Building a subwoofer with Def Tech cabinet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I am a newbie without any technical experience. So would like some advice from you. Here is the situation: I have a spare Def. Tech supercube II subwoofer cabinet, but no components for it. I would like to see if I can build a subwoofer using that by buying components. My options to build this out are:

1) Buy Def. Tech amplifiers (low/high), woofer and 2 passive radiators from an authorized source - likely to be more expensive than buying a new subwoofer

2) Buy any 8"woofer, passive radiators and amplifiers from a kit - is this even possible ? if so where can I get it ? Would it even work ? the only thing I know is that the subwoofer volume is a very critical factor

3) Just not worry about building it as I will never get the sonic characteristics right if I use a third party kit and buying components from Def Tech is likely to be more expensive than buying a whole new subwoofer.

Let me know what you think. Appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 66
3, you're better off buying a 15 or 18 inch sub and making a new enclosure
post #3 of 5 Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
You could make use of that sub cabinet. You will never match DT's bs claims, but you could get a sub with 100 db output capability down to about 30hz for about $250

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-458

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=301-510

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-492

You have to add at least 200g of mass to each PR (300g would be better), which would mean finding washers that fit the PR, and weighing them out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-05-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the help and the parts list. That would be a decent sub for that price, with the experience of building something out. Def tech says they have a low level and high level amp in the sub. Is the Yung class D amp module good enough ?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
With the drivers shown in that cabinet size, that amp works very well. I have no idea if you would have to modify anything on the cabinet to make any of those components fit though.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page