Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 101 Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I am trying to decide which of these subwoofers to get:
Velodyn VX-11, Dayton Sub-1200 or Bic f12

The reason the Velodyne vx-11 are in this is they have fairly good reviews from what I have read and they have a sale on them getting 2 for $229 at the moment....This is to replace an old Sony SA-305 Subwoofer and to pair with a new set of Energy Take Classic's system that I got.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

BTW: Budget is right around $200 or less...I am stretching it a bit for the VX-11 pair because I might choose to sell one off later..

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 01-04-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

As another note, this sub if for a room that is about 15x20 with 9' ceilings. Thanks again for any help
post #3 of 101 Old 01-04-2013, 03:34 PM

Liked: 10
Why is the PSW505 not in your consideration? It is the only one I have experience with it and it has been a good sub if you arent looking for extreme bass.
post #4 of 101 Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

I have looked at it, but narrowed it down to these three...I forgot the reason I excluded the psw505, I think it was because most reviews I read favored the f12 over the PSw505...What would be your arguments for it?
post #5 of 101 Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 821
I would get the F12. You're going to need the output in a room that size but here's some food for thought:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414577/dayton-sub-1200-review

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #6 of 101 Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I am actually thinking of getting the two vx-11's and running both of them...a friend has the F12 I might barrow to compare them and then return or sell based on my tests....

Does anyone also also have any input or opinion on running the dual vx-11's vs a single one of the other 12's?
post #7 of 101 Old 01-06-2013, 02:36 PM

Liked: 32
As much as I would like to say Dayton, this is a case where '2 are better than 1' as duals just can't be replicated. Are those 8" subs?
post #8 of 101 Old 01-06-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

No, they are 10"....
http://velodyne.com/vx-11.html
post #9 of 101 Old 01-06-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
If you get the Velodyne set, please report your opinions here after you experience them...

Robert Clark
post #10 of 101 Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Will do! I will hopefully get them sometime this week...can't wait!
post #11 of 101 Old 01-12-2013, 05:35 PM

I ordered a pair too, will have them Monday. Won't be able to install them for a couple weeks though, let us know your impressions!
post #12 of 101 Old 01-12-2013, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I currently have a VX-11 myself and I really like it. Bear in mind it is a budget sub, and may not get as deep as a sub from say HSU or SVS, but for me it gets the job done. I listen to music with on all the time, and it helps to add a little more depth to the music. The speakers in my system are a pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's a CMT-340 center and a pair of Athena AS-B1's(to be replaced by a apir of HTM-200s for surround duty). After some playing around and tweaking they blend well with the Ascend's and make it seem like all the sound is coming from the 170's. A pair of these should be even better. My RX-A700 supports 7.2 but in my apartment I only realistically have space for one and besides that I don't want to PO the neighbors and get evicted. Something to consider is the use of a sub riser, as the rear port in on the bottom left corner, and in my experience raising the sub off the floor helped to de-couple the bass being absorbed by the carpeting. There are some you can get from Auralex such as the Sub-Dude, Gramma and Great Gramma. I personally chose the DIY route, since the size of the VX-11 wasn't too friendly with any of the risers I mentioned. Here is a link to a gallery I have posted on blu-ray.com that shows the build and the materials used. It raised the sub 5" off the floor and helped it sound a little less boomy and added some depth and impact.
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=darkpoet25&folderid=6518

Cliff
post #13 of 101 Old 01-12-2013, 11:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
I used to own a VX-10, the previous version. That dual sub special definitely seems a very good option as long asyou are not looking for below 30hz response.

post #14 of 101 Old 01-13-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 View Post

I currently have a VX-11 myself and I really like it. Bear in mind it is a budget sub, and may not get as deep as a sub from say HSU or SVS, but for me it gets the job done. I listen to music with on all the time, and it helps to add a little more depth to the music. The speakers in my system are a pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's a CMT-340 center and a pair of Athena AS-B1's(to be replaced by a apir of HTM-200s for surround duty). After some playing around and tweaking they blend well with the Ascend's and make it seem like all the sound is coming from the 170's. A pair of these should be even better. My RX-A700 supports 7.2 but in my apartment I only realistically have space for one and besides that I don't want to PO the neighbors and get evicted. Something to consider is the use of a sub riser, as the rear port in on the bottom left corner, and in my experience raising the sub off the floor helped to de-couple the bass being absorbed by the carpeting. There are some you can get from Auralex such as the Sub-Dude, Gramma and Great Gramma. I personally chose the DIY route, since the size of the VX-11 wasn't too friendly with any of the risers I mentioned. Here is a link to a gallery I have posted on blu-ray.com that shows the build and the materials used. It raised the sub 5" off the floor and helped it sound a little less boomy and added some depth and impact.
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=darkpoet25&folderid=6518
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 View Post

Something to consider is the use of a sub riser, as the rear port in on the bottom left corner

Thanks for the input and info on the DIY riser to fit. If I run duals, that method will be way cheaper than buying two SubDudes.
post #15 of 101 Old 01-13-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4orced4door View Post

I ordered a pair too, will have them Monday. Won't be able to install them for a couple weeks though, let us know your impressions!

Awesome, I'm interested to hear your opinions on them...so far I am not disappointed....I've been messing around with the dual sub placement and setting trying to get things right.....my main test track has been from the blue man group DVD audio disc and listening to "club nowhere".....it has and awesome low droning bass thump that is constant throughout the song and impressive to hear...it really sounds cool....my floor shakes a bit with it too... I also did a comparison with my friends bic f-12 at his place and then brought it to my house and played with it there too...I'll write more about this tomorrow probably....

Just watched Ratatouille this afternoon and the scenes with the low bass were great with the new configuration...the thunder in the beginning made me jump for a sec as I heard and felt it when he was roasting his food on the chimney....haha
post #16 of 101 Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM

Nice! I started my own DIY riser setup based on what others have done and what materials I had access to (and what I already had laying around). I think it's going to come out awesome. Waiting on a new staple gun to come in, will post up with info when I'm done with them. It's basically a DIY SubDude to fit. A fairly different route than what Darkpoet did. I'm installing these subs in a new apartment with new neighbors above me so I want to do what I can to get more volume in my apartment without bugging them. The living room is pretty small, it should work out great. Can't wait.
post #17 of 101 Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nice! I started my own DIY riser setup based on what others have done and what materials I had access to (and what I already had laying around). I think it's going to come out awesome. Waiting on a new staple gun to come in, will post up with info when I'm done with them. It's basically a DIY SubDude to fit. A fairly different route than what Darkpoet did. I'm installing these subs in a new apartment with new neighbors above me so I want to do what I can to get more volume in my apartment without bugging them. The living room is pretty small, it should work out great. Can't wait.
Cool, post pictures of it all when you get it done....I did the quick cutting board under the sub trick..but couldn't tell much of a difference...but I didn't have much time to mess with it either...had to put it back before my wife got home and noticed it...haha
post #18 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

OK, so This weekend I went to a friends house toting one of the two VX-11's that I bought to compare it to his BIC F-12, another sub which I was really interested in buying....but passed up in order to get two VX-11's for a few dollars more than a single BIC F12.

The scenes we watched and compared were
- "The Polar Express" Scene 2 , when the train arrives outside the boys house
- "The Dark Knight Rises" when Bane blows the stadium and surrounding areas
- "U-571" Opening depth charge scene
- "Blue Man Group, DVD-Audio Disc" Club Nowhere.

When hearing the F12 on these scenes, it was quite impressive and fun to watch and feel the couch rumble a bit or hear the bass hitting pretty hard we went through them all and I was pretty impress and pretty anxious to see how the VX-11 compared.
I hooked up the VX-11 in the exact same spot and went through the same scenes again and much to my surprise....I got pretty much the same experience out of the little 10" VX-11, in some scenes, the bass seemed a little bit tighter than the F12, but it might have just been me. After discussing with my friend, we both came to the conclusion that both subs were very comparable in what we heard and saw for the movies and my buddy was pretty impress in what the VX-11 had to offer.

Next, I packed up his F12 and took it to my place to do a F12 to Dual VX-11 comparison.
Hooking the F12 sub up to my receiver (which had previously been tweaked and setup for the VX-11's) the very first thing I notice was that I was barely getting any output from the F12. This is where I began to realize We should have messed with settings a little more at my buddy's house....as when I plugged the VX-11 in, it was a mere swap out and no adjustments were made to the receiver or otherwise, it was a simple swap and listen. I began to wonder now if our comparison was now flawed because we were feeding the VX-11 and the levels needed to power the F12...in the end though, it did not seem like we were overpowering the VX-11 in any way at my buddies house.

In order to get the output desired once the F12 was tested at my house, I had to bump the Subwoofer level up on my receiver from the -2 to +3-5 area to get the output out of the F12, my guess is that is simply because the F12 is a much more power hungry and has a much more powerful amp, so it makes sense it would need more juice. Please correct me if I am wrong in this assumption.

To preface the rest of this, we were unable to due and proper sub calibration with the F12 at my place other that the "That sounds about right method" so I have no way of knowing for sure if I was pushing too much, too little or just right amount of juice and speaker level to the F12. I wish I could have done a better comparison by setting the DB level and all...I tried briefly to get it as close as I could with a DB meter but it was a bit difficult with the wives talking on and off in the background, but it seemed that from the reading I could get during the quiet moments that the settings we had picked were pretty close to getting what it should read on the DB meter.

Anyways, we went through all the scenes mentioned before with the addition of The Opening Sequence to Master and Commander. and The two VX-11's definitely seemed more full and even and had more oomph to them, but the F12 seem to have just that little extra bit of rumble to it that I am guessing is from the lower depths that the F12 can reach compared to the VX-11. It was very hard to say one was totally better than the other...The only significant difference I can remember when comparing them where during the first canon scene in master and commander, I felt my shoe vibrate a bit with the F12 hooked up and that little bit "fun" seemed to be missing from my VX-11's, but I do not know if this was from having the F12 set to a higher level that the VX-11's (this was before I checked the DB settings and we started out higher than we should have and could have been a very real possibility) Or from the F12 being able to deliver a little bit lower than the vx-11's

The overall conclusion we came to was that for about the same price, we both had pretty great budget systems that were both very pleasing, fun and exciting to listen to. The only thing I regretted after the test was maybe not being able to test or get to 12" subs for my house instead of two 10"....and not for feeling that the VX-11's were lacking in any way, but for wondering, "man if the two VX-11's sound this great, what might two decent 12" subs sound like. The only other option to the dual VX-11's I would consider would be two Dayton Sub-1200's for a few dollars more than the VX-11 setup and that is only because they have pretty darn good reviews and are similar in price.

For the most part my buddy thought it was almost a wash between the F12 and the two VX-11's giving the VX-11's a little more just because of the advantages dual subs gave. Now I need to play around with the VX-11's and see if I can get my shoe to vibrate again, even if it would be and not normal listening levels...haha

It was clear the F12 had more(or demanded more) power than the single VX-11 right from the start with having to tweak my receiver just to power it. But both subs had WAY more than enough power needed for either of our rooms. The settings for volume on both of our subs were not even past the 1/4 turn mark and they were putting out way more than we would ever need for reasonable listening.

My personal opinion with my half-@ssed comparison (I wish I had more time to take proper measurements and all, maybe again another time) is that I am very happy with my VX-11 purchase and they can really boost the bottom end. Even just a single VX-11 makes me wonder how I get so much power from such a little box...even my buddy was impressed at the size and the output...The F12 isn't gigantic (it was actually smaller than I was imagining it), but the VX-11 still looks kinda puny next to it. (dang, should have take some pictures). But for it's puny size it kept up very well to the point that most of the time we couldn't even tell a difference when comparing one to the other. With the only memorable difference of the shoe vibrating in master and commander (but not know for what reason, too high volume on F12 at the time, or because it reaches lower) I did personally feel that the bass on the VX-11's seemed a little bit tighter to me than on the F12. I have only had the VX-11's for a few days, so they have not really been broken in yet either, they have a while before that happens, whereas the F12 was also fully broken in when tested. whether it makes a difference or not, I don't know, but I figure I would put it out there.

I did a quick frequency sweep not long after the first setup and got reasonable output out of the VX-11's down until about 28HZ and then it dropped off fairly quick, I have not tested again with the new arrangement though (Original placement was with one sub on either side of the entertainment center).

As mentioned earlier, I tweaked things a bit more with the VX-11's and their new placement (below) and really enjoyed the low bass parts in the begging half of Ratatouille, it was fun to listen to and feel the bass.

I really like the Dual VX-11 setup and I have settled on this configuration finally for sound and "funness", funness being the "I can feel that too" effect. I get the floor rumbling and some feel it effect with both up front, but get more with one sub sitting in the back next to the couch making it a lot more fun.

Room: Anyone please give me feedback about my room setup and suggestions, any help would be appreciated if you think something would be better than what I have setup

BTW, anyone interested, I found this site where I made the room diagram, pretty slick and easy: (http://www.planyourroom.com/)

Specs for each:

VX-11:
Amplifier: 100 watts RMS Class D 150 watts peak
Woofer: 10' (24.5 cm) forward firing(7.65' piston diameter)
Magnet Structure: 2 Ibs. (0 .9 Kg)
Frequency Response: 33-140 Hz (+/- 3 dB)
Voice Coil: 1.6' copper-wound
Cone: Coated fiber
Low Pass Crossover 50 Hz - 200 Hz
Cabinet Design: Bass-reflex with built-in power amplifier
Inputs: RCA Line Level, LFE and
Phase: 0 or 180
Weight (approx.): 35bs. (16 Kg)
Dimensions 15' x 12' x 17' (HLW/D) (38 x 30 x 43 cm)
Warranty (parts/labor)(North America): Three years (electronics) Five years (drivers)

Bic F12:
Design: Front-firing 12-inch, 475-watt peak powered subwoofer
Frequency Response: 25Hz - 200Hz
Sensitivity: 90dB
Drivers: 12-inch injection molded woofer with heavy duty surround
Magnetic Shielding: Yes
Gold-Plated Terminals:Yes
Recommended Power: Built-in Amplifier Power: 475 watts Dynamic Peak, 150 watts RMS continuous
Impedance: 8 ohms
Dimensions: 21 x 19 x 22 inches (HxWxD)
Weight: 42.70 pounds each
Warranty: 5 years parts and labor
likemovies likes this.
post #19 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the write up. Try getting both subs off the left wall if possible. Centered front and rear or diagonal (move front sub to the right of the tv or vice versa) if you can.

To me the point of the dual subs isn't to produce more volume than a single 12" but to spread it out in the room better and have less load on a single driver to reach the same amount of volume.
post #20 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks again for the effort and write up. Interesting stuff.

post #21 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for the write up. Try getting both subs off the left wall if possible. Centered front and rear or diagonal (move front sub to the right of the tv or vice versa) if you can.

To me the point of the dual subs isn't to produce more volume than a single 12" but to spread it out in the room better and have less load on a single driver to reach the same amount of volume.

Yeah, I did that and my "BOOM" corner is the front right corner, and the 2nd best is the rear right where I have sub B at the moment...and I like the way it sounds a lot with both on the right side on the Front Right and Rear Right, but it seems to throw the balance or something off...even though it is omnidirectional, I can feel and notice the impacts coming from the right...or if I have it really loud (testing things out) I notice my right ear gets beaten up a little more than my left since everything is been thrown at the right side (if that makes any sense) It is also super powerful with both speakers in the front right corner next to each other, but I get a little bit of the same effect...

Placement is not a problem, I can put them there, but it just seems as if I am getting attacked from the right where both subs reside if I put them there and I am not sure why 100% other than both subs are on that side.

HMM....looking at my picture, it didn't come out right...I'll try another
post #22 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice write up.

If you can do two 12" subs with more solid output down to 20hz, certainly would notice a difference. But at that around $200 price point, certainly sounds like the dual VX-11s are an equitable alternative to the BIC F12 in overall performance.

post #23 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I'm not sure how well the Bic's hold up, but I have two VX10's, one of which is about 9 years old, and it's still going strong.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #24 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Just uploaded a pic of my room layout in the post above instead of the crappy pixel representation I tried to have before....Please comment on my setup too if you think I should or could change anything to make it better, I tried to include a few notes about speaker height and all too..The satellites are the Energy Take Classic speakers...for the whole setup I spent about $353, toss in the receiver, a Yamaha HTR-5760 I picked up a few months ago for $20 from a church garage sale and that totals up to $373 smile.gif

I do have an old pair of floor standing Sony SS-mf515's that I have been thinking about buying a center for on e-bay (I think the CN490) and using for the front of the room and using the takes for the rear surrounds...right now SBL and SBR are two cheapo sony's from an old HTIB system I have had for about 10 years, but they seem to get the job done. But if I put the Sony's up front, I could use the two front take speakers for SBL and SBR also...please let me know any thoughts on this too.
Thanks!
post #25 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I'm not sure how well the Bic's hold up, but I have two VX10's, one of which is about 9 years old, and it's still going strong.

Ian
Awesome, good to hear, I had read lots of good reviews about the VX-10's also and that helped swing my decision to the VX-11's also...
post #26 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Nice write up.

If you can do two 12" subs with more solid output down to 20hz, certainly would notice a difference. But at that around $200 price point, certainly sounds like the dual VX-11s are an equitable alternative to the BIC F12 in overall performance.
Yeah, how much difference do you think I would notice with two Dayton Sub-1200's? I think I would get a little more output and boom, but not sure on quality of bass or the "fun" factor, although there seem to be a bunch of good reviews on them.
post #27 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnconync View Post

Yeah, how much difference do you think I would notice with two Dayton Sub-1200's? I think I would get a little more output and boom, but not sure on quality of bass or the "fun" factor, although there seem to be a bunch of good reviews on them.

I'm talking about two Klipsch RW-12D or even more expensive 12" subs.

I have two 18" subs biggrin.gif

post #28 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Nice! I was looking at a single RW-12D when they were on for $299 (although you could argue that it was on $70 more, but the next best things is only just a few dollars more than $299 and so on and so on ...haha) ...but the price was still too steep for me....I had trouble getting away with what I have now....hopefully I did good for my money...So in your opinion...it wouldn't be worth it to go to two Dayton 12" over the two vVelodyne VX-11's?
post #29 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No. I wouldn't return the Velodynes. First of all, return shipping would cost you a lot of money. Doubtful that the Daytons are going to sound better overall than the Velodynes. Maybe they'll go louder, but it already sounds like you have getting plenty of volume out of your current duals. If they were better sounding, it would be marginal.

Save your money until you KNOW you can step up significantly in quality.

post #30 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

No. I wouldn't return the Velodynes. First of all, return shipping would cost you a lot of money. Doubtful that the Daytons are going to sound better overall than the Velodynes. Maybe they'll go louder, but it already sounds like you have getting plenty of volume out of your current duals. If they were better sounding, it would be marginal.

Save your money until you KNOW you can step up significantly in quality.
+1

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Vx 11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page