Building my first system and looking for a budget subwoofer - thoughts on the Dayton SUB-1000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DWells55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey everyone, I recently picked up a set of Energy RC-Micro 5.0 speakers (listed crossover of 120hz) and am in the process of hunting down a receiver and subwoofer to accompany them. My maximum budget for a sub is extremely limited at around $150. However, I understand I'm in entry-level territory. The system will be in a somewhat small apartment living room, and I'm looking to not get evicted.

Originally I was looking at the Polk PSW10 and Pioneer SW-8, but I heard neither was particularly good, plus the SW-8 is downfiring and I don't know if that means increased risk of upsetting downstairs neighbors. Based on my research, I decided to look into Dayton and found these two subs:

- Dayton Audio SUB-1000 10" 100 Watt Powered Subwoofer
- Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Any feedback on either of these? The 12" is in my budget, but I'd prefer something less intrusive, and I'm thinking it wouldn't be necessary anyway.

Thanks for any advice!
DWells55 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Member
 
Shadowdane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My friend has the Dayton Sub-1000 it's a decent entry level sub and should be fine for an apartment. Just don't expect it to produce much below 30-32Hz. Also a more expensive sub won't get you evicted if you keep it at resonable volume levels. Hell most cheap subs tend to be more BOOMY which gets heard easily in other apartments.

I have a SVS PB10-NSD sub in my apartment and generally keep things below ~85db, I haven't had any complaints from neighbors.
Shadowdane is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Nalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had a Dayton 10" sub for about 9 years now... It's been a workhorse, but I think the amp is starting to go.
For movies it really has been a champ. Music performance was never fantastic, but for the pricetag, it was hard to go wrong with it at the time.

I will not buy this record, it is scratched.
Nalow is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DWells55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdane View Post

My friend has the Dayton Sub-1000 it's a decent entry level sub and should be fine for an apartment. Just don't expect it to produce much below 30-32Hz. Also a more expensive sub won't get you evicted if you keep it at resonable volume levels. Hell most cheap subs tend to be more BOOMY which gets heard easily in other apartments.
I have a SVS PB10-NSD sub in my apartment and generally keep things below ~85db, I haven't had any complaints from neighbors.

Yeah, I'm not expecting mind-blowing sound here. What I'm hoping for is to have spent around $400 when all is said and done (receiver, sub, speakers, cables) and wind up with a system that sounds better than a $400 to $500 HTIB setup. Which I imagine should be fairly achievable. I'm going to be watching movies with Audyssey Dynamic Volume enabled anyway, so I'm not going to be getting the full range and glory of the soundtracks. I'm just holding myself over until I can put down a few grand for a proper setup down the road.

As for boomy subs and disturbing neighbors, do you think front-firing vs. down-firing will make a difference for my neighbors below me? I'm probably going to wind up building a riser/DIY Subdude either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalow View Post

I've had a Dayton 10" sub for about 9 years now... It's been a workhorse, but I think the amp is starting to go.
For movies it really has been a champ. Music performance was never fantastic, but for the pricetag, it was hard to go wrong with it at the time.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Can't complain about decent sound and nine years of life for $100 or so. I don't need perfection for music - any serious listening will be done with my B&W headphones. Only time music will be coming through the home theater is just for background noise while working, entertaining, cleaning, cooking, etc.


Thanks guys, I'll wait for a bit more feedback and I'll probably pull the trigger and order the 10" sub.
DWells55 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DWells55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
One last question before I order: is there any real reason to get the 12" sub over the 10", or is it overkill given the tiny speakers I'm using?

EDIT: Scratch that, just saw a video with the 8", 10" and 12" models. 12" is out of the question, I think the girlfriend is going to freak out as is when I try to put the 10" sub in the living room. Would I be missing out on much if I went down to the 8" model?
DWells55 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 PM
 
Splicer010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Good choice in subs...DON'T get smaller than 10". wink.gif
Splicer010 is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
tential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWells55 View Post

One last question before I order: is there any real reason to get the 12" sub over the 10", or is it overkill given the tiny speakers I'm using?
EDIT: Scratch that, just saw a video with the 8", 10" and 12" models. 12" is out of the question, I think the girlfriend is going to freak out as is when I try to put the 10" sub in the living room. Would I be missing out on much if I went down to the 8" model?

Do wives/gfs really "freak out" over a subwoofer in the room? I really think people over talk this aspect sometimes lol.
tential is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Prime316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

Do wives/gfs really "freak out" over a subwoofer in the room? I really think people over talk this aspect sometimes lol.

I agree, way overdone. Most of the time she just wants to know what the thing is and what it does. If she respects your hobbies, she'll be ok with it.

Like my wife says...."It's our house, if they don't like it, they can leave".

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
Prime316 is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 01-03-2013, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
tential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

I agree, way overdone. Most of the time she just wants to know what the thing is and what it does. If she respects your hobbies, she'll be ok with it.
Like my wife says...."It's our house, if they don't like it, they can leave".

Yup this. Any woman that has seen my room has simply asked "what is that large box next to those other large standing things". I say "speakers" I play em, they like it. It's normally the "surprise" factor of seeing a new large "gadget". Women will talk because that's what they like to do. Unless you bought an 18 inch unsightly mammoth and put it in the most obnoxious and unaesthetic place you can, I doubt they'll care. I wouldn't buy an unaesthetic looking speaker or subwoofer to begin with, and it's really hard to find unaesthetic subs IMO as they are just boxes with usually a wood or gloss finish.
If she is seriously so upset that you put a subwoofer in your living room or movie room, she's upset about something else and is using that as her way to get back at you.
tential is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,425
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Spend the extra $20 and get the 12". If you don't, you will end up wishing you did.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #11 of 15 Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DWells55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Good choice in subs...DON'T get smaller than 10". wink.gif
Good to see this sub is getting some positive responses - definitely a lot better than what I heard from people when I was first looking into subs and floating around the idea of a Polk PSW10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

Yup this. Any woman that has seen my room has simply asked "what is that large box next to those other large standing things". I say "speakers" I play em, they like it. It's normally the "surprise" factor of seeing a new large "gadget". Women will talk because that's what they like to do. Unless you bought an 18 inch unsightly mammoth and put it in the most obnoxious and unaesthetic place you can, I doubt they'll care. I wouldn't buy an unaesthetic looking speaker or subwoofer to begin with, and it's really hard to find unaesthetic subs IMO as they are just boxes with usually a wood or gloss finish.
If she is seriously so upset that you put a subwoofer in your living room or movie room, she's upset about something else and is using that as her way to get back at you.
Well, I don't know if she would "freak out" per se, but she won't be thrilled. All the apartments we're looking at are in a downtown area, so chances are we're going to have around 700sqft or so to be working with for the whole place. So the living room/home theater is also going to be the eating area and desk/study area for her studies and for when I telecommute. Space is going to be tight and it's just the idea of one more big item and trying to not make things look cluttered.

I'm big on aesthetics myself, and unfortunately the subs in my price range are ugly. I'm probably going to be refinishing the Dayton in high-gloss black to match the RC-Micros (part of the reason I chose them was because they're small and good looking). Hell, the riser I build for the sub will either be wrapped in black leather or microsuede to make it look nicer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Spend the extra $20 and get the 12". If you don't, you will end up wishing you did.
I think I'm going to pick up the 10" and see how it is, since I really don't want anything larger - the $20 is irrelevant. If the 10" can't fill the room properly, then I'll get the 12".


Thanks, everyone.
DWells55 is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 01-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Nalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think for your space (it sounds like you're tight), that the 10" would be fine. I'm sure you'd get good sound out of the 8" as well for your space.
But if you have room for the 10", then you should probably go that route.

I will not buy this record, it is scratched.
Nalow is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 01-03-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DWells55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalow View Post

I think for your space (it sounds like you're tight), that the 10" would be fine. I'm sure you'd get good sound out of the 8" as well for your space.
But if you have room for the 10", then you should probably go that route.

And, trigger pulled on the 10". Now to find a receiver with Audyssey, AirPlay, and power efficient features for under $250 by Tuesday when the sub shows up. This might be a challenge.
DWells55 is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Prime316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 141
700 sq ft? You should probably look into a nice soundbar. I see why you are stressing over subwoofer size.

oh well 10 inch sub it is.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
Prime316 is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 01-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
eaamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South mid Tn.
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I would recommend going to DIY section
help and ideas for the best sound will be found there...

my HT
eaamon is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off