Does size or shape matter if I want a sub that works well with action films? Suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-05-2013, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So here are a few things to note:

1. I am on a $400 - $600 budget for a subwoofer (times are somewhat tough for me currently, but not scary bad)
2. My basement rental suite is 8 ft H x 10 ft x 20 ft
3. carpeted floors, popcorn ceiling.

Having just seen Skyfall last night, I know I will be buying this film on Bluray and all the gunfire, explosions, etc are all very impressive and clean in the theaters, so I'm looking for something that is similar.

I don't like the distorted boominess that shakes walls or floors, but making every punch or kick sound nice and *ahem*, punchy. wink.gif

Now, I was wondering if a cube shaped sub will ultimately be better than a cylinder shaped one for example, and if a 12" should be better than an 8" even though it could retail less, due to the brand or materials used?

So I'm hoping you guys can help me out on suggesting a $400 - $600 subwoofer that works well with B&W 600 series, Monitor Audio RX1s or Wharfedale Diamonds 10.1 series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-05-2013, 03:17 AM

Liked: 801
A decent sub works well with "ANY" speaker system. With that posted, subwoofer budgets are everything. As to your stated budget, a pair of on sale Klipsch, RW-12d's at Newegg ($299.99) is going give you the best bang for the buck as pretty much, the sky's the limit as to how much one can spend on subwoofers.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-05-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 239
The shape of the sub doesn't matter. Although almost all subs are rectangular and I'm not aware of any cylindrical subs in your price range. Unless they're used.

Whether or not your room shakes has very little to do with the quality of the sub. It mainly has to do with how loud the sub is. Although better subs tend to be louder and can play lower frequencies, so maybe what you want is a bad sub smile.gif.

All things being equal, a 12" driver is better than an 8", but there are probably exceptions.

Getting a pair of Klipsch subs as mentioned above is a good suggestion.
post #4 of 21 Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

So here are a few things to note:
1. I am on a $400 - $600 budget for a subwoofer (times are somewhat tough for me currently, but not scary bad)
2. My basement rental suite is 8 ft H x 10 ft x 20 ft
3. carpeted floors, popcorn ceiling.
Having just seen Skyfall last night, I know I will be buying this film on Bluray and all the gunfire, explosions, etc are all very impressive and clean in the theaters, so I'm looking for something that is similar.
I don't like the distorted boominess that shakes walls or floors, but making every punch or kick sound nice and *ahem*, punchy. wink.gif
Now, I was wondering if a cube shaped sub will ultimately be better than a cylinder shaped one for example, and if a 12" should be better than an 8" even though it could retail less, due to the brand or materials used?
So I'm hoping you guys can help me out on suggesting a $400 - $600 subwoofer that works well with B&W 600 series, Monitor Audio RX1s or Wharfedale Diamonds 10.1 series.
Shape does not matter. Im with a 8'' subwoofer right now in my living room that is 4.3x4.6m. Its pretty good for its size, although im considering a 12'' sub. Get a 12'' sub.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Perhaps HSU MBM-12 is what you need.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Perhaps HSU MBM-12 is what you need.

Does this go very deep, that some movies use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

A decent sub works well with "ANY" speaker system. With that posted, subwoofer budgets are everything. As to your stated budget, a pair of on sale Klipsch, RW-12d's at Newegg ($299.99) is going give you the best bang for the buck as pretty much, the sky's the limit as to how much one can spend on subwoofers.

I've narrowed it down to a 12" subwoofer, and have added the Klipsch RW-12d to my "wish list". Looks aesthetically pleasing, and I assume this will work well matched with the speakers I mentioned?

One more question; will heavier the sub usually mean better components and higher quality for the end result? I know this is true for speakers.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-06-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

It doesn't go deep because it's not designed for that.
You mention that you want "punch"...and punchy bass is not not deep bass. Punch = mid bass.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:

I've narrowed it down to a 12" subwoofer, and have added the Klipsch RW-12d to my "wish list". Looks aesthetically pleasing, and I assume this will work well matched with the speakers I mentioned?
One more question; will heavier the sub usually mean better components and higher quality for the end result? I know this is true for speakers.

It's all about budget and how much you have to spend. As the quality/performance goes up, so goes the price. In my opinion, arguably, the next best sub is in the $750.00 range. The next level is the $1,000.00 - $1,250.00 ranges. And each step will be earned by paying, just that much more. It's about quality of parts; amplifier, box and subwoofer driver. Weight isn't a secondary consideration although things do start to weigh more as more is added to the box to increase performance levels. See it in the light of a garden hose weighing more as the length of a hose increases from a twenty-five foot hose, to a fifty foot hose to a hundred foot hose. It's not about the weight of the hose, because it's about the length of the hose, but yes, longer hoses do weigh more than shorter hoses. That sort of thing.

Now the question, what length of garden hose do you want for a subwoofer? tongue.gif
post #9 of 21 Old 01-06-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Perhaps his wife could best answer that.eek.gif

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #10 of 21 Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 AM

.....tongue.gif
post #11 of 21 Old 01-06-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

It doesn't go deep because it's not designed for that.
You mention that you want "punch"...and punchy bass is not not deep bass. Punch = mid bass.

Not sure if I'm using these terms correctly or not, but extension means how low it will go in terms of frequency range... and output is how loud it can go while not cracking or sounding bad.

I need a sub, likely a 12 or even a 15 inch driver that has excellent extension, sounds clean when very low bass is outputted, and can be used at low to moderate volume levels.

I am considering getting TWO cheap 10 inch subs or a large single, 12 or 15 inch sub. Though if I go 15, I am afraid this is super over-kill. I've looked at a PSA brand woofer (XV15), that costs $749 USD, and weighs close to 92 pounds! eek.gif

And, looking at the actual dimensions of the sub, it's FREAKIN' HUGE, lol
post #12 of 21 Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:

And, looking at the actual dimensions of the sub, it's FREAKIN' HUGE, lol

Unfortunately, in the case of subwoofers, that's how one gets where they want to go.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-06-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I hope you're prepared to deal with pissed off neighbors, being in an apartment and wanting deep clean bass. A pair of subs is definitely the way to go for smooth bass response in your room. The Klipsch units at $300 ea are hard to beat.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

I hope you're prepared to deal with pissed off neighbors, being in an apartment and wanting deep clean bass. A pair of subs is definitely the way to go for smooth bass response in your room. The Klipsch units at $300 ea are hard to beat.

Well, how would I piss anyone off if I kept the gain to the lowest setting and have the overall sound volume to be moderate on the receiver?

So if you recommend a pair, you say two Klipschs are better than one larger one like the PSA 15" one, right?

If I go with pairs, would two quality 10" subs be good enough, or rather, better than one great 12" subwoofer? And should I buy sealed or ported?
post #15 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ported will give you more output. You can't afford 2 quality sealed subs. 1 RW12 will probably be good for an apt that size. Get 1 on sale if you haven't already missed out. I am in an apt that's roughly the same size. In the unlikely event you decide you want 2 then get another. Or if you are just itching to spend $600 then get 2 and you will be sure to have good coverage and plenty of headroom.

post #16 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:

Well, how would I piss anyone off if I kept the gain to the lowest setting and have the overall sound volume to be moderate on the receiver?

That's like saying: "Your Honor, I have six hundred horses under the hood but I promise never to violate posted speed laws."

Sure!. Can you say "THX" reference levels?

My recommendation, if living in a communal living arrangement, "fer-get-about-it." Get a single sub and be happy or move to a place where folks don't care about how loud you like to play it.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Everyone isn't a trouble maker.rolleyes.gif I have an RW and a Bic F12 in my apt and haven't seen the judge yet.

post #18 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Everyone isn't a trouble maker.rolleyes.gif

And despite what some say, not everyone is blessed with a sense of humor.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 04:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

And despite what some say, not everyone is blessed with a sense of humor.
You are banished from the herd for blasphemy. biggrin.gif

post #20 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 64
once calibrated, you won't be using the gain knob... you'll want to use your AVR's internal settings to make changes there. What AVR are you using? and does it have any room correction software?

It's for 'wall hung dude', and no, I don't need any help to 'hook-up'.... sheesh ... dirty minds around these parts....
post #21 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

You are banished from the herd for blasphemy. biggrin.gif

Again?

..tongue.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version