NXG Technology NX-BAS-500 12" - Page 6 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > NXG Technology NX-BAS-500 12"

Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson
01:15 AM Liked: 461
post #151 of 180
07-25-2014 | Posts: 4,855
Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLouis1971 View Post
Is the NXG Technology NX-BAS-500 12" more accurate than the Dayton Audio SUB-1200?


From my perspective it was.
BigLouis1971's Avatar BigLouis1971
01:40 AM Liked: 10
post #152 of 180
07-25-2014 | Posts: 87
Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

From my perspective it was.
Why do you say it was? Did the NXG got worse or the Dayton Audio better?
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007
04:32 AM Liked: 920
post #153 of 180
07-25-2014 | Posts: 12,677
Joined: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLouis1971 View Post
Why do you say it was? Did the NXG got worse or the Dayton Audio better?
Probably because it is. Why would it need to be any reason like that?
BigLouis1971's Avatar BigLouis1971
04:44 AM Liked: 10
post #154 of 180
07-25-2014 | Posts: 87
Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Probably because it is. Why would it need to be any reason like that?
I don't understand your point. When you measure accuracy why one sub can't be more accurate than another? If that isn't a reason that makes sense then which one does makes sense? If one sub isn't more accurate than another then why are so many different brands and prices? I'm just asking a simple question because the NXG doubles the Dayton in price. I demand that it also doubles the accuracy. If it doesn't then there's no point to be more expensive.
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007
04:53 AM Liked: 920
post #155 of 180
07-25-2014 | Posts: 12,677
Joined: Jun 2012
The NXG is more accurate from the factory. There is no transformation taking place.
As far as I know its not something you can measure. You simply hear it. Expecting twice the accuracy for twice the price is unrealistic.
BigLouis1971's Avatar BigLouis1971
05:22 AM Liked: 10
post #156 of 180
07-25-2014 | Posts: 87
Joined: Oct 2013
Have you heard both of them so you can compare them and tell me the differences in more detail?
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007
05:51 AM Liked: 920
post #157 of 180
07-25-2014 | Posts: 12,677
Joined: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLouis1971 View Post
Have you heard both of them so you can compare them and tell me the differences in more detail?
No
Gmash's Avatar Gmash
08:04 AM Liked: 108
post #158 of 180
07-25-2014 | Posts: 610
Joined: Aug 2012
If the confusion is over the word "was", it's because he didn't keep either sub, Jim wrote the reviews for both.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html
BigLouis1971's Avatar BigLouis1971
10:20 AM Liked: 10
post #159 of 180
07-25-2014 | Posts: 87
Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
If the confusion is over the word "was", it's because he didn't keep either sub, Jim wrote the reviews for both.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html
Now that makes sense. It was more accurate because he don't have it anymore. I didn't knew that fact because I found this forum just a few months ago and I don't come here too often. So this resulted in crucial info to decide for the NXG over the Dayton. Thanks to everybody for your attention.
JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson
10:27 AM Liked: 461
post #160 of 180
07-25-2014 | Posts: 4,855
Joined: Oct 2010
Now I'm confused. What just happened?
Htrnewbie
03:01 PM Liked: 0
post #161 of 180
07-26-2014 | Posts: 2
Joined: Jul 2014
I m newbie to home theater stuff. Find my system details below.

Klipsh Quintet V
Yamha RX V577
NXG-NAS 500

Need help in setting up the crossover and other settings in my receiver.

My room size is 11'× 16.2'

I hooked the receivers subwoofer preout to NXG-NAS 500's R or LFE. Also based on discussion in this thread, set my crossover to Max in Subwoofer and sound to 3/4 intially and ran the YPA0. Got the W-1 out of phase and W-3 Level error from YPA0 which i ignored.

Find the below settings which YPAO recommended from my reciever.

Front,center and surround set to Large
Crossover : 60HZ
Front L :0.0dB
Front R : 0.0dB
Center : +1.5dB
Surround L +8.5dB
Surround R ; +4.0dB
Subwoofer : -10.00 dB

I couldnt hear any bass from reciever. so i changed the front, center and surround speaker sizes to small and cross over settings to 120HZ in receiver as recommended by Klipsh, also increased the subwoofer level to 0.0dB from -10.00dB in receiver but still i feel some kind of boomy sound in some music videos.

Please help me in setting up the cross over and other settings. I listen to both music and movie.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007
03:08 PM Liked: 920
post #162 of 180
07-26-2014 | Posts: 12,677
Joined: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htrnewbie View Post
I m newbie to home theater stuff. Find my system details below.

Klipsh Quintet V
Yamha RX V577
NXG-NAS 500

Need help in setting up the crossover and other settings in my receiver.

My room size is 11'× 16.2'

I hooked the receivers subwoofer preout to NXG-NAS 500's R or LFE. Also based on discussion in this thread, set my crossover to Max in Subwoofer and sound to 3/4 intially and ran the YPA0. Got the W-1 out of phase and W-3 Level error from YPA0 which i ignored.

Find the below settings which YPAO recommended from my reciever.

Front,center and surround set to Large
Crossover : 60HZ
Front L :0.0dB
Front R : 0.0dB
Center : +1.5dB
Surround L +8.5dB
Surround R ; +4.0dB
Subwoofer : -10.00 dB

I couldnt hear any bass from reciever. so i changed the front, center and surround speaker sizes to small and cross over settings to 120HZ in receiver as recommended by Klipsh, also increased the subwoofer level to 0.0dB from -10.00dB in receiver but still i feel some kind of boomy sound in some music videos.

Please help me in setting up the cross over and other settings. I listen to both music and movie.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks
You have done everything right. Except you need to rerun YPAO until it sets the sub to around -3. -10 is the maximum displayed so it may actually be -16 or something.
After that set all speakers to Small. Xover to 120. And tweak the sub volume AT THE SUB.
The boominess may also be due to placement of the sub. Have you tried moving it around?
Htrnewbie
05:35 PM Liked: 0
post #163 of 180
07-27-2014 | Posts: 2
Joined: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
You have done everything right. Except you need to rerun YPAO until it sets the sub to around -3. -10 is the maximum displayed so it may actually be -16 or something.
After that set all speakers to Small. Xover to 120. And tweak the sub volume AT THE SUB.
The boominess may also be due to placement of the sub. Have you tried moving it around?
Thanks for your input.

I ran the YPAO so many times, the best it can come up with is -5dB for Sub and even for that i have to reduce the volume in Sub less than 3. YPAO came up with the below recommendations

Front L :0.0dB
Front R ; +2.0dB
Center : +0.5dB
Surround L + +5.0dB
Surrond R : +6.0dB
Sub : -5.0dB

I tweaked the volume after this in sub but still i am not getting good music listening experience. I moved the sub around but still im getting the boominess. Is there anything i need to do?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
zeez's Avatar zeez
02:05 PM Liked: 10
post #164 of 180
08-01-2014 | Posts: 127
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Now I'm confused. What just happened?
He read your statement as meaning the NXG was (used to be) more accurate than the Dayton. Due to that, he was trying to understand what changed over time to make it lose accuracy.
gonzo64's Avatar gonzo64
12:15 PM Liked: 10
post #165 of 180
08-02-2014 | Posts: 21
Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo64 View Post
ok i will do that ..thanks.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Connect to LFE. Set crossover all the way up. Set volume at about halfway. Run Audyssey.
hey bond 007 i did rerun the audyssey and it now set the sub level to a -12.0....i know this isnt right so do i have to rerun again..and will this do anything ..or can i just bump up the level....so what is the normal level i should be looking for ...thanks......my other sub was at a + 5.5
caloyzki's Avatar caloyzki
01:01 PM Liked: 46
post #166 of 180
08-02-2014 | Posts: 2,171
Joined: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo64 View Post
hey bond 007 i did rerun the audyssey and it now set the sub level to a -12.0....i know this isnt right so do i have to rerun again..and will this do anything ..or can i just bump up the level....so what is the normal level i should be looking for ...thanks......my other sub was at a + 5.5
Yes that is too high. You should run the first chirp of the audysey then check the sub trim. Then adjust the sub gain until you get -3db to -6db and then do the whole mic audysey posotion.
gonzo64's Avatar gonzo64
03:07 PM Liked: 10
post #167 of 180
08-02-2014 | Posts: 21
Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post
Yes that is too high. You should run the first chirp of the audysey then check the sub trim. Then adjust the sub gain until you get -3db to -6db and then do the whole mic audysey posotion.
not getting what you mean here...sub trim...sub gain..ect....sorry....thanks...
caloyzki's Avatar caloyzki
03:52 PM Liked: 46
post #168 of 180
08-02-2014 | Posts: 2,171
Joined: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo64 View Post
not getting what you mean here...sub trim...sub gain..ect....sorry....thanks...
sub trim is what the result from the audysey. sub gain is where you can adjust the gain knob from the subwoofer.
gonzo64's Avatar gonzo64
03:55 PM Liked: 10
post #169 of 180
08-02-2014 | Posts: 21
Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post
sub trim is what the result from the audysey. sub gain is where you can adjust the gain knob from the subwoofer.
couldnt i just maually raise the level from -12.0 to -3.0...or should i lower the volume on the sub and try it again.....what you think
PS3forlife's Avatar PS3forlife
08:09 PM Liked: 31
post #170 of 180
08-16-2014 | Posts: 249
Joined: Feb 2009
Just to report in. Been punishing my nxg for a good while now. Had heart surgery so everyday it's getting a workout as I have nothing else to do. It is performing flawlessly. Still love and would recommend this sub. Wondering which one Jman would recommend this or the bic he reviewed still very happy with my purchase.
JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson
08:52 PM Liked: 461
post #171 of 180
08-16-2014 | Posts: 4,855
Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3forlife View Post
Just to report in. Been punishing my nxg for a good while now. Had heart surgery so everyday it's getting a workout as I have nothing else to do. It is performing flawlessly. Still love and would recommend this sub. Wondering which one Jman would recommend this or the bic he reviewed still very happy with my purchase.
That very topic came up just a few weeks ago, and this is what I had to say in response.

I'm very sorry to hear about your surgery. I hope you get back on your feet real soon. I'm glad the subwoofer has made the situation a bit more tolerable!
ppilot's Avatar ppilot
12:32 PM Liked: 12
post #172 of 180
09-25-2014 | Posts: 54
Joined: Dec 2007
Just wanted to give people an idea of the RMA process as I didn't see much about it in this thread

Have owned this Sub for about a year now and really haven't had any complaints, except for some rattling that started about a month and half ago. Support wasn't super fast at responding and having to ship the sub back on my own dime wasn't exactly cheap, but overall the Customer experience was decent.

They shipped me another Sub within a day of getting my old one, but I haven't had a chance to check the replacement out.
PS3forlife's Avatar PS3forlife
10:34 PM Liked: 31
post #173 of 180
09-27-2014 | Posts: 249
Joined: Feb 2009
I had a great response time when my amp took a dump on mine. They responded to email immediatly (except when they were at a show and left no message to the fact on their site also around the time of their warehouse fire) even though they had a fire they shipped me a amp and let me keep the old one that a switch was messed up on. My recommendation is that you only ship them pieces as in the driver itself or amp itself much cheaper that way when you are sure of what it is. They overnighted my replacement amp to me as i had a original amp failure and the second one had a switch messed up. I even alluded to the fact that the first amp failure may have been my fault no questions asked they shipped me one. Great comapny wonderful BUDGET sub that performs well above its pay grade
collven's Avatar collven
02:29 PM Liked: 12
post #174 of 180
10-07-2014 | Posts: 153
Joined: May 2003
Well, my sub is dead after 3 months and very little use. At most between 40 and 50 hours of use. Now I'm not getting any power at all. Emailed NXG this morning, waiting for a response.

I bought it from Radio Shack. At least they are willing to ship it to NXG for me so I don't have to pay to ship it myself.

I was happy with it until now. I'm just glad that I'm a pack rat and held on to the box it was shipped in.
PS3forlife's Avatar PS3forlife
03:38 PM Liked: 31
post #175 of 180
10-07-2014 | Posts: 249
Joined: Feb 2009
I have well over 100 hours use on mine still going strong. They let me ship back just the amp as with a little diagnosis that what i determined failed in it. They sent me a new one the day they recieved mine (dead amp was my fault always unplug subwoofer before moving it )
James004's Avatar James004
08:05 AM Liked: 10
post #176 of 180
12-15-2014 | Posts: 56
Joined: Feb 2014
It looks like the NXG NX-BAS-500 is out of stock again. Not only that but Home Depot and AV Warehouse have no NXG inventory for sale at all. Is something going on? Or did they just run out again? I was ready to pull the trigger on a second BAS-500.
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007
12:34 PM Liked: 920
post #177 of 180
12-15-2014 | Posts: 12,677
Joined: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by James004 View Post
It looks like the NXG NX-BAS-500 is out of stock again. Not only that but Home Depot and AV Warehouse have no NXG inventory for sale at all. Is something going on? Or did they just run out again? I was ready to pull the trigger on a second BAS-500.
I sent NXG an email asking just that about a week ago and have gotten no response.
JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson
03:43 PM Liked: 461
post #178 of 180
12-15-2014 | Posts: 4,855
Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
I sent NXG an email asking just that about a week ago and have gotten no response.


Sigh...
laserjock II's Avatar laserjock II
01:47 PM Liked: 68
post #179 of 180
12-16-2014 | Posts: 615
Joined: Sep 2003
My email and response from AV House.

"Just wondering if these were going to be available anymore?
I have one and have people asking if they will available in the future.
Can't find them for sale anywhere"

"Hello Chris - Per our distributor they do not have an ETA on this item through the end of this year.

Regards,

The AV House Team"
ppilot's Avatar ppilot
10:14 AM Liked: 12
post #180 of 180
12-25-2014 | Posts: 54
Joined: Dec 2007
The sub woofer they sent me as a replacement for my other one that got went bad just died as well. With The news of them probably not making any more I'm thankful I bought it using American Express so I have additional year warranty on it. Probably going to be increasing my budget for the next subwoofer to between $750-$1000

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3