Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Or one of these and cut it to size, it will work just as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Joe-Anti-Fatigue-Beveled-3-Feet/dp/B000EFK9KM/ref=sr_1_12?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1358282258&sr=1-12&keywords=comfort+mats
What I'd really be concerned about from what I see in that picture is the lack of rugs on the tile floors and placing the sub near the hallway, which almost guarantees a poor result.

I doubt it but will closing the door make any type of difference? As far as rugs go, there is one at the center of the room.

AppleMark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 01-15-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Closing the door will help if it's heavy enough and fits the frame well enough not to vibrate. The rug should extend as close as possible to the walls. Don't take this the wrong way, but I can't figure out why you're all bent out of shape over a 15x15 inch pad that does practically nothing for the quality of the sound in your room. It appears that you have absorbers on the rear walls, yet the single most important acoustical feature is fully carpeting the room, and that you haven't done. You need to get your priorities straight.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #33 of 38 Old 01-16-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Closing the door will help if it's heavy enough and fits the frame well enough not to vibrate. The rug should extend as close as possible to the walls. Don't take this the wrong way, but I can't figure out why you're all bent out of shape over a 15x15 inch pad that does practically nothing for the quality of the sound in your room. It appears that you have absorbers on the rear walls, yet the single most important acoustical feature is fully carpeting the room, and that you haven't done. You need to get your priorities straight.

The idea of placing the sub on the pad has been thrown out. I'm not using it anymore, Now i'm just concentrating on picking one of the subs that I had mentioned on the previous post.
post #34 of 38 Old 01-17-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Planning on ordering the HSU Research VTF-1 MK2 subwoofer next week.
post #35 of 38 Old 01-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by limp003 View Post

The idea of placing the sub on the pad has been thrown out. I'm not using it anymore, Now i'm just concentrating on picking one of the subs that I had mentioned on the previous post.

If your floor is solid, there's no need for a SubDude. If you thump the floor (generally a suspended wooden one) and it makes noise/resonates, then you want to isolate the sub.
post #36 of 38 Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post

If your floor is solid, there's no need for a SubDude. If you thump the floor (generally a suspended wooden one) and it makes noise/resonates, then you want to isolate the sub.
It makes no difference either way. Floors don't resonate from contact with the cab, they resonate due to the output of the speaker. If isolation claims were true you'd have to put your ear against the cab to hear it. rolleyes.gif

post #37 of 38 Old 01-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

It makes no difference either way. Floors don't resonate from contact with the cab, they resonate due to the output of the speaker. If isolation claims were true you'd have to put your ear against the cab to hear it. rolleyes.gif

When the sub is playing and I rest two of the feet on top of my fingers, I feel the vibrations. You're telling me that these don't transmit through the floor?
post #38 of 38 Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post

When the sub is playing and I rest two of the feet on top of my fingers, I feel the vibrations. You're telling me that these don't transmit through the floor?
There are two possible scenarios. The first is that those vibrations are within the nominal pass band of the subwoofer, less than 100Hz or so, in which case the cabinet panels would be flexing by at least a millimeter. If that's the case the sub is defective. Well designed and constructed subs don't do that.

The other scenario is that the sub is well designed and constructed, and that being the case the vibrations you're feeling are in the midrange, 500Hz or higher. Those vibrations might result in panel flex of a tenth of a millimeter, and are hardly adequate to cause the floor to vibrate. There could be some buzzing against a hard floor, but preventing that doesn't require a $50 or more device, all it takes is rubber feet, or a small piece of carpet or other simple pad.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers