I would never even consider max - were that necessary I would add a second subwoofer or get a larger one.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
post #127 of 132 Old 07-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Member
 
collven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Jim. Sounds pretty much like I planned on doing it.
collven is offline  
post #128 of 132 Old 07-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How does this compare to the BIC PL-200?
Warner2Bruce is offline  
post #129 of 132 Old 07-07-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post
How does this compare to the BIC PL-200?

I won't be able to compare it with the PL-200, but in a few weeks I can with the H-100...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
post #130 of 132 Old 07-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Member
 
James004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
I won't be able to compare it with the PL-200, but in a few weeks I can with the H-100...
I am eagerly waiting for that. But then the NXG will be out of stock again! I am still deabating on saving my pennies for an HUS or SVS. But getting my wife to agree to that will be a hard sell. The NXG or H-100 would not be too difficult.

James
James004 is online now  
post #131 of 132 Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Senior Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by James004 View Post
I am eagerly waiting for that. But then the NXG will be out of stock again! I am still deabating on saving my pennies for an HUS or SVS. But getting my wife to agree to that will be a hard sell. The NXG or H-100 would not be too difficult.

James
Just give the NXG a go and be done.
;-)
laserjock II is online now  
post #132 of 132 Old 07-08-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Just give the NXG a go and be done.
;-)
+1

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off