AVS Forum banner

Looking at the SVS SB-1000, but also am considering the HSU STF-2. Opinions desired.

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dsrussell 
#1 ·
I know these are two different animals, but they both pique my interest.

I am replacing an aging Dayton 10" Ported 100-watt subwoofer with one of these. Overall the Dayton has been a workhorse, but it's performance has never left me floored.

My room size is around 11' W x 16' D, so I shouldn't need anything too powerful. It will also be paired with some Paradigm Monitor 7 (version 7) tower speakers. Right now the Dayton does not compliment those very well. Two extremely different sounds, and they almost sound better with the subwoofer off right now.

Anyway, here are the reasons I came to the SB-1000 vs. STF-2.

STF-2: it's basically the same size as my Dayton, and is at the perfect price point, under $400. The specs look good and the reviews are all positive.

SB-1000: I love the fact that this is a compact sub. It would fit MUCH better than the HSU in my room with limited space. I also like the fact that it is 12" vs. 10".

The majority of use will be for HT in 5.1, but with my new Paradigms, I have been listening to a LOT more music in 2.1.

So basically, I like the STF-2's price-for-performance. That's why I am considering it, and I like the SB-1000 for it's compact size being a 12" sub. But the price difference is a bit over $100.

Anyone have any opinions?

See less See more
#3 ·
Either one would do fine. They are very different in design but similar in performance. Down firing and ported vs front firing and sealed. I would go with the svs. It is 12" and 100 more watts. It would probably provide more output even though it is sealed. I had an stf2 in a slightly larger room and I could barely hear it. I think it would struggle for HT. It is a bedroom sub imo.

#4 ·
Hi, thanks for the comment and sorry for hijacking the thread. My room is even smaller that I thought. It is 12 x 10 x 8. I listen like 70% to music and 30% for TV and movies. So I will probably go for the SVS since it is smaller and will make it a lot easier to fit.

#6 ·
^^ In a small room (under 1,500 cu. ft.) the SB-1000 should work very well. It is small (a 13-inch cube) and is specified to go down to 24 Hz, but with a small room it may reach 20 Hz. I got one of these for my son's office.

If your room can support a little larger sub, I'd look into the PB-1000 or the Reaction Audio BPS-212 (all are $500 subs). Check out each website to get sizes and further information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.