[B]*PLEASE HELP ME*[/B] SVS PB-13 Ultra {OR} Rythmik FV15HP Subwoofer {Experiences, Opinion, Thoughts, Reviews, Comparisons, Insight, & General Knowledge Or Ideas) - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which Is The Best Option For My Current Setup; SVS PB-13 Ultra {OR} Rythmik FV15HP Subwoofer????
Rythmik FV15HP (based on sound quality / personal preference) 17 45.95%
Rythmik FV15HP (based on price / slight differences doesn't justify $600 price difference) 9 24.32%
SVS PB-13 Ultra (based on sound quality / personal preference) 8 21.62%
Either One Will Sound Great With Your Current Setup / No Personal Preference 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 100 Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please Help Me Decide Between These 2 Subwoofers Based On Your Own Individual Experiences, Opinions, Comparisons, Thoughts, Insight, General Knowledge Or Maybe Even A Helpful Little Review If You Own One Or Have Experienced One First Hand For Yourself In The Past. Unfortunately it is not possible for me to hear / audition either speaker for myself before purchasing either, but I have read many reviews on various subs, including a dozen or more on these 2, in an effort to try and help myself decide exactly what I need. As stated before, I have painstakingly narrowed it down to these 2 highly praised subs for numerous reasons that I won't go too far in depth with or bore you further with so lets just say its gotta be one of these 2 or it wont be going in the living room. *Whip Cracking Sound From The My Woman* The 2 Beautiful Beasts I Cant Decide Between Are The SVS PB-13 Ultra {13.5"} & The Rythmik FV15HP {15"} Subwoofers. Regardless of which one I end up choosing I still plan on adding a second sub (obviously of the same model) about a month or so later, to hopefully help smooth out the in-room frequency response a little & lighten the loads placed on the first one when played at, and sometimes even above, reference levels. Especially when the woman isn't home to stop me.

With That In Mind, And After Considering Some, If Not All, Of The Information Contained In The Post Below; PLEASE HELP ME MAKE THE "RIGHT" CHOICE.
I have slightly over one month before I make my final decision & purchase my first "real" subwoofers and therefor I am in one heck of a pickle because I honestly can't decide between the piano gloss version of the Rythmik FV15HP {$3400 = $1700 x 2 Shipped} and the SVS PB-13 Ultra {$4000 / $2000 x 2 Shipped} with a similar finish.... I have read numerous reviews on both speakers (reviews that were both professional, opinionated, biased, and even a few that were objective / un-biased or so I hope.) Moving on, I really think I could possibly be happy with either one on the two units in question, but I would like some help and advice from some of you that may own these subs or even just a similar sub from either company. Maybe even if you have just heard the subs in question first hand before at some point or are generally knowledgeable on these, and other, subwoofers.
Ultimately I would hate to have spent $3600, or even $4000, only to end up disappointed, or possibly left wondering if I made a well informed decision or not. If at all possible, in the end I'd like to leave this forum / discussion knowing that I made a well informed decision to buy a quality product that will bring out the most in my current setup for movie nights at home and listening to my LP's during the lunch hour. I am honestly on the fence and keep going back and forth, but as of this week I am slightly leaning towards the Rythmik.

Anyway, my search began because I need a real sub to go with my new Aperion Audio Verus Grand 7.2 setup where my current ".2" are now crap by comparison. I am in the middle of creating a "real" home theater setup and its time to upgrade the subwoofers to something worthy of crossing-over with these amazing speakers I have come to love. I need it to dig down deep, sound really good playing movies and music (80% Movie / 20% Music), and also has a lot of output as well. (I know I'm asking a lot) Another aspect would be its ability to blend well in to my current system while playing loud enough to keep up with my system at above reference levels, but i doubt either would have much problem. Regardless of whichever sub i buy i also plan on adding a second one of the same type in a few months, but this purchase would be intended to last, hopefully, for a few years, so id like to make a well informed decision and buy a sub I am going to love the sound of. That said, I will try and list a few details that might help you in helping me decide. (Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, especially ones that are based on good information and can be helpful)

I am fairly new in the home theater hobby (a little over 1 year), but i read up on it constantly through various websites, magazines, forums. Anyway this is what i guess you would call my 2nd home theater setup. Or at least an evolution of my 1st one and what its become.

CURRENT EQUIPMENT / SETUP;
- Onkyo 818 Receiver (PreOut)
- Wyred 4 Sound MC7X250 Amplifier
(7 x 250 watts @8ohms / 7 x 550watts @4ohms)
- Oppo BDP-103 Universal Blu-Ray Player (SACD/DVD-A)
- Music Hall MMF-2.2LE Turntable
- Custom Intel Core i7 2700K HTPC
(My Own Custom Design & Build)
- PS3 (w/ 512GB OCZ SSD Boot Drive)
- Xbox 360 (w/ 750GB Hybrid SSD)
- Furman Elite-15 PFi (Surge Protector)
- Aperion Audio Verus Grand Towers (fronts/6ohm)
- Aperion Audio Verus Grand Center (center/6ohm)
- Aperion Audio Verus Grand Bookshelf (surrounds/6ohm)
[/I]

As for my current "subwoofers" *Take A Deep Breath, Cringe, And Pause For Laughter* lets just get it out there and admit my mistakes and say that they are a set of "one note", bloated, port chuffing, and bloomy Polk Audio PSW505 that I bought for $150 each @ NewEgg.com before I really knew any better and randomly decided I wanted to move away from the world of HTIB setups & thinking Best Buy was the only place around that sold speakers. Go ahead and chuckle, I now would too in your shoes, but this is technically only my 2nd attempt at putting together my own setup, with those being all thats really left over from the first.
There are also various ther electronic goodies attached to the full setup, but I don't think listing them here would serve much purpose.

The "listening area" is a living room that connects to an open kitchen/dining room through two open sides with one wall running between the two rooms in the middle that doesn't seal the rooms off from one another that has a large couch against it (main seating area). I know this isn't ideal for listening purposes but it's where the girlfriend wants the couch, so I'm forced to make due. *I will attempt to embed, or attach, a picture of the room dimensions and layout with this post*

Some of my concerns with the SVS are the fact that the piano black finish doesn't seem to be in stock very often and when it is actually in stock it sells out quickly (so getting 2 of them about month apart when I need / want them might be tricky to say the least.) Also I worry slightly about some of the reviews and various posts in a few forum discussions I have read that all say how the frequency response doesn't dig as deep when compared to the Rythmik (I would assume this is because of the 1.5" difference in surface area between the two along with port tuning.) some forum users have said that it doesn't sound as good as other subs (like the Rythmik) or that SVS subs in general just aren't "musical" enough. (Not aure how true this is but it worries me.) Also, and this may be a dumb question, but does anyone here know if my Furman Elite 15PFI (surge protector) is capable of handling the SVS 1000 watt RMS, let alone its massive "peak" power moments this subwoofer is capable of on top of my existing amplifier without completely limiting their performance???? Lastly, like the Rythmik it was said to have audible port noise at high playback levels below 20hz (according to a review, I think it was on the audioholics and/or data-bass.) Regardless of which sire it was this is now a slight concern of mine. I'm not sure if port noise is common in all ported subs or not, although I'm pretty sure its fairly common, so I guess its something ill have to tame since I don't really want sealed subs for various reasons I won't get in to.
As for the Rythmik I have read that it has some audible port noise below 20hz which then gets even louder in 1 port tuning mode when played at high levels? Anyone experience this first hand or know just how bad it is?

I haven't heard either sub yet for myself and auditioning them is sadly not a possibility, which i probably the main reason why i am here and in need of your help, knowledge and opinions. So basically any truthful input on this would be greatly appreciated and please try to be unbiased if at all possible and treat both of my selections with some level of respect I guess. I know enough to know that I don't know everything about home theater and speaker setups and am still somewhat of a novice in this hobby that some of you have spent decades invested in but these seem to be my 2 best available options for my current setup, size limit, price limit, and WAF. I have the thumbs up on either unit so please help me out guys and/or girls on choosing between the 2 and not steering me towards another unit which might ultimately only confuse me further by making me do more research and second guess myself. (HaHa)

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies, and for just taking the time to actually read my post and hopefully answer some of my questions. Also thank you for, hopefully, taking my questions seriously even though I am new to the home theater game and am frequently still learning as I go along. I apologize for the massive length of this post, the general rumblings with-in, and multiple questions that may be disorganized, misspelled, and down right silly to some of this forums long-time users, but I believe that the best way to learn is to ask questions of the people who know more than you on a given subject, and who may or may not have been in your shoes before.
THANKS A LOT GUYS (and possibly girls),
- Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Wow, it must haven't taken you a little while to put this thread together.
post #3 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 02:03 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Anyway, my search began because I need a real sub to go with my new Aperion Audio Verus Grand 7.2 setup where my current ".2" are now crap by comparison.

Before you can pass go, you must learn how to get the best out of what you already have. Until then, you're throwing undercooked pasta against the wall in hopes that something sticks.

The point, based on your above, until you take the time learn to dial the subwoofer aspect of your system in, your quest will have no meaning and you won't get the best out of what ever it is you choose to buy. If you want two subs for a room, buy a pair of "any" decent internet direct subwoofer manufacture and you'll get similar results. Why? Because what affects one pair of subwoofers in a room, will affect any pair of subwoofers placed identically in a room, the same. Subwoofers are equal opportunity destroyers and compliment and destroy sounds waves equally.

The point, stop, kick back, learn to get the best out of what you have........then start moving forward again because putting two undialed in subs into a room, isn't going get you what you want, perfectly dialed in subwoofer sound.

Hope the above helps.
post #4 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 06:24 AM

Liked: 29
I looked closely at both options last month. At the end of the day, I went with the Seaton Submersive HP and could not be happier.

From my reading through the numerous posts, the SVS is a great sub for movies but just so-so for music. The Rythmik seems to be the new avsforum favorite, but the hot running amp scared me away from this choice. That and I've always been a fan for sealed subs.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, but for a few more benjamins a subM can be had. It gives me earth-shaking low bass for 5-star bass movies and the accuracy in all my music listening. It was not a hard choice at the end of the day for me.
post #5 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
it's 3800.00 for two sb13's not 4k...you get a 5% discount on x subs.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #6 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 137
TOOdamnFrank
You spent alot of time writing and preparing this thread so I can tell you are serious. The above 2 choices are so close in comparision that you could just as easily flip a coin as you could make an educated decision. What I mean by that is if it were a contest broke down into 10 different categories with a rating system of 1-10 with another 10 individuals rating each sub seperately then averaging the scores together for a possible total score of 100 I would guess that the 2 scores would be almost identical. Which one would win will come down to preference not performance.
SVS pulls as much performance as possible out of a 13.5 inch driver making it perform as well or better than larger drivers. The downside is no matter how much they can pull out of it they are still limited by a 13.5 inch driver. $2000. is alot for 13.5 inches.
Rythmic is a real winner in its own right with a huge list of satisfied customers and is known for its musical performance. The dowside is that amps that run hot burn out faster or have a shorter life expectancy than cooler running amps. That only matters if you plan on keeping it for 5+ years.
Now to go against your above choices and throw in 2 more long term subs which I know were not asked for but this is the 2 cents part. The SubM HP can be had for just a very little more (2 for $4400. + shipping or close) and is hands down winner if the above rating system was applied to it (most points out of a possible 100). Comes with 2 dual opposed 15" woofers and a 2400wpc amp.
The other is its competition and a ported design The JTR Captivator 2400. It goes for $2500 ($5000. for 2) but if you call Jeff you may end up with a better deal. Comes with a 18" woofer and a 2400wpc amp. The output is extreme and the SQ is Excellent!
The reason I mention those 2 is simply becuase when individuals owning one of your 2 choices (PB13/FV15HP) decide they want to upgrade the 2 I mentioned (SubM HP/ Captivator 2400) is what alot of them choose. You can read about it on thier respected threads.
I am trying to be ASdamnFrank as I can so hope short sweet honesty is appreciated.smile.gif
If you have a month just keep reading and it will make sense and if not flip a coin.tongue.gif
If it were me I would get more than I thought I might need to prevent the inevitable need for upgrading.
Good Luck
Chris
post #7 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 533
At this price point I would also be considering subs from Funk Audio. Between any of these brands I don't think you can go wrong.
post #8 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I went with a Rythmik FV15 (not the HP). In my new house the sound quality is amazing with everything, and I haven't even set it up as yet with Audyssey. You want to get to FV15HP's. You will not be sorry with that choice. The Rythmik is an amazing product.

Jeff
post #9 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroatl View Post

I looked closely at both options last month. At the end of the day, I went with the Seaton Submersive HP and could not be happier.
From my reading through the numerous posts, the SVS is a great sub for movies but just so-so for music. The Rythmik seems to be the new avsforum favorite, but the hot running amp scared me away from this choice. That and I've always been a fan for sealed subs.
I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, but for a few more benjamins a subM can be had. It gives me earth-shaking low bass for 5-star bass movies and the accuracy in all my music listening. It was not a hard choice at the end of the day for me.

The only time I heard of a hot amp was at the GTG when they were putting some pretty intense sine waves to it down to 5hz.

I have had mine for about a month now and have checked the amp multiple times after movie playthroughs and did not seem overly not to me...maybe a little mild but definitely not to the pint where you could not hold your hands it.

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro

my blu ray collection -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my modest theater -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but the hot running amp scared me away from this choice .

The only time I've really read anything about the FV15HP running hot was in the GTG thread and that was after beating on the sub for a while, The torture they put those subs thread; most people just wouldn't be doing that. I don't really think anyone should worry about a hot running amp on the FV15HP.
post #11 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have not heard the SVS PB-Ultra so I can't help you there.

I received my Rythmik FV15HP gloss black a few weeks ago and I am totally in love with it. I have it plugged into my Furman Elite 15PFI and I have had zero problems. I did plug my SC-35 and the Rythmik into the "boosted" outlets on the Furman though.

I was in the exact same boat as you last month and for some reason ended up buying the Rythmik instead of the SVS. Part or the reason might be that I had already owned a SVS sub in the past (not a Ultra) and I thought I might want to try another brand. The other main reason was all of the reviews that the FV15HP digs a little deeper, that was huge for me becaust I use mine for 90% movies.

I finally had a chance to put it through it's paces last night with my all-time favorite LFE Blu Ray, Tron. I could get my SVS to clip during the scene where Sam gets zapped onto the grid, the Rythmik handled that scene with ease at -10 on my AVR (as loud as I can turn it up). The best word that I could use to describe the Rythmik would be effortless.

Brian is a great guy also and earned a Rythmik customer for life with his outstanding customer service and top shelf product.

Like I have said before, good problem to have and both subs will knock your socks off. Congrats on the future purchase BTW.

Oppo BDP103, Mitsubishi WD8240, Klipsch RF-63's, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Furman Elite 15, Emotiva XPA-5, Harmony 1100, Rythmik FV15HP

post #12 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
no one has a better warranty than SVS 5yr b2b. if this matters to you at all. there isn't any comparable 13.5" sub out there that can come close to what the pb13 can do. however, if and win i decide to upgrade it will be the seaton or jtr route.
joseph10704 likes this.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #13 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Why is it that every time someone asks for advice on a specific sub or which would work better between two specific subs, people immediately start recommending other subwoofers? Its like if I said i have narrowed down my choices for a new car between a Camry and an Accord, and someone automatically posts that I need a Maxima. The first statement in his posts reads, Please Help Me Decide Between These 2 Subwoofers Based On Your Own Individual Experiences, Opinions, Comparisons, Thoughts, Insight, General Knowledge Or Maybe Even A Helpful Little Review If You Own One Or Have Experienced One First Hand For Yourself In The Past. So to answer the question. SVS PB13 ULTRA. The bass quality is awesome the build quality is awesome and the customer service is second to none. I own 2 of them and have never desired any other sub.
joseph10704 likes this.

Moving Heaven and Earth one Sub at a Time.
post #14 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

Quote:

The only time I heard of a hot amp was at the GTG when they were putting some pretty intense sine waves to it down to 5hz.

I have had mine for about a month now and have checked the amp multiple times after movie playthroughs and did not seem overly not to me...maybe a little mild but definitely not to the pint where you could not hold your hands it.

They did not engage the limiter before testing.

I have not read many posts(if any) regarding the Rythmik FV15HP amp or any of the other Rythmik's amps overheating.
Quote:
That and I've always been a fan for sealed subs.
I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, but for a few more benjamins a subM can be had.

If the Op has interest in a sealed sub, he could wait and see what the Rythmik F25 has to offer and probably save few hundred.
post #15 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5/SS View Post

I was in the exact same boat as you last month and for some reason ended up buying the Rythmik instead of the SVS.

In the above case, flip a coin and no matter which side comes up, the buyer (coin flipper) is going be a winner.
post #16 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

In the above case, flip a coin and no matter which side comes up, the buyer (coin flipper) is going be a winner.

Except one side of that coin will cost you an extra $600 wink.gif
post #17 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Based on the numbers from data-bass.com I really don't seem what the extra $600 gets you other then 3 extra years of warranty on the amp.
http://www.data-bass.com/systems
Both companies have great customer service so that's basically a wash.
post #18 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Holy crap, so many insightful replies in les than 24 hours. I'm amazed. I'm still reading through them right now but I'm already finding them each helpful. Thanks again guys. This forum is the tits.
post #19 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOdamnFRANK View Post

Holy crap, so many insightful replies in les than 24 hours. I'm amazed.

Try to get that at a Best Buy. tongue.gif
post #20 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

it's 3800.00 for two sb13's not 4k...you get a 5% discount on x subs.

It's also $2982 for two piano black FV15HPs shipped. You get a 10% discount off the price of the subs (not shipping) for multiples.

Below is the max output for the FV15HP (1 port) compared to the PB13-Ultra (15hz):

They are pretty close to 16hz, but then at 16hz the FV15HP pulls away. There is approximately a 9db different at 12.5hz. That is a significant difference in output.

Additionally, the FV15HP is $800 less when comparing to the PB13 pair.

If you have no preference in form factor, between these two pairs of subs, I would go with Rythmik.

post #21 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOdamnFRANK View Post

Holy crap, so many insightful replies in les than 24 hours. I'm amazed. I'm still reading through them right now but I'm already finding them each helpful. Thanks again guys. This forum is the tits.

Yeah, these guys were great when I was making my sub decision. They tend to be a little Rythmik crazy at times but great. You actually asked about Rythmik though so you were on point...lol.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #22 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

It's also $2982 for two piano black FV15HPs shipped. You get a 10% discount off the price of the subs (not shipping) for multiples.

Below is the max output for the FV15HP (1 port) compared to the PB13-Ultra (15hz):

They are pretty close to 16hz, but then at 16hz the FV15HP pulls away. There is approximately a 9db different at 12.5hz. That is a significant difference in output.

Additionally, the FV15HP is $800 less when comparing to the PB13 pair.

If you have no preference in form factor, between these two pairs of subs, I would go with Rythmik.

Dominguez1 and I have had this conversation before. I personally am not to concerned with having the best of the best output below 16hz, mostly because there's probably less then 10% of movie content that goes that low. But even with that said the performance difference of these two subs is so close that most people probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference between them. So once again I say what does the extra money you'd send get you besides a little bit of a longer warranty. It's really hard to beat the FV15HP unless you plan on spending close to $2500 on a single sub.
post #23 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Dominguez1 and I have had this conversation before. I personally am not to concerned with having the best of the best output below 16hz, mostly because there's probably less then 10% of movie content that goes that low. But even with that said the performance difference of these two subs is so close that most people probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference between them. So once again I say what does the extra money you'd send get you besides a little bit of a longer warranty. It's really hard to beat the FV15HP unless you plan on spending close to $2500 on a single sub.

Honestly below 20hz is probably more like 1-2% of movie content.

People that play to 5hz flat or so are chasing that 1% smile.gif

I think the dual Rythmik's are more bang for the buck vs the SVS, but SVS has better WAF and a better warranty.

If it was my money I would just go for dual Caps or dual Submerssives and call it a day. Start with one, and if it is not enough get another. Something tells me one may even be enough.
post #24 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 01:35 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31

I've owned the PB13 and tested it against some of, at the time, best "musical' subwoofers available being the JL Fathom F113 and Velodyne DD18 and it was in everyone's opinion who were at the meets neck and neck with the F113 for music and beat all for HT. It's flat out to 150/200hz (i.e., higher than you'll care to put it). Incredibly low group delay for a ported subwoofer, no port noise to speak of. I've never understood the "it's not good for music" comments. Here are Josh Ricci's ...

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/svs-pb13/pb13-listening-tests

FWIW, Audioholics gave the PB13 a 5 star rating, and the 15HP a 4.5 star rating for performance (and the reverse for value). Of course, the Rythmik review was done by Paul Appolino while the PB13 was Josh Ricci.

Come to think of it, since Josh has measured both, why not try PM'ing him for his opinion since it's very unlikely you'll find someone who went from one to the other and have therefore heard them in both rooms. Further, even if you have, I find people tend to say whatever they currently own is better than what they owned before simply because it's human nature to do so.

He may take a week or more to get back to you though if he does.

One other thing to consider is the PB13 offers a fairly decently capable "sealed" mode which you may want to try every now and then for music. Further, the amp controls are more expansive, in particular the room compensation control which could help assist should you have too much room gain down low that needs to be tamed and Audyssey can't do it on its own.

Personally I think you're splitting hairs here to some extent.

I'd probably go with the Rythmik if I was looking at the two again right now. Mind you, this is only because I've already enjoyed the PB13 in my room for years and would want to try something different, more than any other reason. cool.gif

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #25 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

I've owned the PB13 and tested it against some of, at the time, best "musical' subwoofers available being the JL Fathom F113 and Velodyne DD18 and it was in everyone's opinion who were at the meets neck and neck with the F113 for music and beat all for HT. It's flat out to 150/200hz (i.e., higher than you'll care to put it). Incredibly low group delay for a ported subwoofer, no port noise to speak of. I've never understood the "it's not good for music" comments. Here are Josh Ricci's ...

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/svs-pb13/pb13-listening-tests

FWIW, Audioholics gave the PB13 a 5 star rating, and the 15HP a 4.5 star rating for performance (and the reverse for value). Of course, the Rythmik review was done by Paul Appolino while the PB13 was Josh Ricci.

Come to think of it, since Josh has measured both, why not try PM'ing him for his opinion since it's very unlikely you'll find someone who went from one to the other and have therefore heard them in both rooms. Further, even if you have, I find people tend to say whatever they currently own is better than what they owned before simply because it's human nature to do so.

He may take a week or more to get back to you though if he does.

One other thing to consider is the PB13 offers a fairly decently capable "sealed" mode which you may want to try every now and then for music. Further, the amp controls are more expansive, in particular the room compensation control which could help assist should you have too much room gain down low that needs to be tamed and Audyssey can't do it on its own.

Personally I think you're splitting hairs here to some extent.

I'd probably go with the Rythmik if I was looking at the two again right now. Mind you, this is only because I've already enjoyed the PB13 in my room for years and would want to try something different, more than any other reason. cool.gif

Steve, was that the sledge amp? If not then the sledge would notch it up a 1//4 star. lol
post #26 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

If it was my money I would just go for dual Caps or dual Submerssives and call it a day.

Okay. It's your money and you now have a pair of dialed in SubMerssive HP's in your stable. Just when do you listen to your system, wife present, where you're seriously above -10? I have to start out at -20 and creep the sound meter up to -10, just to keep my wife from grabbing her temples as in it's too loud.

I get the whole smile/fun factor thing but in real terms, is one really listening to much more than -10 and if so, how often do you let the beast loose or is it more about bragging rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Mind you, this is only because I've already enjoyed the PB13 in my room for years and would want to try something different, more than any other reason. cool.gif

If it's working for you, considering how expensive, why the need to try something new?

(If I can, I prefer to research, buy and fa-get-about-it.)

-
post #27 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 02:07 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis-g View Post

Why is it that every time someone asks for advice on a specific sub or which would work better between two specific subs, people immediately start recommending other subwoofers? Its like if I said i have narrowed down my choices for a new car between a Camry and an Accord, and someone automatically posts that I need a Maxima. The first statement in his posts reads, Please Help Me Decide Between These 2 Subwoofers Based On Your Own Individual Experiences, Opinions, Comparisons, Thoughts, Insight, General Knowledge Or Maybe Even A Helpful Little Review If You Own One Or Have Experienced One First Hand For Yourself In The Past. So to answer the question. SVS PB13 ULTRA. The bass quality is awesome the build quality is awesome and the customer service is second to none. I own 2 of them and have never desired any other sub.

Yikes, I didn't mean to agravate you or anyone else. I initially was comparing SVS and Hsu, but upon many people's input, I started to narrow things down to Rythmik, JTR, and Seaton subs. The OP can factor and decipher what's important to him based on people chiming in. Rythmik was not even on my radar until many people brought it up. Some people even sent me PM's about Rythmik subs. As I mentioned in my previous post, the Rythmik seems to be a favorite among many members right now and rightfully so.

If a person is willing to spend $2000 for a sub like the PB13U, I don't think it's a stretch to move up a notch and consider JTR or Seaton as I did. I have read about numerous people upgrading from a PB13U to JTR and Seaton, so I don't think it's unfair to mention the next class of subs.

At the end of the day, it's his money to spend so I digress.
post #28 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If a person is willing to spend $2000 for a sub like the PB13U, I don't think it's a stretch to move up a notch and consider JTR or Seaton as I did. I have read about numerous people upgrading from a PB13U to JTR and Seaton, so I don't think it's unfair to mention the next class of subs.
At the end of the day, it's his money to spend so I digress.

I have to agree with this comment 110%, if you're willing to spend $2000 you almost have to consider something from either JTR, Seaton and even Funk Audio. Otherwise just stay with a $1500 budget and go with a FV15HP. I'd liked to hear back from someone who owns a PB13-Ultra as to what that extra $600+ gets you besides a little bit of a longer warranty on the amp.
post #29 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:

I have to agree with this comment 110%, if you're willing to spend $2000 you almost have to consider something from either JTR, Seaton and even Funk Audio.

Now I understand the whole play it loud and the smile/fun factor thing but what I've yet to be able to wrap my think around is listening to anything above +/- 0 through the entirety of a full presentation. Other than to say you can go louder, what's the benefit of going louder or having more headroom than what is asked by THX reference standards?

My above is not ridicule nor argument. My above is a simple question for the purpose of someone rationally explaining a behavior; the perceived need to greatly exceed THX reference.

-
post #30 of 100 Old 01-05-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

Dominguez1 and I have had this conversation before. I personally am not to concerned with having the best of the best output below 16hz, mostly because there's probably less then 10% of movie content that goes that low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Honestly below 20hz is probably more like 1-2% of movie content.
People that play to 5hz flat or so are chasing that 1% smile.gif

To each their own...smile.gif

It's an argument of preference where the right answer consists of what your goals and budget are; and that will differ with every room and budget.

I'll never convince someone that prefers a honda that it's worth the money to buy the commercial sports car that runs a 12 second quarter mile or less. There are probably less than 1% of all cars can perform at this level. However, IMO, it is well worth the having if it's within your means. Some will look at it as 'what a waste of money', others will look at it as 'wow, I can't wait to have that performance one day'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I get the whole smile/fun factor thing but in real terms, is one really listening to much more than -10 and if so, how often do you let the beast loose or is it more about bragging rights?

Keeping with the same analogy, it practical to have a car like this? I mean after all, the speed limit is 65mph, right? How many times do you get to use the extra performance? Again, it all depends on your situation. Some could track their car every weekend, so it would be worth it to them. Others may not ever track their car, but still love the exhilaration of the performance when they get to let loose.

Bring it back to subs, of my collection of blu-ray's, I'd say over 75% of them dig below 20hz. So, it is very much worth it to me. I'd probably say 50% dig below 16hz.

The other thing that I would say is unlike the 65mph speed limit, sub content is not limited. There are recordings that do call for '150mph', however brief they may be. If the sub content is there and its within your budget, why not go for it? If you haven't owned a 12 second or less car, you don't know what it's like. Just as if you haven't owned a sub system that can produce clean, reference level to well below 16hz, than you don't know what it's like. 

Deciding whether or not ULF is worth it, is certainly a preference thing. However, irregardless of your preference, reference does theoretically require 3hz playback. If you want to be 100% sure to deliver the content on the disc, than this should be your goal.

To me, it's well worth it if it's within your means and budget. And with DIY, it can be achieved much cheaper compared to commercial offerings. Your 12sec or less car can be built for a fraction of the price. smile.gif

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page