Did I make a mistake? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a Klipsch 12" K series subwoofer with a amplifier board that keeps blowing fuses, so when I saw an ad at Partsexpress for a Yung replacement board for 99$ I jumped on it. Well, after I actually read the ad, it says it has a "6db boost". WTF did I buy? What exactly is that going to do? I need it for movie surround sound, not rap......

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=301-510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 02:21 PM

Liked: 11
I don't have any experience with this module but unless I am missing something, it looks like you can't turn that boost off.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvining View Post

I've got a Klipsch 12" K series subwoofer with a amplifier board that keeps blowing fuses, so when I saw an ad at Partsexpress for a Yung replacement board for 99$ I jumped on it. Well, after I actually read the ad, it says it has a "6db boost". WTF did I buy? What exactly is that going to do? I need it for movie surround sound, not rap......

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=301-510

How did you even know that this amp would work/fit your sub?
post #4 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

@javi404 What would be the effect of it? I could always give it to one of my teenagers for their game setups if that is the purpose of that design.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

@Sputter1 from posts on other web sites where others have done it with Yung boards. This is a pretty common problem with that series of Klipsch subs, and there are a number of manufacturer's boards that will fit it, originally it was a Bash, if worse comes to worse, it's ultimately just a plywood box, I'll make an adapter plate for it if I have to, it's a pawn-shop cast off, I gave like, 15 bucks for it.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 112
What does an amp board have to do with rap?confused.gif

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #7 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

I am assuming there is some purpose in selling a board with a 6db boost. Who would want it, and why, is what I am asking? Someone building a boomer for rap music? A gamer? Better explosion sounds for HT? I'm just curious as to who wants this kind of feature so I can figure out if I can use it somewhere where I or someone I know might have an appropriate need for it. I've got five kids, three with homes of their own and two teenagers who won't leave, they are all looking for something when it comes to sound equip.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-03-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
A small sealed sub is the purpose for that amp. With the right driver/amp combo 6db boost at 30hz will give you completely flat response to 30hz. Example:

post #9 of 16 Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, after doing some research I have come up with an explanation. Our ears don't hear bass as well as we hear other frequencies. The 6db boost is supposed to compensate our ears for the difference in sound levels delivered to the mains and to the sub. It is assumed by the designers that there is a gradual roll-off of hearing ability that reaches -6.2dB at 20 Hz. -- that means the average person listening to a 20Hz. tone needs +6.2dB more sound pressure for lower frequencies than a 1000Hz. tone for both tones to sound equally loud, hence the 6 db boost. It should work for a typical Home Theatre application.

I currently have one of these operating in my HT system:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-KSW-12-Powered-Sub-Woofer-Black-15-x-15-x-17-1-2-300-Watt-4-Ohm-/170967309643?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item27ce721d4b

I have not been particularly happy with it. It works ok but it doesn't seem to deliver enough deep bass punch in my 20x40 living room, and the sound is very localized.

I picked up one of these with a bad amp at a pawn shop for cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Powered-Subwoofer-SW-350-AS-IS-partially-works-amplifier-may-be-bad-/121042951620?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item1c2eb8ddc4

What I planned to do was to fix it, and then try two subs in the living room, one at each end, and see how I like it. At this point, I'm going to give the board a try. if it doesn't work, I'll use them in the kid's game room for their video game set up and buy or build something better. The reason I like these subs is strictly cosmetic, I have read a lot of criticism of them, but the one really nice thing about them is they look great in the living room, so I'd like to make them work. I guess at this point, I'll let you all know how it works out......
post #10 of 16 Old 01-04-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, after doing some research I have come up with an explanation. Our ears don't hear bass as well as we hear other frequencies. The 6db boost is supposed to compensate our ears for the difference in sound levels delivered to the mains and to the sub. It is assumed by the designers that there is a gradual roll-off of hearing ability that reaches -6.2dB at 20 Hz. -- that means the average person listening to a 20Hz. tone needs +6.2dB more sound pressure for lower frequencies than a 1000Hz. tone for both tones to sound equally loud, hence the 6 db boost. It should work for a typical Home Theatre application.
I currently have one of these operating in my HT system:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-KSW-12-Powered-Sub-Woofer-Black-15-x-15-x-17-1-2-300-Watt-4-Ohm-/170967309643?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item27ce721d4b
I have not been particularly happy with it. It works ok but it doesn't seem to deliver enough deep bass punch in my 20x40 living room, and the sound is very localized.
I picked up one of these with a bad amp at a pawn shop for cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Powered-Subwoofer-SW-350-AS-IS-partially-works-amplifier-may-be-bad-/121042951620?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item1c2eb8ddc4
What I planned to do was to fix it, and then try two subs in the living room, one at each end, and see how I like it. At this point, I'm going to give the board a try. if it doesn't work, I'll use them in the kid's game room for their video game set up and buy or build something better. The reason I like these subs is strictly cosmetic, I have read a lot of criticism of them, but the one really nice thing about them is they look great in the living room, so I'd like to make them work. I guess at this point, I'll let you all know how it works out......

While that may be true, it's still not the reason the amp has a 6db boost at 30 hz rolleyes.gif

Your best bet for flat response is to plug the port of that sub. The boost used with a ported sub can easily lead to a boomy "car audio" type of response.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

While that may be true, it's still not the reason the amp has a 6db boost at 30 hz rolleyes.gif
+1. That reason would be to compensate for the poor low end response of the average sub.
Quote:
Your best bet for flat response is to plug the port of that sub. The boost used with a ported sub can easily lead to a boomy "car audio" type of response.
-1. Subs are properly ported when the driver employed has specs that require it for best results. And boom does not come from 30Hz, where the 6dB boost is; it comes from the midbass, nearly two octaves above that. Nor do car subs necessarily boom. Heard from the outside you're not hearing the sound of the sub, you're hearing the resonant frequency of the car, and since that frequency is a constant the sound heard is a one-note boom.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well, one of the most common complaints I have read on the Klipsch subs of this type is a lack of low end response, so it sounds like this is at least worth a try, thanks for the great info!
post #13 of 16 Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Quote:

Well, one of the most common complaints I have read on the Klipsch subs of this type is a lack of low end response, so it sounds like this is at least worth a try, thanks for the great info!
Just be careful. That 6dB of boost translates into making the cone travel twice as far as without the boost. At low volumes that can make the sub sound better, but at high volumes it can cause the driver to self-destruct. A whacking sound means the voice coil has reached the end of its safe travel; if that happens turn it down and/or reduce the system low EQ.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-04-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

+1. That reason would be to compensate for the poor low end response of the average sub.
-1. Subs are properly ported when the driver employed has specs that require it for best results. And boom does not come from 30Hz, where the 6dB boost is; it comes from the midbass, nearly two octaves above that. Nor do car subs necessarily boom. Heard from the outside you're not hearing the sound of the sub, you're hearing the resonant frequency of the car, and since that frequency is a constant the sound heard is a one-note boom.

Boost at 30Hz will be much broader and effect the range higher up. Without pulling this sub apart, or measuring we can't say whether it's properly designed, but I'm going to assume it's moderately flat to 30Hz being a ported 12", in which case a 30Hz 6db boost will look similar to the response of a ported sub in a car. My definition of "boomy" is when a certain range played louder then everything else.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-04-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Boost at 30Hz will be much broader and effect the range higher up. Without pulling this sub apart, or measuring we can't say whether it's properly designed, but I'm going to assume it's moderately flat to 30Hz being a ported 12", in which case a 30Hz 6db boost will look similar to the response of a ported sub in a car. My definition of "boomy" is when a certain range played louder then everything else.

The Q of the boost will be whatever it is. If it's not designed to work with the particular driver in the particular box it is unlikely to be correct even if a boost is needed, although AFAIK, typically ported boxes don't require any boost anywhere at or above the tuning frequency if appropriately designed. And boost below the tuning frequency either accomplishes nothing because the sub has a steep high pass filter or if played at high levels will kill the driver as it becomes unloaded below tuning.

If I put a graphic EQ on my system and apply a 6 dB boost at 1 KHz, would you call it boomy?
post #16 of 16 Old 01-04-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Answers in bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

The Q of the boost will be whatever it is. If it's not designed to work with the particular driver in the particular box it is unlikely to be correct even if a boost is needed, although AFAIK, typically ported boxes don't require any boost anywhere at or above the tuning frequency if appropriately designed.

Exactly

And boost below the tuning frequency either accomplishes nothing because the sub has a steep high pass filter

The HPF is built into the amp, not the driver/enclosure.

or if played at high levels will kill the driver as it becomes unloaded below tuning.

Very possible, as there's a good chance this enclosure is tuned higher then 30hz. Another reason to plug the port

If I put a graphic EQ on my system and apply a 6 dB boost at 1 KHz, would you call it boomy?

That's out of context, this is a discussion about subwoofers...
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page